5.0 out of 5 stars The little speaker that could
Published on March 21, 2012 by DJ Apoc

2.0 out of 5 stars Great value, until they go bad
Published on August 12, 2011 by nicejob

2.0 out of 5 stars Great value, until they go bad, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Behringer EUROLIVE B212D Active 550-Watt 2-Way PA Speaker System with 12-inch Woofer and 1.35-inch Compression Driver (Electronics)
I bought a pair of these for my son, who is trying to start up a DJ biz. Sadly, within two months, the tweeter in one speaker quit working. Don't know if it's the tweeter itself, or the cross-over circuit. I was on hold trying to get to Behringer customer service for more than an hour. Even when I got thru, it took several follow up calls and emails to get an "RMA number" so that I could get the speaker repaired under warranty.

Well, that meant getting the speaker to a Behringer authorized service center at my own expense. Happily, there is on in my town, although quite a drive away. When I got there, carrying the speaker, and complained about the difficulty in getting the RMA, they laughed and said I'd actually gotten off easy. Then they said the company was notorious for not providing them with the parts they need to make the repairs. "Sometimes it takes them months," they said. They also indicated they see lots and lots of Behringer speakers and other products with defects and problems.

Long story short, the speaker has been languishing for ten weeks at the repair shop, and they still haven't gotten the part.

This is an oh-too-familiar example of a firm that offers a great up-front price and clearly doesn't care about building a relationship with their customers, standing behind their warranties, or even pretending to act in an ethical manner.

I won't ever buy anything from them again, and invite you to consider my experience when making a purchase choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The little speaker that could, March 21, 2012
After shopping around for weeks trying to decide which powered PA speaker I should buy, I finally settled on one of these. At first, I was disappointed when I plugged it in using the 1/4" jack, as it seemed to sound not very good at all. Well, it turns out that input is supposed to be used for a microphone (an input I don't need, since I plug my mic into my mixer) and has built-in frequency cutoffs for that input. I purchased a 1/4" to XLR patch cable at Radio Shack, and hooked it up that way, and let me just say... WOW! I can't believe how loud this little sucker gets.

You can definitely hear every bit of the 550 watts coming from this thing, and the quality is very good for a PA speaker in this price range. I doubt it would satisfy a serious audiophile, not for home use anyway, but if you're a DJ or looking for something to rock a party, you can't go wrong with this. Just pay attention to the little red light on the back, so long as it's not clipping, this speaker performs well at very high volumes for a very long period of time without getting damaged or over driven. I used this at a party where I had it running basically at max volume for 8 hours straight, and it was barely warm, thanks to the class D amp built in.

I like it so much, I just bought a second one to complete my set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attention Wedding DJ'S, May 5, 2011
I got this speaker for the sole purpose of using it to play music for wedding ceremonies and cocktail hour when a speaker is needed in a separate location. My main speakers are QSC K12's, enough said there.These Behringer 12 inch speakers pack quite a punch for their size and weight.Speaking of weight,most DJ's know you need light and portable especially for ceremonies and cocktail hour. Another great feature is they have not one but two handles to pick up the speaker. I would not be afraid to use it for a main speaker if I needed to.If you DJ a lot of weddings you can not go wrong with this. I DJ a lot of weddings and at my young age of 49 I'm using my head more and my back less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're getting, August 15, 2011
Okay, these speakers are not going to win any awards for critical listening. However, they are dirt cheap and light. As a solo part and half of a local duo, I play a lot of smaller venues where Mackies are overkill. After ten years of hauling them around, they just hurt my back and throw too far. I needed a light speaker capable of covering a maximum of about 100 people. These work. You'll need to spend some time with the EQ on your board as they have the weirdest frequency response I've ever heard. Roll the low end on the cabinet itself down to about 25% to get rid of the tubby resonance and substitute some low mids at your board and you'll have something workable for a small to medium sized room. You aren't going to get any thump in a medium room without a sub however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, September 25, 2011
I'm pretty new to music in general. I've played drums for a couple years and have found myself being the main sound guy for our 4-piece rock/funk/reggae/fusion band.

I recently bought (2) of the B212D's and we played our first show with them tonight. Combined with an old Yamaha 12/4 mixer and a rash of Behringer dynamic microhones, a few DI boxes, and one AKG 1000S condenser mic. Levels at ~30% on both L/R speakers and some of the audience actually suggested the vocals were "too" piercing. This was on a large outdoor patio area of the venue. We ran them as mains, pumping vocals, bass, keyboards, and acoustic mic'ed instruments (flute, ukulele) and found zero distortion. Crisp clean highs and a great rumbling low. These are going to be double-duty as home studio monitors for rehearsals as well.

I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase, esp. for the money. On a budget, but want good sound? You've found your middleground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, November 20, 2011
I purchased two of these speakers as part of a karaoke set-up. Unfortunately, one of them arrived and only worked for about ten seconds before it developed a terminal problem. It would produce a loud pop and then hum for five to ten seconds before powering itself off. I clicked on 'return item' and printed the mailing labels. Even before I could finish printing them I received an email saying another speaker was on the way with overnight shipping. So, yes I received a bad speaker, but with customer service like that I refuse to mark the product down. I actually received the replacement speaker in less than 24 hours, which, if you think about it, is pretty amazing.

Now, as to the speakers themselves: After the replacement arrived, I hooked them to my mixer and started playing music through them. Pretty darned good sound -- not top-notch super high fidelity, but very nice to listen to. And for Karaoke, well they're just perfect. Plenty powerful for any ordinary venue, such as a bar or medium conference room, they project sound quite nicely. Obviously not sufficient for a large hall or arena, their relative lightness and built in handles make them perfect for the mobile Karaoke DJ.

I may add a thumper sometime in the future, but these speakers will do the job quite nicely by themselves.

Bottom Line: If you're looking for a fun-crowd (meaning noisy and not interested in absolute high-fidelity) system for dance music or karaoke, these speakers are certainly up to the job for any space up to the ordinary neighborhood bar.

I recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaker of the Year!!!, October 7, 2013
Wow. I love these speakers. I recommend them to anyone playing for small events. I used them at a High school back to school dance. The kids loved them. Even the teachers said- Not too loud- Just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker for the price., August 20, 2013
Switched from passive to active speakers. These deliver a much cleaner sound with plenty of power. They work great on acoustic guitar and vocals. If you mic a kick or bass I would recommend the 15's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodspeakers., July 30, 2013
These put out plenty of sound and are really quit light so they are easy to move around. I wished that they had a little better option for hooking up external players (like ipod, mp3 and so forth) as well as being able to play those devices in stereo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item!!!!, April 28, 2013
I am a DJ and used these in a dance lounge. the speakers were on half volume and the mixboard on half volume and the place was packed. The sound was great. No need for a subwoofer,These gems packed a punch. Overall great item for a great price!!!!

ARRAY(0x9ccf89c0)