4.0 out of 5 stars May Have Some Issues If You Are New To Garageband
Published on June 5, 2011 by sbmike

3.0 out of 5 stars The hardware is fine, the software is not.
Published on November 26, 2009 by Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars May Have Some Issues If You Are New To Garageband, June 5, 2011
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
I Just received this yesterday and immediately tried to hook up my guitar to Garageband through my Mac (OS 10.6.7, GB11 V6.02). I spent a frustrating hour and a half trying to play my guitar through my computer and speakers and finally gave up. Part of the problem is that I am just getting to know the Garageband program. The lack of manufacturer documentation for using the UCG102 for use with Garageband is also surprising given it appears that Behring appears to be a major supplier to the music industry. Of course this amateur part of the biz is probably new to them. That said, after some fiddling I got it to work. I figured I would write the instructions that don't appear to exist. This is just if you are using a Mac and the latest version of Garageband, not sure if this will be helpful if you have another setup.

1) Start Garageband with the UCG102 unplugged.

2) Select new project and click on the electric guitar icon. A dialog box will pop up that will allow you to name and create a new project. When you click create you will see a image that has a guitar under the heading "Tracks" on the left side of the garage band window. On the right side there should be an image of a Guitar amp. Using the menu selection above the picture of the amp you can select different amps. Pick an amp.

3) Plug the UCG102 into your computer USB port. A few seconds later a dialog box will pop up that says "Garageband is scanning your system for audio devices, and has detected a device named "USB Audio Codec"." Select "Yes" you want to use the device.

4) Now this step is the one I originally missed. Go to Garageband Preferences and select "Audio/Midi". For "Audio Output" select whatever speakers you computer uses to provide audio (not doing this is where I originally messed up). Even if you were previously playing audio using Garageband you have to do this step. For Audio input select "USB Audio Codec" and close the preferences window.

5) Once you select the amp you want on the right hand side of the screen, double click on the amp image. You should see an image showing the back of the amp. Below it you will now see two pull down menus. The input source should will either be "Mono 1 (Audio CODEC)" or "Mono 2 (Audio CODEC)". Now go to the second menu called Monitor and select "ON". Also make sure you computer sound volume is on.

6) You should be good to go.

Hope this helps. Time to make music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with a Mac, January 25, 2011
Simple, easy

Plugged it into a Mac, plugged the guitar into it, plugged in headphones, worked fine with Garageband. Sound is clear and no latency on my setup. Can't comment on the windows side since I don't have a windows pc to test against.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, October 7, 2008
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
I have not had the problems other posters have had. The ASIO driver that comes with the ucg102 works well with the guitar combo filters. (yes the website does exist to get one of the guitar combos to unlock forever). If you have problems with the device first read this section of the readme file of the driver:
3. IMPORTANT NOTES:
-------------------
-> Driver will be installed ONLY on USB port where your hardware is connected while installation!

-> After installation ALL other audio drivers are blocked on this USB port!

-> For using different drivers: Connect your USB audio hardware to a different USB port.

-> Alternative drivers which work fine with the named hardware products:
Win XP only: ASIO2KS (from the BEHRINGER U-CONTROL Download page)
Win XP + Vista: ASIO4ALL (see providers homepage)

This being said I am able to get this device to work with Audacity(one of the programs that comes with the device) just by plugging into another USB port. Also I have used the ASIO4ALL driver which eliminates the need to unplug the devices when switch between Audacity and the guitar combo application.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great on Windows x64 with Proper Setup, February 5, 2012
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
Initially, I wasn't sure which PC-Guitar interface to get and I avoided these things for a few years until the companies started producing 64 bit drivers to allow users to run their products on Windows x64. For this device, I am running it through Guitar Rig 5 and Mixcraft with impressive results. I have absolutely NO crackling, noise or latency issues. I have an above average desktop computer with a motherboard sound card and Windows 7 x64.

If you install Behringer's 64 bit drivers and ASIO4All, configure everything properly, you shouldn't have any problems. For those who've had to run an audio chord from the unit's headphone jack directly to their speakers; this step is not required to get results. If you use ASIO4All and Behringer's USB driver together, you can select your audio output to go directly through your sound card after the signal's been processed through your recording software. This is why I purchased the device in the first place. Because I wanted to work with a digital signal within my recording and Guitar Rig software. The Behringer UCG102 allows you to do just that.

Here are some steps to get you going in the right direction. By the way, I went through some frustrating trial and error getting this device to work the way I wanted in Windows 7 x64. It would be nice if Behringer would update their manual and website to provide better setup instruction. This, in my opinion, is the only negative against the product.

Basic Windows 7 setup...
1. Download Behringer's Windows x64 driver from their web page... [...]

2. Run the Behringer driver setup and when it asks you to reboot; Go ahead and do that.

3. Download and install the ASIO4All drivers from their web page... [...]

4. If the Behringer UCG102 isn't plugged into to the USB port, do that now. If it's already plugged in, remove it and plug it back in again. This step ensures that the driver is properly loaded and the device is up and running in Windows.

5. Go to Windows 7 Control Panel or do a menu search for 'Sound' to configure your Windows Playback and Recording settings.

6. The Behringer still needs to be plugged in to configure these settings. In your Windows 'Sound' settings, make sure your 'Playback' device is set to your default speakers. If using headphones, set them as the "Default" Playback device.

7. Under the 'Recording' tab, select 'Line In' and if the Behringer USB driver is loaded and running properly, you should see an option to select "Behringer USB WDM Audio 2.8.40' as the Line-in device. The '2.8.40' is the driver version you downloaded from their web page and that number may change as drivers are updated.

8. Now you can start up your Guitar Rig or effects processor software. In Guitar Rig, you have to go into 'Audio and Midi Settings' and ensure that you are using 'Asio' as your driver and "Asio4All V2' as your device. Under the 'Routing' tab you have to make sure your 'Outputs' are set to either speakers or headphones. Under 'Inputs', make sure you have 'Behringer USB Audio 1' under just the 'L' or left channel only. The settings under the 'MIDI' tab don't affect this type of setup so there's nothing you need to do there.

*** Step 8 is where you will normally run into problems and to fix this, you have to configure your ASIO4All settings. In the far right corner of your Windows taskbar, you should see a green icon, which if clicked will bring up your ASIO4All configuration window. You can also select 'ASIO Config' in Guitar Rig within the 'Audio and Midi Settings' and get into the same window. To get everything working, you have to click on the wrench to open the ASIO configuration.

This is where you'll have to do some trial and error by clicking on the input and output device icons. What you're looking for is a green On/Off button with green arrows next to them for your input and output devices. For example, under my settings, I have the following ASIO devices showing green buttons and arrows...
Top selection = Output: 'High Definition Audio Device"
Bottom Selection = Input: 'Behringer USB WDM Audio 2.8.40' = (In: 2x 44.1-48kHz, 32 bits; Out: 2x 44.1-48kHz, 32 bits)

A blacked out On/Off button icon with no green arrow, or a red 'X' next to these settings means something's wrong or you haven't clicked on the On/Off button icon so that device is actually turned on.
Click on the wrench to exit out of the ASIO configuration.

If you're not getting all the selection options in the ASIO or audio/midi configuration settings, try the following...
1. Close Guitar Rig and other recording software
2. Unplug the Behringer UCG102 and plug it back in again
3. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 and also check your Windows 'Sound' Playback and Recording settings to make sure they haven't changed

If your using recording software like Mixcraft, you also have to use the ASIO device drivers within that software in order to record your guitar. By the way, I am able to run Guitar Rig's VST and real-time record with all Guitar Rig's effects within Mixcraft and achieve impressive results. Latency is not an issue because I'm using the ASIO drivers in combination with Behringer's USB driver. If you're having troubles, don't give up and keep at it. You'll be happy with the results and there's nothing like being able to record in real-time while using awesome guitar effects. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars The hardware is fine, the software is not., November 26, 2009
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
This thing works, but the devil is in the software (I am writing from a PC). While a number of different programs are included with this product none of them make it simple to record. The amp modeling software is compatible and recognizes the hardware, but isn't suitable for recording. Audacity isn't compatible out of the box and neither is the EnergyXT2. This drove me absolutely crazy. For a couple of weeks the only thing I could do was practice through headphones (which works very well). Plain and simple - I bought this to record.

I am sure there are costly software solutions out there that can recognize the USB/ASIO drivers and record via this interface but I didn't want to pay for something I thought I should get out of the box. Fortunately, after much turmoil I discovered that for the computer savvy individual there is a way. Audacity can be built to include native ASIO support! However this requires compiling your own custom (and non-distributable) build. The excellent step by step directions to do so are here: [...]

Once I got Audacity to recognize the USB/ASIO drivers I was much happier with the purchase. I still give the product 3-stars because I assume the average consumer won't want to go through the pain of custom building software to get a recording ability. To me, a out of the box recording is a basic requirement of a "Guitar-to-USB Interface".

4.0 out of 5 stars It works and it's cheap, July 14, 2009
C. Phillips (Orangevale, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
I used this product on a Dell 9" netbook (1.6Ghz Atom, 2GB SDRAM) with Windows 7 RC, a custom PC (2.4Ghz QuadCore, 4GB SDRAM) with Windows 7 RC and a Mac Mini (2.0Ghz Core2Duo, 2GB SDRAM) with OSX.

On Windows 7 I did have problems installing the driver from the setup but expected this with any new OS. After it tried to install I just updated the driver and pointed to the Behringer one. I also installed ASIO4ALL since it has a little bit more configuration anyway and can help alleviate latency issues. On OSX I just plugged it in.

With the Windows 7 RC netbook and desktop I used a demo of Guitar Rig 3 to test out the real-time effects processing. It took a little tweaking of the settings for the ASIO settings to get the latency down below 10ms and also to get the output to go to my speakers rather than the headphone jack on the UCG102. On the Dell netbook Guitar Rig was unusable. I have read other posts that have some suggestions to get it to work but I could not. This is a processing power limitation and has nothing to do with the UCG102. On my QuadCore PC this was not an issue.

With OSX I used a demo of Guitar Rig and Garageband to test out the real-time effects processing. I had some issues with latency in Garageband since it doesn't let you do the sample rate adjusting that Guitar Rig 3 does but still was within acceptable range. It also took me a little while to get the sound to output to my speakers rather than the headphone jack on the UCG102 (HINT: create an aggregate device in the Audio MIDI utility).

All-in-all the device does exactly what I want it to do. It doesn't work nearly as well in OSX as in Windows 7 but it is still within the real-time playblack realm. I am sure if I wanted to inspect it any further that there are some hacks/tweaks in OSX I could apply to improve the latency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
This little gadget here is a dream come true. All it does is amplify the signal that comes from your guitar and transform it from analog to digital, then you can choose the output method, through your pc speakers, the headphone (or monitor) jack in the Guitar Link, or the computer headphone jack. The plastic doesn't look "chinese", if you know what I mean. It feels resistant and strong enough to take on a few drops.

You HAVE to have it plugged in during the installation or else it won't work. Also, it only installs on one USB port at a time, so I recommend you choose one port just for it (not that the port is goning to stop working or anything).

The installation instructions are really like this:
-Insert the CD with the guitar combos. Install all 3 if you want, although you are good to go with the AC Box Combo alone (other 2 are 30 min trials)
-Plug the Guitar Link and start the driver setup, it is in a folder called "drivers", but I don't remember which of the two CDs has it.
-Restart your computer and start the AC Box Combo.
-You are all set to start playing.
-If you want all the other software you might as well continue installing it.

The software included is mostly trash. It comes with 3 Combos, one full version, the other 2 are 30 minute trials. You can use this if you are an amateur and you will be more than happy. The Audacity has a learning curve as steep as a skycraper, and the "lite" version of Energy (called EnergyX2 or something like that) is a liiiittle limited.If you plan to make a studio of your office or room I recommend you buy something more "professional", I personally use Fruity Loops and Waves GTR, but a friend has a couple IK that work awesome and most come with a pedal.

The 64bit asio4all driver is included but is named like setup36.exe, who knows why not 64 or 86, so don't worry, it supports vista/7, 32/64 bit. I haven't tried it on MacOSX or XP.

Bottomline: Definitely is a good investment, weather you are a pro or a beginner. Good quality and good design. Works with everything I have plugged in the jack. (The price in Amazon is about 6 bucks less than every other place I looked).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, Solid Construction, Great Sound, September 11, 2010
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
I am a recording engineer and have been in the audio field since 1979. This product is a great find from a hardware point of view. For this price you get a low latency, stereo, duplex, ASIO, USB audio interface. I only installed the ASIO drivers first and tested the device with Ableton, Vegas and ACID. It works flawlessly. The 1/4" jacks are both stereo. The driver is solid and flexible.

The included mulitrack software, energyXT2 is competent especially for the price and the platform coverage(PC, MAC, Linux). It's not as user friendly as Garageband by any stretch but then... it's free. (It's one of the best Linux programs I've ever seen. Most of them are lame, convoluted, garbage).

I did not load NI's Guitar Combo because I have Guitar Rig 2. The UCG102 works perfectly with GR2 at very low latency on an old Celeron Laptop. For those not familiar with Guitar Rig; this software is fantastic! Like anything, if you have no talent and no clue as to how to tweak an amp, well, at least you've got presets to get you going but some ability is a big help. If you do, you have a million options! (I like the AC30 head myself).

Bottom line: For the newbie this might be frustrating. For intermediate to advanced skill levels it's a great value. Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug n' Play with Ubuntu 10.04, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
Using this with Ubuntu 10.04 to run rakarrack and guitarix. No (additional) drivers required in Ubuntu 10.04 - truly plug n' play. I did not install any of the packaged software as I am happy with the open source stuff available, so I can not comment on the quality of the packaged software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with NI Guitar Rig for Windows, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface (Electronics)
I needed an inexpensive, portable and reliable audio interface to use with NI Guitar Rig for practice away from my studio. I have found Behringer's line of audio equipment to be well made and of decent (but not top of the line) sound quality. I decided to give the UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface a try. Over three months, I have tested it with Guitar Rig 4 & 5 on Windows XP, Vista 32-Bit, Vista 64-Bit, and Win7 64-Bit and it works flawlessly with all of them. I usually run the interface with the default settings (Application priority at "Normal" and System performance at "Normal") with 16-Bit resolution at 48kHz witch yields very tolerable latency for practice and getting ideas down. On my faster computers I've increased the performance to get the latency even lower. Now for my recommendations: Download the latest version of the driver software from Behringer's webpage and install it before you insert the interface into a USB port; the software will tell you when to plug in the interface. Make sure you choose the USB port you want to use for the device ahead of time as you must use the same USB port each time you use the interface. Others have commented on the lousy software but I have not used it so I don't know since I have no need for the stripped down Guitar Rig 4 LE. Also, the interface will only send output audio through the headphone port on the device itself. Do not expect the sound to come out of your computer's speakers. I have had mine inserted into the AUX input of my practice amp with good results and into a PA with even better results. I am completely satisfied with this interface and would recommend it.

Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface