5.0 out of 5 stars A different story

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
Published 22 months ago by Domino

5.0 out of 5 stars A different story, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
If you are sick and tired of the overly traditional gender roles in stories and really want to read a tale of two lives coming together, then I would start here. A tale of a boy growing up and his friendship with a girl from down the street. I usually go for fantasy fiction with magic and vamps, so I was a bit surprised that I couldn't put this one. I read straight through in a single night (until the early morning hours) and am glad that I branched out. The author writes with voice that makes growing up differently an interesting and engaging tale (when it could have easily gotten depressing). The positivism and joy of the main character make the tough times in life an experience vs a trial and I am touched to have been a part of his life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Thoughtful Story -- I Cared About These Characters, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
This was a great read. Emelle is a super-interesting character, the kind of person that I like to know in life. This is not your typical work of fiction because it's full of REAL. A kid with a somewhat dysfunctional family and an odd personality who usually finds what he needs just when life is getting to be too much. As I moved through the plot I found myself caring a lot about the two main characters and how they made out.

I've thought about this Emelle guy many times since finishing the book. It's a thoughtful story that's on my short list of comfort books that I'll go back to in the future...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Charming!, November 9, 2011
.thn (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
I am generally very selective about what I read - sticking to mostly Best Sellers and contemporary romance novels - because that's what I enjoy. I don't always have the luxury of time on my side to allow for leisurely reading so I like to stick to what I know. However, in this case, I was given a copy of Being Emelle as a gift. This coming-of-age story follows the life of a unique and gifted individual named, Emelle. Born into unusual circumstances, Emelle also faces the challenges of living in a small town. The relationships that he shares with the other characters in the story are also quite complex which lends to the plot's charm.

I admit that this may not have been a book that I would have chosen for myself, but I found that I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are looking for a warm and uplifting read, this book comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Coming of Age Story, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
This book was a real delight to read. The characters were well-drawn and deliciously different from the usual literary stereotypes. This book has no heavy drama or conflict, but instead it shows a learning on Emelle's part to accept his father's love, his place in life and his own quirky personality. The long-term friendship between Emelle and Annalynn is particulary sweet - they remain together as each one grows and changes and learn how to accept each other and build a fine relationship. Frankly I think this book is a little gem that seems to be sadly overlooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book!, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story. It was simple, but very interesting. I read the book in only one day. I fell in love with all of the main characters in this book, and had to know their story!

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't set this one down!, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
This really is a excellently written coming of age book. It highlights differences and is so relatable for almost anyone you won't be able to set it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, October 12, 2012
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
I kind of liked this strange book. It explores family dysfunction - I am always a fan of that! Emelle himself reminds me of someone with mild Asbergers - he has to wear exactly the same type of shirt every day, etc. I like that he is happy with himself at an age when most teens are struggling to fit in, I liked his relationship with his best friend, and his struggle to have a relationship with his father.
This is definately not a typical style of book, but the characters are mostly likeable and definately not boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sketchy Plot, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Being Emelle (Kindle Edition)
This book wasn't bad. My complaint is just that it seemed... incomplete. Interesting bits of information were revealed here and there but never expanded upon. For example, a couple different times the author hints that Emelle's father may have been dealing with his own sexual identity issues. It was never clear to me what the issue between Emelle's parents was... something unspoken seemed to keep tearing them apart. A few references to a dead male friend of his mother's (Michael?)... it seemed like he was supposed to be important to the story but I never really understood why. I kept thinking eventually all these little questions were going to be answered, but they never were.

I was just never sure what, if any, point the author was trying to make.

Being Emelle
Being Emelle by E. Stoops (Paperback - March 31, 2012)
$12.99 $11.69