4.0 out of 5 stars God book on contemplative prayer

As they are from same old outdated
perspective
Published 7 months ago by Susan Liddy

4.0 out of 5 stars God book on contemplative prayer, May 6, 2000
This review is from: Being in Love: A Practical Guide to Christian Prayer (Paperback)
This is an excellent resource for those who have an interest in learning more about contemplative prayer. A caveat - some other books would be a better introduction to the subject. Richard Foster has a good chapter on "Centering Prayer" in "Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home" and Thomas Keating's "Open Mind, Open Heart" is a better staring place for a novice. Having said that, however, Johnston's focus on love is what is most interesting about this book. He states that "Christian contemplation is a path of love" and I couldn't agree more. If you have begun to study and practice contemplative or centering prayer, then you will definitely want to read this book. I would give it 5 stars except it is not for all readers. One of my favorite quotes from this book is a simple declaration that I try to live every day: "Devote time to study each day". Make each day a day of learning and you will make life worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, August 17, 2014
Make everything you do as a prayer offering!

5.0 out of 5 stars Being in Love, December 21, 2012
I love this book. It has helped me in my spiritual life. I used it this year for my annual retreat and felt very blessed by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a recipe for a prayer life, October 29, 2010
As the title indicates, this is a practical guide to Christian Prayer indeed! Its simplicity makes it attractive to the beginner. One feels one can manage what is being suggested. The content covers particularly well the meditative/contemplative prayer life, how to start, how to persevere, the pitfalls. It shows how one's prayer-life becomes an act of being-in-love and so becomes a transforming power in one's day-to-day living. Johstone explains the difference between essential and existential prayer and urges the person, while maintaining the former to try and move into the latter on a daily basis.

This is an invaluable little book for the beginner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Being in Love: The Practice of Christian Prayer, October 6, 2009
I've only begun to read it and I see it's potential of having great impact in my spiritual walk, translating to my experiential walk in this life as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, January 17, 2014
I will not read other books recommended
As they are from same old outdated
perspective

Being in Love: A Practical Guide to Christian Prayer
Being in Love: A Practical Guide to Christian Prayer by William Johnston (Paperback - June 1, 1999)
$30.00 $19.35