Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Belarus - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 12, 2008
Having lived in Minsk myself for a while, I wish this guide had been available then, not only to enthuse me beforehand but to steer me in my interactions with Belarusans once I had arrived. I shall be looking for others in the series.
on May 31, 2010
Decent, worthwhile read about various aspects of Belarus society, and not a travel guide per se. When the book gets into things to do and see in Belarus though it generally doesn't offer much beyond what's in Minsk. I was just in Gomel for 10 days, not long enough and I didn't cover enough ground of the country to sense how accurate the authors views are, but generally I didn't find anything wrong here. Overall it was a helpful book.
on June 7, 2013
I buy these for every country I visit when they are available. If you are buy yourself and not with a group, it can keep you from making a faux paux and being embarrassed. Great guides with info you don't get anywhere else
on March 22, 2013
I find the Culture Smart series refreshingly candid and Anne Coombes' edition is no exception. Her comments and anecdotes are insightful, thought provoking and, occasionally, amusing. The series is quite different from Lonely Planet, Rough Guides etc in that it has no pretension to offering a 'what to see and do' list (which quickly goes out of date anyway). Its guidance on national character is what makes the series unique, helping visitors to understand the local pysche. I don't know of any other series offering the same insight. I can only recommend these editions in the highest terms and the Belarus edition is essential reading in my book.
on November 19, 2011
I purchased this book before visiting Belarus. I found the history, legends, and superstitions to be spot on, however much of the cultural information suggests the author never visited Minsk. The city has a very different personality than the general descriptions in the book. I suggest you look elsewhere for insight.
on July 5, 2013
I'm preparing to apply for travel to Belarus for 9 months. Because most post-Soviet literature focuses on Russia, I really appreciate that this little guide really highlights some of the major differences between Russia & Belarus, while still admitting that they are closely related. Excited to delve into the "further reading" list.