5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Having lived in Minsk myself for a while, I wish this guide had been available then, not only to enthuse me beforehand but to steer me in my interactions with Belarusans once I had arrived. I shall be looking for others in the series.
Published on November 12, 2008 by Sandra

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems quite out of date
I purchased this book before visiting Belarus. I found the history, legends, and superstitions to be spot on, however much of the cultural information suggests the author never visited Minsk. The city has a very different personality than the general descriptions in the book. I suggest you look elsewhere for insight.
Published on November 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, November 12, 2008
This review is from: Belarus - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Helpful but mostly covers Minsk and little of the rest of country, May 31, 2010
J. Reeves "smithwickmachine2" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
Decent, worthwhile read about various aspects of Belarus society, and not a travel guide per se. When the book gets into things to do and see in Belarus though it generally doesn't offer much beyond what's in Minsk. I was just in Gomel for 10 days, not long enough and I didn't cover enough ground of the country to sense how accurate the authors views are, but generally I didn't find anything wrong here. Overall it was a helpful book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems quite out of date, November 19, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Peek into Belarusian Culture, July 5, 2013
C. C. Bozman (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I'm preparing to apply for travel to Belarus for 9 months. Because most post-Soviet literature focuses on Russia, I really appreciate that this little guide really highlights some of the major differences between Russia & Belarus, while still admitting that they are closely related. Excited to delve into the "further reading" list.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Culture Smart series, June 7, 2013
I buy these for every country I visit when they are available. If you are buy yourself and not with a group, it can keep you from making a faux paux and being embarrassed. Great guides with info you don't get anywhere else

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Refreshingly Candid, March 22, 2013
I find the Culture Smart series refreshingly candid and Anne Coombes' edition is no exception. Her comments and anecdotes are insightful, thought provoking and, occasionally, amusing. The series is quite different from Lonely Planet, Rough Guides etc in that it has no pretension to offering a 'what to see and do' list (which quickly goes out of date anyway). Its guidance on national character is what makes the series unique, helping visitors to understand the local pysche. I don't know of any other series offering the same insight. I can only recommend these editions in the highest terms and the Belarus edition is essential reading in my book.

Belarus - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture
Belarus - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture by Anne Coombes (Paperback - October 7, 2008)
$9.95 $8.96