4.0 out of 5 stars Lush & Longing
Published on September 13, 2011 by The Original Cowgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars i'm a HUGE fan but this album left me wanting
its ok. but competing against his first two albums is tough. my biggest complaint after several listens is that beside "the twist" i can't tell the songs apart very well.
Published on November 3, 2011 by dolby taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Lush & Longing, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Believers (MP3 Music)
Haunting, dark, gorgeous and somewhat less twangy than his last two records. A progression from previous efforts, but in a good way. I'm a massive fan of Bondy's last two albums, and I'm really digging this one, too. Fans of WHEN THE DEVIL'S LOOSE and AMERICAN HEARTS won't be disappointed. Can't wait to see him perform these songs live. Get this record today; AA Bondy is good for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WOW WOW!!!, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Believers (MP3 Music)
I've never written an amazon review about anything before, but I can't help myself from spreading the word about A.A. Bondy! I was lucky enough, recently, to experience the majesty of A.A. Bondy in concert and man oh man, I can't believe it took me this long to get on the Bondy train! His lyrics are so beautiful, so poetic, and so cryptic. His songs are the type of catharsis that are manifested once in a blue moon by musicians as a single stand-out song among the dozens and dozens of fillers. They are the kind of songs any other artist would have trouble getting through performing. But what was so intriguing and so sad to me was just how much reservation he was exercising to keep a placid, stoic veneer. He has such a beautiful and unique voice, so soothing and velvety. Yet, it was as if he felt undeserving of his gift so all he could do was be this neutral vessel to allow his deeply somber songs to pour out of. I'm probably reading way too much into it lol, but if I want to romanticize an artist's work to appreciate it more so be it. But I dunno, I can't explain it. It was just so sad- like he wouldn't allow himself to connect because deep down, he's one thread away from breaking. At times, a hint of surrender was audible in his voice which was so satisfying to hear and witness. I'm a sucker for ballads and lyrical depth, so I'm always seeking out the latest soul-stirring stuff but I don't think I've ever come across such tragically beautiful lyrics from a single artist in my life!

I immediately got his latest album as well as the one prior (When the Devil's Loose) and I can't shake the
overwhelming urge to share his stuff because it's soooooooo damn good!!!!! Believers is sheer perfection from start to finish. There isn't a single track I'd skip. It's a rare quality these days to come across such loaded, powerful, and complete albums. There's a beautiful sadness in his music and it's done in a simple way, yet so richly complex in depth. It's definitely the kind of music you can just put in the background, drift away, and when you come back you won't know what just happened but you'll feel a sort of dull ache in your heart, a feeling you can't put your finger on. And then it spills out into the rest of you in the form of inexplicable and haunting empathy. And it only gets better with every listen, as I'm constantly discovering something I missed before! He's clearly quite the tortured soul to an almost heart-breaking degree. I don't know why his music resonates so much with me, but I can't speak highly enough about the caliber of his songs. For the love of true art, GET THIS ALBUM and both of his previous works!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Believers (MP3 Music)
I love this album! The first two AA albums were also great, but I think this is the best one yet.
So much character and flow, I love the distinct guitar endings to all the songs.
Favorite songs: Surfer King, The Twist, and Down in the Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke..., September 14, 2011
WOW!

I've been waiting for this third solo album from Mr. Bondy for a while now & I've been streaming it on NPR for the last week.

The songwriting is impeccable, second to no one. The dark, haunting lyrics, vocals and melodies are a great highway companion late at night when you're surrounded by yourself and you've nothing but time on your hands to contemplate life.

Buy this entire album and his other two as well. You won't regret it.

Skull & Bones, Hiway/Fevers - Great!

Already awaiting your forth, Scott.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cover Photo Sets the Tone..., December 9, 2011
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
I heard the title cut, "Rte 28/Believers," on XM while driving one night and wrote down A.A. Bondy's name as soon as I parked. I'd never heard of him before. This CD is much more than just that one song that got airplay. It's a complete collection, each cut reflecting and resonating with each other like a finely paced book of poems. The songs are mostly slow-ish and dream-like, but the music has subtle power and creates a charged atmosphere. This is perfect music for driving dark highways or sipping Scotch late at night.

4.0 out of 5 stars darkly haunting, compelling Americana songs, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
3rd album from Alabama artist & former member of Verbena--darkly haunting, compelling
Americana songs with a strong sense of yearning & and an underlying need for self redemption.
It's as though there's an unavoidable, spectral gloom-fog over the next ridge--reaching out to
grab you, whispering your name. Beautiful songs with a gentle, subtle draw & a pair of strong,
forlorn shadow-arms to hold you. Nice. Recalls Ryan Adams, Mike Ness, the National, the
Mekons, Ray LaMontagne, John Prine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, December 18, 2012
James Zerndt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
I can't say enough about A.A. Bondy or this album (or any of his other albums). I just got into him a few months ago and can't stop listening. I play Believers when I'm writing. Over and over again. And I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Poetry. They lyrics are chock-full of it whether you realize it or not. Gorgeous stuff. Murder boys. Saints there on a chain. These idiot hearts. We're out here listening, A.A. And what you are doing is making our lives better. I hope you know that.

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Believers (MP3 Music)
I first heard A.A. Bondy's Slow Parade and immediately fell in love. This work's a slight shift in his usual musical style but you would be hardpressed to be disappointed with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds kinda timeless, December 21, 2011
M. Morris (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Believers (MP3 Music)
I was a huge Verbena fan, but I'm embarrassed to admit I totally slept on his solo stuff - until now. Like other reviewers here are saying, this album is stellar. Yeah, haunting and all that, but there's more to it. It kinda sounds timeless. This album could have been recorded at any time in the last 50 years. (I swear I hear some early 70's Pink Floyd in that long track towards the end). He's using sounds and instruments that color the music so richly, so deeply, that the songs sound a lot more substantial than they really are. Underneath that molten accompaniment are these simple, tattered melodies that spill out. Now, starting to dig into his others.

3.0 out of 5 stars i'm a HUGE fan but this album left me wanting, November 3, 2011

Believers
Believers by A.A. Bondy (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies