5.0 out of 5 stars Belize by Carlos Ledson Miller
Published on March 7, 2000 by Kathy Adams

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read
The story line has been done before in different contexts, but I enjoyed the cruise through the generational waters .. For me the real benefit is to absorb some of Belize's 20th century history painlessly. Ditto for the cultural information
Published on April 1, 2008 by Potenially Punta

5.0 out of 5 stars Belize by Carlos Ledson Miller, March 7, 2000
Kathy Adams (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
Once I started to read this wonderful novel, I did not want to be interrupted. It's one of those that cause you to stay up late at night saying "one more chapter". It brought me to tears at several points. Belize is an endearing story about a man, his family, and the ultimate victory of men and women over their environment and circumstances. It sends the message that it's always a good idea to have faith and endure, because there's alway something left to strive for, no matter how bad it gets. The characters in this novel face incredible hardships. Yet they keep on keepin' on! I loved it! This novel also provides an excellent background on the history of Belize, once known as "British Honduras." It decribes the rich culture and ethnicity of the Belizeans. They're poor on "American standards", but they don't know they're "poor", and I wouldn't consider them poor either. For they are rich in spirit and they love to dance! The flavor and flare of the characters and their way of life is so warm and delightful. The reader can easily view the locales and characters in the "mind's eye". I highly recommend this novel. It even includes sports for all you basketball lovers. And as I've mentioned, it made me cry. "Make we go Mon!"

5.0 out of 5 stars I miss my country, August 30, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
I'm a Belizean living in the U.S. for almost 25 years. As soon as I started reading the first page I was transported back in time. I followed Ramon down every street in Belize City - his description of places, things and Belizean life are accurate. Already I know that I will re-read BELIZE, just in case I missed something in my eagerness. I've told my friends and family about this book. Thank you, Carlos Ledson Miller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, June 1, 2000
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is a sweeping saga set in Belize, a country I knew little about. It is rich in the Belize culture and in the history and issues of the British colonalism. The author paints beautiful scenes of this country and spins a tale of intrigue, romance, and cultural conflicts. This book is on a par with many I have read from the bestsellers lists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, April 3, 2003
Gabb (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
I was born and raised in Belize City and after living in the USA for almost twenty years I thoroughly enjoyed a trip down memory lane while turning the pages of Belize, a novel. This work gives a good description of Belizean culture, politics (colonial times and after independence), history, geography and commerce of our unique Caribbean / Central American country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, April 2, 2003
en (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
I was happy to get my hands on a copy of Carlos Miller's book "Belize".
I read it from cover to cover in one sitting!! The story is authentic, the characters realistic, and I really felt that I was living back in that time. His descriptions of the people, the city, the politics, were vivid and colorfull - It even brought back the smell of the old, open sewers to memory! Scenes of the old market, the creole language, the German SS-turned-bush pilot, the names of the boats - These all dig up old memories of my childhood.
I recommended this book to a close friend who is a lecturer at the University of Belize, and she loved it!
Recently, I had the pleasure of reading Carlos's other book as well - Panama! It is equally as good!
2 thumbs up!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Miller captures the essence of Belize, June 26, 2000
Dana Lain (Galveston Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
Belize has been a part of my life since 1981, since Chaa Creek was a hut, since Rosita Arvigo was chopping bush with Panti, since Pine Ridge was a live firing range. I am so glad that Carlos Miller wrote this book. I relived so many times and places while reading it. He is very accurate about it's history, which is quite an accomplishment given the chameleon nature of the place. The Belizian people are larger than life. Everyday is a surprise. Everyday is lived fully. I invite you to live in this book for awhile, you will love his characters. Please write a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Belize Captures the Reader, April 2, 2003
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
My wife and I are both Belizeans living in the States. She read "Belize" first and she kept me up late nights all the while exuberantly involving me by reading to me passages that excited her. I thought she was over-reacting till I picked it up. Then I was doing the same thing and I was pulling on everyone's ear to share my excitement.
Carlos Miller captures the reader from the very first page and lets the reader live along with his characters. The Belizean backdrop and events is only a bonus for Belizean readers. The story grabs at your emotions - I laughed out loud many times; I became angry; I got sad; and, I was on edge a few times too. Miller does a fantastic job creating a feel for the multi-cultural climate and interaction in Belizean society. And the resolve is postive.
I believe "Belize" is a must read for all Belizeans and just about anybody that enjoys a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars one great book, April 2, 2003
Ardean T. Warburton (Geneva, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belize (Paperback)
I have travelled to Belize a dozen times and am building a small factory there, so anything that relates to Belize is of interest to me.
Carlos has put together a scenario that is very easy for me to imagine as true. I have met many people in Belize that could have easily come from the pages of this book.
I read it front to back without stopping. It was too hard to put down.
While fictious, it certainly reflects the reality of Belize, the country!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mix of fact and fiction, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Belize (Kindle Edition)
I read this book while in Belize. I enjoyed the storyline and especially enjoyed the history of Belize that was mixed in. The book might be appreciated by anyone, but I think it is particularly enjoyable for those who have any interest in Belize.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and evolving story, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Belize (Kindle Edition)
The story covered a lot of ground efficiently - just enough at each setting and then onto the next. I couldn't predict where it would lead next which made it hard to put down. It's told from perspective of people living in Belize.

Belize
Belize by Carlos Ledson Miller (Paperback - January 1, 2000)
$24.99 $22.49