Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Size: 2.5 FeetStyle: 6-OutletChange

on September 14, 2010
The most interesting feature of this product is the flat plug. It is very thin and allows us to use contacts that would otherwise be obscured by furniture. Other than that, it is a power strip and it serves its purpose.
We purchased the 8ft cord version to use behind a couch and we were very satisfied, so we decided to order another one to use behind a bookcase. The cord didn't need to be that long, so we ordered the 2.5ft cord version... oh surprise!.. this one does not have the flat plug (which was the whole point of the purchase). It has a regular plug just like the powerstrip we wanted to replace. Of course, we are returning it but I wanted to warn other people ...The website description is somewhat misleading and the fact that the picture for the 2.5ft does not show the plug, does not help.
Beware.. the 8ft version has a flat plug, the 2.5ft version does not.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon September 25, 2009
I work in the IT industry, so every time people move offices they come to me for a power strip. I buy these power strips regularly because:

1. They have seemed to protect adequately for surges
2. They are very compact
3. They are cheap!!!!
4. The big one-- the power switch is on the side where the power cable exits the strip. This has a big advantage.

You'd be amazed how many times people, cleaning crews or others accidentally flip the power switch on a power strip that may be under the edge of a desk or in an area that can get bumped but isn't easily seen. That also causes problems because people don't understand why their stuff isn't working. Having the switch on the side dramatically reduces the frequency with which I get calls because "stuff stopped working"... No one ever expects the simple answer and always assume a device has gone bad, etc.

The color fits in with your average office creme color, and unless you are going to get a power squid or UPS I wouldn't spend more on a power strip than the cost of this.
review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I needed to get a basic five or six outlet power strip and instead ended up with this Belkin 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector. Since the power strip that I was going to get was for basic protection, and would be plugged into a surge suppressor anyway, I really wasn't concerned about how much protection it offered. Just having the extra outlets for additional small-to-medium electrical devices was important.

While looking and comparing this with basic power strips, I decided to check the manufacturer's site to see what specs they offered, since the ones here seemed to be a bit inadequate. Here's what I found:

* 555 Joule energy rating provides maximum protection of all your sensitive electronic devices
* 6 Surge-protected outlets supply 2-line AC protection
* 2.5-foot power cord delivers optimal, safe AC power through a 14-gauge heavy-duty cord
* Filters EMI/RFI noise up to 43 dB reduction
* Maximum Spike Amperage of 36,000 Amps
* Lifetime Product Warranty
* $15,000 Connected Equipment Warranty

The pros on this unit include the price, the basic surge protection, a short but sturdy power cord, and good basic construction. It has a power/reset switch that's recessed at the top of the unit near the power cord to prevent accidental shutting down. On the negative side, like so many of these units, the outlets are too close together to put more than a couple transformer-type devices like cell phone chargers and such.

Just a couple of comments on the specifications listed above to those who may be interested: if you're going to plug high-end expensive electronics into one of these, don't do it. This is an adequate but very basic unit, and you want to consider getting a better grade surge suppressor for large screen televisions, good computer systems and such. No surge protector is 100% effective, but sure that the product is listed as a transient voltage surge suppressor, and that it meets the criteria for UL 1449, the absolute minimum performance standard for surge suppressors. I'm no electrical engineer or electronics technician, but if you're going to protect an expensive jogging machine, your new 52-inch television or Apple iMac 27-inch desktop system, you need better than an under $10 surge suppressor or power strip.

A friend who I will refer to as the 'cranky electronic tech' told me to look it up on the 'Net, but make sure that whatever I got for protection of "really good stuff" needed to be minimally have a UL1449 3rd Edition certification and be rated at 1400 joules of surge protection or higher, and the rest would fall into place. The Tripp Lite ISOBAR4ULTRA Isobar Ultra 4-Outlet Surge Protector that I've used for years with my large electronics is rated at 3330 Joules, and meets those specs.

If you plan to use a basic surge suppressor to charge cell phones and the like with their transformer plugs, units with right-angle outlets are a better, though more costly choice. My personal choice for mid-range protection combined with outstanding quality is the Leviton S1000-PS Office Grade Surge Strip with Six Outlets, a 5-star product that I own and have reviewed here. I run two notebook computers with this, along with a few chargers. There are others if you look.

If all that you're looking for is a basic surge protector with a reasonable amount of surge suppression, then this one from Belkin is a decent choice, and certainly better than the basic power strip. I actually came back recently and bought a second one this year. But if your needs call for more, then the above listed alternates may be worth a look.

33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
I will let my pictures do the talking. The Belkin surge protector was plugged directly to the wall outlet. I bought it for the flat plug and was left in the same position since day 1. I do not think over-rotation is the issue. I will also contact Belkin as this is a safety concern.
review image review image review image
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2009
Rotating flat plug is excellent, you can pretty much accomodate any need without blocking plugs, and it really is quite flat. This is just an inexpensive power strip and that's great. I probably have 10 power strips around my house, and who wants to pay a lot for them?

I notice a reviewer complaining about fried equipment. If I had anything expensive to plug in, I'd put it on a Cyberpower or APC UPS with AVR. I don't expect any power strip to do much to protect against big power spikes. Even a high-priced power strip is still just feeding you raw power out of the wall with some sort of switch-to-ground in case something spikey comes along. With the Automatic Voltage Regulating UPS you can get clean power and even Pure Sine Wave output but you won't get that in a cheap little power strip.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2011
I wanted something cheap that would allow me to plug in multiple electronics so in this respect Belkin has done Okay. The price is great and it's easy to use. Some people complained about the On/Off switch where the cable runs out of and I didn't find that annoying or difficult to find, though I've had many other power strips with On/Off switches. I find that feature useful (when going out of town, I just switch it off instead of unplugging it). Others have said that the outlets are too close together and that's my one complaint about htis product as well. They are closer together than I thought which makes plugging in and taking out difficult or very limited if you have anything bigger than a standard two or three-prong plug.
Unless I find something cheaper or near the same price with more space, I would buy this again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2010
We were using it in one of our kitchen outlets. We were only using 4 out of the 6 outlets and not even on very high-powered appliances, and after only 3 months of use we noticed that one of the metal prongs had melted into our wall outlet. We almost couldn't pull it out! Luckily all our appliances were ok, but it took us a while and a lot of hassle to have to re-trip our circuit breakers to get the power working again. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
We are removing every Belkin power strip in our home. The power went out in our home and when they turned it back on it came in too high. Two of our Belkin Power Strips caught fire. Like, real, live, flames. Burned our carpet and ruined some things plugged in. I realize these are not surge protectors but nothing else was damaged in our home.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2014
Dangerous Fire Hazard. I've had this hooked up for 7 months and today it tried to burn down the house. Pictures attached to product page.

I heard this stupid thing smoldering and thank goodness because I was on my way out the door for work. This ruined my Belkin WeMo Switch and nearly burned down the house. I will be contacting Belkin to get a full refund on both.
review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2012
I put this power strip under my desk at work after I was tired of the cleaning crew hitting the power button on my old plug strip with their vacuum cleaners. This plug strip "hides" the power button on the end so it's much more difficult to accidentally kick it.

I try to write helpful reviews so comment or vote yes if you think this review helped you in your decision to buy.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse