4.0 out of 5 stars First impression
Published 23 months ago by Susan M

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Case and Great Keyboard - But Not Together
Published 22 months ago by Dina

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Case and Great Keyboard - But Not Together, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Belkin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case for Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (will not fit HDX models) (Accessory)
Belkin has made a decent case and a great Bluetooth keyboard but did not follow through on putting them together. First, the case: great fit with the KF HD, well made, OK synthetic cover material, nice and soft interior, cutouts in all the right places. The case stays closed with a magnetic tab. When the case is open, the tab folds back and stays out of the way. The keyboard was a snap to connect via Bluetooth, and I love typing on it. It's light but not flimsy, perfect for the KF HD or any other Bluetooth enabled device. The rechargeable battery means there's no need to worry about remembering to bring extra batteries - a big plus in my book. A USB charging cable is included.

However... the keyboard attaches to the cover with Velcro. When I leave the keyboard in the cover, the angle of the Kindle propped up is too small, making the KF unstable. It's unstable enough to fall face down on top of the keyboard. I did not notice any scratches but I would not risk it again. When I remove the keyboard, the KF HD can be propped up at several different angles and is much more stable. But then I have to hold the keyboard - with the scratchy part of the Velcro on it - on my lap or need a table to use it comfortably.

When the cover is closed with the keyboard in place, the whole thing is understandably bulkier compared to the KF in a case without a keyboard. I mentioned the soft interior of the case - too bad the screen of the Kindle does not touch any of that softness because it is facing the keyboard. Sure, the keyboard has two rubber thingies on the top - presumably to keep the Kindle screen from touching the keyboard - but I don't feel the screen is protected enough should I toss the Kindle in a bag or should it come across any kind of pressure. I'd be happy to keep the keyboard out of the case if there was a separate carrying case for it.

Last but not least - the price. For $100, I would expect a genuine leather case with all of the above issues resolved. I bought it at a lightning deal for just under $60, and that would have been a fair price if not for the way the keyboard and case are put together. As it is, if you want a Bluetooth keyboard for your Kindle Fire HD, I suggest going with a good case for the Kindle and a separate keyboard. Belkin does offer a similar standalone keyboard. Unfortunately, it again comes without a carrying case.

In short, this case / keyboard combo could easily earn 5 stars if the Velcro is eliminated, the price is about 40% lower, and the keyboard gets a cover to protect it and the KF HD screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars First impression, December 11, 2012
Susan M (California, USA) - See all my reviews
The keyboard structural quality is very good. Good feel when typing. There is an LED light indicating the keyboard is turned on. The charge cord is 5' which is pretty standard. The leather is thin and light weight which is desirable for compactness. I was really worried that the whole setup would be pretty thick and heavy. I don't want a thick heavy book to carry around or I'd just get a laptop. The letters on the keyboard keys are light gray on black. White on black would be preferable if you type by sight. If you are a tactile typist then probably not a problem. There is no place to hold a capacitive stylist which is a negative.

Belkin vs CrazyOnDigital Ionic Bluetooth Keyboard Tablet Stand
The keyboard can be removed and the viewing angle of the display adjusted to varying degrees. Adjusting the viewing angle is not possible with the Ionic which we also considered. Another differential is that with the Belkin my wife can use this as a laptop, with the Ionic, you need a flat table surface to support the display.

One important note that I've not found anywhere, even on the Belkin home page (because they don't even list this product) is that the Kindle wakes up when the folio is opened. It also happens to turn on when closed to so the intelligence is not that great but that could be a Kindle issue, not necessarily a Belkin product issue.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cover won't stand up--overpriced, December 13, 2012
Amazon Customer (Sylmar, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
The cover just won't stay propped up. Even if it is used on a flat surface with a stylus it slides over and is much worse if no stylus is used. There is no solid hinge or slot for the cover. There is only a fold that it leans against. And it's even worse if you try to.use it in your lap. It appears to be a quality product. It feels good and looks good. The keyboard pairs easily and works fine. It's lightweight. But it's overpriced compared with most competitive products that can stay open properly. It's also important to point out that the magnetic clasp doesn't use the standby feature of other covers, so it doesn't automatically shutdown or turn on the Kindle, and the cover partially blocks the power button.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was expecting, December 12, 2012
Just received the Belkin bluetooth keyboard Folio case. The Fire Hd 8.9 fits in it perfectly. There are cut out in the sides to allow for inserting cords, turning on and off, etc. The case seems to be well made. Of what material, I don't know. It looks like leather but there are many good imitations these days. It looks well-made to me as the stitches are strong and even. Some of the inside is tan colored suede like material. The Kindle Fire HD fits very well into one side of the case with the bottom material that is tucked up and under the kindle with a small velcro catch to hold in place. There is a magnetic catch that holds the case closed. Opening and closing the case has had no effect on turning on or off the kindle hd.

The bluetooth keyboard is hard plastic and the keys are responsive. Once the fire hd bluetooth is turned on and the keyboard was turned on, they paired easily. The keyboard appears lightweight, sturdy and is very functional. Attaches to the other side of the cover with velcro in each corner. As pictured, it can be removed from the velcro for other positioning options. There is an on/off switch on the bottom corner.

It came with a cord with two different sizes USB sockets. One the size of the kindle and the other is the like those commonly found on computers. Edit-- I found the small insert of instructions afterall. The cord is to charge the keyboard and has a amber led that will go out when the device is charged. The status led light will flash blue if not paired. There are specific instructions on how to pair with the fire hd. Pairing will only need to be redone if pairing with a different device reportedly. The keyboard has a battery saving mode.

I will try to add more information as I experienced them using this keyboard with the tablet. For those that have little experience with tablets as I do, maybe this info will be useful. Many of the functions of the keyboard do not work as a keyboard normally would. Such as "control and A" does not select 'Highlight all" option so then, one can change the font, delete, copy or whatever. So far, just the basic keyboard functions such as typing letters, delete, caps, etc. seem to work well. Maybe it will improve with experience.

One new experience that I do not like is that when the battery on the kindle hd is low, one can not plug the fire in to charge and also use the keyboard at the same time. The plug is on the bottom as situated when using the case so it interfers. This may be the case with all tablet cases--I do not know.

By the way, the keyboard has that it was developed in California and made in China.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paired with both my Kindle Fire HD's & my IPod Touch; Excellent keyboard - case is okay, December 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, I charged the keyboard as instructed. It took about an hour to fully charge.

It quickly paired with my 8.9" Fire & makes typing easier. The case itself doesn't have any padding, is stiff & lightweight. The keyboard attaches to the case with 4 velcro strips & can be removed and repositioned. The Fire has 5 landscape positions. However, the Fire isn't overly stable when in these positions.

I'm a good typist. The keyboard responded quickly & accurately while I was using OfficeSuite Pro & browsing the web. The keys are nicely spaced & easy to use; Belkin describes them as "well-spaced TruType keys." This keyboard is Laptop Magazine reviewer's choice for accurate typing. Included on the keyboard are function-specific shortcut keys that allow you to cut & paste text, control volume, music & videos, view & send email, & keys that correspond to the Fire's shortcuts. I'm having some difficulty because there's no mouse. However, the arrow keys move around the document & menus. The more I use the keyboard the easier moving around webpages & documents will become for me. The keys' labels/icons are gray; they're not bright enough & are difficult to see. White would've been a better choice. Because a reference chart that explains the function of the icon/key wasn't included, I'm experimenting with them to see what happens. And, the more I experiment, the more I like this keyboard!

This case is not advertised as a sleep/wake case, but once in a while it functions as one; other times the sleep/wake function is temperamental & doesn't work. I have experienced many instances when the case will not wake up the Fire. I tested this by turning the keyboard on before opening the case & leaving the keyboard off while opening the case. I will continue to test this more & update my findings.

The keyboard also paired with my 7" Kindle Fire HD & my IPod Touch 4G. The keyboard will pair automatically with the first device you pair it with when both devices are switched on. Pairing must be performed every time you want to use the keyboard with a different tablet or smartphone. Anyway, I'm pleased that I can use this keyboard with my 8.9", my 7" HD Fire, as well as my IPod Touch 4G.

The battery is recharged using the included USB cable & is advertised to hold a charge for up to 60 hours of active use or up to 2000 hours of standby. It is designed to prolong battery life. If it enters battery-saving mode, simply press any key to wake the keyboard.

The case features a camera lens cutout so you can snap a photo while your Fire is still in the case....I know, I know taking a photo with the Fire HD isn't easy, but it is fun. I take videos with it too.

All in all, this is a nice folio. The keyboard is accurate & responsive. My one keyboard complaint is that the icons & lettering are gray and hard to see. The case itself could be better. It does a decent job of protecting the Fire HD, but the Fire isn't as stable as it should be when it's angled. Also, the keyboard can be folded back, out of the way, to use the Fire for reading or viewing videos, but I find holding the Fire HD with the keyboard folded back somewhat awkward.

Limited one-year product warranty
Made in China

1/3/13: I revised my review & added new information when I discovered that this keyboard also pairs with my IPod Touch.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love it but buyer beware, 3rd party seller,and it's broke,won't sync with kindle fire HD 8.9, April 24, 2013
Shari Riley (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
The keyboard doesn't sync with my kindle, so what's the use in having it. I am sending it back but unfortunately it's a third party seller so hopefully things will go smoothly. I wanted a replacement but amazon said they can't do that, being it's a third party seller, so buyer beware on the 3rd party sellers. I will update as soon as I get a response from this seller. I really loved the product, the style, was so excited to be let down immediately. I tried everything I knew and even looked it up on internet only to find it happens a lot to other buyers. I hope they fix the problem and I would for sure buy it and tell others about it, but we will see how this goes. I am a amazon addict and I rate as I see it. Not that I have ever took back a comment after the buyer has fixed the issue, they like myself are not perfect. If they fix the issue I fix the rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Misses the mark, February 4, 2013
I read the reviews before purchasing, and was hesitant but it seems about the best option available so I ordered it. AS several others noted, when the keyboard is in the Velcros, the kindle tends to tip over when in use. And the base of the Kindle is not anchored so when you use the screen taps, it pushes it till it tips over. It should have been designed so the keyboard could slide back away from the Kindle in the easel position to allow greater angle on the Kindle which would make it more secure. If you disconnect the keyboard and reattach the upper Velcros to the lower position it sits pretty well, but ut us a pain to have to disconnect the Velcro each time to use it this way. There are lots of special keys on the keyboard, but the symbols on the keys are just about impossible to see unless you are in a very brightly lit area. White symbols or back-lit keys would make it much easier to use in lower light. It did pair easily, and when set up right typing is pretty comfortable so I gave it three stars but I would be the first one to replace it if something more user friendly designer became available. Belkin must have been in a hurry to get this out for the Kindle market and didn't give it the design thought it needed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cover is too awkward to use, March 30, 2013
PRJones "prj" (Tampa Bay , FL, US) - See all my reviews
This cover is extremely awkward to use and I would have expected much more for the $100 price. It is near impossible to get to the switch and the cover design makes the Kindle very awkward and heavy even with the keyboard removed.The design joins have the look of homemade with the way the seams extend beyond the unit. I have separated the keyboard and can use it that way if I really need a separate keyboard.
I have since replaced it with another brand that is 1/5 the price regular and I got that for 1/2 off and it is much easier to use, has the on feature incorporated in the cover and the switch is also easy to access if needed. It even includes a stylus. So I found that the $10 cover was much better than the $100 cover.

3.0 out of 5 stars bad keyboard graphics, February 5, 2013
I love being able to use this keyboard for net searching and FB responses. However the numbers on the keys are too hard to see in low light. Would have liked them to be florescent at least, or painted a brighter white. Would also have liked a numeric keypad, but knew that when I bought it

3.0 out of 5 stars Good soft leather case and keyboard but is it really worth $100?, December 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Belkin Bluetooth keyboard is a really nice and well made soft leather case that looks more like a book cover it is that thin (unlike other case/keyboard combinations I have).

This case is designed specifically for the Kindle 8.9 HD and it's very easy to just slide your kindle inside. A small flap keeps it nice and snug inside its window and velcro's to the velvet like back that your kindle rests on.

There are the required cutouts for access to the volume rocker, on/off switch, headphone jack and speakers. The kindle only fits into the sleeve one way for access to these buttons but that is not a problem.

The keyboard has a nice solid feel to it and is a pleasure to type on (This review is being typed using this keyboard as testament to how good it is to use). As well as the standard keyboard layout there is an additional row of keys above the number keys for various functions mostly to do with video playback and cut and paste functionality. There are also additional keys at the bottom for fast access to the kindle home page, mail etc.

Pairing the device to your kindle is very simplicity itself. Just turn on bluetooth on your kindle (slide from the top to bring up the systems functions and select wireless), turn on the keyboard and type in the number that the kindle tells you to. That's all. Once done you shouldn't need to pair the keyboard again.

The cover doubles as a stand which works well (I've read reviews that said people can't get the stand to work but I've had absolutely no problems with this).

The Belkin Bluetooth keyboard oozes with quality, nice feel, good stitching and is something that will last a long time and for that I would easily give this a 4 star rating. However I feel that the price of this case is far too expensive. It's roughly another 1/3 of the price of kindle itself.

I would give this 4.5 stars for its construction, feel etc.

But due to the price, I have to knock off a star and only give it a 3.5 rating. Very good but pricey.