Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

VINE VOICEon March 22, 2012
Color: GreySize: iPadVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll be honest, I didn't expect to like this case THAT much because I assumed it was the big, bulky binder-like cases that flooded the market when iPad 2 came out last year. As it turns out, this case is everything I had hoped for (at least for the things I wanted in a case). This case arrived on 3/16 (one day delivery, thanks Amazon!), same day as the new iPad "3". I also had two different back covers that I had ordered in advance, as well as the black leather Apple Smart Cover. I wanted to test it all in one shot. I did think that the Smart Cover with back cover combo was going to be the winner. WRONG. That combo worked ok but had two major faults: not enough protection if I dropped the iPad, and total cost of $93 ($75 for Smart Cover with Tax, $18 for back cover with shipping). There's actually a third problem which I'll explain in a minute.

Enter the Cinema Dot Folio: first, the iPad3 fits like a glove in the very simple but strong corner holders, VERY good design there. The cover and construction is just right, not too bulky but definitely strong enough to take a accidental drop. But what I really like is the fact that the cover flap folds behind nice and flat just like the original Apple Case did with iPad1. The Cinema Dot also hs a magnetic little flap that's just strong enough to keep the case closed, and as an added bonus, works in reverse to keep the cover in place when I do fold it behind.

The last and best feature of the case also addresses the #3 issue I mentioned earlier: this case has two different ways of propping the iPad up. One is identical to the original Apple Case for iPad1 where you can fold the cover behind flat like I mentioned before, or you cand half-fold it to prop it up a bit for typing. There's even a slotted flap to slide the cover in behind just like the original Apple Case which I like. However, this Cinema Dot props the iPad up just a bit higher which is GREAT, the iPad1 case was a bit too flat and you often caught ceiling light reflections. BUT, this Cinema Dot also lets you reverse the cover flap and allows you to prop the iPad up much more vertically for watching it like a TV, etc, and you have many incremented slots to choose from so you get most any angle. Our conference room chairs at work are really low so there's no way to type on the iPad when it's in the first standard position, propped up for typing. This used to drive me nuts with iPad 1. But on Monday we had a long meeting and I used the TV position to prop up this iPad and that worked perfectly. I'm tellin' ya, this is THE case to get!

I hope all of this made sense. Vine or no Vine, this case gets 5 stars and I'd buy it again. In fact, I went back to the Apple Store a few days ago and returned the $69 Smart Cover. Oh, quick side note: this Cinema Dot case works with the Smart Cover in place also, so if you want the ultimate protection at any expense, double 'em up!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2013
I have had an iPad 3 for over a year now. When I first received it, I knew that I would want a folio case. I do a lot of searching around on Amazon to find what is the most popular and well rated product out there. At the time this case was brand new, so I figured why not? When I received it I was amazed at how well put together it was. Putting my iPad into it was very simple because this case holds it by the four corners. The folio also provides protection to the iPad by covering the screen and corners if it were to fall. The folio is also very easy to take the iPad back out and clean it off or what not. I normally keep the folio closed with the iPad screen down on my desk and when I open it, I just hold on the magnet flap and pull up as the iPad counter-weights and swings into the viewing angle.

I love the fact that it has so many viewing angles. It works perfectly at any angle too. I've used it on the table, my desk, flat on the ground, and even on my stomach when I lay down. I also fold the cover around the back and I'm able to hold the case in one hand. Something else that I like about this case is that the magnets that are used to keep the folio shut and used for the sleep/wake feature are strong enough to hold my iHome stylus pen.

Over the past year with the case I've noticed some common wear and tear on it. One, the rubber edges that hold the iPad in place have weakened a little. They are still able to hold the iPad fine, but it does seem loose some times. Two, the corners of the folio have worn off somewhat. They are now a light grey color compared to the all black it use to be. And three, the magnet flap that holds the folio shut is not as ridged as it use to be. Overall the case is still my favorite case and I do not plan to change it anytime soon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Belkin's Cinema Dot Folio case is NOT made of leather, but it has a very high quality feel and is a lot less bulky compared to other cases of the same type.

What I like most about the design is the rubber corners that are used to hold the iPad in place. The rubber corners not only protect the iPad from bumps, they hold the iPad very securely while minimally intrude onto the glass surface or affect the clean look of the iPad. It is the best implementation I have seen yet.

When installing your iPad, just slide the tablet into two corners, then push the third and fourth corners toward the center. You should hear and feel "clicks", so that you know all four corners are properly fitted.

While other cases generally have three angles for positioning the iPad stand, the Cinema Dot Folio has five. In fact, due to the synthetic material used that feels like fine felt, it provides a lot more friction to allow nearly INFINITE angle of adjustment. This is great.

There is a magnetic clasp that keeps the two halves of the case together. The magnetic force is just right to keep it closed, while you do not need to pry it open when you need to use the iPad.

There is a camera lens hole on the back of the case to allow the iPad to be used to take pictures and make video, without having to take it out of the case.

I recommend this case for its superior design and materials.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
As other people have mentioned it has a funny smell when you get it. This goes away after a while, but it's something to note. I've been using this with my iPad daily for the last 5 months and felt like I should put some things down for posterity.

- When I first got it the portrait setup mode of the case worked really well. This was basically the reason I got it. After a while the little grippy pieces stopped working and now it always slides off them at some point. I have to fiddle with it constantly to find the right angle so it doesn't slip off.

- The cover is horrendous. It doesn't sit flat so the magnet that triggers auto-wake is constantly being tripped and it kills my battery. It has never sat right and no amount of coaxing will straighten it out. I'm afraid if I bend it any further or firmer it will break.

- It does protect it rather well when in a bag. So there's that.

So it functions for 2/3 things you'd buy it for. Would not recommend.
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2012
Color: GreySize: iPadVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a decent case for an iPad 2 but not a 3rd generation iPad. I have both iPads and, while they both fit snugly in the case, the automatic sleep and wake up function only works on the iPad 2. Even on the iPad 2, it's a bit fussy and is possible for the magnets to not align correctly and not make it go to sleep. I assume these problems are because of the corner brackets that secure the device. They protrude above the screen so the cover never actually contacts the screen. In contrast, the Apple smart cover always latches perfectly on both generations of iPads.

Other than the smart cover problems, it's a well designed, if bulky, case. I particularly like the magnetic clasp that holds it shut. You don't have to snap it or slide it into a groove. And when the case is open, it flips around and magnetically secures to the back cover. Most cases leave this kind of clasp to dangle and get in the way when open.

The prop-up typing mode is sturdy and the iPad can be stood up at multiple angles in landscape orientation for watching a movie. This is it's best feature.

The price for the positional flexibility is that the case is kind of floppy and cumbersome to open and close. It's definitely not minimalistic with it's multiple pivot points and differing textures.

I prefer a more minimal case for everyday use and the auto sleep not working on the iPad 3 is a deal breaker. But this case does have it's uses and is the one I'll take on an airplane so I can stand up the iPad and watch a movie.
on August 23, 2013
This inexpensive, well made cover is the best after market product I have made for my Ipad.
It is well made, simple, but works better than the $50 cover it replaced and is much better constructed.
Love it and so will you!
Color: GreySize: iPadVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an awesome holder and it works with my ipad 2. It is a little tough getting all four corners tucked in, but once you get it, your ipad will be held in place very securely.

It has a magnet tab that both holds the case closed and will turn the ipad off when you close it and on when you open it. That function works really well and I've gotten used to using the closure tab instead of the hard-to-find on/off button on my ipad.

The angle holder works really well and never slips out of place. You have many choices on the display angle. I only wish it had a pivot function so I could use it in portrait (it only works in landscape, long side horizontal)

Good value and good product!
on July 19, 2013
Completely satisfied with the build quality, durability (medium use), looks and value. The only, mild concern is that it doesn't work as a vertical stand.

UPDATE: the problem that many other reviewers reported on appeared several months later. The top cover is not held firmly enough in place, so it slides and magnetic switch turns the iPad on and off all the time. Basically to continue using this cover, we had to turn off magnetic cover setting on the iPad, and turn it on/off manually.
on May 10, 2013
I meant to order "Belkin Cinema Stripe Folio Case with Stand for the New Apple 4th/3rd Generation and iPad 2 (Black/Grey)", also available on Amazon, but I inadvertently ordered this product. I am disappointed and am kicking myself. I don't like the material of this case at all, looks cheap/feels cheap. I wish I could return it. The only reason I'm keeping this is that I don't want to pay for return shipping.
on May 22, 2014
I got this as a gift for my stepson's 2nd gen iPad. We bought him one when he got the iPad, but it was falling apart after a year, so I looked for a new one. I had looked at several other folios/cases in the $20 to $30 range that fully protected the iPad and had a stand feature on eB*y and only found cheap no-name brands that looked nice, but didn't protect the corners and had iffy quality. I found this one and the price was ridiculously low (bought on eB*y with free shipping). It retailed from $50 to $60, and Belkin is a brand I trust, so I snatched it up.

The Cinema Dot is a folio/case for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen full-size iPads. It's made of a soft, textured leatherette material that looks and feels really nice. It seems to be very durable and is water-resistant and I'd estimate to be about 3.5 or 4 mm thick. The back "hinge" area of the case is reinforced with extra material as are the edges. It includes a magnetic flap on the front and back side to hold the case closed, and has a feature that wakes the iPad when the cover is opened. On the inside, it's lined with a velvet-like very soft material, almost like the rubberized battery covers of some cell phones, but much softer and more fibrous, which should protect the screen and keep it from getting scratched. The top, bottom, and right side (flap side) are open to allow access to the power, 3.5mm headphone jack, volume, and charging port. They are deeply recessed to prevent damage in a fall, so that was a very welcomed feature. The cut-out for the camera is cut to fit, so it stays out of the camera lens.

There's an integrated stand that allows the iPad to be propped up a wide variety of angles for viewing movies or web browsing. There are 5 non-slip strips with 4 ribs in each, so you can stand the iPad 90 degrees to I'd estimate to be 30 degrees. They worked great and kept the iPad stood up securely.

The thing that sold me on this besides the brand and quality was that it offered 360-degree protection for the iPad (top, bottom, and sides). Inside, it has 4 TPU (thermoplastic urethane, like a D30 mobile phone case) corner protectors that would protect the edges if dropped and keep the screen from getting cracked (the iPad had already sustained that damage to one corner and cracked part of the screen). It does take a little effort to get the iPad in the case as the corner protectors are a snug fit, but that's a benefit as it would keep the iPad from shifting and significantly reduce shock when dropped. I'd have no reservations saying your iPad would be safe if you dropped it with this case on.

My only gripe is the "wake" function didn't work when I opened the case. That's the biggest one.

Pros

Thick outer case material
Durable
Water resistant
Fully protects the sides and edges of the iPad
5 position stand works great
Easy access to the buttons
High quality
Magnetic closure

Cons

Magnetic "wake" function didn't work

This is a fantastic case/folio for the 2nd to 4th generation iPad. It's tough, durable, attractive, functional, and high quality. You can't find a better case for this price anywhere. The original case lasted for less than 2 years and cost twice as much as this one. I have no reservations giving this 5 stars. You won't be disappointed.