1,547 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple, Well-Designed, Easy To Use Timer Switch
With many "Conserve" products, Belkin doesn't necessarily create a brand new concept with their creation, but they excel in design and execution!

I am a fan of their remote-switch "Conserve" power strip, and I love this little gadget too.

Published on August 6, 2010 by P. Colin McGraw

3.0 out of 5 stars At first, I was happy with this purchase... (review updated)
I originally bought three of these, as I knew I wanted at least two right away. I sort of figured another usage would show itself eventually.

Published on August 10, 2011 by Knightwind

3.0 out of 5 stars At first, I was happy with this purchase... (review updated), August 10, 2011

Anyway, I bought one for my stereo system, as I like to go to sleep with music. Yet, I wanted it to turn off the entire system after so many minutes, as I usually fall asleep pretty quickly. The 30 minute setting was perfect for this, and it performs flawlessly. I really like that the unit has a LED on the same side as the button, so you KNOW when it's on, AND, it's a green LED that turns bright immediately, then drops to a dim glow until the unit turns off. This is wonderful for bedrooms as the light is so low, you don't even notice it.

The other usage I got it for is to turn off my space heater in the winter time, as this unit can handle up to the full 15 amps of pass through current. I tested that, and that also works. I am not sure whether I will use the 30 minute, the 3 or 6 hour setting. See this is for my computer room, and I expect I'll only need it for the first 30 minutes, as my computer does a good job of heating the room after it's on a while.

Update: After only a couple of months, one of the units stopped working as a switch. It now just passes the electricity through, effectively leaving it turned on forever. This makes it worthless when it fails.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple, Well-Designed, Easy To Use Timer Switch, August 6, 2010

It's essentially just a timer for an outlet, not unlike the existing products you can find on Amazon, but Belkin greatly simplified the controls, and made it so the power timer is on-demand instead of on a schedule.

Unlike the relatively complicated dials of some other timers, the controls on the Belkin Conserve Socket are pretty much idiot proof. There's a switch on the site that lets you choose from one of three time increments (1/2 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours), then a button on top to start the timer. It then shuts itself off when the time elapses. That's it! Easy.

It's perfect for keeping a lamp on while the kids go to sleep, for charging gadgets where you want to reduce phantom draw, and this Christmas, I think I'm going to try it out for attaching my Christmas tree lights (turning the lights on only when we want to for a time).

Overall this is a nice, simple (and inexpensive!) product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost started a fire in my house, December 30, 2014
While it works, it works fine, as stated, you can set the timer to 3 different settings of 30 mins, 3 hours or 6 hours and the unit would shut off after that time.

However, I wouldn't recommend using this with anything that draws a lot of power (a heater for example). In the manual it states this outlet can handle upwards to 1800 watt. It doesn't, and I found out the hard way.

I used this with my radiating heater. It has 2 settings, 900 watt and 1500 watt. While using this with 900 watt, it works fine. However one day I used this on the 1500 watt settings, 10 mins in, I started to smell burning plastic and saw this outlet puffing smoke.

As you can see in the photo, part of it melted. Good thing I was nearby, I wouldn't wanna imagine what would have happened if I wasn't. It was already past my 1 year warranty as this was the first time I used the max setting on that heater. But from here on I would be careful with any Belkin products that has electrical currents running through.

So, if you are using this for a lower wattage use, it's great for what it does. Just don't use it with anything that draws lots of power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, August 11, 2010
jsinai (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This product works as advertised. It is just a relay that kicks off after the set amount of time. I like it because:

* It's dead easy to use
* It draws no power when off
* It is small and nice looking enough that you don't mind leaving it in a power socket
* It's rated for 15 amps, as much as any outlet can deliver, so you don't need to worry about whether you're plugging in something that could burn it out

I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars because I'd like more timeout choices than 1/2 hour, 3 hours and 6 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpler and easier to use than a Kill-A-Watt, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Insight Energy-Use Monitor (Electronics)
The Belkin Conserve Insight is a very nice piece of hardware and has a number of advantages over the Kill-A-Watt. Firstly, there are three outputs.
1) lbs/CO2 per year (or month)
2) $/year (or month)
3) Watts
Both the CO2 and $ setting can be adjusted to account for the cost and CO2 intensity for your local utility.

Averaging. One very nice feature is that after 45 minutes, the Conserve Insight goes in to averaging mode and displays the projected CO2 and $ per year. This is excellent for appliances that are turned on and off like a laptop or a refrigerator. The Watt display, however does not average. It shows the realtime updates.

Location, Location, Location: The small display for the Conserve Insight is located on the end of a 5 foot long cord. This is much better than the Kill-A-Watt that requires you to crawl on your hands and knees to get a reading. Also, the Conserve Insight is very nicely styled and looks great on a desktop. The Kill-A-Watt is much more utilitarian.

Simple: The Conserve Insight is very simple and easy to use. Personally, I do not have any problem with the Kill-A-Watts ease of use, but I have had trouble explaining it to other people.

Range: The Insight Conserve goes down to a much lower range than the Kill-A-Watt. Whereas the Kill-A-Watt bottoms out at 1 Watt, the Conserve Insight goes down to 0.5 Watts. This is a great help when trying to understand the power usage of wall hanging bricks (AC/DC converters). I am always frustrated with the Kill-A-Watt reading either 0,1, or 2. With the Conserve Insight, I can see the difference between 1.0 and 1.2. Nice.

Limits.
There are a couple of things I do not like.

Jumping Display: The watt reading updates a little to frequently. When reading the power to my laptop it jumps quickly from 30 watts to 40 watts and back again. This makes it impossible to get a sense of average power consumption.

KWH?: There is no KWH measurement. However, this can be back calculated from the $ reading and the $/KWH setting you applied to it.

Overall:
Highly recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, great implementation, POOR FEATURES, November 10, 2010
spin (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Insight Energy-Use Monitor (Electronics)
I used to own a Kill-A-Watt, buy spilled water on it so I looked after a replacement.

I got this after reading good reviews. I was warned about the lack of functionality, but thought to myself 'surely, it can't be that bad'. It turns out it IS that bad.

Here's what I did:
After setting up the price per kWh, I plugged my small washing machine in it and ran a load. I could see the real time wattage as it was running through its different stages, and that was great. At the end, it showed me the dollar / year and dollar /month amounts. However, that is meaningless to me. I would like to know how many watts or dollars the machine used during the cycle, and it will NOT show you that. I'd like to know whether it cost me 10 cents or 30 cents to run a load. Same thing with my TV. I'd like to know the price of watching TV for one hour.

Kill-a-Watt was bulkier but offered exact and valuable numbers, not CO2 crap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working - cheaply made, August 15, 2012
This is a cheaply made product, not up to the standards of prior Belkin purchases. Much worse is that it quit working after a few weeks. Not worth the hassle of returning. Great idea, poorly executed.

PS - It really needs 8 and 10 hour options to cover the spectrum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, September 3, 2010
My battery powered drills always need recharging and I was concerned about leaving them on the charger until I needed them. I've heard they could cause a fire if they get too hot. This product allows the tools to be charged but removes the danger. I purchased 4 outlets and also use them for our cell phones. You can keep your chargers plugged in but they do not draw electricity until you turn them on. The best thing is the time can be easily adjusted to 30 min, 3 hours or 6 hours. I am very pleased! The product is made very well, not shoddy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work For Dehydrator / Jerky Maker, February 21, 2012
I purchased this to use with my Nesco Jerky maker. The light goes on, and the switch on top works fine, but time when it should shut off just comes and goes. If you want a switch timer that is always on, look no further. If you want one that will shut off, you need to keep searching.

**UPDATE
Out of curiousity, I plugged a wall charger for my mobile phone into this before returning it, and it worked just fine. The problem is that the Jerky maker cycles the heating element on and off during use. The timer seems to reset every time the appliance cycles. Don't buy this for appliances that do not have a steady current draw (coffee makers, dehydrators, etc.). **See comments...

4.0 out of 5 stars Paid For Itself, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Insight Energy-Use Monitor (Electronics)
I think this is a pretty cool device. I have always wanted a kill-a-watt but then I saw this, it was cheap and I liked that it had a long cord.

I think overall it is a great item. I just wish they replaced the CO2 function with something more worthwhile. Like what others have said it would be pretty nice to know the average KW use. It will tell you what the average cost is for 30/or 365.

Example I have had my entire computer setup plugged in for a few days now, and it knows my usage. It is saying it will cost me 76.24$ a year to run my computer. Pretty cool. Also a great deal since I work at home and make my living on a computer. It would be nice if I could hit the lighting bolt and it would show me how much energy or average I have used since I plugged it in rather than currently burning 151 Watts.

Regardless this unit has saved me money. I tested a halogen floor lamp that I had in my office. It threw a good amount of light, but I never realized how expensive it would be to run. This unit told me it would be about 360 a year to run it non stop. I was using it for 10-12 hrs a day. Needless to say, I no longer use the lamp and switched down to a different floor lamp that uses 3 compact florescent bulbs instead. This will save me probably 8-10$ a month. Which will more than pay for the unit.

Also I have a UPS on my computer, which I probably no longer need since I am using a laptop, and this thing is using 21 watts just to keep it plugged in. Without the insight I would probably never paid attention.

The other thing I changed around was to have my printers on a switch now. Since I use my printers maybe 3-4 times a month, putting them on a switch will save me probably 15-20$ over the course of a year.

One thing I was surprised about was how little power my stereo / tv / xbox / ect use while they are turned off. I have read about "phantom power" & the reviews I read here I thought my wall warts, and the stereo/entertainment center would be like running a light bulb when they are off. It turns out that my stereo is .5kw when it is off, the subwoofer is the same, the xbox was also very little. So no changes were required for my electronics.

It is a pretty neat item to have around the house and it will make you think about the variety of items you have and the way you use certain things.

Updated on 3.21.11:

I got my first power bill since I got the belkin. Last month I paid 60.61 for power, this month I was down to 46.23. No changes in use other than the stuff I listed above. So for me this will pay for itself 5-6x over over the course of the year. Very happy with this purchase.