Belkin N600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender (F9K1122)
Style Name: N600Change
Price:$63.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon October 16, 2014
Style Name: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Consistent with other reviewers, I found the Belkin N300 easy to install, and you don't need an Ethernet cable. You only need your Wi-Fi password/key, and a few minutes to read the instructions and find the website.

What took a little longer was to find the right distance from my wireless router. My goal was to improve reception for my laptop and cell phone in my bedroom, which is located at the other side of the house (60 feet away), one floor up. I am unable to consistently get a blue light on the Range Extender in the bedroom. I had to move the Range Extender to the hallway outside the bedroom to get a consistent blue light (45 feet away). But there was definitely an more bars and an improvement in load time, particularly for my Verizon smart phone.
Style Name: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Belkin is a reliable company and we often turn to their products because of their consistent quality. The range extender is no different.

Set up was simple, but you WILL need your network password, so be prepared! If you don't have it written down, you'll have to get it. It comes with a cd with the set up instructions. Just follow them and it's a piece of cake!

As far as performance goes, I cannot compare it to other range extenders as this is our first experience using one. It appears that it about doubled the size of our effective range for the network. While this is a great thing, if you don't have any security on your network, you will want to fix that BEFORE you install a range extender. Now, our range includes two streets (we live on a corner) and probably several neighbors' houses too. Anybody can stroll through our yard and gain access to our network--if they have the password.

It's great. We can access the network anywhere in the house or yard, including the workshop. While that may seem minor, have you ever tried to use an online tutorial while working on a project outdoors? No more running back and forth--either a smart phone or a Kindle can easily and conveniently access the network and the desired information. No more dead spots indoors either!

Overall, it's a very inexpensive solution, especially when compared with adding additional wiring or even using an ethernet cord to bring access to a location. (I have bought & used ethernet cable stretching as much as 75', and yes, this is cheaper, even before inflation!)

As for speed, it's only able to extend your range, not create miracles. I still have Comcast service, despite fervent hopes that adding this range extender would magically transform them into a responsive company with reliable high speed service. That means that the slow downs & time outs that I had before will continue to exist. However, if Belkin could add a dash of magical transformation to this little device, they could charge three times as much and I know many people who would be online ordering one, if it could just accomplish that minor transformation...

But seriously. If you have dead spots, this is a small device that can really improve your range without a lot of complicated effort being invested into the project. It's really push a couple of buttons, type in a few characters, click your mouse and boom--it's extended.
on October 21, 2014
Style Name: N300Verified Purchase
Chose this brand because I have a Belkin router - figured there would be no compatibility issues. It linked easily with my network, and the laptop in the basement showed a stronger signal (router is on the 2nd floor). But after turning off the laptop for a while and then turning it on, couldn't get to the internet, no matter where I placed it. The laptop connected to my network, but at the same time was saying "unidentified network" when I hovered the mouse over the network icon. After several hours with Belkin tech support (no complaints there - she really tried), got it working by resetting the router, relinking the extender, etc. But after the turning the laptop off for a while, same thing. I gave up, unplugged the extender, and reset everything - now everything is back on line. The tech support lady suggested that the problem was that the router was an old model...maybe so, but I don't want to ditch perfectly good gear. So maybe this gadget will work for you, but it didn't work for me.
Style Name: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have an in-house network but it's a bit spotty in the basement and on the deck so we thought this range extender would help boost the signal in those areas. Once installed and set-up it works as we hoped. The signal isn't just extended further but also continually (according to the logs) checks signal strength and boost it a bit within it's range.

The Wi-Fi Range Extender is what you see in the photo -- a small square that's a bit rounded with a plug in the back. It comes with a disc containing the user manual. You plug in the device to any wall socket you choose -- for us it was one closest to the doors to the deck and two rooms away from the router. Then you check the list of available networks and Belkin.setup should show up. Open a web browser and go to Belkin.range then click Get Started and Follow the steps -- you'll need *your* networks password (not the administrative password but the one that you use to connect to the network).

The only problem we had was my husbands PC rebooted the day after we set it up. He found he had no internet connection and was continually dumped into the Belkin.range web page asking for the 'administrative password' to the network. Rebooting didn't help. We tried another laptop with the same problem. My laptop -- the one used for the setup still worked fine. We pulled the device out of the outlet (unplugged it). Everything worked normally. The next day we plugged it back in and everything was again working okay and the logs were also working. We rebooted the laptops that had problem the previous day and they also continued to work.

I have no idea what the problem was but unplugging the device and waiting several hours seemed to fix the problem.
Style Name: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This extender is a very useful item. The Belkin range extender was easy to set up. After setup was completed, I went about testing the range. My router is pretty powerful as it is. But, this gave me about an extra 20 feet of range. It works on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands Wi-Fi networks. I am actually going to be using this for my house in PR, where houses are made out of concrete and said concrete interferes with the signal. I will update as soon as I get it install there to see if this is the answer to my problems.
on March 16, 2014
Style Name: N600Verified Purchase
I did that, plugged it in, and it immediately put my Belkin router offline. Unplugged it immediately and called Belkin. Was on tech support call for 1.25 hours to get my regular internet back online. I had my windows 7, windows 8.1, macbook pro all in the room with me and none could get online. My bf's 8.0 *was* online to my router (somehow the range extender didn't screw it up) and if it wasn't for that machine Belkin wouldn't have been able to help me. Worst Sunday night I ever spent. Back in box, shipping tomorrow!!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2014
Style Name: N600Verified Purchase
The Extender did not work for me.
The connection was erratic and the device seemed to run hot.
I tried it in several locations with the same results.
I would set up fine but connection would fail in less than an hour.
After it cooled down I would try it again with the same results, fail after several minutes and hot.
I love Belkin and I have had two Belkin routers but this extender does not meet my expectations.
on December 27, 2013
(Note: See update below)

As far as I can tell, Belkin's changed this product, because what I got was not what other reviewers described.

I got a box with the WiFi range extender and a single card that had 4 steps of instructions on it and a setup CD (which was hidden under the cardboard in which the range extender was seated). There was no ethernet cable, nor any mention of such on the outside of the box.

The 4-step instructions were inaccurate. They said to plug the device in, connect to the "Belkin.setup" network, and go to "http://belkin.range" in a web browser (making a special point to say you could do this on your smart phone). Well, my iPhone said it couldn't find a server named belkin.range. After digging into settings, I connected to the router's IP address (192.168.206.1), and got the setup screens. Went through them, got set up (I was connecting to our main Belkin router). Ran a speed test from a previously-inaccessable part of the house, and got relatively high bandwidth. Yay! I thought.

Well, that lasted for a minute or so, and then the connection became flaky. I looked at the range extender and the light had changed from blue to amber. After finding a page on Belkin's site about the router (absolutely no manual was included in the box), I found out that amber meant a weak connection, and blinking amber meant no WiFi connection.

So, I took the range extender to the room the router's in and plugged it in. The light started blinking blue (which means it's booting, according to belkin.com), then solid blue (which means a good connection), then to blinking Amber (which means no connection).

On my phone I connected to the 5GHz channel network's ssid so I could connect to the router and get the setup page (I was otherwise unable to get the setup page). The range extender said it wasn't connected to a WiFi network, and that the signal strength was good. As it wasn't connected, doing a firmware update didn't work.

Since having the range extender was a "nice to have" option for us, I opted to return it rather than waste more than the hour I'd already wasted on it.

You may be able to fight with this enough to make it work (which seems to be what other reviewers managed), or get another model that actually has accurate setup instructions.

I've dealt with a few range extenders at various places, and have frequently found them to have issues (such as popping up a setup menu at odd times, Netgear). For reliability, I'd recommend running an ethernet cable and a second wireless router if you possibly can as that's still the most reliable way to extend your network. Second choice would be one of the extenders that uses cable or electrical outlets to do that. Third would be to find a range extender that really works - but this was the most likely candidate I could find on Amazon, so I'll be looking at cable/wire-based extenders.

UPDATE: After getting a second wind I tried more. The status indicator is poor: it indicates the condition of the worst signal. So, if the 5GHz connection fails but the 2.4GHz connection is ok, the light will blink (indicating loss of WiFi). I've plugged it back in, waited, and connected with a computer instead of an iPhone (the setup page is very difficult to navigate on the iPhone). The light is amber (meaning weak signal), but looking at the setup page it's the 5GHz band that's weak. 5GHz usually has less range, so that's to be expected. More importantly, speed tests show 30Mbps down, 3.7 up (which is about what I get at the router, so the cable connection's the limiting factor), and the connection seems to be holding. So, the Belkin gets to stay. I'm updating my rating from 1 to 4 stars, which may be generous, but bad indicator and instructions or not, it is successfully extending the wireless network. I'll update this review if that changes.
on November 4, 2014
Style Name: N300
I bought this wi-fi range extender after spending several hours trying in vain to get a more expensive product from another manufacturer to work. The Belkin N300 was so easy to set up and boosted the download speed for my smart tv at the far-side of the house from about 200 Kbs to about 4,000 Kbs. This is more than fast enough to stream movies. One thing to note about this range extender is that your device (smart tv in my case) will not "see" the extender but just "see" a vastly improved router. I just had to reenter the router's pass key code into the tv. A great product at a great price..
Style Name: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Please note, this is one of those circumstances where Amazon has grouped three different products together and clumped all of the different reviews into one grouping. This is really not a fair way to rate a product. If one of the products is terrible and only gets one star, it brings the average of all three products down with it. With this in mind look at each individual review carefully and make sure it is reviewing the product you are interested in. Also the specs listed on the product page are actually incorrect for the model that is being reviewed here.

The Belkin N300 Wall-Mount Wi-Fi Range Extender does not have a wired Ethernet connection, therefore does not have a LAN port. It has no (external) antennas, and does not operate on the 5.0 GHz band. It is only a single band extender and only operates on the 2.4 GHz range. Amazon really needs to correct this practice of grouping items together in electronics. It may work for an item of clothing in a different color or size, but the same does not hold true for electronics.

I needed a Wi-Fi range extender because my garage is a dead spot, and I like to stream music from my home music system while working out there. The N300 seemed to fit the bill.

The directions on the quick installation guide make setup of the plug in Wi-Fi range extender easy. You need to find a spot that has at least two bars on your phone, tablet or computer. Luckily towards the back of the garage I had a few bars of signal near the door, but towards the front the cinderblock completely blocks the signal from coming through. So the back was the perfect place, luckily there was an AC outlet back there to plug the extender into. After it is plugged in the light on the front blinks blue. I searched my Wi-Fi SSID's for the "Belkin setup" network and connected to it. Next, I opened my browser and typed in http://Belkin.range and followed the setup directions. First find the Wi-Fi network to be extended, then type in the password if it has one. After a few seconds the light on the unit turns solid blue indicating it has a strong signal and is working. The light could be solid amber, which means it is receiving a weak signal and will run at a slower speed. If there is a blinking amber light the unit is not connecting to your Wi-Fi network at all and needs to be relocated. Once setup is complete, just connect back to your Wi-Fi network and the signal should be stronger now.

Now where I got virtually no bars towards the front of the garage, I get five bars. I am able to stream music and video without a problem, and my dead spot is gone. Not only that, but I am able to get a Wi-Fi signal all the way out to the street and in places in the front yard that were a dead spot before. After a while I went back and checked the N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender out and I noticed that the light had turned from blue to amber meaning the unit was receiving a weaker signal. However, I did not notice any change in performance, it must be on the upper threshold of being weak. I also noticed that the unit ran a bit hot, so keep this in mind and provide enough airflow around it.

Since I got an amber light at the location first chosen for the extender I decided to try a few different spots in the garage and basement to see I could get better performance. I was pleased to see that once I unplugged it and moved it to a different location that all of the settings were retained and I did not have to go through the setup process again. As it turned out the original spot was the best spot, even with the solid amber light. I truly did not expect the Belkin N300 to work as well as it did, for something you just basically plug into the wall and forget about. If anything changes I will update this review, but for now, that's what I've got for you.

UPDATE - the light changed back to blue and has remained that color in the back of the garage. The unit is working well.

UPDATE 2 - I switched out my Router to an TP-LInk Archer C9 and now the range extender will connect for a short period of time, then disconnect until I manually reconnect it. If I go out to the garage the device is just blinking amber. This router is not playing nice with the Belkin Range Extender!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations