Belkin F5D8000 Wireless Pre-N Desktop Network Card
|Price:||$34.99 + $5.99 shipping|
Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- 800 percent greater coverage than standard 802.11g with improved reliability and fewer drops
- 600 percent greater speed than standard 802.11g--great for gaming, streaming video, Voice over IP, and moving large files
- Using this Pre-N card with an older 802.11g or 802.11b networking product increases your wireless coverage up to 20 percent
- Will not drop to the lowest networking speed in a mixed-mode environment if a standard 802.11g or 802.11b device is introduced
- WiFi Protected Access (WPA) support protecting your wireless network with enhanced encryption
Customers Also Shopped For
From the Manufacturer
With a Belkin wireless Pre-N router as the central connection point of your network, your computers can share your high-speed Internet account as well as files, printers, and hard drives.
Belkin's Pre-N technology offers backward compatibility with existing 802.11g and 802.11b products to provide seamless integration with existing wireless networks. In fact, its advanced technology enables Belkin Pre-N products to significantly improve the performance of standard 802.11g and 802.11b devices in a mixed-network environment.
- 800 percent greater coverage than standard 802.11g: Belkin Pre-N provides the industry's best wireless coverage, extending your range with improved reliability and fewer drops
- 600 percent greater speeds than standard 802.11g: Belkin Pre-N provides the industry's fastest wireless connection for gaming, streaming video, Voice over IP, and moving large files efficiently and quickly between all the devices in your networked home
- Improved performance of standard 802.11g and 802.11b networking devices: Using a Belkin Pre-N Router or Card with an older 802.11g or 802.11b networking product increases wireless coverage up to 20 percent
- Improved resistance to wireless interference: Belkin Pre-N products sense potential interference and dynamically shift to the clearest wireless channel available
- Belkin Pre-N products do not drop to the lowest networking speed in a mixed-mode environment if a standard 802.11g or 802.11b device is introduced into a Belkin Pre-N network: Belkin Pre-N products will continue to transmit at a link rate of 108 Mbps, a result competing products cannot achieve
- Advanced Security: WiFi Protected Access (WPA) support provides enhanced encryption protecting your wireless network
- Pop-up Blocker: 6 months of free pop-up, adware, and spyware stopper
- UPC: 722868540879
Top Customer Reviews
It was hell when I tried installing the PreN Desktop Card (this is in place of having an antenna) into the PreN PCI CardBus adapter on my new Dell Win XP SP2. The instructions tell you to install your Card "label side UP, into the PreN PCI Adapters' CardBus". Well, both sides have labels, so I took it to mean the words 'Belkin' and two small LED's as the 'UP' side. The Computer would not recognize the card. After multiple attempts, I thought I would have to return the PreN Desktop card due to incompatibility. I tried surfing the net one more time and came across a forum message with someone having this same problem. They spoke with Belkin tech support and were told that the Belkin installation guide is wrong. The card needs to be inserted facing 'DOWN'. I tried it and it immediately was recognized. As frustrating as it gets, I guess it just takes a little perseverance versus giving up.
So, aside Belkin's Topsy Turvy joke, I'm glad I got it to work because it's a screamer.
Overall, I highly recommend the Belkin Pre-N products over Linksys and Netgear. I have heard from other colleagues that the Linksys is more expensive, yet does not perform as well as the Belkin and the Netgear product has some flaws that prohibit it from working efficiently.
The only reason we don't have a Pre-N on the third computer is that it has no slots available and must use an external USB 11g. I see where Netgear now has a Pre-N USB and plan to get one (we'd buy a Belkin if they had one).
My wife and I are very happy with this Belkin product(and the Belkin router).
How fast? Our desktop with the Belkin card now shares the internet wirelessly at the same speed (approximately 6000 kb/sec) as our *wired* computer. That's almost 3 times faster as our previous PCI card that was a traditional wireless-G (around 2000 kb/sec). That's also 3 times faster than running my notebook with a regular wireless-G card right next to our router. And network transfer times are similarly impressive.
Because we use WPA-AES, we use the Windows Zero Configuration Utility to manage the wireless adapter. We've had no problems with that configuration---neither the adapter nor the router has had any drops. We allow the router to choose the channels automatically, do not broadcast our SSID, and use MAC address filtering.
I highly recommend this card, especially pairing it with the Belkin Pre-N router. Note that this card is simply the Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA notebook card plugged into an adapter for the desktop. This means that you could actually pull it and use it on your notebook if you're travelling.
Also note what has been mentioned by others: in most circumstances, the card will be inserted face-side down (contrary to what the installation manual says). The best thing to do is look at the *photograph* of the card inserted into the adapter. In other words, observe in what direction you are inserting the PCI bus into the computer, and make sure that you insert the card to match the photograph.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this Pre-N Desktop Network Card several years ago and had no problems with it in conjunction with the Belkin pre-n router and then when this desktop PC was physically... Read morePublished on November 21, 2009 by KeepItSimple
EDIT: I now see why I could never get this to accept a WPA2 signal (WPA encryption is fine) despite the matching Belkin Pre-N router offering it. Read morePublished on December 23, 2008 by SuperCourier
Router has worked great for years until Vista where I've discovered the problem with uploading a large number of jpeg files to Kodak's ofoto. Read morePublished on May 5, 2008 by S. W. Young
3 months after returning this card and the manufacturer advising they would have Amazon update the site, I still don't see a warning that this is a card not compatible with Vista. Read morePublished on May 3, 2008 by mrmikey
I've had one of these Network Cards for about three years, paired with a Belkin pre-N router. It has been reliable and fast in my small home network. Read morePublished on April 29, 2008 by Pogo
Item failed to perform. No help from Belkin. Contacted Amazon about return and was informed I had to deal with Computer Brain who informed me I had to pay return freight plus 15%... Read morePublished on April 10, 2008 by Larry J. Robinson
Just Got the Pre-N Card and Router. It works great with all my XP computers but I have removable hard drives. One with XP and One with Vista. Read morePublished on January 30, 2008 by S. Diez
It isn't supposed to work with Vista - but it does for me. I've got 5 bars and the internet's quick. Read morePublished on January 26, 2008 by Amazon Customer
I can not believe that almost a year later and still no Vista support. On their support site it still just says Coming Soon! What a joke and a waste of time and money. Read morePublished on November 7, 2007 by S. Barker