Belkin is well known for the accessories they make for the Mac, the iPod and just general gadgets like USB hubs. I've been very impressed with every Belkin product I've ever owned. Except perhaps this one, the Belkin Washable Mouse.

How the Washable Mouse differs from most of the other mouses out there is that it can be, as the name implies, washed. And not just wiped off, but rinsed under running water. All mouses become dirty after a while, no matter how good your hygiene is. And you usually dig out some cleaner and a cloth to gently rub the gunk off. The Washable Mouse makes it so you can be more liberal with your cleaner and water if you choose. I just had to douse the mouse in water to see how it held up, and it worked just fine after wiping it down with a towel.

The mouse looks and feels like a traditional mouse except that the top part your hand sets on is sealed in a rubber-like coat. The Washable Mouse features two buttons (if you push them both you get a center-click, something I've never found a use for) and a unique Scroll Pad. The Scroll Pad has no moving parts and is touch sensitive. The Scroll Pad can also side scroll but the oblong shape of it, about the width of your finger, does not bode well for side scrolling.

The Washable Mouse tracks well, although I did have to turn my speed way down from my Mighty Mouse settings. That's mainly because Apple sets the Mighty Mouse at such slow speeds that I always have to crank tracking up one notch from the top speed. As for the Scroll Pad, it didn't seem to scroll very well vertically or horizontally. It was as if it wasn't sensing my fingers some of the time. I found it very frustrating to use.

I found the left and right click buttons to be placed in an uncomfortable position and they felt, well, just plain weird. The rubber coating over the buttons had a much different feel than a traditional mouse.

And the mouse is small. Really small. Granted, Belkin does list the Washable Mouse in their laptop accessories area so that probably explains the small size. That said, I found the mouse just uncomfortable in general.

If you need a mouse that you can clean when it gets funky, the Washable Mouse is definitely for you. You may not be happy with the size and certainly you won't be impressed with the Scroll Pad, but you'll have the cleanest mouse in the neighborhood.
on January 6, 2010
I bought this mouse on a whim, always looking for a better mouse for my desktop. Note I don't care for wireless because the batteries make the mouse too heavy.
Mouse history from start until now: Basic mouse; Optical mouse with wheel; Laser mouse with wheel. Laser mouse with silent mouse wheel, which is the Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000. Whee, no clicking, accelerated scrolling which goes farther as the wheel turns faster! But wait, darn it, the wheel isn't smooth anymore, either it's gummed up or worn out.
Finally there's this Belkin washable mouse with SCROLL PAD. At first I thought there was no way, it's too small with weird shape. However, I must say, after a few days I really like it. I rest my middle fingertip on the SCROLL PAD, moving up and down is easy, and silent. What's really cool is at the bottom of the scroll pad, you just touch it and the scrolling down is continuous. Same at the top of the scroll pad, touch and scroll up continuously. This is the part I like best. There are no directions with this mouse so you have to learn this yourself.
In mouse settings I had to slow down the mouse motion speed. Excellent accuracy. Installation is a simple plug it in and go. Can't comment on horizontal scrolling since I'm a XP user. Nothing to get gummed up because it's washable. 4/5 stars. If Belkin would put this scroll pad on another ergonomically improved mouse it could get 5/5.
on October 20, 2009
OK - this is a little premature, as I've only used it for one day, but I thought I'd pitch in my 2 pence. First of all mine was not DOA. Everything seems to work fine. Packaging is absurdly complex and excessive for such a small gadget, but there you are.

Plugged it into my iMac (OS 10.5.x) and it worked perfectly. Everything worked, in fact - including the "side scrolling" feature that we were warned would only work in Vista... the only thing that there is no way to map "center click" since the Mac sees it as a generic USB mouse. I suspect at 3rd party driver would fix that, but I never have felt a burning need for center click.

The tracking, as mentioned, is way too fast with default settings. I had to ramp it down to the lower end of the speed setting to avoid crashing from edge to edge of my 24" screen... but it's fine now.

I really like the scroll strip - it's much like the one on the Kensington studio mice (from a few years ago when Kensington actually made products you'd want to buy). It scrolls smoothly for me, but it could be that it's moisture sensitive like some trackpads and is fussier with others' fingers. The side scrolling is clearly an afterthought, given the width of the finger strip - but it works OK. It's no mighty mouse, but for $10 it's good value IMHO.

I like the chocolate brown, but many won't. It's your only color choice. The rubberized coating is one of those soft, velvet-touch sort of satin rubbers, and it does feel a little odd. It's not bad, just odd. The buttons under it are a little spongy because of the coating, but they work OK. I wouldn't call it precise and it wouldn't do for anyone trying to time their sniper fire or "click on the monkey" ;-)

The tracking seems fine, but claiming that it tracks on glass may be a bit rich. It works on my satin finish screen, paper, a plastic bag, my shorts and my mouse pad (crazy idea), but it didn't work on the glossy white iMac case... so glass seems unlikely.

I may buy more for a client of mine whose office gets through mice at a frightening rate. This one looks coffee resistant. I have not yet washed my mouse... not something I usually find that I need to do.
on October 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
Sleek design. Small (like notebook mouses). But fits under an average or medium sized mans hand very well. Click buttons are a little harder to operate (because of the silicon-like material covering them). But you may get used to after extended use. I really like the white scroll bar or scroll pad in between the right and left mouse buttons. Its very fun and easy to scroll the pages with it. You may even scroll horizontally by this touch pad (but its not as same easy level as the vertical scroll). USB connection is great and the jack is good quality. Cable is white and long enough. There ise a small blue led on the upper side of the scroll pad informs you that you rest your finger on the touch bar. Continious vertical scrolling is possible if you move your finger to the very upper and lower parts of the touchpad. Mouse sensivity is high. Not on the level of game mouses but its laser is faster than my Logitech Notebook mouse. It is sensitive to movements so you have to re-adjust the speed from the Control Panel of Windows. I have washed it twice. Dried it with a towel and used it after that. No problems. The biggest problem with the mouse is the silicone-like brown cover of the upper part. It scratches very very easily. Although its easy to remove the surface scratches but deeper ones remains. It is dirt cheap so it was no brainier for me. I recommend this mouse (not for photoshop or high sensivity works but for casual daily use).
on July 8, 2009
Verified Purchase
My mouse was DOA. Something must be wrong on the board, because even though the optical light comes on and the computer recognizes it as a mouse input, the cursor never moves and no clicks or scrolls register. I tried it on an XP machine as well as my Mac. Belkin support also could not get it to work.

Belkin said the model is discontinued and could not replace it with a new one. They are supposedly going to offer me a credit in their online store, but there is nothing there I am interested in. I had already discarded the packaging by the time I realized the thing was toast, so returning it to Amazon was not an option.

This is the first time I have ever had a piece of basic electronics be totally non-functional out of the plastic.
on September 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
Belkin has been known to make good quality products for a long time running now, and so far I've never been disappointed by one of them, until now.

You could blame the fact that it's an online purchase and one can't hold the product as the chef reason. But it goes beyond it's small kid'ish size. It goes the core of the point of the product, to make a water proof mouse. The first snag in design is touch wheel, which isn't as responsive or usable [given the products small shape]. And then the fact that the left and right click are normal buttons under the brown, water proof layer, which leaves a unsatisfying tactile feel when pressed.

It's cheap, small, and very portable. I was planning on using this for my desktop, I don't think it's fit for gaming at all, so doubt that will pan out.
on November 24, 2010
Verified Purchase
The mouse looks good, the scrollpad on top is smooth, and on long press does a quick scroll. It is also reasonably precise.

The only problem is that the surface gets dirty very quickly.
on January 23, 2010
It's a computer optical mouse that can be washed. There's no seams at the top so you can spill anything solid or liquid onto it and it won't ruin the functionality. USB plug can't be washed but that's a given. The scroll bar will take some getting used to. Since it's a touch bar, you need to train yourself to use the tip of your finger only to touch the bar rather than the bottom of your finger as I'm sure lots of us do when scrolling the wheel. Also the mouse uses a soft rubber like material to cover the buttons and a lot of people will be put off by its feel compared to regular mouse buttons. Due to the above 2 issues, my brother completely couldn't get the hang of it however his toddler son had no difficulties at all using the mouse. If you've tried it, you can likely tell why it didn't sell very well but it's just a matter of getting used to it. I would suggest this mouse as an emergency mouse or spare mouse for when kids come over and you don't want them to ruin your expensive high-end mouse.
on April 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
The size was slightly too small for my hand and the click response was not normal compared to other mice that I've used. The price was good, but I wouldn't buy this model again.
on August 29, 2010
Verified Purchase
Works fine. The feel takes a little while to get used to, as there is not an actual scroll wheel and separate buttons. It is all one piece.

I bought 12 for a school as the mice get really dirty. Time will tell if they hold up under lots of use, including multiple washings.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations