on October 15, 2007
An RF modulator lets you connect various inputs to feed into the coaxial cable or antenna input on a television. It's the solution to the problem of having a TV that doesn't have inputs for what you want to connect, or doesn't have enough inputs. So, if you have a video input cable from a DVD or a camcorder, but only an antenna connection on the TV - an RF modulator lets you feed the video to the TV.

Feeding video over this kind of cable isn't going to give you the best video quality, but it should be acceptable. (To get the best quality, you need a better input - s-video, component or HDMI - and probably a newer TV!) I didn't notice any particular issues with the video quality, it seemed OK to me.

The back of the Belkin RF modulator has:
- a number of inputs: s-video; RCA jacks for video and audio (left and right); and a coaxial cable for a TV antenna or cable source
- a switch to set the output to channel 3 or channel 4
- a coaxial cable output to go to the TV
- an ohms switch for 75 or 1K
- a jack for 9V DC input, for the included AC/DC adapter

Not included is any cables at all, not even a short cable to run from the RF modulator to the TV. That can be inconvenient if you're setting this up, so plan ahead. monoprice.com and partsexpress.com are good cable sources.

The box is about 6" long by 3.5" deep (plus you'll need room at the back for the cables you're plugging in) by 1" wide (wider if you use the stand). So it's not tiny, but it's about as small as it can be and still offer all those input jacks.

Audio is output only in mono, even with a stereo source.

You can leave various inputs connected. But you'll probably have to or want to turn off the video feed when you're using the TV antenna, as it may lower the signal quality (or completely overpower it) coming from the antenna.

By the way, if you're wondering why a simpler adapter won't do the job ... the video input (from a DVD player, for example) isn't tuned to a TV channel. The RF modulator tunes it (to channel 3 or 4, in this case) so your TV can pick it up properly.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 5, 2007
It works great. I use this to output video from my computer to my TV. It takes my s-video and my red/white audio cables, and combines it all into a coaxial cable. This way I can use the pre-existing wiring in the house to run the signal from the computer to the TV. I have no complaints about the picture quality and it is easy to use. I like that I have the option of using an s-video cable or a regular component cable.
on July 20, 2009
I ordered my Belkin RF Modulator on 07-16 and recievd it on 07-20-2009. Quick and accurate delivery, as have been all of my prior orders from Amazon.
I installed the unit tonight, following the very easy directions. It works fine. It's connecting a Dish Network receiver to an old TV which only has a coax input. The Dish Network receiver has RCA red/white/yellow output, but no Coax output.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2010
[...]Works perfectly with no noise, buzz or video distortion that is noticeable. (I do not have HD and for an old tube tv, the picture is as good as could ever be expected).

I have and use (used) the RCA and the Phillips (the silver). If you are not sure, of the three, this one is clearly the best.

The RCA has been and was until it broke, always temperamental and had noise and video distortion problems from the day I bought it to the day it just broke/burned itself out.

If you just look at the picture of the RCA RF Modulator you can see that it is the only one with a configuration with inputs and outputs coming in then out from two sides. It was illogical and constantly annoying to make sure I could see and make sure which was the coaxial in and which was the coaxial out.

This Belkin is plain, basic, clearly labeled and worked right out of the box flawlessly.

FINALLY - THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE THAT MAY MATTER TO ANYONE UNSURE - This Belkin model can be set up vertically (as the picture shows) but the rim around the bottom of the picture slides on and of so you can use it as a horizontal box.

You have the option to choose to use the base and have a thin profile vertical modulator which I can see could be very desirable, especially in keeping the video wires from crossing/touching the power line and causing static noise/video problems.
on August 28, 2010
I needed an RF Modulator to throw my Directv receiver selected channel out to another room and the new Directv HD receivers do not have an RF out anymore, only composite, component, s-video, and HDMI. When I wired my home, I installed a return RG-6 cable from each room planned for a receiver, to the main central cable control box. That way I can route the signal leaving the receiver to any room I wired a cable from, to the main box. I have done this with all three of my Directv receiver signals, out to three different areas, including one out to my shop 150' away.

I have used three different brand RF Modulators, and this Belkin model was the least expensive, yet has delivered as good an audio/video output as any. I can recommend this item highly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2010
I purchased this just before having DTV installed. There new receivers have no
RF output provided anymore. I use this to supply the rest of my home with the
DTV signal. This modulator drives three additional TV's and not one problem with
it's quality.
on June 16, 2010
I had been using an old video recorder as a pass-thru for my DVD player in my motorhome to get a picture on my old CRT TV set. The VCR took up a lot of space and then finally began to distort the picture. The VCR was being used only for it's tuner. So I needed a replacement for the tuner and the Belkin RF modulator was suggested to me. I figured for 12 bucks I could afford to gamble.
No gamble...the little box worked perfectly and was insetalled in five minutes. Not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes it takes up very little space and aa little Velcro stuck it down so it didn't slide around when the RV was in motion. The box is very light as well as small. Only drawback for my situation is the on/off switch is on the back and is awkward to reach but for conventince for the DVD player as well as the RF modulator I put them and the TV on a switched outlet strip.
This is a simple little box that takes the place of a tuner and is great for situations such as mine where I had no inputs to the TV other than the antenna.
I would rate this perfect for it's intended use.
on May 13, 2011
I also experienced the static issues that others described. The static made it totally unusable. The source of the static was poorly shielded video cables. This allowed the video to be coupled into the audio inputs. I replaced the cheap cable with a good quality shielded video cable AND make sure the video impedance switch is set to 75 Ohms not 1K Ohms, this loads the shielded (coaxial) cable better. The end result is a very good product that works as advertised!

Belkin RF Modulator ( F8V3063 )
on December 26, 2010
=PROS=
-Successfully gets my new console to play on my old television.
-Nice design, it's not a big, ugly box that takes up a lot of space around where my game consoles are.

=CONS=
-Sometimes picture is slightly distorted. The picture can be "wavy" in areas, it doesn't really bother me, but it could be bothersome for others. It's not like that all the time though, just after cut scenes or maybe a dark loading screen in games.
-Audio can become fuzzy at around the same times as mentioned before or when something in the game/video makes a "loud noise." Again, this doesn't really bother me most of the time.
-You will have to have your own coaxial cable to connect the modulator to the TV, there isn't any cables included, other than a power cable. This isn't really a con, just inconvenience if you didn't know.

=DETAILS=
-My sister got this for me for Christmas so I could hook up my new Wii to my old TV.
-I'm quite pleased with this product, since I didn't want to have to hook my Wii up to the family television and only get to play it when no one's watching anything. Sometimes the picture and audio thing can be annoying, but it's better than not being able to play at all.
-The video and audio thing could just be due to my own error because I have 2 older game consoles hooked up to the tv already through the console's coaxial adapters and then plugged the modulator in through an older console's adapter. The video signals might just be going through too many things to get back to the TV, which could mess with the quality. I'll try getting a coaxial splitter to make a direct connection between the TV and modulator and let you know how that turns out and edit my review accordingly.
on March 8, 2009
Belkin RF Modulator is really good. Does not take more than 5 mins in installation. Its so easy and fast and looks good too. There are no cables supplied with this product, so make sure you have a pair of cables, usually the digital cable provider would have given you the pair of cables so you may use that. Previous reviews have said there is a little noise coming out of this product when its on/working. I never heard of any.

The product arrived on time.