4.0 out of 5 stars Great depending on some things
Published on July 10, 2011 by Tori

The Belkin Tunecast Auto Live is different from other FM Transmitters on the market because, through a special iPhone app, it can use GPS to determine the best frequency for you to use. After testing this transmitter with the app on my iPhone 3GS, I have the following opinions:
Published on January 31, 2010 by D. Bezboruah

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak transmitter compared to Griffin iTrip, the iPhone app adds no value, January 31, 2010
D. Bezboruah (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin F8Z498 Tunecast Auto Live FM Transmitter and Charger for iPod/iPhone (Electronics)
-You can only use the GPS function when the App is open, which means you can't run other apps when using the Belkin app. So if you're listening to Pandora when you suddenly need to change the frequency, you'll have to close Pandora in order to open the Belkin app. (EDIT: Apple's iOS 4 now allows for multi-tasking, so this particular point of mine is no longer valid, although you still have to go through the hassle of changing apps to change a frequency)
-The GPS function is useless. It kept telling me to use a particular frequency which did not work well. I could press the button on the iPhone app to cycle through frequencies, but the same useless frequencies would keep repeating.
-The Clearscan function (the button on the transmitter itself) is also useless, for pretty much the same reasons as above.
-Try to use the app to change the frequency of the Belkin transmitter while in rush-hour traffic. Yup, another driving distraction. (Memo to Belkin's lawyers: sooner or later, you'll need a warning in the manual along the lines of "do not use the app while driving")
-If I listened to Heavy Metal or loud Hip-Hop music, I might be ok with the sound quality from this transmitter. But since I listen to softer music, I find the constant background hissing and static to be very very annoying.
-I do LIKE the display though, the amber color is very pleasing and is easily visible both day and night. (hey, I'm trying hard to find some positives too!)

Overall, I don't recommend this transmitter. In fact, I've gone through many of the different transmitters from the different brands and the only one that worked perfectly and which I recommend is Griffin's iTrip. The reason is that the Griffins all have a hidden feature called "International" mode which allow the use of the 87.7 and 87.9 frequencies, as they are open frequencies in the United States (meaning there isn't a single U.S. radio station on those frequencies). But only the Griffins can use those frequencies, all other transmitters (including this very Belkin model) can go as low as 88.1 only. The Griffins also have a feature to boost transmitting power by setting the output to Mono, rather than the default Stereo which seems to produce a weaker signal. For more details on these functions, see the reviews for the Griffin iTrip products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great depending on some things, July 10, 2011
I just want to say that the success of this product for you depends on a few things. The transmitter may not work for everyone, but I can say that this thing works pretty awesome for me. I had an earlier version of this which gave me an awful experience, so I returned it. A few months ago I bought this version and my experience was the total opposite. Here are the reasons that why this product may or may not work for you:

Location/Station:
I live in Atlanta and am constantly driving all over. Once you get into the city, static tends to get louder. But if you can find the perfect station and use that with one of the pro buttons on the transmitter, it works. 88.9 is my main station and I use the Pro 2 setting. Sometimes I have to change the station to 88.7, but I rarely have to.

IPod settings:
Being that your music is coming from the radio, I think it's imperative that one of the equalizer presets on the ipod be used. This makes a huge difference rather than just leaving the setting off. I put mine on treble booster. I would also recommend a sound enhancing app. I will be trying this one day on my Itouch.

Car settings:
Knowing how differently the radio sounds from the stereo, I messed with the equalizer settings in my car. I basically just brought some of the highs up and increased the bass. I would recommend experimenting with your car's settings to get a better sound.

Your car:
One thing I noticed is that the kind of car you drive can also affect all of these suggestions I just gave. I don't know much about cars, but what I do know is that this transmitter works flawlessly in my Hyundai Sonata. I've tried it in my sister's Mercury Sabel, and my dad's Dodge Ram. Both sound horrible no matter what settings I used. But whatever the reason being, the transmitter works great in my car.

These are the things that I did that made this product worth buying for me. It's not perfect, but it's the best available.

4.0 out of 5 stars gen 5 ipod transmitter, December 13, 2010
this item is the best of the worse. Overall it's ok. You have to constantly change stations between 88.1 and 88.3 (well i do) but once your use to doing that it works well, the clarity is great as long as the channel comes in. For the car and newer ipods it's hard to find a good transmitter. I tried several before getting this. It was 40 and best buy sells it for almost 80.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works good only when it works!, April 12, 2012
I've tried many different FM transmitters and this one is impressive but yet very frustrating! If the power stays on, the unit works very well and the sounds transmit through the radio very well. Unfortunately this is not always the case. It seems like the power plug is made smaller than standard ones so it doesn't properly fit the cigarette lighter socket. It constantly looses power. You have to fiddle with the plug in order to keep the unit on. I've tried this unit in different american and japanese cars but to no avail.

Second, the connector to the Ipod / Iphone does not lock. It falls off easily just to add to your frustrations!

If Belkin would fix these two issues, I believe this would be very nice to have around.

I do not recommend this Tunecast for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Tunecast Improved, May 27, 2011
I bought an earlier version of this product a few years ago and it never seemed to work that well. I bought a new one, and downloaded the CS Live app on my iPhone to locate the best stations to tie in to. It now works very well and the sound generally comes through strong and clear whether I'm playing music or a podcast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay. Far. Away!, October 17, 2010
I bought this right after Christmas and have been using it for nearly a year. Since then, I've been struggling to not toss it out the window after perpetually losing signals every few minutes. If you're into living dangerously and don't feel like watching the road, then by all means, try your hand at this baby. If you'd like to stay focused on the road and listen to something other than static(with the volume jacked up to hear a whisper), then do yourself a favor and just stay away from this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Day, May 29, 2014
Gerald Harris (Sterling, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
I use this every day. It's easy to set up. can switch from car to car without a hassle. It has some great added tuning abilities when the signal needs a boost. Changing the frequency to be used is a snap and can be accomplished in less than 30 seconds. The sound quality is great and price was perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, I'm not singing this one any praises., February 10, 2014
Trying to save money in order to listen to our iPods in a vehicle with no connection/input for auxiliary devices. It fades in and out, doesn't provide a great output. Not worth the wasted money in my opinion. Buy a new stereo instead. You'll be happier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh, September 24, 2013
When it does auto find a station that works it's good. But the cord will cut the sound sometimes if it gets into certain positions

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great For Me, August 17, 2013
I have a Volvo XC90 without an auxiliary hook-up. I've tried every transmitter to listen to an Ipod on long trips and they all have pretty much sucked. I read the negative reviews about this device, but recently found a cheap enough price for this device on EBay that I figured it was worth a shot. Drove from Denver to central Illinois yesterday and was very impressed by this product. Every time I would start to hear any static, I would just hit the button on the device and it would find me a new station that worked like a charm. So easy. I'm curious to see how it works as I pass through the more urban Chicago area today, but am not as concerned as urban areas at least provide enough quality radio stations to listen to if the device doesn't work. Long story short, I highly recommend this device for a long trip.

Rate and Discover Movies