5,138
Belkin 6-Outlet Wall Mount Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (1 AMP / 5 Watt)
Size: 6 OutletStyle: 1 AMPPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$18.89 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 24, 2012
I would agree with most people who are reviewing this product at Amazon or anywhere else, that 500mA is quite low for today's standards. However, whether 500mA is low or not, this is something the consumer should consider before a purchase of such a product.

Being like everyone else, of course I have an iPad. I have not even tried plugging in my iPad to this charger because I know FOR SURE it doesn't provide enough current to charge it. However, I did search high and low for a charger that provides 500mA, since the actual purpose was to charge my old Motorola S9 headphones. I had since lost the charger that came with it and the S9 only charges with a 500mA source.

I have LOTS of USB chargers, ranging from 750mA to 1.5A, and none of them charged my S9 until I got the Belkin. There is nothing else to say about the 120V outlets. They are what they are.

In regards to the "Mini", it is quite BIG to be called a "Mini", I do agree. Probably Belkin could have moved the USB ports to the face of the product instead of the side to make it thinner. It would be a little longer, but that wouldn't be too bad. Or like another reviewer said, remove one AC port and replace it with the USB. Really... the cables in your house can only carry 15A of current. How many things are people going to plug in? This product is handy for the traveler who doesn't want to carry multiple USB adapters (then the 500mA issues come into play), but when traveling, 500mA is better than nothing.
on November 6, 2013
When my Samsung Galaxy 3 and Samsung Galaxy Tab are both plugged into the USB ports, the phone stops/starts charging repeatedly. It doesn't seem to be able to charge both items at once, which is the main reason i purchased this item.
on March 29, 2012
The two USB ports do not provide enough power to charge a cell phone, or an iPad. So, what is the purpose of these two ports? I cannot think of any... I missed the product return window, so the mini-belkin goes directly to recycling.
on June 13, 2008
I love not having to carry the wall-worts on the road with me. I replaced my mini power strip with this device. I also don't have to be running my laptop to charge my TREO and iTouch and having it hibernate and not be charging.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 28, 2011
I was skeptical of this product. I have purchased other such USB chargers in the past and they have not charged my Iphone, Ipod or Touch. I decided to give this one a try because of the great reviews and the reasonable price. I also liked how it wasn't just a USB charger but also a surge protector.

This product works great! It has 3 AC outlets and 2 powered USB ports. I really like that all ports are surge protected. To me this was a bonus! I also really like that there is not just one but two USB ports so that I can charge more than one device at the same time.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that it is a little bulky if you will be plugging it in behind a piece of furniture (like a night stand or desk). I purchased one for my daughter's room and I had to pull her night stand out quite a bit from the wall in order for it to fit into the wall outlet and allow enough room to plug the cords into the surge protector. However, it is small enough to toss into a laptop bag.

Overall: I would recommend this product. The price is reasonable and it acutally works. Classifying it as "mini" can be debated.

(The reviewer was compensated for posting this review. However, the opinion stated in the review is that of the reviewer and the reviewer alone. Further, the reviewer independently selected this product to review and has no affiliation with the product maker/distributor, Amazon or the review requester.)
on July 18, 2012
I purchased this surge protector in preparation for an international vacation. I knew I would need to charge USB devices as well as standard Amercan plug devices. I plugged the surge protector into a US-to-UK power converter in my hotel room in London and in Dublin. Both of our hotel rooms ended up having only one available outlet, so having one adapter/surge protector was perfect. The rotating plug (which I originally thought was silly) was essential to getting the surge protector to fit in the two hotel room outlets.
Overseas, we used the surge protector to power my iPod dock/Alarm clock, my husband's electric razor, and to recharge iPods and Duracell PPS3US0001 Powerhouse Chargers (also purchased on Amazon). The little green light let us know that the connection was good and that we had power--which is something I was worried about, since I was daisy-chaining so many devices (iPod to dock to surge protector to adapter to outlet).
Since we got back to the US, I plugged the surge protector into an outlet in my living room. I use it to power my laptop, cell phone charger, and I keep one of the Duracell chargers plugged it to grab when needed.
I am very satisfied with this purchase and would happily recommend this surge protector to anyone who needs something to power/recharge USB devices.
Also, this surge protector was cheaper and more versitle than any options I found at my local electronics store.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2011
The swiveling feature of the electrical prongs is greatly appreciated. When used vertically you have 4 outlets, and a place to charge your phone. This personally gives me an additional 3 outlets to use. This is absolutely perfect for the cramped living conditions most American College students face. Ideally, used by a desk, you will have sufficient outlets to plug in your laptop, desk lamp, phone, and still have 3 remanning plugs (including the unprotected plug).

I know some users are disappointed in the functionality of the USB ports. I have found no problems charging both my iPhone and Digital Camera at the same time. It may have taken a bit longer, but I personally charge my products while I sleep. This Surge protector is excellently designed for maximizing space. I can comfort you that my iPhone charges at unnoticeably similar rates while using this products USB ports exclusively for iPhone.

Please, keep in mind that I paid 10 dollars for my Belkin mini-surge protector. The clean compact surge protector far exceeded my hopes at finding an affordable and attractive solution to a lack of outlets. the value of this device is phenomenal. Unlike other cheap surge protectors, this does not look unsightly, you do not need to hide it (often times in tiny apartments and dorm rooms you cannot hide those honkers!) The included USB cable provides even more value to this perfect surge protector.
on August 15, 2009
I like this surge protector. I always bring it when I travel. There are a few small issues I have with it:

#1 The plug prongs do not fold it for travel.
Not a big deal. It does come with a plug protector that you use to hold when you hit the button to rotate the plug. It turns all the way around.

#2 It could be a little smaller.
It is really wide. It's about as wide as two single row surge protectors.

#3 the plug is located to the far left (or right -- I don't remember exactly) so plugging something onto the far right moves the whole unit so you have to be careful. The plug cover (that thing used for turning the plug) has a lip to be placed on the opposite side to "balance" the unit, but it does not make it flush with the wall as it was intended.

The "issues" are small and do not stop the product from working. I recently went on a trip and plugged my phone and iPod in the USB ports, and my computer, camera charger, and the hotel lamp in the outlets. I didn't unplug the alarm clock as it was already set, but all my electronics were protected. This product could easily be used at a home office or near a nightstand as a charging station. I would recommend unplugging surge proctors that do not have on/off switches because they use electricity even when nothing is plugged in (when you see that little light, you'll know it's on).
on November 25, 2014
This is a nice surge protector for when you have a couple phones and a couple computers to protect while you travel. It also works well as a home charger for your phones.

However, there is a max current draw on the device which prevents iPads from charging quickly with these USB ports. I also notice that if I plug in 2 iphone 5s, and if 2 of the plugs are in use, the device tends to buzz. You can unplug any of the devices to stop the buzzing. I assume this means the wattage is being exceeded, but it seems like an awfully low current draw to cause such a problem. When I add up the device wattage that will cause this problem, it is below the devices specifications.

Even with the buzzing, this is still an decent device for travel.

To solve the USB charging issue at home we've purchased a Bolse® 60W / 12-Amp 7-Port Fast Charging USB Wall / Desktop Charging Station With SmartICᵀᴹ Technology - Full Speed Charging for iPhone 5, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Touch Screen Tablet, Cell Phone, MP3 Player, (AC 110-220V International), Deta..., which I highly recommend.

Note: the 3 prong protector plastic can be inserted into the small groove on the opposite end of the device. This helps you hold onto it while it's plugged in, then you can use it when you travel. Be sure not to throw out the protector when you receive this.
on January 11, 2011
Great design and swivel to position how you want it, and nice usb charging ports, the only thing that would make it better would be an on/off switch to be able to switch the power bar off without unplugging it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations