2,136 Reviews

1,195 of 1,284 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Some Disassembly Required
THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO F8Z492 A2DP RECEIVER, NOT BELKIN'S NEW HD BT RECEIVER.

This device has great audio quality and terrible range (not what is claimed), but if you've already bought it you're in luck! There is a quick modification that can restore this device to the advertised range.

Modification Instructions (you'll need a small flat head...
Published on April 21, 2011 by W. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Low range
The specifications of this device say that you can get up to 33 feet of range with this adapter. However, I found that realistically I can only get around 20 feet before I lose connectivity with my Samsung Galaxy cell phone. If I block the line of sight then it gets even worse.
Published 15 months ago by Ed Burns

1,195 of 1,284 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Some Disassembly Required, April 21, 2011
W. Moore (Huntsville, AL USA) - See all my reviews

Modification Instructions (you'll need a small flat head screwdriver and a hot glue gun):
Pop the top off of it with the screwdriver starting at the ports.
Pull out the circuit board and you'll see a large piece of metal. This metal is entirely unnecessary and serves only to satisfy customers who innately feel that heavier is more valuable.
The piece of metal is held in place with double sided tape, so just pop it out.
Put the circuit board back in place (it should sort of snap in).
Put hot glue around the edge of the enclosure and put the top back in place.
Now this device conforms to all the specifications that Belkin specifies.

I hope this helps everyone out! Belkin's support department has chosen to ignore my inquiries.

3.0 out of 5 stars Low range, October 18, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Impeccable sound quality but audio cuts out a lot (Android), non-existent customer service, March 13, 2013
This review is from: Belkin SongStream Bluetooth HD Music Receiver (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've enjoyed most Belkin products I've purchased thus far. Overall, I'm relatively pleased with this device, minus the constant cutting out when I'm more than 10 feet away from it. I'll get to that in a second.

The device is tiny, which is nice. It comes with an AC adapter, RCA cables and a coax cable. There is an optical output on the back, but strangely it does not come with an optical cable included. No worries - coax is said to be better for music than optical anyway. So I just connected this directly into my Harman Kardon receiver and away I went.

It was super easy to connect to - just click, and connect. No passwords, no nonsense.

The sound quality is unbelievable! It literally sounded clearer than a direct connection using a 3.5 mm aux input. By far, this produces the best sound quality of any BT device I've used.

Sadly, that's where the positives end. I've read a few reviews saying this BT receiver cut out a lot for some people. I'm in that group, unfortunately. Unless my phone is less than 10 feet away from the device, the audio cuts out constantly. It is super annoying and makes it impossible to listen to music when you hear every 4th word.

In essence, my phone has to be within a cord's length of my receiver in order to enjoy it, which defeats the benefits of bluetooth. This is supposed to be a convenient device, but the constant cutting out made it not so. It's too bad, really, because the audio is fantastic.

The only thing I can think of is potentially some interference from other electrical devices? I have it sitting on top of my DirecTV DVR and next to my HK receiver, which is housed on top of my Roku and PS3. But to be honest, most people have multiple devices in their households, so if that's the reason for the interference, then that's unacceptable.

I have emailed Belkin about my issue and am currently awaiting a response. I will post an update (if any) as I get them.

**Update** 3/19/13
I have yet to receive a response to my email to Belkin customer support. That is extremely disappointing. I'm dropping it down to 2 stars for this reason.

**Update** 4/16/13
I've emailed Belkin twice to have them address the issue of this unit cutting out, and they have ignored all my emails. This thing still cuts out, even if my phone is literally sitting 3 feet away from the adapter. Such a shame, as the sound quality is superb. But what a pain to have this thing cut in and out all the time.

**Update** 5/30/13
I've now emailed them a total of THREE times, and have NOT received a response. So much for Belkin customer service. This is the last Belkin product I will own.

3.0 out of 5 stars great HD receiver. One big flaw - in my opinion, January 3, 2014
Phaduman "Phal" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Belkin should have put the "HD" bluetooth receiver separate from the non-HD version as there are likely major differences between the two and customers would like to review them separately and not combine the ratings. Anyways...

My observations:
I think Belkin designed this HD receiver so people can connect to higher-end receivers, or powered speakers of higher quality, should be able to listen at higher volumes (where lower quality audio streaming can be easily exposed). Things they have taken good care of:
* when a device pairs (or unpairs) with the receiver (either 1st time, or subsequent times), there is no sound that is sent to the speakers. Just the LED lights up. Thank you belkin. If the speakers are at high volume, this could be very annoying or worse. But the electronics inside this receiver suppress those unnecessary sounds.
* There is barely any audible hiss or otherwise white-noise generated by the device itself - again great job by Belkin putting in some higher quality electronics inside the receiver
* the range is fantastic. Easy 30ft range even when not in line of sight. Great design of the antenna inside the receiver. The range improves further if you alight it a little bit (assume the antennas are designed around the device, it would be better if you happen to tilt it toward the area where the phones/devices would most likely be placed).
* Even with the analog audio out (stereo 3.5mm out), the quality of audio is very high. I have the Belkin plugged into my Yamaha HS7 studio monitors which can reproduce sound very accurately - and I have tried direct plug into my devices (both ipads & android phone) and connected via belkin bluetooth HD, and the sound quality even at high levels isn't distinguishable. The bass, the mid and the highs are pretty well reproduced. So I think the aptx codec (I hope - I don't see the specs mention it anywhere) is used regardless which audio-out is plugged into (optical, coax or stereo-analog).

Here is the only issue I have with this device, and I consider it a big one for my needs:
* Belkin HD stays connected to the last device unless that device goes out of range/out of power etc. This may not be a problem if I only use one device to connect to it. But, idea is that I can use my iPad, wife can use her iphone or I can connect with my android anytime I like. Only problem is, I cannot connect to it because it's LED is ON (i.e., it is connected to the last device...) and I don't know which device that is. Due to its good range, even if the iPad moved from one room to another, it stays connected and I have to find the iPad to disconnect from there (going to setting etc.) before I can play from my phone. This doesn't pass the wife-test either. If she cannot connect when she wants to, she will not use it. The other way to make it would is to remove power from the Belkin and plug it back on - this is disruptive and could cause electrical noise passing to speakers and causing some serious damage (so that means power off the audio receiver/speaker, then power off the belkin, then power belkin back on and then power on the audio receiver/speaker). All of these make it unacceptable to use.

Something for Belkin product designers:
* introduce an automatic timeout - if no sound is received from a source device for sometime (may be 1hr, may be 2), auto-disconnect from the device
* introduce a single "disconnect" button on the device. This is better than powering off a whole bunch of devices or going to multi-levels within a source device to disconnect/turn-off the bluetooth...

For this specific reason, I may return this nice receiver - hoping they would fix this in an upcoming h/w refresh...This product has been out for a year now? I am hoping an update is due now. And also Belkin, please publish some technical details: what bluetooth version is supported (4.0?), aptx?, is aptx supported on all audio output connections...etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Audio Quality, April 21, 2012
This Belkin Bluetooth receiver degrades the quality of the audio playback to completely unacceptable levels.

I recently purchased 3 different models of bluetooth for a project involving recording the audio off a mobile device using bluetooth audio output.

I ran each devices audio through a high quality set of reference speakers: Tannoy 8" and a KRK Active Sub.

As a test I go and forth between playing music out of the mobile device using a standard 1/8" audio cable, and then switching over to the Belkin Bluetooth device.

I was shocked at how terrible the audio sounded via the Belkin Bluetooth device. It completely degraded the quality of the audio output in the following ways:

- the low-end was all missing, the sub hardly output anything
- the sound sound tinty and mushed, like you compressed your MP3 file down to 64kpbs.
- the sound also had an echo to it, like listening to it in a large room.

I suggest the Logitech Bluetooth receiver(model 980-000540) over this device by a strong margin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Terrible Range, February 10, 2011
I've read a number of reviews that have stated this receiver produced poor sound quality. Let's clear that up right now: This little guy sounds great! The fidelity is more than acceptable for 98% of people who will use it. I have a couple of friends who are audiophiles that griped a little bit but said they would have no problem listening to music through this on a regular basis. But my speaker system cost me about $1000 though and theirs cost about $6-10,000. If you're more like me then you'll like the quality of this device. If you're more like them, go for the Sonos and drop the extra cash. But generally speaking, trust me, this sound quality is great!

HOWEVER!!! I mainly purchased this so I could stream music from my Nexus One (Android phone) through my speakers in the living room while I was in the kitchen cooking (where I spend most of my time). I do not live in a big house and there is line of sight between the stove and the TV - probably a 20 foot distance. At that distance this thing will drop in and out a lot!!! Someone doesn't even need to block the line of sight, they just need to be near the device and it somehow interferes with the music. When I move it even close (say, 10 feet?) still if someone comes between my phone and the receiver it will drop the music. The best luck I've had so far is to leave my phone in a corner where I know no one will walk between the two. But that defeats the whole purpose of why I bought this. I'm going to experiment a bit and see if I can find a more suitable placement to get better results and I'll let everyone know if I find any worth sharing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The product listing "misrepresents" the product! (otherwise it works well), December 27, 2011
Length:: 0:18 Mins

Two of the images show the device with the power light on and a third with the device in use. All three show just the audio cable, connected to the center of the device. First of all you need two cables to use this device, an audio cable to connect this receiver to your sound system and a power cable since there is no battery. Second of all, they connect left and right of center.

What someone (at Belkin?) has done is Photoshop the images to make the connectivity much neater than it is and possibly even imply that all you need is an audio cable because the device has an internal, reachable battery. In fairness, the ad never mentions that and it was the conclusion I reached from looking at the images and reacting quickly to a Gold Box offer.

Please note, this is not entirely Belkin's fault. They did not specifically say the device had an internal battery. However, the images they provided at least suggested it and definitely were not of the product being sold. Please take a look at the attached video to see what you are actually getting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good; Some Meh., April 3, 2013
All in all a decent BT Music Receiver, though I do not think it is superior to other similar (and cheaper) devices.

The Good:
It works. If the music is playing in High Quality on your device, it will be high quality coming through your speakers. There is zero lag in the transmission. I watch Netflix using this device to send sound to my stereo and the words always match the lip movements. It's pretty remarkable how well it syncs compared to devices I've tried in the past (like the Blackberry BT gateway).

The Bad:
2 things frustrate me about this receiver but I am not sure either of them are its fault. These could be problems with Windows 8 (Windows 8 with problems? I know, shocker!) but the volume will not go very high no matter what I do with the volume or settings on my laptop. It's fine for just me and if I am in the same room, but it does not get to even half the volume of plugging my speakers directly to the laptop. The other things is it says it stores up to 8 profiles, but it is a nightmare to have more than one device within range of the BT Receiver--they essentially cancel each other out and confuse the heck out of it. So if you are using it exclusively with one device (which I am), it's fine.

The Ugly:
The NFC connection is dumb. First, it is useless with any Samsung device. You must download the Belkin NFC app and launch it every time you wan to connect. The NFC already on-board my Note 2 won't work with it. (I've checked the discussion boards; this appears to be a Samsung thing, not a Belkin thing). Also, you can only use one or the other, bluetooth or NFC. Ideally, I would have liked to have my phone paired with the device via NFC and my laptop via Bluetooth so the thing wouldn't freak out whenever I try to switch from one device to the other, but no dice.

Final Word:
It's a good device. It does work. The instructions and support on the website are about the worst I have ever seen. You might have technical issues with Windows 8 and Samsung devices that can not be solved. All in all, I would say, go a little cheaper. The "HD" is a nice title, but I have noticed no difference between this and other devices I have tried as far as sound quality goes.

One last note:
I got this initially because I kept experiencing "choppy" sound with my other BT Receivers. I thought they were just cheap and old and needed to be replaced. I tried 3 different receivers/gateways and the issue kept happening. It turns out, it was never the Bluetooth Receivers; it was Google Play Music. The same issue occurs with this device. If I play Slacker, Netflix, YouTube, etc... it sounds flawless, but something about the way Google Play streams their music (lower quality maybe?) causes the choppy sound. If you are having the same issue, try to pinpoint the issue before swapping your device!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Mod for USB Power, December 10, 2012
D. Pritchard (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this bluetooth receiver to adapt for use in a 2008 Infiniti G35, which has auxiliary audio/video inputs in the console armrest, along with wiring for an Apple Ipod. Being that I don't have an Ipod but do have a Samsung android smartphone with bluetooth, I thought this receiver would meet my needs, and it has, even more so now that I've learned of another tool to assist me. More on that later. First, I needed to modify the receiver so as to avoid the bulk of a power adapter. For the 12v auxiliary power connector in the console armrest, I plugged in a Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro, one port for this receiver and the other to power my phone. Now, I just needed to modify the receiver to take power from the USB port which easily met the receiver power port's 5-volt 180ma specification.

Modification of the Belkin receiver amounted to first opening the case, using a screwdriver or knife to pry off the top by carefully working around the top from the back (port) side of the case. Next, the circuit board was easily popped out so that the metal disk could be removed and discarded. While the circuit board is out of the case, a hole can be made in the side of the case nearest the power port, through which the USB cable will be fed. The hole is easily made with a hot soldering iron tip, or drill and should be kept small enough to be a tight fit, helping to keep the cable from being easily pulled out of the receiver.

After cutting a standard USB cable to about 4 inches in length, the cut end was prepped by stripping the insulation as needed to expose the red and black wires, then tinning those wires to aid soldering them to the circuit board. The USB cable can then be fed through the hole made in the case. Before soldering the cable to the circuit board, adding a very short length of heat-shrink tubing to the cable end will help beef it up and further help keep the cable from being pulled loose. The cable can now be soldered to the circuit board, soldering the red wire to the rear terminal of the power connector mounted on the board, and the black wire to the side terminal. Modification complete, the circuit board is re-inserted so the audio and power ports align with their respective holes in the case, and then the case top glued back on using super glue, hot glue, or other glue as desired. The modified receiver can now be installed in the console armrest with the USB cable plugged into the powered USB port and a short audio cable making the final connection to the auxiliary audio inputs.

The worst aspect of this is not a fault of the receiver, but of the axuiliary audio wiring, over which a distinct hiss can be heard. But, once the audio is playing, it seems to mask the hiss enough that I don't find it a problem unless playing music at a high volume.

Now, the Belkin receiver works well enough, but does not automatically synch with my phone. An issue of the phone or the receiver, I'm not sure, but it is a nuisance to always go to the Bluetooth menu in the phone and select the Belkin receiver for connecting. That gets back to the "one last tool" I referred to earlier...an Android app called "Bluetooth Auto Connect". With that app installed on the phone, effort is still required to connect to the receiver, but nothing more than a quick on/off toggling of the Bluetooth, which can be done from a widget on the main screen of the phone, rather than going to the Bluetooth menu. I set up the Bluetooth Auto Connect to specifically connect only to the Belkin receiver, with media audio enabled. That done, once I'm in the car and the ignition is on, thus powering up the receiver, a tap of the Bluetooth widget on the phone will cause the phone and Belkin receiver to connect. Media audio from the phone is routed to my car stereo while the hands-free bluetooth mic/speakerphone built into the car remains connected and unaffected.

Please refer to photos I added to the gallery for this product, to help illustrate this mod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Sound and Easy To Set Up/Use, February 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great way to get quality sound on your stereo without hooking up cables to your MP3 player, smartphone, etc. each time. The quality of the streaming music via Bluetooth from my Samsung Android smartphone & iPod Nano was excellent.

I tried both the optical digital out and the digital RCA out connections. Both were excellent and on my system they are treated identically in the amplifier/etc. The sound quality will vary depending on your audio components. The difference mostly will depend on precisely how and where the digital to analog conversion is occurring and how it treats different inputs. I have a fairly good audio system and the sound quality is almost imperceptible from the direct iPod USB input. On my system this is complicated by a slight volume difference between the inputs due to how the preamp works.

Setup and pairing the Bluetooth (BT) with my Android smartphone was a breeze. The printed instructions that it comes with are basic and have few words, bordering on cartoonish. But for many medium to advanced users they will be adequate, since it is pretty obvious how to set it up.

Like with any BT connection, if you get far enough away the sound drops out, but I would say this unit's BT connection was excellent. I can get about 70 feet away with about 5 walls in between before it starts to drop out. This connection is obviously dependant on your phone/player also, but the Belkin device seems to be top notch compared to other BT connections I've experimented with.

One important note,this unit does NOT come with a digital optical cable, even though this device has an optical digital out (Belkin does NOT claim that it is included). This is the optical cable with TOSLINK connectors and is labeled "S/PDIF" on some devices

Included with the unit:
BT Music Receiver, Power adapter, 3.5-millimeter-to-RCA Cable, Digital Coaxial HD Audio Cable and Quick Install Guide.

Belkin SongStream Bluetooth HD Music Receiver