4.0 out of 5 stars So far, outperforming all previous dongles & adapters
Published on January 25, 2012 by JAGS

Belkin F7D4555 is light weight, good looking and has all cables needed to use out of the box, two simple connections for USB power, and one for Ethernet

It does have dual band 2.4GHz & 5GHz but you must have a router with 5GHz band to be able to switch to it rather than common 2.4GHz band.

I intend to use this on my WiFi ready BluRay player for...
Published on January 25, 2012 by Careful shopper

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, outperforming all previous dongles & adapters, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setup is easy. First connect the adapter to your PC. The Belkin uses the USB port of your device (PC or TV) as a power source, just as a USB dongle would, and it actually connects to the device via an Ethernet cable. Launch your web browser and it should automatically go to the local Belkin home screen, if not, the URL is provided in the setup manual. Once you get to the Belkin setup on the page, enter your wireless credentials, and wait for the confirmation page. It also supports WPS. Once you've confirmed it is connected to your Wi-Fi, remove the adapter from the PC and connect it to your TV, again, connecting an Ethernet cable from adapter to port on TV and USB to TV's USB port for power. Your TV must have both ports for it to work because the device does not come with an AC power adapter. I have it connected to a 42" 1080P 120Hz LED LCD. So far, it has been great. I've tested all Internet features and movie services on my TV and all work well. I streamed the Skyline movie and numerous televisions shows (including an entire season of Breaking Bad) over Netflix and have not yet experienced any problems. I also watched Bridesmaids and Transformers Dark of The Moon in 1080P HDX on Vudu. Again, I had no issues and the video quality was excellent, like watching Blu-ray. I previously had this particular TV connected directly to my router via a cat6 cable because they are relatively close. So far, with the Belkin attached, I have not noticed any drop in performance after switching from wired to wireless. The device has not yet lost or dropped Wi-Fi signal between itself and my router. By comparison, I also own a Netgear WNCE2001 which is absolutely terrible, losing WiFi connectivity quite frequently and usually at the most inopportune moments. Only time and a lot more use will tell if this continues to blow away the WNCE2001 but so far it's been great.
I plan to connect this Belkin adapter to a TV downstairs that currently has an OEM a/g/n Wi-Fi USB dongle attached that isn't performing too well and switch this set back to wired. I have to wait a few weeks until I adjust the wall mount on the downstairs set (while performing another related project) because the mount is currently blocking the Ethernet port on that set. However, once I switch it there, that will be the ultimate test because, so far, USB dongles haven't worked that hot. The PS3 and Blu-Ray Wi-Fi has been great down there but it would be nice to have the option to watch Netflix or other movie services on the TV directly instead of always relying on other devices. I'll update in a few weeks and advise if this solves the problem. If so, it will definitely get a well-earned fifth star.

*** March 11th 2012 update ***
As promised, here is my updated review to reflect the switch from the 42" to 55" televisions. First, the good news. The Belkin absolutely blew away the OEM dongle in performance. It solved all of my woes and we no longer have any issues when streaming directly to the TV, regardless of content. Even HDX streams to it now without problems, whereas the OEM adapter couldn't even play standard Netflix reliably. It feels good to have the ability to watch Netflix or Hulu through the TV without the need to power on an auxiliary device for reliable streaming.
Now for the bad news... I have a weird issue with the TV downstairs. The first television seemed fine with the adapter through power cycles. However, the 55" seems to initialize a little faster than both the 42" TV and the Belkin adapter on power-up. This results in a "New network connection" setup box appearing every time I turn on my television. This is caused by the television's inability to reach the router's gateway IP, so it assumes the ethernet connection i a new connection. If the Belkin used an external power source, it would solve this delimma. I'm considering purchasing a powered USB hub or some other sort of external USB power that will keep the Belkin powered on 24X7. Even though the message is slightly annoying, it's by no means a deal-breaker. Even if I decide against buying an external USB hub, pushing an "OK" button whenever I turn on my television is still a lot more convenient and tolerable than constantly having movies abruptly freeze or lose connectivity during watching.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not QUITE as simple as button push in the Belkin feature description..., January 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I intend to use this on my WiFi ready BluRay player for wireless internet movies/video streaming

Quick install guide supplied in the box, but no user manual as in the "what's in the box" at Amazon and on Belkin product web page.
No PDF user manual available on the Belkin web site.

I may have a defective unit and if I can ever get through to Belkin, I hope to find out at some point what is going wrong, but right now I find it impossible to get it working OR to get help from Belkin.

I thought this was going to work as the feature description states;

"Quick, Hassle-Free Installation
With its simple, easy-to-install design, the adapter sets up in just minutes.
It connects to your wireless router with a quick press of a button"

Well, no, it did not work quite like that... There is no mention of pressing the button to connect in the quick installation guide that comes with the unit.

They say you must first connect it to a PC that is connected to your network, then go to Belkin F7D4555 address supplied to activate/setup the adapter for your network.
Same type actions as when you go to your router to do settings.
Trouble is, it will not see the adapter connected to my PC even though the LED is flashing blue and amber as it should.

I wanted to ask Belkin about this and register the product, so went to their web site to get an Email address. No Email address to use and you have to set up an account with them to ask a question...

Looked through their FAQ sections and then created an account as they requested, then could not log on to it and was told that my password or Email address was wrong... clicked on "Forgot password" so they would Email it to me , pop up message said that I did not have an account... went to "create New Account" to do it again, message told me that an account with that name already exists.

Okay, figured I'd use the "Live Chat" offered.... after waiting for half an hour to get to me, it cancelled the chat and gave me the message;

"We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you have a product such as a Router or a USB adapter, our hours of operation for chat are 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
For products such as Conserve or KVM, chat is available 24 hours a day Monday to Friday"

Live chat help available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week??

Tried again on another day and got the same results. Can't even get through to them to fix the problem with my account so that I can register the unit.

I'll be back to report how well it works as soon as Belkin responds to my attempts to get help from them or I manage to connect with the adapter's setup page. Might need a replacement device if this is DOA

4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Bridge for any Ethernet Capable Device, January 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Greetings Earthlings & Tech Fans....

I picked this up thinking it was a wireless HDMI device, instead, it is a wireless Ethernet device aimed at internet-ready TVs. But no harm, since I figured I'd use it to connect my Pandora capable blu-ray player to the net.

Basically, an "internet-ready TV" just means your TV has an Ethernet port, but this Belkin adapter can work with any device that has both an Ethernet and a USB port; DirecTV DVR, Home Theater Amplifier, an old laptop that doesn't have a WiFi adapter, etc. Actually, this device begs the question: why don't these cutting edge internet-ready TVs have WiFi in the first place? My guess is it will soon be touted as a "new feature" that manufacturers will charge extra for -- but that's another discussion entirely.

Basically, this Belkin adapter is a wireless network bridge -- it transmits and receives data to and from your WiFi router via radio frequency. The cool thing about it, is it doesn't need to be plugged into an electrical outlet -- it's powered via a standard USB port with the included Micro USB/Type A cable. Personally, I think this is great; I hate when these tiny tech devices want an electrical outlet of their very own when they could easily be powered via a USB port. So that's a bonus for this little Belkin adapter.

The adapter itself is about the size of a deck of cards. Setup is quite easy and straightforward -- just plug the Network cable into a laptop's Ethernet port, plug the adapter's power cable into an open USB port, and then open a web browser and connect to Belkin's online setup wizard. The wizard automatically detected my home WiFi network and prompted me for my password -- that's the only part I didn't like -- I wasn't sure if my password was being transmitted over the net, or just locally on my computer. But I went ahead with it anyway and the whole process only took a couple minutes at most. My Belkin adapter was configured and ready to be connected to my Blu-Ray player.

My Blu-Ray has USB and Ethernet ports, so it was just a matter of connecting the Belkin to my Blu-Ray player, and -- abracadabra -- wireless internet access for Pandora radio, downloadable BD special features, or even firmware updates for my Blu-Ray deck itself. It's that simple and the WiFi connection between this Belkin and my router appears rock solid. I haven't experienced any dropouts or hangs whatsoever. My router and this Belkin are only 20' apart, so I'm not exactly pushing the limits of this adapter, but it works flawlessly in my environment so no complaints there.

I think my only criticism about this unit is the price point seems a bit high for what this is. But other than that, I have nothing really negative to say about this little adapter. If you're in need of a wireless bridge for any of your tech devices, this will do the trick quite nicely. :oD

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, February 13, 2014
Roger L. Sayer "Lenedwin" (MUKILTEO, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
This unit works fine but installing it can be a nightmare if you don't know the trick. The instructions tell you to connect the unit to your main computer, open up a browser and enter www.belkin.universal and follow the instructions. Well, belkin.universal doesn't exist and you can spend hours trying to find out why. Most people give up in a rage and suggest a lot of anglo-saxon adjectives that might apply to Belkin.
However, stay calm. What you have to do is DISCONNECT your computer from the internet. Unplug the ethernet cable or disconnect the wifi then attach the unit's ethernet and usb(power) cables; wait for the flashing blue-amber light then open a browser ( explorer or firefox ) and, poof, the Belkin icon pops up and away you go. (I didn't even have to type in belkin.universal) How this works without your computer being connect to the internet I have no idea, but it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should!!!, July 2, 2013
FIRST, let me say that the Belkin directions included in the product are a JOKE and they have ZERO online support for this product! But thanks to reading many reviews online here is the SECRET:
YOU MUST USE WITHER A LAPTOP OR A PC THAT YOU CAN DISABLE THE WIRELESS FUNCTION. You have to think of it as using this adapter as your wifi router. You do not have to turn off your wireless router. I took my laptop, disabled the wireless, attached the supplied Ethernet cable, attached the USB for power, opened a browser, typed what they tell you to type and then followed the onscreen directions. After that you should be up and running! This is a far better solution than having to run cat5 cable throughout your house.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem, June 6, 2013
Could not have been easier plugged in the Lan and USB to my desktop waited for the alternating lights went on Firefox typed in the address and was at the site immediately. It found my network in a flash asked for my password and it was done. I'm using it with a Pioneer receiver for internet radio/podcast and firmware updates, it works. I'm especially pleased spending thirty bucks instead of the hundred fifty Pioneer wants for their dongle, hope it last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when..., July 5, 2013
This is a very nice wirleess adapter WHEN you get it to connect to your router, for me the very first time I tried to connect it to my 5 Ghz band it didn't want to but it connected to my 2.4 Ghz band right away and then I didn't wanna bother no more with it because I was wanting to use it on my new Panasonic Viera TV with wifi ready, after a few days I decided to see if I could connect it to my 5 Ghz band since it is better for streaming media ( I have a 5 mb connection speed), in order to switch bands on this device you have to reset it to factory settings and set it up from the beginning to choose a different band, so I did that but it won't connect to the 5 ghz one and after many tries I decided to just connect it to the 2.4 and get it over with except this time it won't even connect to this one and kept saying that it had a problem with my password for my router (even though I entered the right one) and kept saying "having problems identifying network key".
I read all solutions for this problem but non worked, so I decided to do the simplest thing. reset the netgear adapter and reset my router and that did it for me and I promised I would not fool with this adapter, netgear instructions are sucky and are not worth anything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Set up does not work, August 29, 2013
The process they give you to set this up does not work. The website does not exist. I tried to follow other user's solutions to fix the problem but ultimately it just made me angry. The instructions for the product setup should be accurate from the producer - otherwise it is crap and not worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, March 12, 2013
This was an easy set up and connected right off to my wireless internet. Have had no issues with it and streams netflix good without any glitches. Would definitely recommend and is less expensive than the dongle that is recommended for the Panasonic TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Careful, at your own risk, August 17, 2013
The product says, 'universal' adapter. Initial set up was fine, when I connected to the TV, the TV says no device is connected to TV. I have a Sony Bravia internet ready TV. I called Sony. They said Sony Tv is not compatible with belkin adapter. Then I called Belkin support. Somebody called 'Raja' came in line and told me that they have high call volume and somebody will call me within half an hour. Nobody did even after 12 hours. I checked their website for support. Not much information even after I entered my model number. Every time I try to click on email support, it circles back on the beginning of the support page. Belkin is a fraudulent company. First of all the product claiiming universal does not work with all the TVs. Then they do not have any support to speak of. I have to return it. Waste of time, money and neuronal cells.