1,853
Belkin N450 Wireless Dual-Band N+ Router (Latest Generation)
Model: N450Change
Price:$40.31 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Model: N600Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Updated Sep 06, 2011: Other users have confirmed the issue of permanent authentication with this router. A workaround is to enable its self healing feature, to force a nightly reboot of the router. While this does not fix the issue, it does reduce the time window during which this vulnerability will exist.

This is definitely a lot of router for the price. Its feature list reads like a dream:
# Dual band networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz)? Check!
# Guest network for visiting friends? Check!
# Support for standard features like port forwarding, MAC-based security, MAC address cloning, wireless security, etc.? Check!
# Support for advanced features such as Dynamic DNS services (dyndns.org), or Quality of Service (QoS) manipulation? Check!
# Ability to exercise parental control by tailoring access schedules and allowed URLs, giving me super-Dad powers? Check!
# Support an external USB drive? Check! Serve as an DLNA-compliant server? Double check!
# Ability to turn off all its router functionality and function as a barebones Wireless Access Point? Check!
# Unique aesthetics with lots of power saving options? Check! (unless you prefer your router lit up like a Christmas tree).
# A generous 2-year warranty? Check!

So what bothered me?
###############
[1] The implementation of administrator security seems a bit flawed. The router authenticates a user based on the IP address of the computer you are using to log in, and the admin password you configure.

Unfortunately, at various times in the past 8 weeks, admin authentication has failed to kick in. This allows any computer that had ever been authenticated to this router, to access the admin screens (and view any wireless passwords in clear text) without prompting for the admin password. Even the default 10 minute inactivity timeout for admin authentication is ignored when this happens. The only "fix" is to reboot the router. After the third such occurrence, I returned the router to Belkin for investigation.

See my uploaded screenshot for details (a link is in the Comments below). Notice that admin info is being displayed even though I did not provide an admin password. Also note that the header says "Login" (it should say "Logout" when you are authenticated).

I suspect that the "self healing" option (defaults to ON) masks this problem for most users by periodically rebooting the router.

[2] Unlike my Netgear WNDR3700, this Belkin N600 did not support DHCP Address Reservation. This is a feature that lets you reserve a given IP address for a particular device (such as a wireless printer or security camera) on your network. Without it, a router reboot could assign a different IP address to your device, requiring you to adjust its properties to get it back online. Some devices can be configured to request a particular IP address, but address reservation is a lot simpler.

[3] On the admin console, the SSID and password are on two separate pages, and each change needs to be committed before making the next. A commit requires a reboot of the router, which kicks you off the wireless network!

[4] Any change to the router settings takes 40 seconds to apply. This is perilously close to Windows reboot times!

[5] The router setup software did not work well on one of my computers. See the "additional notes" section below for an easier way to setup this router.

Conclusion
#######

This is a good value-for-money product. It is built well and is fairly stable. I was able to stream video to my PS3, and was able to connect with very decent range on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz network bands.

My favorite router is the solid Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700. However, given that this N600 costs about a third of what the WNDR3700 retailed for when it was first released, and that it costs about half as the WNDR3700 today, I am very impressed by the value that this router represents.

Unfortunately, the security issue was a deal breaker for me, and so I have returned this router to Belkin for inspection. I have returned to my Netgear, which works well, and I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder for abnormal behavior.

Additional notes:
###########
If you have setup a router before, the standard router setup procedure is far easier to follow:
1. Power down your cable modem, router, and computer
2. Connect an Ethernet cable between the WAN port of the router and the cable modem
3. Connect an Ethernet cable between a LAN port of the router and your computer.
4. Power on the cable modem and wait for the lights to settle.
5. Power on the router and wait for the power light to steady.
6. Power on the computer, and navigate to the router (for the Belkin N600: 192.168.2.1)
7. Set up an administration password, and inactivity timeout
8. Set up the wireless SSID and security.
9. On the computer, establish a connection to your SSID, providing the appropriate passphrase.
10. Your computer is now connected on both your wired and wireless networks. Logout of the router's admin console. Else the dreaded "Duplicate Administrator" error is likely to raise its ugly head.

That's it!

Happy Networking!
review image
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
Model: N150Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The setup for this router was extremely simple. Plug the device into a power outlet and Modem, boot up your computer, toss in the included disk, follow a few instructions, and you're set.

During the setup, a Router Monitoring program is installed. This gives you quick and easy access to options should you wish to access more advanced setings. It is not necessary if you stick to the default.

I had previously attempted to setup a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, which was highly recommended to me by friends who have used it successfully. After nearly pulling out all my hair, I ended up returning the device. For some reason the wireless signal would not detect properly. I returned it as recommended by Buffalo support and tried another. Same issue, so I sent the second back as well.

From there I went with a D-Link DIR-655. It took some tweaking and manual channel switching before it would work, but at least it worked.

After hooking up the Belkin N150, I was amazed to see that, after following the setup instructions, it was up and running! I successfully connected my MyTouch 4G phone, iPad 2, and Gateway laptop. I didn't have to tweak anything. Oddly enough it also had a stronger signal than my D-Link DIR-655 (which has three antennas). All the devices gave me 4bars at the farthest location in my house, where the D-Link DIR-655 often moves down to three or lower.

Out of curiosity, I checked the internet speed between the Belkin N150 and D-Link DIR-655. The D-Link DIR-655 gave me a download speed of 7414kbps with a 1417kbps upload speed. The Belkin N150 gave me a 8785kbps download speed with a 1140kbps upload speed (I used the integra Telecom speed test and have Comcast as my internet provider). This tells me that their internet speed is pretty much the same, as the speed tests in general tend to fluctuate a bit.

One negative about the Belkin N150 is that the LAN ports on the back are only 10/100 whereas the D-Link DIR-655 is 10/100/1000. That said, for the price, I was extremely impressed with the Belkin N150 and will be recommending it to friends and family who are looking for a good buy.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Model: N150Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
I've been using this router: Cisco-Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router for the past five years, with a few problems relating to security settings, installation and reliability. Thus, I was nervous to mess with a home network that was 'currently' working well, but when the Amazon Vine program offered me the chance to try out the Belkin N150 Wireless N Router I thought I'd give it a go. This router promised an easy installation, and as I have experience many difficult ones, I knew I'd know if it truly was 'easy' or not.

INSTALLATION:
One of the negatives for this product was immediately apparent - poor setup directions. Yes, if you can look at a picture and figure things out, you'll get the gist, but it's not what I would call clear. The manual is on the included CD, but since that's step 3 according to the minimal instructions, you'd not know that by just a glimpse.

Following the pictures it's a plug things in; AC to the wall and into the back of the router, with 10/100 connections (4 of them) on the back of the router and one marked 'modem', being self explanitory. Since this is the low-end of the Belkin offerings, don't expect anything fancy, but in truth, that may be why this is as close to a plug n' play router as any I've ever seen. That ease of use is its biggest selling point to me.

Once the router is plugged in, it's time to put the enclosed CD in the computer's drive. The set-up seems to finish quickly - 3 minutes or so - and then comes to a screen that says 'Click to Get Connected'. From there the router attempts to connect with your modem. Mine is the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem, and apparently the two devices don't communicate well, at least at first.

After the software attempted several times to connect the router to the modem, offering up solutions to try on the screen on my desktop, it was the resetting of the modem by unplugging its AC power for 15 seconds and then powering it back up, that finally did the trick. Finally the opportunity to enter the SSID (network name) and password - both are on the bottom of the router and also on a tag attached to it - came up. Advanced settings are also an option here, but if you are unfamiliar with networking, no need to mess with it. The router has a firewall and is configured with WPA/WPA2 security type settings.

Following the connection being made, the software wanted to update to the most recent firmware. I did that update, which took 3 minutes to complete on my Windows 7 machine.

The entire installation of software and connecting to the modem took me 30 minutes. That's much faster than any of the other four routers I've installed in my home previously, and other than talking with the modem, things went off without a hitch. I then went to my laptop and inserted the CD, installing the necessary drivers and security on it within 3 minutes. Two Roku's, an iTouch, a Nintendo DS an Android phone and a Wii, all accepted the network password, effortlessly networking my household.

PERFORMANCE:
Prior to adding this router I had internet speeds via cable of 19 to 15 mbps downloading. The addition of this router to the setup boosted the speed on my home network about 20 percent, loading web pages more quickly. Since all the devices are not 'N', it's not at its peak of performance, but it seems stable and quick following installation.

SECURITY:
This is always an issue, and something in the 'advanced' settings that I probably will look into more in the coming days. For now I'm satisfied with the WPA/WPA2 security, and the way the Belkin router ships, you couldn't ask for an easier way to get novices connected than by having the pre-set SSID Network name and password proprietary to each router. The idea simplified installation and setting up the connections with devices, but the short password is a minor concern for me.

This really is the easiest to set up wireless router I've ever encountered. I think it's perfect for anyone with basic wireless needs (surfing, watching TV, emailing), but not ultra-fast internet speeds. Check out the other devices in the Belkin line for the ones recommended for heavier useage. It seems to have good range and offer good data transfer speeds. It's as close to plug n' play as you'll get with such a device, and so the true test will be in its durability and security strength.

Overall I'd recommend it. The price is very inexpensive for a wireless router which is good, but keep in mind it's simple in terms of features - which is good for some, and not right for others.

4/27/11 UPDATE:
I've been running this router in my home for over a week now. Internet speeds (wired and wireless) are fast and reliable. Only one issue has come up with my wireless printer, which is a HP Officejet Pro 8500A Wireless e-All-in-One (CM755A#B1H). The printer which worked flawlessly prior to the addition of this wireless router on my network, now has 'hic-ups' in performance. Sometimes it doesn't print, even with the proper network info installed. I have Windows search for a new printer, then install it again to get things running until the next time. This was irksome until I cleared out all the printers listed in the Control Panel of Windows 7, and then had the PC search for printers (I have 2). I freshly installed both, and at least for now... knock on wood... no issues printing. Hope it holds!

12/29/11 UPDATE:
Thought this router had bit the dust after days of spotty service, resetting both the router and modem, and testing of my cable modem found nothing wrong with that component which seemed to point back to the Belkin router. I was prepared to purchase another Belkin if need be - like how easy it is to setup and maintain the network within my home, but thankfully that wasn't necessary.

Eventually I called my cable provider to work through the issue and found that it was a MAC address issue - the cable provider reset and worked me through the specifics - not the router. Router is back up and running, working great.

1/25/13 UPDATE:
I have retired this one, in favor of Belkin N750 Dual Band Wireless N Gigabyte Router (Latest Generation) after being unable to get my Epson WorkForce 545 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax, iOS/Tablet/Smartphone/AirPrint Compatible (C11CB88201) to print wirelessly (AirPrint) as it said it would.

Other issues such as slowed Internet speeds, especially when my daughter would be using her Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player in one room and several other devices were also being accessed by Wifi.

The new one streams up to 450megs, with dual channels, offering 2.4Ghz channel and a 5Ghz one.

It's also got a bunch of upgraded security settings and the ability to offer a 'guest' channel with a separate password. A big step up from this little guy, but it installed just as easily.

The N750 has Parental Controls and other advanced security settings that make it great for families with teens, and or lots of users.

If you have minimal needs like you're single and don't have 4 or more devices clamoring for Wifi, this one is still a good bet. If you want more from your router, or have access to higher speeds than 150megs ... might want to bump up the Belkin ladder a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL NOTE: It's now August 2014 and I currently have this product: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) which while almost six times the price of this one, works extremely well for streaming media. I'm a cord cutter who wrote a book to teach non-techy types of people how to do it. The book: Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV, is not for advanced users or tech experts, but it can help those who want to save money with over air TV and streaming media to get started.

I stand by this Belkin N150 review as written. In the right household; small square footage (apartment or small home), without multiple wireless devices being used at the same time, it should be OK. It's not perfect, but again, users with basic needs on a budget should find it useful.
review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Model: N600Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, let me say that I'm a big D-Link fan and I haven't had much experience with Belkin (outside of their power strips and surge protectors). As far as routers & access points go, I've always considered them to be a 'second tier' manufacturer.

Given that background, I wasn't expecting much from this N600 DB - but I have been seriously impressed.

Before the N600 DB, my house was setup with two D-Link access points (a DAP-1522 and a DIR-655). Both are setup with identical settings (other than the channel) so I can roam around the house and get good coverage pretty much anywhere.

When I opened up the N600 DB, I immediately changed the settings to be identical to my D-Link access points. Then I disabled the D-Links and roamed around the house using a wireless signal meter. The first time around, I actually thought I had forgotten to disable one of the D-Links because the coverage was so good - but I did confirm that this Belkin N600 DB provides better coverage than both of my D-Link devices combined (I also tested them individually and got the same result).

Aside from the great coverage, here are some features that I like about the Belkin N600 DB:

1) It has a setting to enable a guest wireless account. This is a nice feature if you want guests to be able to access the Internet without having access to your home network. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me since I'm using the Belkin as an access point instead of a router.

2) It is dual-band capable.

3) It can be set to 'access point' mode, which disables the firewall and other filtering features. This works great for me since I have another router anyway.

4) If you use WPS, you'll be happy to see that this router has a convenient WPS button right on the front instead of having it either hidden on the back or in the firmware configuration.

5) It includes a USB port that can be used to share a network printer. My printers are already on the network, but the built-in print server is a great option if you are still sharing your printer from a PC.

Although I've been impressed by the Belkin N600 DB, there are a couple of problems I've run into:

1) The biggest issue for me is that this router can't be mounted to the wall. I like to keep stuff mounted and out of the way - but that's not an option with the N600.

2) When saving configuration changes, the N600 takes a long time to reboot - about 45 seconds. This reminds me of routers I used several years ago; but seems like a long time for modern devices.

3) Although the configuration pages weren't overly dificult to navigate, I do prefer the D-Link setup. To be fair, that may just be an issue of familiarity.

Overall, I highly recommend the Belking N600 DB. The wireless coverage is nothing short of amazing - so I'm able to say goodbye to having multiple wireless access points in the house just to get coverage everywhere.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2011
Model: N300Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Received this router, set it up with the same SSID and password as my previous router, and most of my devices were able to connect without having to reconfigure anything.

Configuration of the router was quite simple. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Easy to set up password, left wireless channel selection to auto, etc.
2. Multibeam technology - spreads the signal well around the house. Can even use with my portable devices and laptop in the backyard (router in the den, so 2-3 walls away)
3. Self-healing technology (though this is suspect, as it seems to consist of telling the router to reboot itself at a certain day & time). Product description claims some kind of analysis to find the clearest channel (I did configure it for auto channel selection...many routers now have that option).
4. Many different devices connected - D-Link wireless print server, desktop PC running Vista, laptop running Windows XP Professional, laptop running XP Home, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S, iPod Touch, iPad, Wii (streaming Netflix), 7" Android tablet, etc.
5. WPS configuration (though I did not use it...just assuming it will work)
6. Other standard configuration options available - DMZ, virtual server, MAC address filtering,

Cons:
1. Router displays its info (internet settings, lan settings, firewall settings, etc.) without needing to login
2. There is no place to reserve IP address based on specific MAC ID -- this is very important if you are connecting to LAN or WLAN enabled printers (or printer servers) or NAS drives. As a work around, I had to configure my printer with a static IP address, and make sure that the DHCP address range avoided the static IP used for the printer. The downside to this is the router will not display the printer in the client list (client list is only for DHCP clients, so static IP won't show up).
3. One of my computers will not reestablish connection if coming out from System Standby. Solution is to reboot the router (unplug power, or login from another computer and do a software reboot). This did not happen with the previous router.
4. Frequently the printer on the WLAN network will not print. Rebooting the router (unplug power cord or software reboot) will fix problem.
5. Missing ability to configure different TCPIP ports, services, or restrict access hours (parental control).

Conclusion:
If you want a simple router and are not connecting a network printer or NAS drive, this router will work fine and is simple to use. More advanced users with networked printers and NAS drives, or wanting to control internet access, etc. will find the lack of these options frustrating and should look into a brand name instead.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 7, 2011
Model: N450Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although I am a proficient computer user, I am not much of an expert in networking. In the past, I have had several routers (Cisco, Linksys, etc.) that required way too much troubleshooting for my level of expertise. So far, this router has been extremely simple to use and hasn't dropped my connection at all. Given the track record we have had with other routers in my home, that alone is a huge improvement. I also tested out the "Self-Healing" app that does diagnostics on the network, to see what it was like, and it seemed to be effective and intuitive (although since I haven't had any real trouble yet, I don't know how it would perform under pressure). The dual-band is, as other reviewers have stated, an advantage for a home like ours that has a wide variety of wireless devices throughout the house. The speed was not notably faster than my old router, but, then again, my old router would drop the connection periodically, so I really can't complain. Obviously there are higher-end routers on the market with more bells and whistles, but this one should suit a typical household just fine.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2011
Amazing router, works great!! My internet provider is Time Warner Cable Road Runner and with this router i get 10mbps with no problem, the setup is very EASY just plug the yellow cable(ethernet) to your modem and that's it belkin do the "magic", i have a PS3, Wii, 2 iPhones, 1 Blackberry, 1 Notebook and 1 iMac connected in my network and this router do a GREAT job!, really really buy this router, why pay 60 or 80Dlls for another router if this for 29.99 do a great job.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2011
I bought this unit exactly one month ago. Since I used 3Com, D-Link before, I quickly set it up.

PROs:
-Easy installation;
-Easy configuration;
-Speed seems good.

CONs:
Two weeks after usage, the wireless network can't be connected from my iphone, g-tablet, laptop wifi, desktop wifi. Maybe it's my bad luck?

This issue happens once a week and every time I have to power it off to resolve.

My firmware version is v. 1000, 201109G1135490. Latest FW version from belkin site is version: 1.00.08. If it doesn't work out, I have to contact support.

P.S.: The original firmware is v.00.08. The wireless still fails once a week after flashing. I guess it's purely bad luck.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 18, 2011
INSTALLATION- I upgraded from a netgear N300 because there were some software issues with my computer and Xbox all of a sudden not able to receieve a signal or be connected through direct wire. So I did some homework and upgraded to this router. I read the reviews there on the spot as Belkin has started adding the searchable barcodes that can be scanned from your smart phone. I then came home and was suprised to find out how easy the install process was. I did not have to run a cord from my computer to the router just to access the set-up or anything. It was basically plug and play. The security and passwords are all set up before you take it out of the box. They provide a card that can be placed on the router so you dont lose it as well.
I want to say that this router was one of the easiest installations that I have ever done. My hook up was as follows:

1: Hook up router to the modem
2: Plug the router in
3: Insert disc provided into your computer that you will use on the device.
4: Go to my computer and select the CD and run it.
5: This will take you through the set-up wizard and install it onto your computer aswell as configure the router.
6: Then shut the router down and start it back up. After that your hooked up

PERFORMANCE- I have not had to reset this router at all since I have had it. My gaming connection was instantly boosted for some reason. When i had my Netgear router it would be hit and miss. Some times i would have an awesome full bar connection but then other times i would just lose signal. With the Belkin N600 I have had NO issues at all. I have not came lower then a full bar connection. The range of this router out performs any that I have had in the past by far. I am able to sit out in the yard with the family and still have a full signal.

CUSTOMER SERVICE- Another reason that I transfered from Netgear to Belkin is that Netgear only offers their "FREE" 24/7 Customer Service for the first 90 days that you have the router. After that in order to receive any assistance at all from them you have to purchase a service agreement on a yearly time table. I think that this was rediculous as seeing that the software issue that was from their router was the issue I was having. Saying this I have had NO issues with Belkin. I call their Service line and they informed me that there is no purchase needed for their customer service.

ONLY ISSUE- That I have seen so far is that there is no owners manual. Yes you can look it up on the disc or online but, I am the type of person that likes to have a booklet just in case.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2011
I've had this router for about two months now, and it works great as long as you don't try to use the internet. If you'd like to use an internet based device, you'll need to unplug the router for 30 seconds so it remembers that it's a wireless router and is intended to connect things to the internet.

It's extremely helpful to go on Belkin's website to find out that this is considered perfectly normal, and isn't a sign that there's anything wrong with the router. Personally, I'd say a wireless router that forgets that it's a wireless router once a day is not exactly a reliable piece of equipment. I'd love to return it, but I'm outside of the magical 30 day window...so I'm stuck with this POS until I scratch together the money to buy one that works.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations