4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Competition - But!
Published on October 29, 2011 by M. Maney

1.0 out of 5 stars Continually drop internet
I bought this product becasue I have an in-house online business and my router went down late on a holiday weekend night. So, off to Walmart.
Published on January 24, 2012 by Robert W. Burns Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Competition - But!, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Belkin N450 Wireless N Router (Latest Generation) (Personal Computers)
First let me say that I've owned a lot of routers over the years (Belkin, DLink, Lnksys/Cisco, Netgear) and generally speaking I prefer Belkin for their ease-of-use and overall value for the dollar. I have a "mixed" network with both wired & wireless devices. I have a network-attached-storage (NAS) unit and frequently stream both movies and music; plus my phone service is a voice-over-Internet phone system. Dependability and speed are the two most important things I look for in a router. I do not do online/network gaming and cannot speak to that environment.

Things I Like:

All the basic functions are there for the average user plus a couple of features you don't necessarily see on the competition. Self healing is one such function. Basically, routers (any network device really) benefit from a periodic "restart/reset" a few times a month. The Belkin allows you to schedule that restart to automatically occur (say, in the middle of the night). Nice!. Belkin also employs the staefull-packet-inspection methodology for inbound transmissions which is an added level of protection from hackers. Some but not all of the competition does. Coverage is good for an internal antenna router. My environment has a single-level 2000 square ft. footprint and the signal strength is full "N" in all locations. My network also registers with usable strength for neighbors within a few hundred feet (no, they don't actually use my network).

Setup is extremely easy and you do not have to use the supplied software if you don't want to. I set mine up manually in about 15 minutes. A non-confusing interface with "help-bubbles" has always been a Belkin strength. For the most part (in a simple setup) you really don't have to do much other than plug it in and setup your wireless password & network name.

For those that require fast LAN speed (ie: non-wireless), this router is faster than several more expensive routers I've compared it to. Since I frequently stream movies over the network this was an important consideration. Streaming movies (wireless or wired) while others surf the net, talk on the phone, or use smartphone features is becoming an everyday requirement for multi-user households and the Belkin's seem to handle things pretty well.

Things Belkin Could Have Done Better:

These items may not matter to you, and they don't necessarily constitute a show-stopper. I like the N450 and it meets my immediate needs but I thought they deserve mention (nothing's perfect, right?). Maybe in the future Belkin will address them.

The N450 has a single diagnostic light as opposed to the multiple lights on previous Belkin models. I can't believe these would add anymore than a few dollars to the cost and they are a valuable addition for troubleshooting. If the thinking was "simpler is better", it is definitely not in cases of providing adequate performance indicators for troubleshooting. Belkin needs to spring for a couple more LED's.

I haven't found a way to reserve IP addresses for a specific device. Reserving addresses for network printers & some NAS units is a valuable tool in setting up a complex network. There are ways around it for the most part but it can be time consuming. Previous Belkin routers had this feature and its removal is a mystery to me.

In comparing the N450 to the more feature-laden N600, I find it curious that the N450 has Gigabit LAN ports and the pricier N600 does not. Normally you don't see features removed as the price goes up. Belkin Marketing needs to take another look it's targeted user base. I doubt most users needing faster wireless speeds would be willing to put up with slower LAN speeds for that benefit.

All things considered:

The N450 is a great value router for those that need good wireless coverage and very fast wired speeds for an affordable price. If you're seeking the fastest wireless speeds, have a multilevel house, or do not have a need for Gigabit LAN speeds, the N600 would be a better alternative. The N600 has 2 additional wireless antennas which make it a better wireless performer. The N450 with the Gigabit ports strikes a better balance for those that are both wired & wireless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Continually drop internet, January 24, 2012
The dual channels and high speed were very attractive. My pc's, smartphone and tablet easily stay connected to this router at very high speeds, but it drops the internet several times a day! Looking at reviews after the fact, I see Belkin has had this problem with various routers since at least 2008.
I tried all of the powerdown recommendations, etc., still the same.
This piece of junk is going back. How can a company keep putting out products with the same problem?

4.0 out of 5 stars Think I figured out some of the issues, September 2, 2013
I bought this because of the price and the Gigabit speed ports and all the features on the router, as I upgraded my homes network. After first installing this, everything was up and running without issue. Super fast streaming speed all the way from watching Amazon and Netflix to having multiple users on the same network watching media from our server. Never missed a beat, until that evening.
Pictures stopped loading on wifi and then the internet went completely out. Went and checked on the router and switch I also installed and found the router had an orange light on it. Re-booted the modem, router, and switch and the unit was again active, blue light shining. Thought all is good. That last for 12 minutes and the orange light was back. Re-started again and this time it worked fine for almost 3 hours.
So I was ready to send this back because the last thing I want to have to do is babysit a router. Went in and changed some settings. After a while and after turning off the firewall and self healing, we have not had anymore trouble. It's been two days without a issue. So if you have this and it is giving you trouble, you may try turning both of those off. I will update this in the near future to let you know how it has been running. Otherwise if it stays running like it is, I will be a happy camper.

**UPDATE** 09/10/2013
Still running strong without a single issue. Has not dropped the internet yet. Highly pleased.

**UPDATE**
Thought I would update. The wireless has since became unreliable and had to be restarted a few times daily. I upgraded to a Buffalo router a while back and that runs circles around the Belkin. This has been downgraded to just a Gigabit switch, with the wireless turned OFF. Works great as a switch. I prefer the DD-WRT security on the Buffalo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Router, August 18, 2012
I bought this router because it was a dual-band router at a good price. The dual band seemed to indicate that it would work better for multiple users, but that simply wasn't the case. I previously had a Linksys router, which worked fine but it was having some issues every time it restarted, thus the move to the Belkin N450.

Once I changed routers, the problems began with all the computers and phones in our house connecting more slowly to our wireless service. I use Skype Voice and WebEx as I work from home...Skype voice basically worked so poorly it was unusable.

The biggest change I noticed on my computer, which connects wirelessly, was that the speed of the wireless connection fluctuated between 5 Mbps and 12 Mbps. The old Linksys router was always closer to 50 Mbps!

I returned the Belkin and purchased the Cisco/Linksys E1200 router and it works flawlessly. The wireless connection now varies between 50 Mbps and 120 Mbps!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level High Speed router with minimal settings options, June 21, 2011
Fishing Fool (On a yacht near Fiji Islands) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First let me describe my current setup. In my home I currently use two routers...a D-Link WBR-2310 in the living room and a Kyocera KR2 in the bedroom. The D-Link is attached to the DSL modem while the KR2 is attached to the D-Link via ethernet. I have it setup this way to allow two separate networks and hotspots that uses one DSL connection. Both have the transmit power dialed down because I prefer to keep the radio range short to prevent the signals from extending over to my neighbors. This Belkin will be replacing the old discontinued non-N capable D-Link so I will compare it to that model as well as my Kyocera KR2.

Now to the review. First thing I noticed when unpacking the Belkin was the fact the router does not have a row of information/status/activity LEDs, it only has one LED that changes from orange to blue. Blue means there is internet, orange means there is not. Second I noticed there were no external antennas, they're internal and there are 3 of them. Third this router can only be stood vertical, no horizontal mounting.

Compared to my two routers, both the D-Link and KR2 have a row of LEDs which I find very useful. The absence of activity LEDs on the Belkin is a disadvantage in my opinion because I usually give the LEDs a quick glance to check the status while I'm downloading huge files. This may seem like a small feature for most people but for the way I use routers it's a significant loss in functionality. For example when I'm downloading files up to 1.5GBs I don't leave my computer monitor on so I cannot check the download status from the PC, that means I rely on the router LEDs instead. Not only that but remember that my desktop computer is in the bedroom. What happens if I go out into the living room or kitchen to eat and need to keep an eye on the download status? Sorry can't be done even though the router is in the living room because it doesn't have any activity LEDs. The thing is if the download gets disconnected part way through I would not be able to know. Obviously this is very important when you're downloading huge files that take hours to complete. With LEDs I could tell right away by the blinking activity that the download is still in progress or disconnected/finished. If it turned out that it was disconnected I could go to my computer to restart the same download or start another new download without constantly going into the bedroom to check my PC and/or router. Anyway status LEDs are useful for checking if someone is trying to leech internet access from your router too.

As far as features, the Belkin has a really basic feature set. It does not have some advanced features of my other two routers. One feature missing from the Belkin which I use on my own routers is the radio power setting. On my routers I have it set to the lowest power which means the lowest range so the signals do not go around the whole neighborhood. Having lots of range is good but only if you want it to. It would've been useful if users could manually adjust the range. Another feature I use is the MAC address filtering feature. The Belkin has this feature but it is limited to "allow" (inclusion) only, it doesn't have "deny" (exclusion). Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Now for the unique feature. The Belkin has a "self healing" feature which is nice. You can set the router to re-initialize itself any day of the week at any time. This comes in handy when the network encounters problems while you're away.

In summary, the Belkin N450 is a good entry level High Speed router, however it also lacks some advanced features of other similar routers. With that said, if you're looking for a basic high speed N+ router and don't need all of the bells and whistles of other routers then this one is a good choice. It's easy to setup and won't overwhelm you with a bunch of advanced settings.

Update: I've encountered the same non-working Admin login timeout issue that others have mentioned. I contacted Belkin tech support and they told me to "reflash" the firmware which is very odd. I already installed the latest firmware but they said I needed to reflash it again in order to get the admin login timeout to work. The reflash did fix the problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Miserable Experience, November 5, 2013
This router worked ok for a short period of time. The wireless goes up and down. The range is much shorter than my older Netgear routert. Belkin customer support was very disappointing and didn't help me with my problems at all. I followed all of their instructions and the router still does not work properly. I just don't want to waste 2 more hours with their technical support team. It is not worth the effort. The router has even completely reset itself to factory settings on its own. In addition, even the devices connected via ethernet do not work well.

Incredibly dissatisfied and cannot return it now. I would not recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Wireless N Router, July 13, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used Linksys consumer routers for many years, recently their prosumer/small business security routers/VPN. This Belkin is my fist true foray away from Linksys and Cisco products... and I am pleased. The 450N is the midrange wireless router in the Belkin lineup - The highest performance before jumping into their dual band and media centric (printer/storage) solutions. This router replaced a Linksys WRT320N in the wireless solution in my test setup.

The menu navigation was solid, and I really enjoyed the interface in comparison to Linksys/cisco. Selecting the group header provided a quick help for the function of each menu and the guest isolation for visiting bandwidth seekers (inlaws) was perfect. I really appreciate the ability to turn on and off a guest function that doesn't make me reconfigure my guests for my network or share my high security key with anyone outside of my household.

The wireless speed is great, often close to 3 times the connection speed with my Linksys wireless N that it replaced. My main laptop NIC is a Intel 5300 AGN, perfect.

The self-healing feature that resets itself is a welcome feature that will not let gremlins impact you. As a seasoned network and server platform engineer, I certainly understand the preventative value of clearing memory and cache and keeping things fresh.

On the negative side, I do like to have the option of a horizontal placement, so the ability to remove the stand at a minimum would be helpful. From a feature perspective, more than dyndns.org as a ddns provider gives the end-user some options and keeps providers competitive. I'd also like to see local network DHCP static reservation options.

And the check for update button is a great option that I've never seen in a Linksys product. My only complaint on it is that it only looks for updates from its Internet (WAN) port connection. After testing this as a gateway device, I've continued to use it as an access point behind a business level firewall... it will not find updates through its other network ports, even if it has a valid static IP and DNS assignment.

I'd recommend this wireless router - I continue to use it daily. This review is typed through the 450N+ router on my laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Signal, RUDE tech support, November 14, 2013
Garand69 (Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed. I purchased this to replace another Belkin that I had for a couple of years. This being a newer-bigger-better model I expected zero issues. Set up was easy just as the last one, however it kept dropping the signal. After a large amount of time on the phone with a rather rude member of Belkin's tech support, the blue light stays on, however none of our devices can detect a signal (4 different phones, 1 Roku box, and a tablet). No more Belkin for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy. DEFECTIVE Design., November 18, 2013
This router worked great for the first 3 months. Now it cannot hold a Wi Fi connection. It keeps dropping the connection and I have to reset the router several times a day. I contacted Belkin tech service to try to resolve this issue but they failed to fix this disconnection problem. Now I have to return this defective piece of junk to Belkin for a replacement. I am now awaiting further instructions from Belkin.

1.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKED FOR A WHILE, January 13, 2014
Purchased this in-store for about 20-30% more than the price on Amazon. Waste of money. It would work for about 12hrs total at a time and then suddenly stop without explanation saying my signal was limited, but still wouldn't connect with a limited signal (that means if I was on my laptop for 3hrs at a time for 4 days, then by hour 4 on the 4th day it would stop working). It would say limited but my PC would say signal strength was strong (showing all bars) and my router is less than 5ft away from my laptop at all times. I would have to reset it constantly. Finally it just stopped connecting. After going through troubleshooting and calling my ISP it still doesn't work.

Really not worth the hassle. Had it actually worked consistently I would've given it 2 stars. But it only worked intermittently and then completely stopped working after 4-5 months.

Belkin N450 Wireless N Router (Latest Generation)
Used & New from: $8.09