Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not sure if this product falls short because of its hardware or the lousy app that accompanies it. Belkin certainly makes a nice presentation with great packaging and industrial design, but unfortunately the product itself operates more like a relic of the 90's than a useful high definition wifi camera.

Despite the fact you'll see an iPad in the product description, the app that the camera requires is not a native iPad app. In fact searching for the app using the iPad's app store will turn up nothing - it does, however, show up when iPhone apps are included in the search. The app runs in the iphone emulation mode that results in a smaller size image - pretty much negating the "high definition" resolution of the camera.

But it gets worse. What's immediately apparent is the horrific framerate the camera delivers even over a local network. Initially it looks a lot like a convenience store surveillance camera that runs at only a few frames per second. This can be partially rectified by forcing the camera to its highest framerate (25 frames per second), but it stil doesn't deliver consistent smooth video.

Things get really bad when the record button is pushed in the app. The framerate then slows to a crawl. It's so bad that everything is just a big blurry mess with only a couple of frames per second. I can assure you won't be preserving any "memorable moments" that Belkins suggest you can do with this.

Audio quality is also lacking. In fact it's terrible. Nothing more to say than that.

Overall I'd say this is not worth its high price. Perhaps if some work is done on the app to optimize some of these frame rate issues it might be more useful. But as it stands there are much better options available at this price point.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2013
Love how all the Belkin people have rushed in to thumbs-down my review. Typical.

Let's begin. First off all, this is not made by Belkin. It's an off-label brand that they have rebranded as their own. Yet it actually has less functionality than the off-label product.

Pros:
The video preview quality is decent. That's it.

Cons:
The software crashes all the time.
A 3-second animation plays every time you open the app, even if the app was just idle!
The camera keeps losing the connection to the iPhone app, so you need to quit the app and relaunch it constantly.
The video recording on the software is limited to about 2 frames per second.
The buttons for recording or taking a photo have childish sounds attached to them and they can NOT be turned off. Even if you put your phone on silent.
The recording of video stops at random places, probably caused by notifications on your phone.
You have to sign up for their service, giving them a username, email and password in order to use the camera. There is NO way around this. This means at any time Belkin can watch your camera!! Now wait a minute, you think this won't ever happen? After I sent 3 emails through the app to Belkin, a notice popped up on the screen of my iPhone stating:

Logged out!
There has been a log-in of the same
username and password from
another computer device.

They were looking at my camera!!!!

SEE the photo I added above!!

I sent it back within 3 hours. You will too.
review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
*Update 6/15* - thanks to a commenter, I did get it to work with ISpy, by updating the camera list in the wizard (off to the right, for some reason even with the latest software, all the cameras weren't listed), and then I could use the wizard to set it up. This also showed me the extra info that was necessary to also get it to work with IPCamView - basically http://admin:admin@[camera ip adddress]:80/goform/video. Basically the admin:admin is the username and password, then @ipaddress of the camera then :80 for the port that it streams thru. Using this I think you might be able to set it up with any other camera monitoring software or app you choose, altho I haven't been successful configuring it with anything besides ISpy yet. I gave it an extra star for that to bump it up to a 3 star rating. The hardware aspect of this camera is great, the optics are good and build quality is about what you'd expect, but it doesn't perform well in low light, and there is no way to adjust the brightness/contrast (I would really like to see belkin add image settings and even an option for auto image setting that could automatically adjust the brightness/contrast based on current lighting conditions). Also the software for this camera is severely lacking in advanced features - such as saving to an ftp server, setting up motion detection zones, etc..

* original * Wow - i saw the other reviews, but thought, surely it can't be that bad. It is. The app has virtually no functions and no options. I thought, well, that's okay, I can use it with IPCamView or even Blue Iris on my computer - BUT NO - it is NOT COMPATIBLE with any other software and apps that almost every other IP camera is compatible with. WHY? Why did they choose to limit it like this and render it virtually unusable. You can't even adjust the image, or set motion detection zones.

The app is so basic that you can only log in, and view the camera. If you go into settings you can turn the audio on or off, turn the IR on or off, turn image auto adjust on or off, and set emails on or off and that's pretty much it! This camera and it's pitiful app mean that it is only good for real time viewing - forget about it if you want to record anything automatically or use it for any kind of home security. Maybe Belkin will wise up and add some better features in the future, but as it is, this camera is really not good for much other than viewing real time activity. And because it's not compatible with other software besides Belkin's own, you can't use it to mix and match with other cameras in your home security system. Trendnet and Foscam both have similar cameras that have all the features this is missing. IE - the ability to record to SD card or computer when motion is detected, the ability to use it with any software and app that you prefer - and I believe both of them are similar, if not cheaper in price than this Belkin. I may be trying one of those two for my next WIFI camera. The logitech alert cameras are more expensive, but also have a much higher feature set than this, as well as really nice desktop software for recording activity and scheduling alerts, etc.

Motion detection alerts seem to work okay and it will email you two frames at the time it is triggered, but again, since this is meant for phone/tablet use only, why only email alerts? There should be an option to have it send push notifications so you can look right away and not have to wait for an email to come thru. And without it having the capability to automatically record when motion is detected, it is useless unless you happen to be able to drop everything and go into the app and press the record button. If someone breaks into your house - forget it, you cannot have it record them ripping off your stuff so you can give the video to the police. This makes it basically a glorified nanny cam or pet cam. And if that's all you want it for, I would get something a lot cheaper than this.

Also, at this price point, I feel like it should have an sd card slot to record motion events to, but unfortunately it does not.

These Belkin cameras seem to be released prematurely - they advertise easy setup, and sure that is true, it is easy to setup because they are so limited in functionality. I think they are planning on these cameras as part of a whole home automation system, but right now I would say they are in pre-beta stage and have a lot of work to do - they are starting out with less than other makers have had available for years. I'll be interested to see if they improve functionality of these over time.

It does deserve at least one star, because it is so simple to setup that any novice user can do it, and for those that don't want to have to mess with port forwarding, dynamic dns, etc but still want to view their camera from anywhere, then maybe this is the best option and they won't mind all the missing features.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are so many webcams out there. I could never get this one to work. I tried over and over with their iphone app and it never would move past the last stage. I am surprised because belkin typically makes good stuff. All I can say is look else where.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am very embarrassed to say I was not able to complete the setup. I was able to connect to the camera with my Android app but the app would lock up during the setup process. Sometimes it would lose connection but after finally completing the setup I went to log in using my new account created in the setup process all I got was a failure to connect.

I tired several times and even put it down for a few days then started all over again. I give up, I would return it if I could but since I got it for free now I will pass it to someone else to see if they can get it to work. Maybe the trick is that I am not using an Apple app, maybe the problem is with the Android app. I wish they had some sort of web interface to configure the camera.

Happy Shopping!

P.S. The camera is very tipsy, the base of the stand is not large enough for the off-center type stand they decided to use.
on December 1, 2013
Glitchy connectivity and terribly poor image quality combined with an overly high price make this a poor choice in my opinion.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2013
I have the Belkin Netcam non-HD which I would give 5 stars for a cam at its price. However the HD version I found to have an image that appears less sharp, colors washed out and not as good in low light in IR mode. I played with the settings and got it close to the performance of the non-HD, but this is not what I thought I was buying. Hopefully a future firmware update might fix this cam, but for now buy the non HD model.
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using a Logitech system for a few years at our office and I think I will gradually switch to these over time. This camera is cheaper and, thus far, more reliable.

I liked the ease of setting up and, like the Logitech cameras, I can view things on my iPad. The difference is that the Logitech records constantly, first to a disk and then to a hard drive on my network. This one doesn't record, but I can record while viewing the camera, with the video stored to my iPad.

At first, the Logitech scenario sounds better, except that I have found it very unreliable. If I could trade a device that sometimes recorded everything vs. a device that recorded specific things when I wanted it to, I'd choose the latter. I know that there are times when one is better than the other, but at least with the Belkin, if I check in after an alert and see something of concern, I can immediately record it (and listen if necessary), and know I have it.
on November 11, 2013
The short version:

Failures:

1. Unreliable
2. No Cloud Support / Recording / Archiving
3. Poor Light Visibility / Contrast
4. Does Not Perform To Advertised Specifications
5. Poor Support / Troubleshooting
6. Multiple Failed Setup Attempts.

The Detailed Version:

This why the camera fails:

1. It only functions properly every other attempt to view it's video stream. Most times, the app and phone require a raw shutdown and fresh restart. (iOS 7 iPhone 5).

2. No cloud support whatsoever. You may only record video as you are viewing the camera's stream. This makes the camera virtually useless as a security device.

3. When the camera does function, bright areas blind the camera. Simply explained, if the subject of the camera is not evenly lit, you will only be able to view the dim areas. Bright areas will appear as a glare leaving the user unable to view the bright lit area.

4. The camera often asks you to reduce its frame rate, so therefore it does function in accordance with its advertised technical specifications.

5. Belkin's support page is basically useless. Support articles do not exist even though links for the articles are active.

6. Set up took multiple attempts before the camera actually functioned.

Pros:

The packaging and the camera itself are aesthetically pleasing. Physically, it is a well-designed unit.

In conclusion, the camera does not function as advertised and the camera has less features than most of its closely priced competitors.

This seems to be the best product for the money. I have ordered three and will update this review accordingly. ImogenStudio QCP-A200 +Cam Pro Video Security Accessory (White)

P. S. I'm an independent consumer who evaluated this product without bias or influence.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2013
This is great in concept, but the technology isn't stable. It's hard to keep a reliable connection, especially on Android operating systems. The web site crashes frequently. Customer service couldn't get much worse. All in all it's a complete failure and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a class action lawsuit to return peoples money. This thing is a lemon. What happened to lemon laws designed to protect consumers from crappy products such as this?

I forgot to add the night vision camera feature doesn't work at all. Ever. Not under any circumstances.

What a pile of junk!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...