on April 8, 2011
I was leary about buying a wireless unit after reading several reviews about them. But this Bell computer was on sale at Target for 17.99 so I took a chance. Installed it in about 15 minutes, using the same magnetic
pick-up from my former cheap Schwinn computer. Programming was real easy. Ive gone about 50 miles on my mountain bike with it so far, and it has worked flawlessly. Reacts quickly to speed changes. The light blue back lighting is just bright enough to read your speed digits at night, but not much else unless you have great eyes. The computer has a very slight wiggle to it after snapping it in its mounting bracket, but it has never fallen off going over bumps. Love the temperature read out!. I have a helmet, tires, and a pump made by Bell and they are all top notch. Kudos to the Bell company. This computer has been a great buy so far!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2011
Unfortunately I must retract my previous rating below and bump this product down even more... After about 200 miles of riding, the cyclocomputer is now misreading or simply NOT reading mileage, and speeds are jumping erratically. On what I know is a 12 mile route, at the end of the ride the computer reads only 8 miles. During the ride, it will jump from 14 mph (which is accurate) suddenly to 3 mph to 16 mph to 0 mph, all while I am maintaining the same speed. I have tightened, adjusted, cleaned the sensors, etc. It simply seems to have a mind of its own which does not seem to work properly...
I purchased the Bell wireless cyclocomputer with calorie count today at a Walmart for $19.99. Excellent price for 15 functions!!! I was impressed, as well, that it actually requires you to input age and weight to give a more accurate calculation of calories and fat burned! The functions that the product offers definitely give this item high marks.

However, the instruction manual gets 1-star. I can only hope that I received maybe an older version and that it has since been updated, but I am doubting that. First of all, I was unable to get my battery to go in the computer piece because one of the metal prongs inside had apparently gotten bent in production. It took about 10 minutes with screwdrivers and broken fingernails to fix it. The installation trouble did not end there. I followed the instruction manual to the letter, only to find that some of the instructions did not make sense. The instructions say to install the sensor piece and magnet on the front right side of the bike. However, the illustrations show it on the front left.

Next, the steps tell you to first install the battery, then computer bracket, then the sensor, then the magnet, and that it should at this point show spinning wheels on the display when you life the front tire and spin. I tried this at least 20 different times in different positions, and never got any spinning wheels on the display to show that the sensor was placed correctly. After almost giving up and returning it, I decided to flip forward in the manual and program the computer to see what would happen (the programming information is listed after the installation steps). Voila! Once the computer was programmed, the wheels were a spinning (and by this point the sensor and magnet were actually installed on the LEFT side of the bike as depicted in the illustrations). So, for them to put the programming information before the equipment installation steps would probably be a wise idea.

Another glitch in their publication is the fact that they have failed to actually show or tell you which button is the MODE button, and which is the SET button. They just say to press them. To the best of my knowledge through trial and error, the SET button is on the left, and the MODE button is on the right. The Backlight button is on the top, which they actually did illustrate in the manual.

I have not had a chance to take a ride and check for accuracy yet, but I have had Bell products in the past and they worked fine (amazingly, their instruction manuals were equally as awful as well). I am excited about the variety of functions. As long as it works as advertised, I will be happy with the product now that it is installed. So far, it is solely the instructions that brought it down to 3-stars for me.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2011
I've had the Bell 15 Function Wireless Cyclocomputer for a couple of months now, and I must say the unit has been flawless. It is extremely accurate, and has all the functions of units costing many times more. I use this on a road bike, but not all the roads are as smooth as I would like them to be. But, even on jarring roads this cyclometer has never missed a beat. The shortcomings of the instruction manual are well documented, but other reviewers have also provided the clarification needed to make that a non-issue. Simply can't beat it for the price!

/Update/
Just wanted to provide a reliability update... I've now got over 4600 miles on the odometer with just a single battery change (both sensor and head unit). No issues whatsoever. Display got a little erratic right before the battery died, and I wish I was more proactive with the change out because your data is lost once the battery dies - leaving you to best guess at any stored data unless you planned ahead.

I changed wheelsets a while ago and the new wheels have flat bladed spokes and the magnet mounted easily and securely to them. Double check magnet - sensor alignment if you get no/erratic readings, especially "closeness", as the sensor may shift under rough conditions.

Finally, my brother has a double wireless "fancy brand" computer and when we ride together the recorded difference between the two is practically zero. Looks like others have not had the same kind of experience, but thought I'd let fellow cyclists know that there are good ones out there.
on May 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
I installed this in a fairly short amount of time. I'm mainly looking at how far I go on each ride and it has been very accurate. I like that it also tells me my fastest speed and my average speed. I would recommend this product to others due to ease of use.
on August 1, 2012
I won't describe the product in detail, discuss instructions, etc. as that has been covered extensively by other reviewers.

PROS: (1) Low price. (2) Has the all basic functions needed by a beginner to intermediate biker to track their progress / measure their improvement. (3) Reliable and consistent (at first) as long as the cyclometer is properly set up for you bike and is firmly seated into the mount.

CONS: (1) Poor build quality and plastics, especially the mount, which means this cyclometer's measurements will become unreliable in the long run. (2) The mount is only suitable for the handlebar; if you want to attach the cyclometer to the stem, you have to look elsewhere (or make modifications to the mount).

DETAIL: I've purchased 4 of these and/or their Schwinn/PTI twins, both wired and wireless models, and installed them on 4 bikes. After going thru cold winter riding season followed by hot summer rides (e.g, about a year), ALL of them started getting loose in the mount, causing unreliable readings as the cyclometer would lose then regain contact to the mount as the bicycle hit bumps in the road. Identical rides would be measured at 26.7 miles one day, 18.4 miles the next and 21.8 miles the third. Average speeds would vary by 3-4 mph from day to day, when my watch showed that I was covering a fixed course at in the same amount of time. VERY frustrating.

QUICK FIX: If you choose to buy this cyclometer and eventually start to experience reliability problems, try using a thin rubber band to hold the cyclometer firmly to the mount. After I did that the readings became reliable / consistent again and the cyclometer has yet to fall out of the mount, no matter how hard a bump I've hit.

Safe biking!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
I have 2 of these on 2 different bikes, extremely reliable. this does most things the expensive ones do for a fraction of the price. I prefer this one because it also shows the temperature. I also find this to be quite accurate, as I do the same ride several times a week and it gives me the same data for each ride. LOVE THE PRICE...

Some reviewers have stated the speed jumps erratically, this is due to the sensors on the wheel/frame being misplaced and too far away and is easy to fix with a little adjustment by moving them a little closer. Also make sure the batteries are good. I find the batteries last a very very long time. I change them about once a year on both the computer and the sensor that attaches to the frame.

pressing and holding both bottom buttons does a full reset of all data, pressing and holding just the left one for 2 seconds resets the data for that ride but retains the history.
on July 11, 2011
One week ago, I had the exact same experience as xyz123: in short, the manual writer & the illustrator were not 'on the same page' + setting-up the computer should be the 1st step (after much confusion, I finally labeled the SET / MODE buttons myself).
I'd laid my bicycle upside down to spin the front wheel while adjusting the sensor until I got the 'wheels spinning' icon & a speed read-out; but when I went out on my ride the next morning - nothing but TIME displayed. Though it was still tightly attached to the fork, I kept stopping to adjust the sensor to no avail. Even stopped to buy a new battery for the sensor because I couldn't think of another reason it would've stopped registering.
I returned the unit for a replacement; but w/this new unit - NOTHING showed on computer read-out from the get go, i.e. no way to start programming. Kept fiddleing w/the battery provided & used the fresh one I'd bought with no results, so I'm retuning this unit today. I've owned several BELL bike racks, seat bags, gloves etc. but don't think technology is Bell's strong suit.
Got on Amazon to read reviews of different models hoping to get a lead - glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing problems.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
The unit is large enough to easily read and small enough to mount in many locations. The pickup distance from the sending unit to the wheel magnet is easy to maintain. The accuracy of any odometer has more to do with how you calibrate it than anything else. It is important to ride your bike for ten wheel revolutions, measure the distance, divide by 10 and enter that value, in millimeters, as your wheel circumference. Do not enter a value from a tire size chart. The effective circumference is affected by the tire pressure,weight of the rider and variance in standard tire sizes. The last purchase makes 4 for me. I have found them all to be very reliable.
review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2014
This unit deserves more credit then it gets in here.

I was able to install and use this unit together with the Sigma wired 1609 on the same bike at the same time.

Both units performed flawlessly, they both suffer from the same thing, they both display temperatures higher then it actually is by at least 3 degrees. They both display speeds higher then the phone GPS by at least 2 mph although they both record the correct amount of millage travelled.

I have put about 100 miles on this unit and it has worked flawlessly, I have not encounter any problems with erratic behaviors or false readings, I believe must of these complaints are user errors or units that have not been properly installed.

I think that for the casual and average rider, this unit provides an excellent value for the money and intend of usage. This units comes packed with 15 functions which is a lot and most amazing, it is WIRELESS and it does work flawlessly.

Here is a list of short comings:

The bracket et for the computer by design only allows for the computer to be mounted on the handle bar not on the stem.
The bracket for the wheel magnet is fragile and doesn't have the best design, that could be improved.
The text size for the functions labels is too small and hard to read, although the actual counter text is big and legible.

The instructions are useless compared to Sigma 1609 that provides ample hits and tips with their instructions booklets.

By using the Sigma instructions, I found the correct code for the wheel size 700x23C is 2133, and for the Bell computer to match the sigma readings in terms of speed and distance reading, the Bell computer must be set for wheel size of 700x22C which has a code of 2114. By using the codes found on the Sigma instructions manual I was able to tweak the Bell computer to provide more accurate readings. So better instructions manual is a benefit of buying better brands.

In terms of esthetics, the Bell cycle computer 200 is very pleasing to the eyes, beautiful gadget indeed that looks good on the bike, well built with good craftsmanship, that performs flawlessly.

The big deal here is the wireless functions, it is so much better to have a computer without the mess of having wires hanging all over the bike frame.

I love the fact that the Bell computer offers so much value for so little money.
on August 5, 2012
i don't know what the other reviewers were talking about. mine has already lasted me a year and still works.
the speed is not always 100% accurate. but it is great for riding around the neighborhood and trails. it tells the time and the temperature and your speed.

BOTTOM LINE:
great device

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations