5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an actual parent who uses this item
Published on December 15, 2006 by R. Sommers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Carrier, but one problem caused a MILD INJURY.
Published on June 2, 2007 by Charles Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Carrier, but one problem caused a MILD INJURY., June 2, 2007
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
Overall the seat met or exceeded my expectations in terms of the installation, adjustment, and use. We bought it last fall and until last week hadn't used it in warm weather. After returning from a ride in the seat with my wife, my son had cuts/scratches on the inside of both arms above the elbow(wearing a t-shirt). The cause of the injuries was the edge of the large holes on the sides of the wrap-around cage. The molding process left very sharp edges like you might find on a plastic knife. I sanded down all the edges and its fine now, but as you can imagine, we were a little annoyed. It could have just been my unit and all others are fine, but I don't think something that can cause that type of injury should make it past quality inspection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an actual parent who uses this item, December 15, 2006
R. Sommers (Northern NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
I purchased this child carrier last year and have nothing to complain about. The seat itself is not "wobbly", it is just flexible. No safety issues there. The screws do not come loose. I have taken off this child carrier at least a dozen times to ride solo and never had a problem with screws coming loose. Being a worry wart I check the screws everytime before riding with my 3-yr old daughter and they have never once been loose. My daughter loves sitting in the back. She can see just fine. I feel much more secure with this carrier than the ones that mount in front of you. Who hasn't had a bug, leaf, or small pebble come up and hit you in the face when riding? I sure am glad it happens to me and not my daughter. Also, God forbid we were to hit anything. What if we were to flip over? I sure wouldn't want to fall on top of my daughter.

Anyway, thought I might share my experiences/opinions.

I am truely happy with this and at the current price how could you lose. I paid forty dollars more for the same model.

4.0 out of 5 stars The rack alone is worth the purchase price., December 17, 2007
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
A rear rack runs around twenty bucks. This price is really low for a rack plus a child seat (I purchased this on sale). Yes the seat does flex, but I don't necessarily see this as a safety issue for the child. The failure mode of rigid plastics like propylene is cracking, while this urethane will crease and turn white when over stressed. Anyway, which is safer in a fall is debatable and I think it would depend on the circumstances.

I will say the flexing makes balance and handling of the bicycle a bit strange. So if you are a bicyclist with iffy balance, or if you plan on high speed maneuvering, spending several times as much for a fancy seat would be worth it. If you're like me and stay around 10mph, and have decent balance, this does fine.

The mounting system worked fine on my 27" road bike. I even mounted to the thick main vertical tube instead of the seat post and it still fit fine. If you are short and have the seat in the lowest position you can try this like I did.

Bike weight balance with a 25 to 40 pound child is terrible, but this is going to be true with any rear mount seat you buy. My CroMo frame bike wants to wheelie when I get off of it! MTB or cruiser bikes will likely be better in this regard.

Mount kit comes with clear plastic sleeves to prevent paint damage, but I threw them away as my bike is already scratched to hell, I can't say how well they would have worked. The guys out there with fancy big buck bikes are probably looking at the other seat options anyway.

One star deduction for the flex, but it holds four stars for excellent value.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Girls Love It, October 1, 2007
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
Assembly was straight forward. My advise for installation is to assembly the whole base unit first (which is what I did), but don't tighten any of the bolts yet. Then bolt it to the bike frame. Now tighten all the bolts, this will make it easier so you don't have to loosen the bolts to make adjustments so that the base unit will conform to your bike frame.

The ability to remove the carrier from the base unit is nice especially if you hang your bike like I do or for days that you don't ride your child around.

Both my 2 and 4 1/2 yr old loved it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend some extra money for peace of mind., October 31, 2006
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
There's nothing I liked about this seat.

The way the rack attaches to the bicycle is clumsy.

The seat attaches to the rack with three narrow bolts, and is not as easy to attach or remove as the description would have you believe.

The seat is made of very flimsy plastic.

I rode with my daughter in this seat one time and worried the whole ride. I ordered the Topeak Babysitter afterwards. When it arrived, I removed the Bell seat and threw it in the trash. I wasn't even comfortable giving it to someone else.

The Topeak Babysitter rack attaches sensibly to the frame, the seat attaches securely to the rack, and the seat is rigid - not flimsy at all.

Do your kid a favor and spend a little money up front. You'll be glad you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, safe, affordable, November 9, 2006
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
I am enjoying this product immensely. It was fairly easy to assemble and attach to my bicycle, which means that I did it myself with minimum frustration and my husband did not have to help me. It also comes off easily so I can ride solo if I ever get to again. My son enjoys it and it keeps him buckled in securely. He's quite the escape artist so this is very good. I would recommend this product. It's worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, good value., May 21, 2007
J. Basilio (NW of Philadelphia, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
I researched a trailer and bike child carrier before making my decision.

I decided on a bike carrier since I preferred knowing if things were kicked up while riding they hit ME and not the trailer .. but it's a personal decision.

I'm happy with the Bell carrier. It's sturdy and not TERRIBLE to assemble (I have a 14.5" aluminum frame and it took a bit of convincing but it wasn't bad). I've had it out once and my son loved it .. so much that he fell asleep on it.

I'm definitely happy with my decision, and the Bell Cocoon gives a snug and safe ride for my son.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderately satisfied, August 18, 2006
KTB "KTB" (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
I bought this child seat for my three year old. The assembly took a while and the directions were hard to read. I did finally get seat assembled safety on the back of the bike. I did not find the bike seat to be a sturdy as expected, but it seems to work fine. I really like the handle bars on the front; I have my child climb up to the seat while I hold to handle to balance the bike. I also like how the seat itself wraps around all sides of my child just in case the bike would ever fall down. The bike seems unbalanced when I am putting my child in the bike, but once we get on the road everything seems to balance out fine. I will use this bike seat until my son gets too tall or too heavy for it to work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bell Cocoon Fits Electra Townie, June 7, 2009
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
This seat will fit the Electra Townie. It took a little coaxing but I installed the seat in about an hour and it looks great on the bike. The bike was expensive and I didn't want to bugger the nice paint job up, but the protective plastic frame guards that are included seem to protect the paint. My local bike shops said that no seat would fit the Electra Townie, even seats costing more than twice the price of this one. I wasn't giving up until I had at least tried to install one myself and I'm glad I did. The plastic seat is a little flexible but the rack it's mounted on is very secure. The three bolts that secure the seat onto the rack seem sufficient. There is a teather strap for peace of mind. If your being told the only option for your expensive Townie is a trailer, this is your choice. Check out my customer photo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, but a caution..., May 12, 2008
Christopher Paul (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bell Cocoon Rack Mounted Bicycle Child Carrier (Sports)
This is my first child carrier, so I don't have much in the way of standards for comparison. That said, so far I'm quite happy with the Cocoon. Assembly instructions were straightforward and well-illustrated, and took me just under two hours. I'm confident I have the unit on correctly, and it is very stable on my bike. The seat itself can be quickly attached or detached from the rack so I don't have to take the seat with me every time I ride. Most important, my daughter is safe and comfortable back there, and we both feel confident.

The caution: I have a Klein Quantum racing bike with slightly oversized aluminum tubes. The rack mountings are designed for (narrow) steel frame bikes, and also intended for hybrids or mountain bike style bikes. With the hardware the rack came with, I was just shy of being able to mount it on my bike. I went to Home Depot and bought four 3/16 X 2 bolts (and accompanying nuts) which are just slightly longer than the bolts included with the unit and made a successful installation on my racing bike. My daughter is the fastest three-year old on the bike path!