5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet
This is by far the best helmet out there. Its strong and cool. Plus with the extra cushions, your kid can grow into it. Dont get an XS, get a Small for a 20 month old toddler. They are always growing so fast, it does not make sense to get a smaller one. My son likes it, he leaves it on, its comfortable.
Published on June 17, 2011 by raqscab

2.0 out of 5 stars Shifts a lot
I purchased the small size last year for my now 3.5 year old. At the time, with the thickest padding in place, the helmet would not sit on top of her head without sliding back. Upon tightening the chin strap, the helmet would still try to slide back and it would then cause her pain at her throat.

The chin straps are also of a satin slippery finish and they...
Published 17 months ago by Kat

2.0 out of 5 stars Shifts a lot, May 28, 2013
Kat (New York City) - See all my reviews

The chin straps are also of a satin slippery finish and they loosen after a half hour or so of wear. Last year I thought that perhaps she was just too small, but now one year later the helmet still fits her the same and still has the same issues. She is an average sized kid with average sized head so there is no special concern here.

So, I recently bought myself a Bern helmet and found that it fit better than any helmet I have myself owned, and now I am going to get my kid a Bern youth size. I am hoping it won't look like a "spaceship landed on top of their head" like this Bell helmet does.

While the two padding sizes that come with this Bell helmet are in theory a good idea, it seems however that the paddings and the weight of the helmet are not well placed. I like that the Bern helmet simply comes with an adjustable velcro strap in the back (much like a baseball cap) with which you can tighten the helmet in place. It also wraps around the skull as opposed to sitting on top of the head like the Bell appears to do.

Update: I did get the Bern Nina helmet and found it to be a vast vast improvement over this Bell helmet. No comparison at all. The Bern sits firmly on her head and does not move at all, and like the adult version it has the adjustable velcro strap in the back - smart. I also like the style better, its more 1950's Italian motorist than spaceship on top of head. The best part is that the helmet has options for winter padding and summer visor, which is a huge bonus. I am very happy to get rid of the Bell helmet now that we have the Bern, and my daughter is no longer complaining about wearing a helmet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet, June 17, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizing and Review on Bell Fraction Helmets, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Bell Fraction Youth Multi-Sport Helmet (Sports)
EDIT: THREE years later, at the age of six, and my daughter is still wearing this helmet with room to grow. I am thrilled that this will be a helmet that will last her for many years! /EDIT

I wanted to buy this helmet for my 3 year old daughter, but didn't know whether to get a small or X-small. So I found a website which gives the head measurements that correspond to the helmet sizes. Then I just Googled a centimeters to inches conversion site.

Sm: 51-56cm (20.1 inches - 22.0 inches)
Md: 54-59cm (21.3 inches - 23.2 inches)
Lg: 58-63cm (22.8 inches - 24.8 inches)

Going by the other sizes, I can GUESS that an X-small is probably going to be around 19 - 21 inches. My daughter's head measures at 50.8cm so I got a size Small so she can grow into it.

I can't rave about it enough. She got the pink helmet with the blossoms on the back. It has white straps. The pink is a bit of a richer, darker pink and not as pastel pink as the picture would suggest. I am very satisfied with the color, and that it isn't Pepto-pink.

The helmet's fit is *exact* in regards to the cm. There are three sizes of padding: thick, medium/normal, and thin. The helmet comes with the medium/normal padding already installed. When she put the helmet on with the installed padding, it was just a tiny bit too big. So I put the thickest padding in and the fit is *perfect*. They also include thinner padding for when the little noggin becomes not-so-little. The velcro which holds the padding in is strong and does a very good job of keeping the padding in place during play.

The adjustability on the chin straps is VERY versatile. There are three different places where you can tighten or loosen it to fit: the chin strap, and one on each side below the ears. I had to tighten it at least four inches, and the strap doesn't look any thicker and is not cumbersome (there are little circular bands into which you can tuck the loose-hanging straps). I didn't find it hard to adjust at all, but it is done in a way where my daughter can't just reach up and loosen it or mess with it to make it dangerous.

She looks super cute in this particular style, as well. I was afraid that it would be too chunky-looking and overwhelm her head, but after seeing how cute it is on her, I'm very glad I went with the Bell Fraction for my little 36 month old. I couldn't be happier. It is a high-quality helmet. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

5.0 out of 5 stars x-small perfect for a 19month old, June 16, 2013
ryan (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bell Fraction Youth Multi-Sport Helmet (Sports)
I measured my son's head to be ~19+" and I was leaning towards purchasing the small size helmet. I'm glad amazon was sold out and I was forced to purchase the x-small.

The helmet comes with 3 sets of velcro-attached pad sets and he's using the set for the smallest head size.

He loves wearing it, often running around happily even if he's not using his bike. The only downside is the excessive amount of chin strap, I can't imagine even when his head is at it's largest he'll ever need all that strap length.

Extremely cool color and design. He hasn't fallen in it yet, so I don't know how it protects, but he has chucked it across the room and it seems tough and able to withstand the emotional vagaries of a 19month old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool helmet, August 19, 2013
jenn25 (new york city) - See all my reviews
I love my cool helmet, fits very good, the mate color it's nice and Paul frank is one of my fav designers

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring My Bell, January 25, 2013
This is a great helmet. It has a comfortable, secure fit and stays put. Not only does it protect from brain damage, but it looks cool doing while doing its job. Our son loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet!, March 26, 2012
This is a great helmet. I bought it for my son's 5th birthday and the small fits him great with some room to grow. Awesome graphic options and I let him choose which graphic he wanted so we're both happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, July 22, 2014
We use this helmet for our 11 month old. Her head measures 18". The helmet comes with 2 foam velcro inserts. The small size is in the helmet. We had to use the puffier, larger velcro insert in order for the helmet to fit our daughter...now almost 12 months. It works well, but is definitely bulky for a 1 year old head. It it pretty big all the way around. Although big, I wish it would come further down on the forehead. Overall, it looks good and seems to be really well made and durable

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits great and cute too, October 24, 2010
My 5-year old has a smaller than average sized head so finding a proper fitting helmet has been difficult. We purchased this helmet in an extra-small, and the fit was great! She loved the purple and green flower design too! Not too "babyish"-- all the smaller sized helmets at the stores have preschool characters on them. It appears to be well constructed. The foam inside the helmet is pretty thick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great helmet, January 27, 2014
Great helmet. Grandson loves it. Great forehead protection. Looks good. Has pads to adjust for growing heads. I would recommend. You get what you pay for on this item.

Bell Fraction Youth Multi-Sport Helmet