5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!
Published on September 22, 2010 by H. Beals

1.0 out of 5 stars DEFECTIVE or FRAUDULENT? or BOTH?
Published on November 17, 2010 by Larry Deemer

1.0 out of 5 stars DEFECTIVE or FRAUDULENT? or BOTH?, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Bell + Howell 50104 Motion Activated Ultrasonic Solar Powered with Rechargeable Batteries (Lawn & Patio)
MINUS 0NE STAR if "both"; ZERO STARS if fraudulent; ONE STAR if defective. There are a lot of negatives about this intrusive animal deterrent. Where shall I start? First off, this is not a BELL&Howell product: B&H sold the use of their name, as they have done with numerous other products, apparently without retaining any quality control. The "manufacturer" is elusive at worst and difficult to reach at best, somewhere tucked away in the New York area without a Toll-free number and a regular toll number found only after extensive research (which they habitually do not answer per lots of complaints on the net).

THE PRODUCT ITSELF? Everything seems to work up to the DETERRENT part: batteries, red detection LED, ground stake (I did not test the solar array). Initial problem (and the one that sent me researching auditory ranges of animals) is that the unit offers no way of verifying that a high frequency noise is even being emitted. I found several university-based research reports on the auditory capabilities of common wild and domestic animals, most of which have hearing ranges in the ultra sonic spectrum; exceptions include elephants and DEER. Deer auditory ranges overlap with that of humans and max out below the top of the human sensitivities (around 18k hertz) and are centered around 6k hertz). So, if deer can hear it, so can we. I heard nothing coming from the unit's voicebox; and neither did the local domestic animals (3 dogs and 4 cats): NO REACTION WHATSOEVER and certainly no hint that whatever was emitted from this green box reached STARTLING or DETERRENT levels. I mention deer specifically because the listing on Amazon (and other mail order sources) includes deer, the box lists deer, and deer are my particular problem animal. BUT as far as I can tell from this one unit, most of the animals listed would not be deterred by this unit because there was nothing being emitted that would warrant their slightest attention or curiosity much less revulsion. Would even a functioning unit send out a strong enough signal to STARTLE? And for how many encounters would the unit elicit a startling effect before the intruders became habituated to (or de-constructed) the little green box? I like the idea behind this product but several additional features (besides an actual fear inducing noise generator) would make it more functional: 1) a frequency dial for the user to choose a frequency range more closely matching the local varmits and 2) a volume control to match the target animals and the environment in which the unit is deployed and 3) a selectable menu of noise patterns (continuous, bursts, both). And at a reasonable price ($25 sounds about right).

THANKS TO AMAZON for their RETURN & FULL REFUND policy: saved the day (but not my vegetation). I had a grand plan to order 3 or 4 more of these units (and at one point even thought about keeping the one unit and just not ordering the rest) but after not being able to confirm that it had even a slight chance of slowing down the parade of deer (or the occasional raccoons & neighbor's pets) through my yard (the dog/cat test) I decided to send this single unit back and nix the whole grand scheme.

SUMMMAY: Too many IFs and ???s and one known dealbreaker: ultrasonic noisemakers do not work on DEER (or elephants); would work on other common animals whether intruding OR not; sonic ones would disturb you (and your human and non-human neighbors). A minor (but disappointing) series of CATCH 22s at best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bell & Howell Animal Repeller Bad News, August 21, 2010
This was the second such unit purchased within a month. First unit activated at 3 feet not 30 ft. Ultrasonic tweeter totally inoperative as evidenced by my young dog, within 2 feet of the unit, not responding at all!
Second unit activated at 10 feet not 30. Tweeter activates but same dog 5 feet away perked up her ears but was not "repelled"!
I believed there is a design defect and should not be sold as advertised. Both units will be returned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, August 20, 2010
I purchased two of these because of the size of area I needed covered in my backyard from rabbits. The units had ZERO effect. I became so desparate, I placed BOTH units within 7 feet of where at least one rabbit would congregate daily and eat and urinate on my lawn. I look out of my window the next day, and there are TWO rabbits in the area, and these units aren't having ANY effect whatsoever. They are worthless. I'm about to process my 30 day money back guarantee NOW! If it works...it sure isn't on rabbits. WORTHLESS!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is junk, October 15, 2010
Bought this to keep raccoons away from my wife's pond. Looks like it advertised the pond instead. Woke up this morning and found all four of her fish partially eaten laying on the side of the pond. Don't waste your money!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, September 1, 2010
Frances H. Mullane (Jupiter, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought these to keep away raccoons. I set them out and that night raccoons dug for grubs so close to these devices that they bumped into one of them almost knocking it down. this happened again the next night. Since they say it will repel dogs and cats I took my 11 pound dog out there.. He practically ran up to one of then and started to hike his leg. He went to the other one and was trying to lick it. I brought them to the house and inside the house put them down and my cats walked right past them within 6". I returned them today! Don't waste your money cause they won't give you the high shipping costs back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product stopped working in less than 3 weeks!, November 21, 2010
The concept and premise of the product seemed like a great idea, but I was skeptical of its effectiveness. I decided to give it a try and did not really notice a decrease in stray and neighbor's dogs/cats coming by the yard. I noticed in about two weeks that the sensor stopped working, rendering the product useless. It's being returned to Amazon right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally worthless, do not buy!!!!!, September 14, 2010
S.T. (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I have had this product for 3 weeks. The light came on the first time I set it up but never again. The stray cats that I had bought this to deter are prancing right in front of the unit. Don't waste your money. Very dissapointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 20, 2010
I had great hopes with this product. I needed to repell dogs from my yard, arround my car. It doesn't. Even my daughters' dog just sits right in front of the "repeller" and doesn't show any signs of discomfort or desire to leave the area. I bought two units, placed them on both sides of my car, neither seems to have any impact om dogs...

If I can figure out how to get my money back, I will.....

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!, September 22, 2010
H. Beals "Nana" (Everett, Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
During the year and most especially in the Summer we have a probem with birds and squirrels in our water fountain. It was at the point that I had to change the water and clean the fountain every day. The fountain is such an attraction to my grandchildren so I knew something had to be done. I saw an advertisement on television for the Bell & Howell Motion Activated Solar Powered Animal Repeller. I went directly to my main source, AMAZON.COM and found it. Since I have an established account with Amazon, it made it much easier for me to order without any worry of giving out my credit card information to an unknown source. To make a long story short--clean water fountain, no bird or squirrel droppings, hanging tomatoe plant is squirrel free. Fall is here in New England so the Bell and Howell will be put away until next Spring. It is time put up the bird feeder and invite the birds back. Great product!

1.0 out of 5 stars I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS EVEN WORKS!!, January 24, 2011
This was a waste of money for me. I can't even tell if it is working or not. It is an imported piece of junk, I believe.

Rate and Discover Movies