Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on September 16, 2007
I bought this product after I found a mouse in my apartment. You see I am extremely allergic to mice and can't deal with even one or two creeping about. That said I still don't want to torture, or poison the little things. I feel a bit like a bartender after hours, (i.e. "they don't have to go home but they can't stay here.") So I read some online information and bought this product. I wasn't sure about it at first because I does make an audible wining/clicking sound (easy enough I just put it in the bathroom so that I only hear it when I'm in there). But because it works through the wiring of you apartment/home it works just the same no matter were you put it. With in an hour I started seeing little black house spiders making a mass exodus from my bathroom. So I thought great it really works. Now it's four days later and I have not seen hide nor hair (or in this case mouse turds) of the little furry critters either. After talking to my neighbor who are still having mouse problems I can only surmise that it is this lovely product which drove the little guys from my apartment. I told them to go buy this product that way they don't have to hurt the mice, just drive them away.
on September 19, 2007
The product may or may not work. I do not know the answer because the side effects were too unpleasant to leave it plugged in for long. The frequency range it claims to operate under is well beyond what humans can hear, but the unit additionally makes a piercing high pitched whining worthy of making ones ears (and eyes!) hurt. It was certainly well within my range of hearing. I could hear the sound throughout my house, regardless of how far from the unit I walked.

Also having researched many models and brands of this product before purchasing, I felt comfortable in its reassurance that domestic animals would not be affected by this product. (Most similar products make this claim.) For this unit however, the promise turned out to be outrageously false. From the second the product was plugged in, my cat responded as if being attacked by auditory ghosts: crouching low to the ground, defensively spinning, darting about the house, dodging in random directions and doubling back on himself... seemingly unable to escape.

Within 20 minutes of receiving the product, I had already packed it back in its box and was standing in line at the post office to send it right back.

This product may deter pests, but it will also drive off family, friends, pets, and quite possibly your sanity.

I'd recommend looking into similar products with a higher price tag.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2009
I purchased this to keep the recent rash of spiders at bay. This year has seen a larger than usual population of spiders in and out of our house.

I placed the unit in an area that seemed to be the most popular with our arachnid guests and within the first week, all of the locations where spiders had built webs were bug free. There has been the occasional spider within 10 feet of the unit, but the overall problem has been thwarted.

Our biggest problem at this house has been ants and we have had a pest control company on the payroll for the last two years. I let them go this last week, and now the real test will begin. If the ants are kept at bay into winter, I think I will be buying a couple more of these units.

As for the other comments I had read here before purchasing:

1) Our cat has no problem with the unit.

2) The clicking noise is very unnoticeable. It is not loud at all, but I can see how it might be bothersome if it was in your bedroom and you live in a very quiet area.

3) Like I said, there have been occasional spiders who had no problem with the unit, but they have been the exception to the rule.

Hope that helps.
VINE VOICEon July 14, 2009
Shortly after we received our Bell & Howell Electromagnetic Ultrasonic Pest Repeller, we heard a pest exterminator on the radio. He claimed that these units are illegal for sale in Indiana because they do not work.

Every summer we have had constant invasions by large black ants, centipedes and millipedes. Until now, that is. Since installing our B&H Pest Repeller, we have had only one black ant (who may have been there for a while) and no other insects in our house. When we look out on our deck next to the room where our pest repeller is installed, we occasionally see hundreds of black ants wandering around frantically as if they are drunk, but none have entered the house.

We are firm believers in this product, and would not want to be without it.Bell + Howell Electromagnetic Ultrasonic Pest Repeller
on November 30, 2007
So far so good! Ever since i received this device and plugged it in, i haven't seen any signs of mice at all. I use to hear them in my attic but now i sleep peaceful. No more distrubing little feet going across the ceiling. In the review i read it said that it distrubed animals, well, i have a Chow and it has not affected her at all. I have one upstairs and one downstairs. I would recommend this product to others.
on August 18, 2009
I had 5 of these in my garage. The rats moved in, nested and ripped apart things. One of these do-nothing rodent attracters was plugged in 2 feet away. I took them back and, because I bought them at [...], I got my money back. Don't waste your money on these. Buy a heavy duty one.
on October 9, 2009
I have had this product in my apt now for several weeks and I still see bugs. I haven't seen any spiders, but crickets and beetles are still around. Also, the noise that the machine makes is a little annoying. I had to keep it in my bathroom with the door closed all the time.
on May 22, 2011
I bought one of these about a year ago from Amazon. I wanted to wait to write the review, giving it a fair chance or succeed or fail.

End result, it works very well. The year before, we had an on-going battle with spiders, (we live in the country). It wasn't uncommon to be killing 8-10 spiders a day, every day. Using bug sprays helped, but the spiders were every where.

When we first plugged it in, for 2 or 3 weeks, we didn't notice any difference, but then, the spiders were every where in the sub area to the attic and all spaces in between.

After a couple months, I happened to realize, I hadn't been on this spider battle in a while.

By 6 months, we seldom saw a spider at all.

Now, perhaps 1 spider every couple weeks.

So, I'd have to say it is working very well. No difference in seasons, it seems to be totally affective. One unit covers the whole house which surprised me.
on August 6, 2013
I was given one of these units as a gift. I took it to my weekend country home, since we had been having a problem with a mouse in the house. During the weekend my teenager refused to sit in the same room as the plugged in 'repeller' because she could hear it pulse on and off, and said it hurt her ears.

I plugged it back in before we left, and left 3 piles of sunflower seeds at varying distance from the unit. When we returned the following weekend, all the seeds were gone, and found a pile of the shells stashed under a sofa pillow. Even the seeds I set directly under the unit had been taken!

Interestingly side note though: We have quite a scorpion problem in our area, usually seeing 2-4 scorpions every weekend. This time there were none. Perhaps it works for bugs?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2012
What can you say went something works the way it's suppose too! IT'S GREAT. NO Bugs NO Pests. Money well spent.