Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on January 15, 2007
Nice compact size-can be moved easily. Does freshen the air in the room noticeably. On whisper setting is almost silent. On Turbo setting can be heard but in no way impinges on life, maybe would sleeping. Does shoot out air but does not "blow" with any force. Over time, like a day, all the air in our 20'x20' living area changes. Did have a noticeable plastic like new odor the first few days of use which wore off. Haven't had any build up on the collection grid in these 2 weeks, but it would be easy to clean. Now after several months of use I change my 4 stars to 1. The low setting quit. The ozone emitted gave us headaches and irritated lungs. Ozone is toxic. I returned the product for a refund.
1010 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2009
We bought this ionizer for our home. It worked great the first few days, then started flickering on and off. It has not worked properly since.
on May 27, 2007
I ordered this unit, not expecting to much considering its size and price, and the name, but i was, to say the least, pretty impressed. On silent it does not move air, period, and there is a "hisssss" that can be annoying. On "turbo" i.e. a fan moving the air, there isn't a hiss and it is fairly quiet, i couldn't hear it over my ceiling fan. After about a day i opened it up and looked at the collection filter, and as i suspected i didn't see anything, but i took a damp clean white paper towel and wiped it off, and lo and behold there was actually stuff that came off. I was suprised, and thought it might have just been dust and stuff that were there already, so i put the filter back in and a couple days later i cleaned it again, and there was more. The only reason i give this a 4 is because on mine the switch broke and i could not turn it off.
on October 23, 2010
It worked for 3 days and never worked again. The cover was extremely difficult to remove. I thought Bell and Howell would be a dependable brand name. I would rather have donated $28 to charity than the garbage can.
on November 23, 2010
It worked more or less ok for a few months except for the dang ozone smell you get sometimes, and then a few days ago I decided to clean the inside tube but after I reinserted it the thing stopped working. They designed this so poorly that the switch to turn it on is embedded with the button to take the removable panel off so any slight force will break the whole darn thing.

I was close to order an oreck one for cheap but decided against it and cancelled the order after learning you have to buy new filters. Was deciding to get the XL model but learned those things are garbage as well after reading the negative reviews.

I have severe allergies so i guess I'll figure out other homeopathic remedies to relieve my symptoms.
on August 14, 2012
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! I ordered two from another online company. The first did not work at all. The second worked for about two hours. I had to pay shipping to haul off these pieces of junk, and considered that money well spent. I have little to no hope for recouping my money. Shady product, shady company.

Instead of buying this piece of junk, donate the price to charity. Will never buy a Bell and Howell product again. Absolutely, positively, these ionizers are pieces of crap!
on December 16, 2011
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PEOPLE! The dark stuff builds up after time. It says weeks. Mine is about a month. It works but has to build up to appear as gook.
Gets rid of smells in my studio. Very quiet even on turbo.
Bunch of nitpicks on here..
on July 15, 2007
AFTER JUST THREE DAYS OF THIS MACHINE, I HAVE NO NOSE CONGESTION, NO COUGHING AND NO EVIDENCE OF ASTHMA...I AM NOT GETTING OUT OF BREATH OR WHEEZING. I FEEL TWENTY YEARS YOUNGER AND FREED OF THAT HANDICAP. SO I AM BUYING A SECOND ONE FOR ANOTHER PART OF THE HOUSE. THANK YOU!
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2012
this is the second unit I've purchased. The first one quit after two weeks, and the second one made it for a full month before the unit would not work on 'high'. Attempts to return the product have been fruitless. I would NOT suggest this to anyone and am extremely disappointed.
on March 23, 2011
I purchased this air purifier from another online company and it was awful. The fan did not blow correctly and when it was turned off and turned back on again - nothing. These are poorly made. I was so surprised because Bell & Howell is "supposedly" a good company. Save your money on these and buy a more expensive brand. Do your research and check those online reviews - they are very helpful.