5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisngly Great!
Published on July 17, 2010 by Suzanne Shifflet

3.0 out of 5 stars Not actually controversial...
Published on September 19, 2010 by Jenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Not actually controversial..., September 19, 2010
This review is from: Bella Should Have Dumped Edward: Controversial Views on the Twilight Series (Paperback)
This book, written by the creator of the website [...] and the fans who wrote in, is a collection of "controversial" questions about the Twilight series answered by the people who love it. Unfortunately, the questions asked aren't very controversial. "Which Twilight saga movie character is least accurately cast?" "Should Summit Entertainment have replaced Rachelle Lefevre under the given circumstances?" Um...why does that matter?? The answers given by the fans tended to be all the same, too. The title question got a resounding "no," as was to be expected (for the record, I say "yes!"). There were a couple questions which could be considered somewhat controversial - "What is one major downfall of the series?" had a nice variety of answers, one of which was, ironically, "the obsessive fans." I was mildly disappointed by this book because I found the title so misleading. But upon closer inspection, it's basically exactly what it claims to be - fan perspectives on Twilight, written as you'd find on a website. It was a very quick, light read, and obviously only recommended for fans of the Twilight series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, No Controversy Here, September 27, 2010
At first glance of this book I was expecting something a bit deeper delving into the Twilight books. Something along the lines of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy" or "Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost Shepherds, and Space Hookers In Joss Whedon's Firefly". What I got was a smattering of various fans views on different questions such as "which vampire power would you rather have" and "which movie has stayed truer to the book".

Each section is divided up by the question presented. We are given a few answers and the fan's reasons of why they chose the way they did. At the end of each section we are given "The Final Call" which I expected to be the answer chosen by most of the Twilight fans that responded to the question. Instead, we are given the authors choice. So basically this book is like having a conversation with other Twilight fans about what you like, don't like, and think about the books and movies. I love Twilight, but I don't feel the need to own everything with the word Twilight written on it, so maybe that's why this book isn't for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one, unless..., June 4, 2011
I'm not the target demographic (older guy seeking to understand the great appeal of Twilight) for either the Twilight Saga or this book, but I can say that I found this book disappointing. Possibly, this was my fault for not reading all the existing reviews before I bought it. The book is a summation of the answers to the questions from a survey or sureys that the author ran on her prominent Twilight-related website. The book is divided into sections which are each devoted to one of the uestions. At the end of each section, the author awards herself the last word.
There's not very much analysis here, nor any quantitative reporting about percentage breakdown of total opinions. All four books are covered, but only two of the movies, as Eclipse had apparently not been released at the time the book went to bed.
Perhaps the best feature of the book for me was the occasional original opinion expressed in one of the cited comments from the website, and this may make the book worthwhile for you, especially if you're a "twi-hard".

2.0 out of 5 stars received for LibraryThing's Early Reviewers, October 9, 2010
The title is a little misleading- it's not controversial at all, it's a collection of short essays from die-hard fans of the series about different questions.

Questions like:
If you could be a character in Twilight, who would you be?
Who was your favorite character?
Which movie was the best adaptation of the book?

...and so on. Not really hard-hitting, and they don't discuss any of the really controversial issues that arose from the books. No talk of Edward's disturbing creeper habits. Nothing about Bella's manipulation of Jacob. It's all very light, even the discussions that go slightly deeper into opinions on imprinting and the way Jacob's personality changed when he became a werewolf.

As someone who loves the Twilight books but still maintains a distance from the obsession, this was not the book for me. Yes, I love the books, but I also am well aware of the unhealthy relationships portrayed and am amused to no end by the purple prose.

If you love Twilight and want to read the positive gushing of your fellow fans, this is a great book for you... for those of you with a bit more skepticism- just re-read the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars For fans of the series, January 1, 2011
The title is really misleading. I assumed that the book was going to be more provocative and offer insightful criticism and engagement of the series. Instead, this is part of the fandom literature in the blogosphere that has now been published. Before I sound really negative, I need to give props to the editor and the others involved. This germinated from a website started by the editor, when she was in junior high school.

That said, there is nothing controversial in the book. It is as positive and glowing of the series as _A New Dawn Is_. There is very little critical reflection about problems in the series. However, the anthology does offer commentary on characters and the plot, which is useful for interested readers. Again, this book is for fans of the series and can be completed in one sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisngly Great!, July 17, 2010
After reading this book I was very impressed with the way the author organized her thoughts and the thoughts of many Twilight Saga fans. When I was given this book as a gift my friend described it as a Q&A book. I dreaded reading the gift because I feared the author would have filled the pages with her opinion and only her opinion. I was nicely taken by surprise when I saw other fans input. From there I just sat down and read, in fact I read the entire book in one sitting. As I turned the pages, I genuinely enjoyed how the author was able to incorporate many different opinions to answer her thought provoking questions. Not only did she organize the input well, but it seems she selected each passage with care in order to provide her reader with a holistic view. Each question she posed was answered by a wide variety of outlook on the subjects. Any Twilight fan should pick up this book because it gives in-depth analysis on topics over several parts of the saga. In fact, I think it is important for fans to read this book because it will provide them with questions and answers they, themselves, have not even considered.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., December 10, 2011
So, aside from copying the book "Harry Potter Should Have Died", this book doesn't really have anything going for it. The questions aren't controversial at all, save for maybe one or two. I mean, it's nearly impossible to even spark any controversy when Twilight gives you such a linear plot to work with in the first place. 0 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Good insights, but needs a little more reviewers, August 14, 2011
Although I like the Twilight Series, I must say that I am not a HUGE fan. I picked up this book in part to satisfy my own curiousity about the series, but also in part to get a better understanding of WHY ON EARTH the twilight phenomenon pushed vampires over the cultural edge and into EVERY teenage book (and many adult romance books) possible! Sure vampires were around, but they were never so proliferious in stories until Twilight.

I appreciate that the author of the book took reviews from true fans of the books, right off the site. I think she did research reading all the reviews and it shows. I think she had a good mix of arguments and answers to questions that the fans propose. And she also had a great bunch of questions, such as "What character from the book was best portrayed in the movie", "What is the best/worst thing about Twilight", and "What if Edward was the human and Bella was the vampire"? The responses were pretty thorough and educated, well, for 14 year olds! Meaning... Even though some of the fans that wrote answers to the questions were only 14 or 15, they were very articulate and persuasive in their responses. So that's good! I also like that the fan's countries of origin, and ages were diverse.

However, I wish the author would have chosen more fans to include in the answers. I think Rachel from Canada appeared in almost every answer, and many others were repeated. This is not to say that their answers were bad, it's just that I wish I got to hear more people out. Also, I felt that the book was a little bit short. I would have liked a few more reposes per question and also a little more from the author herself. In her "Final Call" sections at the end of every questions she did a good job summarizing fans' responses, but she never really spoke her OWN mind. Such as, why she thought this or that was a bad idea, not just that it WAS a bad idea.

I recommend this book to Twilight fans big and small, old and young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the vampire fan!, July 9, 2010
This is a great companion book for anyone who loves the Twilight Saga. Insightful and entertaining, it's a light, fun read and would make a great gift for Bella fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bella Should Have Dumped Edward Valid and Invalid Points, July 1, 2010
Ishtar (Pokemon-land) - See all my reviews
After reading this book, I think that there were some very valid and invalid points in this book. Overall this book expresses very in detail responses to the various questions posed. This book was a very quick and enjoyable read, but I think it has swayed me from passionately disliking the Twilight saga to sort of being neutral to the saga.

I think that anything below this point has some spoilers to this book and the Twilight saga.

Some of the most valid points I found were varied about the insane fandom, plot lines and imprinting. Some of the other issues presented felt a little like filler, but also had some importance. I found it interesting that Eclipse and Breaking Dawn had such varied responses about the importance of the overall saga.

It is well known on the internet and news media about how varied the fans are. There are fans out there that have literally tried to stalk and harass the actors of the movies, or some of them would collect anything with the actor on/in it. There are fans that have wept over the trailers of the movies. And there are fans out there that will drive non-readers insane over their constant referencing of the saga; however it is also stated that some of the more insane Twi-hards would possibly attack the non-fans and Twilight readers alike for critism over their favorite book. As one person stated in the interviews, Twilight would probably remembered as a fad for driving people nuts.

One of the interviews stated that the plot lines of the Twilight Saga are one of the downfalls of it. As someone who has read the Twilight Saga plus the Bree Tanner book, I agree completely to that. Whenever Stephenie Meyer got to an interesting point, it quickly disappeared as the main objective of the series is a love story between Edward and Bella. It offers very little to the varied vampire books, and as a result the saga is very predictable to experience readers of the genre. However the author of this book had stated that "the inaccurately negative light" came from the critics never reading the books; I think that even if the critics haven't read the books some of the cliched plot points would have made it easy to guess what the series was about. A lot of the so-called "negative light" was very accurate as far as some of the critics and non-fans are concerned, and most people who hate Twilight have read at least part of the first book.

The impriting thing was also one of the most controversial debates. Some people viewed it as romantic, but I don't think the realized that some of the people that the wolves imprinted on were very young. This was kind of squick worthy.

Bella Should Have Dumped Edward: Controversial Views on the Twilight Series