5.0 out of 5 stars awesome garrison boots
Published 21 months ago by Jozsef C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great
Published 13 months ago by Matthew Borgman

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome garrison boots, December 22, 2012
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
Got these to rotate with my S2Vs for a lighter change and I was happily surprised at how light and comfortable they really are, they're actually lighter than my running shoes. I had some discomfort at the heels the first day but they've been a perfect fit since. I've worn them every day for 2 months now, I've marched 100 miles at least and I can see them going another year easy.
My only worry is that while it's to be expected with a minimalist-size sole they are less substantial than I'm used to, so definitely not something for regular wear.

-6 month update
I probably wore these harder than I should have, but the heel finally wore through to the footbed, 2 eyelets popped out, and the stitching on one eyelet panel is coming off. The leather itself is in good shape though.

So FYI to those who read reviews these are good boots the soles just wear out quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boot if you modify it a bit :), February 13, 2014
Length:: 3:56 Mins

The Tactical Research (Belleville) TR-101 boot is a true minimalist boot. Provided that you prepare the boot by trimming the laces, installing a shock absorbing insole, and removing the heel cup, it can serve excellently as a field boot in the most demanding environments. Watch my video for tips on how to prepare this boot for field use ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
I've had these about a week now. Definitely the lightest boot i've owned, and perfect for my garrison wear. I love the sole, excellent grip, wide toe box and nice overall feel around the foot. Size about 1/2 size up from your issue boot (same size as my running shoes). Main complaint, as a couple others have noted, the lateral part of both ankles digs into my malleolus (ankle bone). I've had to wear some moleskin and trying to break that part of the boot so it's not as bad. If not for that issue, I would have given 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Belleville, get rid of the ankle support!, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
For some reason, Belleville decided to add this bizarre padded ankle support to these boots, and the way these boots fit, the ankle support pinches and rubs on my ankle resulting in soreness, abrasions and blisters. I thought I just needed to break these boots in, but months have passed and every time I wear them I end up with abraded ankle bones, and I'm only wearing them in my office! The only way I can stand it is to use duct tape on my ankle bones. I wonder if others are having this problem.(Please reply if you are) It's not like I have freakish ankle bones or anything. If I can ever get these boots broken in I think they'll be great. The Vibram part is wonderful. It's the Belleville parts that suck. What's up with the tongue sticking way out of the top of the boot?

I imagine there was debate at Belleville about putting the ankle support feature on these boots. Minimalist boots shouldn't provide ankle support. The whole idea of minimalist footwear is that our feet and ankles are strengthened by not having our feet in a cast all day. Besides, the last combat boot that actually provided decent ankle support was the Altama black leather combat boot that was issued in the 1980s. Boots with canvas and nylon uppers don't provide decent ankle support. So what we have is a compromise that provides the worst of both worlds.

Belleville, thanks for trying to make a minimalist boot. It just needs some product improvement and you'll have a great boot. I promise to buy the next version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minnimalist boots, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
I normally wear SV2s but tried these. I run with a zero drop shoe for PT so I was already used to a lower heal toe drop. they are fine for garrison and lighter field work however I did a ruckmarch this morning and had a problem with my ankle support. the heal toe drop and lack of cushion didnt effect me. i laced my boots as tight as i could an still they were not supportive enough. if you ruck in these i would recomend wrapping your ankles or soomething. or just ruck with a different boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light boot, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
I purchased this boot not that long ago and have since grown quite fond of it.

I previously had purchased the Rocky C4T, Blackhawk Desert Ops and the TR393's. These are by far the lightest boots I have owned. They also feature quite rugged construction. In comparison to the other boots, they stand tall in durability. When compared to the standard issue Belleville boots these are miles ahead in terms of overall comfort. In my experience the Rocky's are #1 for comfort, second comes the 393's, the TR101's were more comfortable than the Blackhawks but all were far ahead of the standard issue boots.

As for usability they have excellent grip on dry surfaces (haven't had a chance to try them in the wet) as well as feature one of the better lightweight soles I've seen. Unlike the Rocky's and the TR393's they do not feature a mixed rubber/foam sole. It's one solid piece toe to heel. Granted I have spent most of my time in them on hard surfaces they seem to find off-road treks no more a challenge than carpet.

Similarly to other wearers I've had a little wear on the heel but nothing to extreme. Once broken in they became quite comfortable. For extended trips on paved surfaces I would either recommend you find some inserts or perhaps a pair of C4's for the comfort factor. If you or anyone you know is a fan of minimalist footwear of any type (even old canvas style shoes) I highly recommend picking these up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit and Ground Feel, May 11, 2013
I was a little conserned about the souls wearing out quickly or the boot not offering enough support. love the support and we will see about them wearing out but they have held up well so far. I did a 12 Mile Ruck in the with a 75 lbs ruck didnt have any problems. Although I must admit they do look a little goofy compared to your triditional military boot. Also as many "barefoot" minimalist runner alread know you will feel the rocks when you step on them so choose your footing wisely.

4.0 out of 5 stars everything I was looking for, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
I've had these boots for about six weeks now and I'm a big, big fan. They've solved a significant concern of mine - what's the point of running in minimalist shoes if I have to wear non-minimalist boots most of the day?

I wear a 9.5 and didn't have to size-up or size-down for these. The 9.5s fit great. It took about 10 days to break them in, but now they feel wonderful. They are light and flexible and everything I was looking for. If you're military and you're serious about minimalist footwear then this needs to be your next purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall great minimalist boot, November 29, 2013
This review is from: Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot (Apparel)
So far, I have been using these boots for 9 months into this deployment. I always hated the fact that I had to wear boots most of my waking hours. I normally run in Skora zero drop shoes or flat sandles when I can. Anything with a large heel feels awkward!

So besides the zero drop, I love how light and flexible these boots are! The soles are flexible (aka, thin) and can be rolled up. You can always add a insert if you need some extra padding or to keep your foot from feeling the heat from the roads during the day. These boots ran true to size for all other Belleville and Rocky boots I have worn.

A few have complained about ankle support, but frankly, no boot really has any true ankle support. But who wants to wear a cast anyway? I generally tighten the lower section (around the foot itself) and then lossen up the lacing going up past he ankle because I do not like how boot impede my natural ankle movement.

My job is staff job in the HQ's in theater, so other than the training before my deployment, these boots have seen very little true field work. With that in mind, they are holding up quite nicely, even though they look like crap as soon as they are covered in Afghan mud (and they never get better again).

My only issue (and the reason for taking off a star) is the traction is terrible in wet weather. Running around in the field or on rough surfaces such as asphault are fine. But a flat floor that is wet (usually indoors), then I have to walk as if I'm on ice sice I have already had a couple close calls.

Also, when on those smooth/flat surfaces, these boots are noisy (but not worth taking off a star). They tend to make slapping sounds similar to my dress shoes. I have literally tried changing how I walk to keep my boots from slapping, but I have since given up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect but wear nine sneaker and other Military Boots Like tight, June 5, 2014
These are the best boot for training I have ever put on. SLIGHTLY to small...like all the reviews, order .5 (1/2) size larger...wear nine, order nine and 1/2 or 9.5R in there terms. Luckily the MSG next to me who has had them for two plus years just bought me 9.5s and took my size nines which fit him perfect. His older TR Minimils boots look GREAT,,,,,minus normal wear. So he now has new pair. He runs a few total miles in his boots per month and the sole is not coming off or worn through. Work you self into them...couple hours a day for first couple of weeks, DO NOT JUST GO OUT AND RUCK IN THEM. He and I still recommend stiffer boots when moving weight, but for everyday use these boots will better prepare your ankles, calves, knees back...When training to ruck, DO NOT RUCK A LOT. Develope your muscles and prepare your feet. Rucking breaks you down and is more like testing yourself. Recommend nor more than a couple rucks a month...Ask almost any older infantry man, para trooper, SF soldier. But if you like minimalist shoes, get these so you can be in them all day and not for two hours of PT and wonder why you keep tearing/pulling your calves like me. This is the solution.

Belleville Mini-Mil? Minimalist Training Boot