Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TR101 Minimalist Training Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 22, 2012
Got these to rotate with my S2Vs for a lighter change and I was happily surprised at how light and comfortable they really are, they're actually lighter than my running shoes. I had some discomfort at the heels the first day but they've been a perfect fit since. I've worn them every day for 2 months now, I've marched 100 miles at least and I can see them going another year easy.
My only worry is that while it's to be expected with a minimalist-size sole they are less substantial than I'm used to, so definitely not something for regular wear.

-6 month update
I probably wore these harder than I should have, but the heel finally wore through to the footbed, 2 eyelets popped out, and the stitching on one eyelet panel is coming off. The leather itself is in good shape though.

So FYI to those who read reviews these are good boots the soles just wear out quickly.
on February 13, 2014
The Tactical Research (Belleville) TR-101 boot is a true minimalist boot. Provided that you prepare the boot by trimming the laces, installing a shock absorbing insole, and removing the heel cup, it can serve excellently as a field boot in the most demanding environments. Watch my video for tips on how to prepare this boot for field use ;)
1111 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2013
I normally wear SV2s but tried these. I run with a zero drop shoe for PT so I was already used to a lower heal toe drop. they are fine for garrison and lighter field work however I did a ruckmarch this morning and had a problem with my ankle support. the heal toe drop and lack of cushion didnt effect me. i laced my boots as tight as i could an still they were not supportive enough. if you ruck in these i would recomend wrapping your ankles or soomething. or just ruck with a different boot.
on August 24, 2013
I've had these about a week now. Definitely the lightest boot i've owned, and perfect for my garrison wear. I love the sole, excellent grip, wide toe box and nice overall feel around the foot. Size about 1/2 size up from your issue boot (same size as my running shoes). Main complaint, as a couple others have noted, the lateral part of both ankles digs into my malleolus (ankle bone). I've had to wear some moleskin and trying to break that part of the boot so it's not as bad. If not for that issue, I would have given 5 stars.
77 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
For some reason, Belleville decided to add this bizarre padded ankle support to these boots, and the way these boots fit, the ankle support pinches and rubs on my ankle resulting in soreness, abrasions and blisters. I thought I just needed to break these boots in, but months have passed and every time I wear them I end up with abraded ankle bones, and I'm only wearing them in my office! The only way I can stand it is to use duct tape on my ankle bones. I wonder if others are having this problem.(Please reply if you are) It's not like I have freakish ankle bones or anything. If I can ever get these boots broken in I think they'll be great. The Vibram part is wonderful. It's the Belleville parts that suck. What's up with the tongue sticking way out of the top of the boot?

I imagine there was debate at Belleville about putting the ankle support feature on these boots. Minimalist boots shouldn't provide ankle support. The whole idea of minimalist footwear is that our feet and ankles are strengthened by not having our feet in a cast all day. Besides, the last combat boot that actually provided decent ankle support was the Altama black leather combat boot that was issued in the 1980s. Boots with canvas and nylon uppers don't provide decent ankle support. So what we have is a compromise that provides the worst of both worlds.

Belleville, thanks for trying to make a minimalist boot. It just needs some product improvement and you'll have a great boot. I promise to buy the next version.
55 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
So far, I have been using these boots for 9 months into this deployment. I always hated the fact that I had to wear boots most of my waking hours. I normally run in Skora zero drop shoes or flat sandles when I can. Anything with a large heel feels awkward!

So besides the zero drop, I love how light and flexible these boots are! The soles are flexible (aka, thin) and can be rolled up. You can always add a insert if you need some extra padding or to keep your foot from feeling the heat from the roads during the day. These boots ran true to size for all other Belleville and Rocky boots I have worn.

A few have complained about ankle support, but frankly, no boot really has any true ankle support. But who wants to wear a cast anyway? I generally tighten the lower section (around the foot itself) and then lossen up the lacing going up past he ankle because I do not like how boot impede my natural ankle movement.

My job is staff job in the HQ's in theater, so other than the training before my deployment, these boots have seen very little true field work. With that in mind, they are holding up quite nicely, even though they look like crap as soon as they are covered in Afghan mud (and they never get better again).

My only issue (and the reason for taking off a star) is the traction is terrible in wet weather. Running around in the field or on rough surfaces such as asphault are fine. But a flat floor that is wet (usually indoors), then I have to walk as if I'm on ice sice I have already had a couple close calls.

Also, when on those smooth/flat surfaces, these boots are noisy (but not worth taking off a star). They tend to make slapping sounds similar to my dress shoes. I have literally tried changing how I walk to keep my boots from slapping, but I have since given up.
on January 21, 2015
These boots run at least a full size small. Being overseas I didn't have the luxury of trying these boots on prior to purchase so I ordered the same size boot I always wear and realized I need to go up a half size. The reordered boots came in they were still too small, went a half size up to 11, and the 11's were too small as well. Tried an 11.5 and they were too small as well. Perhaps a half size larger boot would have been ok, not sure. Having to deal with US Mail and the lengthy delays associated, getting another pair of these boots only to return them was illogical. After weeks of mail delays I went back to the old reliable S2V's that always fit exactly the same and I'm glad I did. Although I think the TR101 would be a great boot for a particular environment, after operating here for a few weeks I realized that these boots would have been a terrible choice unless all I did was sit behind a desk and go to the gym everyday.
on May 28, 2014
The TR101 12W feels like an 11. I don't fully understand how sizing in the same company is off. UNSAT!

The Belleville site states, "SIZING RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE MINI-MiL (TR101, TR102, TR103) MINIMALIST BOOTS: Due to the wider shape of the toe box, we have found that the MINI-MiL® tends to run on the small/short side. For this reason, we recommend customers order a half size up from your normal shoe size. For instance, if you wear a size 10, then we would recommend you order a 10.5 in the MINI-MiL®."
When I acquire a size that fits, I'll review it.
on March 28, 2015
Not a boot I would go rucking or in the field with. I tried these after I gave up my New Balance OTBs to 670-1. If you like lightweight boots for your everyday-Garrison work then this is a good boot. The heel was too wide for me though and it would tear my foot up if I went rucking in them. The laces are ridiculously long and with how thin the boot is, it's uncomfortable stuffing the excess lace inside the boot.
on May 25, 2014
I wear a 9.5 in the Nike SFBs, so I ordered a 9.5 in these and my toes would bang against the front of the toebox. The toebox is also super stiff, so it was like banging my toes into a concrete wall over and over.

I wish they had fit properly because otherwise they are really nice. Super light weight, and I really like the minimalist aspect to them. Great boots, I'd just try them on somewhere befoer I bought them.