5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring Response from HB about the Oatmeal
Published on January 11, 2011 by NewMama

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Parents, before buying this stuff, do quick Google search for The Cornucopia Institute's report entitled "Replacing Mother - Imitating Human Breast Milk in the Laboratory" or follow this link: [...]

Published on March 17, 2010 by Concerned Parent

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring Response from HB about the Oatmeal, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Happy Bellies Organic Baby Cereal with DHA, Choline & Probiotics, Oatmeal, 7-Ounce Canisters (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
I am a new mom, and have heard amazing things about HappyBaby's Oatmeal. So, when I got on Amazon to purchase some I was surprised/concerned to see some of the negative reviews about off-coloring and bad smells. I wrote to the company to inquire about the issues people were mentioning, and I got a very good response, almost immediately, from the company. The Director of QA said that the problem was limited to one batch of oatmeal only and is no longer a problem. I thought other parents shopping on Amazon might find his response helpful:

"...this is not a food safety issue, so there's no need to worry. It is, however, an "off product" quality issue, and is caused by oxidation of the oils in the grain (oxidative rancidity), usually by the nitrogen flush we put into the can leaking out due to abuse, improper seaming, etc. The reaction (with oxygen) is a lot like leaving a peeled banana on the table too long...yucky, but not dangerous, so your child is not in any danger. The black flecks are oxidized pieces of the cereal bran, which are usually colourless.

Our June production lot was particularly susceptible to this, so we did two things. First, we strengthened the antioxidant portion of the formula (mixed tocopherols), and the problem literally went away. Secondly, we reached out to our warehouses and store shelves, and replaced as much of the June production lot as we could. However, given the size and complexity of the supply chain, it's nearly impossible to get a 100% catch here, so invariably, some cases stayed around. "

This response really impressed me and made me feel much more confident about purchasing HappyBaby products in the future. They acted quickly, and responded thoroughly and honestly to the issue. They truly seem committed to their mission of supplying customers with the highest quality ingredients...and customer service! I will for sure be buying more HappyBaby products in the future.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Parents, be aware: contains neurotoxic chemicals that definitely AREN'T organic!, March 17, 2010
Concerned Parent (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews

This Happy Bellies rice cereal contains Martek Corporation's laboratory-produced oils containing DHA and ARA. As we all know by now, DHA and ARA are considered important nutrients for rapidly developing infants. But laboratory-produced DHASCO and ARASCO (Martek's names for their proprietary oils) are materially different from the fats found in a mother's breast milk. Martek's products are extracted from fermented algae and fungus, with the use of the synthetic solvent hexane, a neurotoxic chemical. They contain only 40 to 50% DHA and ARA, with the balance being sunflower oil, diglycerides, and nonsaponifiable materials.

These components are not found in human breast milk, and the triglycerides carrying DHA and ARA are not identical to
those found in human breast milk, and have never been part of the diet for human infants. Most frighteningly, neurotoxic chemicals -- which are NOT organic in any way -- are used to manufacture these oils. These oils are not organic, are not regulated or approved by the USDA or FDA, and are added in violation of federal organic regulation.

The authors of the report investigated how a toxic chemical is used as processing agents in the manufacturing process, the inadequate testing for safety, and most importantly, how some infants are experiencing serious adverse reactions from consuming formula and foods supplemented with these oils.

"This report presents a disturbing look at the addition of novel ingredients into infant formula," says Marsha Walker, Executive Director of the National Alliance for Breastfeeding Advocacy. "The FDA has received scores of reports on the adverse effects of these ingredients, but, to date, the public's only access to these is through Cornucopia's Freedom of Information Act request. This report will help alert the health care community and federal agencies to some of the adverse effects of added DHA and ARA in infant formulas."

The full report can be viewed on The Cornucopia Institute's web page. [...]

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 14, 2013 2:59:19 PM PDT
Thank you for writing to us with your concerns. The DHA used in our Happy Bellies cereals is derived from algae. Fish get their high levels of DHA from eating algae, and fish- and algae-derived DHA are the richest sources of DHA. Although DHA is also found in walnuts, flax and canola oil, humans aren't very good at converting the oil from those sources into the DHA your body needs.

We source the DHA for our Happy Bellies cereals from a company called DSM. DSM manufacturers DHA from the algae Schizochytrium sp., which is not a genetically modified organism (GMO).

The DHA that we use is vegetarian and sustainable and produced, from start to finish, in an FDA-inspected facility with controls in place to ensure the highest quality. It is not processed or made with genetically-modified ingredients. Hexane is not used in any part of our DHA extraction process.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at parents@happyfamilybrands.com.

All the best,
Natalya
Customer Communications Associate
Happy Family Brands

2.0 out of 5 stars Recent color/taste issues with oatmeal, October 5, 2010
Last two purchases: the oatmeal was green and had a very peculiar taste to it. I am hoping the company checks their product more carefully as there have been many moms who have lost confidence in this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great baby cereal, July 18, 2008
EB "EB" (Malibu, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This was the first solid food I fed my then 4-month old baby and from the first time, he loved it. I initially mixed it with breast milk (1 tsp cereal and 4 tsp of breast milk for the first feeding, then less liquid to make it less messy to feed) but now, I mix it with some hot water or other food (vegetable or fruit purees). Whenever I introduce a new vegetable that I suspect my son might not like right away, I mix 1 tbsp or more of rice cereal and it usually works like a charm. Zucchini puree by itself = spit up. Zucchini puree mixed in with HappyBellies rice cereal = happy baby.
Granted that I haven't tried other brands, except for the Gerber Barley cereal, the line of HappyBellies cereals has been fantastic for us. My son loves it and he's never had any stomach problems since he's on it.
The empty containers can be recycled, or used as toys for your baby. I usually but a few (unbreakable) items inside. My son loves shaking it and playing drums on it.

I also love the convenience of Amazon shopping, especially since this brand can be sometime hard to find in stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this cereal!, August 2, 2008
Rachael P. "mom of 2" (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews
No joke--this was the first solid food we gave our son and he went "hmm hmm" (yum yum). We now give this to him one or two times a day (he is 7 months now) and often mix it with apples, or pear, or other foods too. He really enjoys this and I like that it has probiotics. It does seem like a large amount of creal in one order, esp if you aren't sure if your child will like it. But if you plan to feed cereal to your baby while supplementing with other solid foods, I would say this is one of the best rice cereals available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cereal, July 4, 2009
J. Lane "JAL" (somewhere over the rainbow) - See all my reviews
This cereal is great. It is very light and fluffy in the container and mixes to a nice smooth consistency. My daughter enjoys this much more than other brands she has tried. She opens her mouth and grabs the spoon to help. She has not had any problems with constipation. Would have been five stars, but the container is only 2/3 full. Either provide more cereal in each container or put the cereal into smaller containers. I want healthy products that are earth friendly, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, reasonable price, December 15, 2008
We only fed our son rice cereal for about 2 weeks - he vastly prefers the taste of oats. This cereal mixes instantly, and combines well with other foods. The addition of DHA and probiotic supplements is an important factor in our decision to buy this product.

It was a little disconcerting to open the cannister for the first time and see that it had settled to the point that it appeared only half full. The label says this may happen...it's a shame that so much packaging is wasted, though.

Tip: We saved the scoop from his formula and use it to measure the cereal from the cannister.

4.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get spat back out!, January 12, 2009
My daughter has a tendency to be a picky eater. I am not sure where this came from b/c other kids are not. But this product, she doesn't seem to 'reverse eat' as we like to call it. But the product itself is very pricey for the amount that you get (7oz vs 16 ozreg for same price). But,all in all, the ingredients are good for my little one. We take probiotics, DHA, and eat brown rice, so why would we feed her differently?

1.0 out of 5 stars foul odor, September 9, 2010
I purchased 3 containers of this cereal all having expiration dates in 2012. The first container I opened seemed fine (at least I hope it is! I fed it to my 5 month old!) The cereal color was a pale whitish-tan and there was relatively no odor to it. Baby likes it so I am happy. The second container I opened (again, same packaging, and good expiration date) had a totally different color - this time it was brownish-green. However, the worst part was the rancid smell. It smells like rancid oil. I opened the third container - same brownish-green color and and same rancid smell. Very unhappy with this product. I have contacted the company, but have had no reply yet. I would not recommend feeding this to your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well named!!!, February 15, 2009
Karen Baker "city mama" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I decided to try this cereal for my 5 month old, who really enjoys eating solid food but was often not happy afterwards on another brand of brown rice cereal. Since starting on this cereal, he has no more gas or constipation, and seems to have not any tummy discomfort at all. More amazing, his poop (sorry for TMI, but I figure we're all moms here, and interested in exactly this topic!!) is like newborn breastmilk poop, even with 2 feedings of fruit and cereal a day! I think the probiotics make a huge difference in helping him digest things properly. This cereal is a little bit expensive but totally worth it, and will be part of my son's diet as long as possible.