1,032 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok to think about yourself when pregnant!
So, for the most part the reviews are either 'OMG, this book is so funny' or 'OMG this book is so offensive!'

Published on April 10, 2006 by Amy Bischoff

1.0 out of 5 stars Never-ending Rant
Imagine striking up a conversation with someone about pregnancy and they proceed to complain about every detail of their pregnancy for three hours straight. That's what this book is. I had hoped for a good laugh but unfortunately I didn't get it.
Published on September 1, 2011 by JV

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok to think about yourself when pregnant!, April 10, 2006

It's funny, no questioning that. It's crude, no questioning that either. If you find the "F" word offensive, don't buy it. If you find referring to your privates in "crude" language offensive, don't buy it. For those of us who have conquered the world of adult language and realize that words are just words there are no real problems.

Don't buy this book if you are looking to be educated about pregnancy. It's entitled "Belly Laughs". These are Jenny's anecdotal stories that we all ge to laugh about.

If you are one of those people who is horrified if you hear a pregnant woman call herself fat, say she isn't going to breastfeed or is more concerned with her own image than this "perfect beautifu life inside her" don't buy. For those of us who have actually been through pregnancy without sugar coating it, some days you do feel fat, sometimes you DO want to have sex without jr. kicking you and every once in a while we want to think more about ourselves than being pregnant. It's good that there is a book in the mainstream that validates that feeling instead of saying "all you should think about is this life inside you". Sometimes us pregnant girls want to think about our OWN lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is hilarious!!!!, April 6, 2005
I'm not expecting, but one of my best friends is expecting her first child. My coworker brought this book into work, and she said we had to read this book. I had tears running down my face. This book is a quick read and you can finish it easy in 1 - 2 days. This book takes a light hearted look at pregnancy. Pregnancy is a beautiful experience, but it was fun to read her frank and funny views on gas, the belly expanding, and the all so quiet topic of pooping on the delivery table. There were so many moments when I laughed out loud and had to look around to make sure no one was looking at me all strange.

Some of her other funny stories includes; craving mustard, when she hated mustard. Jenny liking mumus because nothing else fit. Jenny having strange dreams while pregnant. Dealing with hemorrhoids, weighing her breast. Her trying to keep her boobs from hanging off the sides of the mattress due to their size. Surrender to the maternity bra. A pregnant woman's fart can truly bring a man to his knees. I had to find tissue after reading that line. I had so many laughing tears running down my face. The different changes the body go through. Crying for no reason due to hormonal changes, and pregnancy stupids. Skin changes, pregnant head, bad headaches and wanting to saw the head off. Premature labor. Hating skinny women. How she panicked when the epidural wore off and her concerns was still "Am I pooping on the table." Don't make a pregnant woman want to pee.

This book is not meant to be a pregnancy guide, it's meant to take a light hearted comical look at going through the pregnancy experience. I mean the book is after all called Belly Laughs. If you are expecting this book to have some new insight on pregnancy then you will be mistaken. If you have a great sense of humor you will find yourself enjoying this book a lot.

This book will make you laugh and laugh some more. I bought a copy for my best friend, and she loved it. This book is hilarious!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pregnant Pauses filled with Laughter, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth (Paperback)
Model, actress and spokewoman Jenny Mccarthy shows the lighter side to pregancy, birth and future motherhood in this humorous novel. She makes you laugh at her personal asides which happened during her pregnancy of her son Evan. She pulls no punches. Her book is funny because she tells it like it is..Everything from Mood Swings to Weight Gain is covered honestly, which makes this humor real (and it is!)

Thank God I am a man, but the next friend who states that she (or in the case of her husband telling me that his wife) is pregnant-will get a copy of this book from me, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! With a yellow sticky note posted on the cover READ THIS NOW!

And Jenny, thanks for the laughes-i just hope men never get pregnant or have babies...It would kill me!

Bennet Pomerantz AUDIOWORLD

4.0 out of 5 stars Crude, honest, and funny, August 5, 2004
Say what you will about Jenny McCarthy, the girl is funny, and she tells it like it is. I had seen her talking about her pregnancy on tv, so that sparked my interest in this book. For any woman going through a tough pregnancy who needs a pick-me-up, this is definitely it. It is difficult to get the honest truth about pregnancy from women, but Jenny McCarthy is not one of those women. She bares all, but, in the end, all the pain and suffering was worth it. And that's what we want to hear, isn't it?

McCarthy's sense of humor can sometimes be like a 7th-grade boy's, which will suit her well as a mother to a young boy. Most of what she says is painfully true, and you will find yourself smiling through the short chapters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, December 1, 2004
I thought this book was truely hilarious, and like many others read it in one sitting.

This book is the antithesis to the matronly and patronising "What to Expect" books. The purpose of this book was not to be educational in this style (she doesn't pretend to be a medical professional) but to be frank about the things most of us are reluctant to discuss.

I for one am so sick of celebrities giving interviews about how wonderful, miraculous and perfect their pregnancies and births are (not to mention the hallmark-card motherhood sentiments). Sure, we all can appreciate just how wonderful the whole process is, but this is written about ad nauseum. It makes us 'real mothers' feel ashamed about our less-than-perfect experiences and feelings. Its time pregnancy/birth/motherhood was represented more realistically in the media.

I think for too long it has been 'taboo' for mothers to complain at all, or admit that things are not always wonderful (perhaps this is contributing to the worrying rates of PND?) I see this open and honest book as a step in the right direction for demystifying the whole process. It tells you the things other books either don't or gloss over, and I applaud her for her courage.

Can't wait to see what she comes up with for the second installment..I hope she is able to be open and honest about more than just her bodily functions but also the mixed feelings that sometimes go along with motherhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!, November 10, 2005
Jessica (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This book was a lot of fun to read and it felt good to know that now only I was NOT the ONLY one going through the same things, but that celebrities are not immune to the sometimes "ugly side" of pregnancy either. The only negative part was that I wish it was longer! Jenny is very funny and I have let all of my pregnant friends borrow it to read. It's absolutely hilarious!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Never-ending Rant, September 1, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars A very negative view of pregnancy, February 12, 2006
Wow, what a strange look at pregnancy. On the cover, Ms. McCarthy looks very happy and Earth-Mothery as she holds her pregnant belly. Inside the book, however, I found countless diatribes about how "fat" and "unattractive" pregnancy makes a woman. I suppose I should have expected that a former Playboy Playmate would be overly obesessed with body image, but I was sometimes shocked by how negative her pregnant body image was. She devotes two seperate chapters to discussing how "fat" your rear end will become during pregnancy, and actually has a chapter titled "Hating Skinny People." Her advice to pregnant moms is to avoid looking at one's body in a mirror during pregnancy. I found very little that was funny in this book. Her anecdotes were far from humorous. One is about how she crammed herself into a tight corset for a national television appearance so that no one would notice how "fat" (i.e. pregnant) she looked. Another is about how miserable she felt sitting next to her husband in her "fat" pregnant body while he drooled over the Playboy channel. Instead of making me laugh, her stories and attitude about pregnancy made me feel sorry for her. Unfortunately for the reader, Ms. McCarthy is not one of the millions of pregnant women who feel comfortable, happy, and beautiful in their pregnant bodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The the truth about pregnancy - a funny must read!, June 25, 2004
Jenny, you rock! I have always been a big fan of yours. A friend (who is not even pregnant and has no kids, but loved the book)sent this book to me and my hubby read through it in no time, laughing so hard together at the truth and frankness. We are 7 months pregnant and find that from family and friend you just hear the cleaned up cutesy version of what pregnancy is all about. But Jenny gives it to you real, with the funniest book on pregnancy I have ever read. It is nice to get away from the technical guides with all the negative chapters, and just have a good laugh at the crazy stuff you are going through. The chapter titles alone are worth reading because she sums each symptom up with 2 or 3 word titles. My favorite chapter titles were "The Blue Twinkies" and "Niagra Falls" - but you will have to read it to know what these are about. I highly reccommend this book, what a great shower gift too. Thank you Jenny!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Book To Read, November 5, 2004
First off, soudns like many of the peopel who read this book are not readers, and loved it. I AM a reader, and I read every book out there, and this is THE ONLY ONE I truly enjoyed! It is the only one that is not some fluffy, whiny, vain book about things only a girlfreind will tell you (Girlfreinds Guide) nor is it something written by an RN with years of Lamaze teaching behind her belt that is just there to list teh facts. Jenny is real. She gained 60 pounds, she was unhappy about her 36D+ boobs (something many of teh other books view as a bonus---absurd!) and she spends a lot of time on teh couch watching A Baby STory. My baby is 6 months old, and I still found this fabulous and informative. I actually laughed like an imbecile while flying home last night. It took evrything in my power not to reccommend teh bok to everyone around me! BY THIS BOOK FOR EVERY FEMALE YOU KNOW!!!!

Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth
Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth by Jenny McCarthy (Paperback - December 13, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01