Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 6, 2014
This is a fantastic monitor. I really wanted an IPS panel but bleeding and glowing were a problem for me, so VA panel was the next natural route and here we are :)

Pros: Great colors, good viewing angles, decent gaming performance, no bleed, no visible glow, no dead pixel. Flicker Free: this is a must for me. Vesa mount.

Cons: Not an IPS panel, out of the box wayyyy too bright!, and even after adjusting the brightness it's still too bright! :(

Go for this monitor if:
-You want something way better than a TN panel, great colors and decent viewing angles.
-Great for movies and almost everything else.
-You are the casual gamer.

Avoid if:
-You are used to IPS and need perfect viewing angles.
-You are a pro-gamer and need lag-free performance.
-You need HDMI or DisplayPort.

Other things to consider: If you expend most of your time programming then you should consider 16:10 aspect radio instead of 16:9, or at least go for a monitor with portrait capability. I still do some programming and web design, and for me it's OK but I can see how it can be a problem for someone else. You will also need to buy a DVI cable or DVI to HDMI cable. (only came with vga)

PS: I will upload some pictures of the box so that you can see it's ZeroFlicker.
review image review image
on June 23, 2014
Measured using XRite i1 Display pro.

First off, calibration settings (Standard mode):
- Gamma 1 (most important setting)
- Contrast 50 (Update: Contrast 44 for virtually perfect 2.2 gamma tracking, reduces Contrast ratio to 3100:1 which is still great; with Contrast 50, it tracks 2.1 linearly which is arguably a good thing for a *VA panel due to the slightly darker center cone of viewing)
- Color: R100 G99 B99
- Brightness appropriate for environment; at night I use 0 with ambient lighting behind the display (*strongly recommended to greatly reduce eyestrain* with any display)

Results:
- great gamma tracking to 2.2
- grayscale deltaE under 1 average, no obvious tint (particularly no green tint, which was awful on my Asus VG236H before calibration)
- roughly 3600:1 (!!!) static contrast
- color accuracy (to the usual Rec 709 / sRGB color space) is pretty good but not great, dE 3.7 for primaries & secondaries. Saturation sweep shows no compression thankfully. Blue is the most inaccurate with dE of 4.3 at 80% saturation and 5.4 at 100% saturation, it's skewed toward magenta (purple)

Color accuracy isn't good enough for pro use but color *saturation* is very good and it's accurate enough. I can't emphasize enough how much more important the static contrast is than perfect color accuracy for general image quality (and even among pros, some argue for the highly improved dynamic range over IPS being more important than marginally more accurate colors). The colors are close enough to hardly be noticeably 'off' (I can hardly notice even after applying the ICC profile calibration), but try watching any show or game or whatever (basically anything) next to a high quality IPS (e.g. a top notch tablet display like an iPad 3+ or Nexus 7) to compare and it will spoil that panel for you. You have been warned.

Pros:
- fantastic IQ per above, better than basically any TN or IPS/PLS for virtually any price due to *VA contrast
- no calibration instrument needed for good gamma and other image accuracy, just use my settings above (this is a big deal for a monitor at this price)
- overdrive (AMA) 'Advanced' mode does its job fairly well for a *VA panel
- useful OSD adjustments available especially for this price range
- has standard 100mm VESA mounting holes
- PWM not used to control backlight brightness
- effective (and not overly dirty-looking) anti-glare coating

Cons:
- responsiveness is clearly a weak point. AMA 'Advanced' setting is recommended and good enough for me, but might bother some, YMMV. Do not use "Premium", it overshoots like crazy. If you've used any typical IPS from the past few years, 'Advanced' is a bit slower than that.
- why is the frame glossy? WHY BENQ, WHY??? GRRRRRR. Very cheap-looking glossy plastic everywhere
- control buttons are somewhat unintuitive, and there is no shortcut button for brightness.
- stock gamma is set to 3 when '1' is clearly the most accurate; Picture modes other than 'Standard' are pretty useless (this is par for the course for pretty much all monitor manufacturers)
- backlight could dim a bit lower ... but at least it doesn't use PWM
- ships with VGA cable instead of DVI (again, wtf, why Benq why????)

Conclusion:
Highly recommended for any general usage (including gaming, photos - as explained above) unless you're sensitive to the average/poor motion performance.

Updated review on 8/5/2014 with minor changes to calibration settings
on February 13, 2014
an avid gamer. He was then obligated to swap out to a higher graphics card and WOW! The display is so clear and graphics so much more life like. Also, game lag is a thing of the past. He's had it over several months now and does not come out of his room except to eat. I don't know if that's good or bad, but the screen is an excellent buy. Mom did good this time.
on December 21, 2013
My old monitor was dying and this was on sale. For just under $100, this seemed a good buy.

Text is easy to read. Pictures look good. The viewing angles are okay, but not great. Colors will change from the side. The LED back-lighting is much brighter than the fluorescent of my old monitor. I immediately cranked the brightness down to 20 and it's still very bright.

The power indicator light, dim green, doesn't distract much. The lettering on the frame is gray. I barely notice it when the monitor is on. The anti-glare coating on the screen works well. They should have put some on the glossy black frame. Please, monitor makers, no more glossy frames!

The buttons on the side are easy to operate. The stand seems firm enough. The power and video cables hang straight down.
on September 26, 2014
I don't use this screen too often, and I've only had this for a few months, but so far, so good. Good quality image. Fine value for the money

UPDATE. I BOUGHT THIS IN AUGUST 2014. NOW, IN MAY, 2015, I TURNED IT ON TODAY AND THERE ARE THESE THIN VERTICAL LINES THAT I CANNOT GET RID OF SO THIS IS NOW BASICALLY LAND FILL MATERIAL. THIS PIECE OF JUNK DIDN'T EVEN LAST A YEAR.
review image
on November 1, 2014
Great monitor for people on a budget. Decently sized and well priced, with good colors and no hint of light bleed (take that IPS users!). The 6ms GTG time is suitable for everyone except for people who are playing the latest games at highest quality and demand the quickest response possible. HD movies look fantastic and high quality photos are a pleasure to view. Games with fairly modern graphics such as BF3 become much more immersive, with striking scenery that pops in a way I couldn't see on my old monitor. My biggest complaint is that with such a superior monitor now, I never realized how dated my older games looked. Details in Oblivion that were lost on my old LCD monitor are now strikingly apparent and ugly looking.

There are some real downsides though, that include:
- A convoluted menu system that requires multiple button presses to change the input (not to mention the side mounted buttons, unsuitable for a side by side multi-monitor setup if you predict you'll be changing settings often)
- A flimsy, all-plastic case and base, which while making the monitor very light, does not give confidence to its durability (note that the monitor does include a VESA 100mm mounting point, which many may take advantage of if you can't stand the base)
- Input ports are mounted at the very far left of the monitor (an unforeseen problem I had as my computer is far to the right of the screen)
- Photo Mode wreaks havoc on sharp contrasting lines (I first noticed it when running a simulation on a flat plate in SolidWorks, the edge of the dark steel plate against the white background with a black sketch-line in between looks awful. I typically keep the monitor in either standard or eco mode, both have good colors and definition without doing crazy things to the picture in specialized circumstances.)
- Contrast and color is dulled when viewed from steep angles (it is first noticeable on the far edge of the screen at about 30-35 degrees from center)

These problems are a little nit-pickey though, and considering that this monitor beats the competition's price by a fair margin, can be forgiven. The fact that it is a wonderfully sharp, fantastic to look at monitor shines in all normal circumstances. All said, I am very satisfied with my choice, and believe that this is the best monitor you can possibly get for 120 bucks.
on January 10, 2014
I ordered two of these rather than renting. It was just about the same price, so this way I get to keep them. I wanted the smallest display that had 1920x1080 resolution. I work in a business environment and have these hooked up to my laptops so I can preview what is being sent to the projector. The bottom stand "click" on and comes off easily for when I need to re-box the monitors. I'll get a travel case soon, but they were very helpful for the meeting.
on August 10, 2014
Really solid monitor. Vibrant color, easy to use buttons on the side. Supports both DVI and VGA, excellent monitor for the price. I own two, and am pissed that I paid 165 for the first one after finding it on Amazon for 107! Moral of the story, don't stray from what treats you right. (Amazon)

If I had to pick something to dislike about the monitor, I'd say the front bezel "could" be slimmer (It's about twice the size of my hp pavillion bw255, but don't get that monitor, its highly defective)
on January 7, 2014
I own the older version of this I bought the prior year and it has been great so I bought another.
Great contrast, vibrant colors.
I did have to adjust the screen to my liking but this is common for any monitor you purchase.
It would be nice in 2014 if they included a DVI cable for a few bucks instead of forcing you to purchase one.
It would also be nice if this monitor included display port or HDMI but I am sure BenQ will feature such a monitor
in the future and it will cost most of course.
3 year warranty is good as well, many only come with 1 year now.
on December 9, 2014
Been looking for a nice monitor for dual head display, that wouldn't break the bank. I love my other BenQ display that I've owned for years, but thought they were generally was out of my budget. I suffered through some TN displays with truly terrible viewing angles, then found this little gem. For $105 you get a gorgeous display, great color, viewing angles ala IPS, even backlight, what more could you want for the price? Sure it would be nice to have HDMI, USB, speakers, but at this price it's a no-brainer to buy two plus a dual mount, all for under $300. Fantastic.