5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 1080p 3D projectors out there, period.
Published 20 months ago by Pretty Good

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture when fed high quality content
*this is our review which was also posted on avs forums.

Background
Published 20 months ago by piy1000

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 1080p 3D projectors out there, period., January 31, 2013
This review is from: BenQ W1070 1080P 3D Home Theater Projector (White) (Electronics)
The BenQ W1070 is an amazing little box. All of the features and performance are in this little box that projector enthusiasts have had to (and still do!) pay thousands of dollars in other projectors. To get the features and performance that this projector provides at this price point is a regular joe's dream. And the best part is that a nit picky videophile like myself will not feel like he has compromised performance for price. Folks are trading in their $3,000 plus projectors for the W1070 based on performance alone.

To back-peddle a bit this was the situation I was in.... I have a big air duct/bulk head going right through the middle of my theater room which has given me problems of what projector I could use. I was forced to use a short throw 720p projector (GT750) that had 3D. It was great for what it was and it served me VERY well for about a year but it was only 720p + no zoom + no len shift +... you get the idea. Placement flexibility was VERY limited and 720p wasn't that bad but you could definitely notice especially when there was text on the screen. And there is text on my screen all the time with how much sports I watch.

For quite some time I had hoped that a 1080p 3D projector would come out that fit my space needs. The W1070 was a godsend! Even if I didn't have the tight mounting space I would still get this projector.

I ceiling mounted the projector with an Atdec ceiling mount found here on Amazon and fine tuned the picture position using the Test Pattern buried in the W1070's menu. For the novice mounter, you want to make sure that your measurements in relation to len and screen position are precise before you mount the projector. For the price, the Atdec ceiling mount did a great job allowing me to fine tune angles and picture position. The wiring was simple since when I finished my basement I ran the HDMI and power right over where I had planned to mount the W1070.

For those of you with lens shift/offset questions. My setup includes the following. The top of my screen is 15" from the ceiling. The center of the W1070 lens is about 8" from the ceiling. I have the lens 8'4" away from a 100" screen. I needed the top of the projected image to be 7" below the center of the lens at 8'4" away. I set the lens shift all the way "Up" on the W1070 (which is "Down" if ceiling mounting") and that got me the EXACT offset I needed for the image to sit square. Very happy and relieved that my previous calcuations were correct and didn't have to resport to image distorting digital keystone and zoom. Keep in mind that this projector has an offset so the image will be projected UP if table mounted and DOWN if ceiling mounted. for a 100" screen at 8'4" away the range of offset places the bottom/top of the image approximately 2.5" - 7.5" inches above/below the lens depending on how you mount it. This is crucial to know how it will affect your placement options.

In classic Pro/Con fashion after about a month with the projector here are my impressesions.

PROs

-Colors are AMAZING on this projector. There is a reason it is ISF certified. The colors are fantastic out of the box but are even better when calibrated. I have mine setup on Cinema mode with Brilliant Color set to ON in EcoSmart mode and the Gamma set to 2.2. That is the best combination of brightness/color/ and contrast for my setup.
-Sharpness and clarity are amazing. with 1080p Blu Ray content I was blown away with the clarity and depth of this projector. I also have a Darbee Darblet to help enhance depth and sharpness (highly recommended) but even without the Darblet the clarity and sharpness blew my old projector away.
-Brightness is GREAT! This is a bonafide light cannon. With Brilliant Color and Smart Eco on with the Gamma set to 2.2 I can watch pretty much anything I want with pretty good contrast with the lights and lamps on in the room.
-Black levels are above average. This projector will not get inky blacks like $10k projectors will but this holds its own. I was very impressed with the contrast and black levels on dark scenes and equally impressed with how much shadow detail was preserved in dark scenes. Huge improvement over previous projectors I have owned.
-3D on this projector will blow you away. Not only is 2D content bright and clear but the 3D on this projector utilizes new 144hz technology to make it extremely smooth. With gamma controls to control brightness and contrast I found a 1.8 Gamma setting to be just right. I watched Avatar and Tron in 3D on this projector and was blown away by the strain-free viewing experience. I got the Sainsonic 144hz DLP-Link glasses for cheap on eBay and they work very well. Just make sure the L/R sync is correct otherwise it will cause eye-strain.

I don't care for...

-I wouldn't consider audible fan noise a con on this projector... its just not SUPER quiet like on larger beasts of projectors. I wasn't expecting this on this projector so I wasn't disappointed. In complete silence you can hear it... I've never noticed it while watching content so that is what matters.
-For the first week or so there is a faint smell from the fan that is basically from the bulb burning off manufacturing residue. Its not strong and not a bad smell. Just an electric metal type of smell. Its gone now and I expect this from any new projector.
-Light leakage isn't great. This would be my only official gripe on the projector. With it being so small there are less chambers and places for the light to go in the projector. This results in a fair amount of light leaking from the fan exhaust. This is emitted to the right of the image when table mounting and to the left if ceiling mounting. The good news is that there is nothing leaking on the image but on a dark scene it is noticeable and I have placed a small piece of paper to block it. (See pics) There is also a halo of light on the ceiling from my ceiling mounted W1070 - this is from the lens assembly and I suppose you could resolve this by fixing a lens hood to the lens. I don't notice the halo when watching content and my ceiling is White White so it is more noticeable because of that. I'm fine with the halo but the fan light leakage had to be taken care of.

I really do love this projector and the small gripe with the light leakage I have with it was not enough to have me not give it 6/5 starts if I could... especially for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Generation of DLP Home Theater Projector - Improved performance, Lower Price and Maintenance, January 13, 2013
The BenQW1070 is the first of a new trend of miniaturized 1080p 2D/3D home theater projectors which use the latest Texas Instruments chipset combined with an improved and faster Dark Chip 3 (DC3). Last year's DLP home theater projectors were overall unreliable, and could even not provide 1:1 pixel mapping. Further they were crippled with the DC2's rather poor native contrast. They were also larger, more expensive and consumed more power.
The key 3D improvement here, previously only available on $30K DLP projectors and commercial movie theaters, is triple-flash (144Hz) image processing. This technique reduces or eliminates annoying (eyestrain, headaches) image flicker in 3D mode by repeating 24Hz images three times for each eye (24*3*2=144Hz).
Improvement in optical efficiency allows for lower wattage and longer life lamps. The fine tuning the color wheel results in a brighter, higher contrast image with colors that pop.
The new SmartEco Mode, which cleverly adjusts the lamp power to maximize power saving by delivering the best contrast and brightness performance using only as much light as needed. This modulating of the lamp was previously only found in the upper 1% market (SIM2). It also greatly extends the bulb life by thousands of hours.
In the past Brilliant Color was more of a liability than a benefit. It is improved with the new chipset used on the W1070. The W1070 is fairly well calibrated out-of-the-box but also includes a full color management system which works rather well.

Competition
The $4K Sony 50ES LCOS is also a bright 2D/3D projector with improved black level
The $2-3K Mitsubishi 7900/8000 DLP cannot generate 144Hz triple flash. The 3D is dim
The $3K JVC X35 offers excellent 2D performance but no color calibration controls. The 3D is also quite dim with some ghosting
Optoma will have a replacement for the DC2 based HD33 DLP out by this summer and is expected to process 144Hz
Acer will introduce the H6510BD DLP in April. Hopefully with Frame Interpolation
BenQ will be coming out with a W1400 in April for ~$1500. Hopefully with Frame Interpolation

Volatile Pricing
The W1070 was initially introduced for $849CN at NCIX. BenQ press release states MSRP would be $999.
For January 2013 it's selling for $1099 (new MSRP?) with new egg at $1299! Be aware of dealers restocking fees or no refund policies. Always buy with excellent return privileges and no restocking fee, such as directly from Amazon.

Limitations
As good as the 144Hz triple flash is, the W1070 has no frame interpolation. This is a nice feature to have for both 2D and 3D.
The smaller the projector the noisier they typically are, especially on the High fan setting.
Mounting and throw distance need to be investigated before purchase as the throw distance is someone shorting than previous or typical projectors. The vertical offset is very limited. The W1080ST is a variation of the W1070 with an even shorter throw lens. It is estimated to arrive in February
Be aware that certain forums are supported by projectors lines they stock. Their steering is usually subtle and one of omission but can persuasive when required with enforcement actions by administrators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away!!!, April 1, 2013
I rarely write reviews, but I was so awestruck by this upgrade, I just had to.

I've owned 3 projectors(not including this one), each one being an upgrade from the previous...also with an upgrade in price. My last one was an Epson powerlite 8350. It was a notable improvement over my previous and I was happy with my $1200 purchase less than 2 years ago. My quest for 3D has been a long one. Started with my Bluray player, then recently the receiver. The last piece was the projector, which when I started looking was a crazy $4000. They did start to come down, by half...and still out of reach. My latest "wish list" item was the Optoma HD33. I had an Optoma before so I knew it would be good, but the price was about $1400. I was so close to purchasing it when this BenQ became available. I've heard about BenQ's superior performance, but wasn't willing to shell out that much cash...until now. I figured I would give it a try and return it if I wasn't completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) happy. I was hoping it would be at least as good as the Epson for 2D material and 3D would be a cool addition. I read the many reviews and pulled the trigger.

I received it 2 days later (thanks Prime) and I was stunned to see how small the box was since the Epson is a giant. I opened the Amazon box, and the BenQ box was even smaller. I started to get a little worried. Inside that box was well packed with foam...almost 2" on all sides. I figured how good could it really be. I felt a little deflated and hooked it up by just placing it on the coffee table with a stack of books for height. I used a different HDMI cable because I figured I'd need to go back and forth to see the difference and my Epson was also ceiling mounted. I have a very bright room, especially in the afternoon when I started the "test". The Hobbit (2D) was already in the Bluray player, so I started with that. Right away I noticed a difference in the detail and color. I adjusted the focus and it got even better! I immediately put in Avatar...my "go to disc" for showing off the system. I started with the scene when the Avatar crew first landed in Pandora jungle. I was nothing short of BLOWN AWAY!! I've seen Avatar too many times to count, but felt like I was seeing it for the first time. I watched the entire movie..in total AWE!!! I couldn't wait to see it when the room was dark. Later I also put in King Kong and watched the tyrannosaurus battle scene. I could see every scale, all the imperfections on each scale, hairs on Kong, cracked skin, dust and debris. You name it, i could see it. And this was just 2D. Already I was thrilled about my purchase...even if I had spent more...much more.

So the 3D part is on hold. Thanks to Fed-Ex policy, I wasn't at home at the time of delivery, so all I got was a note. :(
I was so mad since this was a Saturday and I received the projector on Thursday. GRRRRRRR. My expectations are pretty high now that the 3D will be nothing short of spectacular. Look for my update...I'm supposed to get the glasses today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture when fed high quality content, February 19, 2013
*this is our review which was also posted on avs forums.

Background
We've watched movies off our computer for the past several years. . .many actually. Just lately we decided to get an HDTV. Started off with a Samsung (UN55ES7150F) for $1,5000 (often $2k or more). It was a nightmare! Poor color accuracy, judder like you wouldn't believe, light bleeding from the lower left edge, horrible "smart" features, and artifacts on the screen that suggested it may have been a bad panel. We then went with a LG (55LS4500) we picked up for $700. When we put it next to the Samsung it looked better in every way except it's design. The color was very good and detail was better. We really liked this TV. . . HOWEVER, it started having pretty bad edge light bleeding. That's when I decided to look at projectors -- always wanted to have my own movie theater. . . can't stand going to the theater and sitting in those pain traps they call seats.

We were just about to go with a Mitsubishi when this thing popped up. So we waited a month to see the reviews and then we thought the W1080ST would be even better. . . however when the price dropped on the w1070 to $900 we couldn't pass it up.

The Setup
The current setup is temporary as we are remodeling (completely) a house we moved into not long ago. Therefore, we are using a DIY screen with the projector at ~84" diagonal.

We are seated about 12' from the screen.
The projector is about 7' from the screen.
The projector is hooked up to a laptop through a Pioneer VSX-522-K receiver (no up-scaling - very basic).

Screen
We tested a total of 5 different DIY materials for this projector - this is a long story but I'll keep it short.

4 from HD and the Sherwin Williams white paint recommended by projector central's DIY tests.
The Sherwin Williams IMO is the best and looks excellent with this projector however, the little lady thinks one of the 4'x8' from HD looks more natural. I think the "pop" and color saturation on the SW is better and that it looked even more natural - you don't have any of that light shining through on skin that you see so much with LCD/LED HDTV and some of these materials. However, the SW was painted over Melamine from HD. This happened because she didn't see that the Melamine's texture was causing issues with the image (don't use it) before we hung it - the initial test was a rather small projection due to certain constraints, thus I painted the Melamine with SW but the hassle of getting it flat with a roller and it hot spotted at this distance pretty bad at the level of the lens caused me to use something else.

Thus we went back to HD and picked up Polywall (Parkland plastics) and a 4'x8' mdf board that's white on one side - HD has two 4'x8' white boards here in the Denver metro area, one is shinier and the other is more like paint with a fine texture as if it was rolled on very very well.

Honestly, they all look pretty decent and very similar but I chose to use the mdf that looks like it's painted on one side -- easier to hang on the current dog-legged wall.

If anyone wants the details of this material I can get it - didn't keep the receipt. This is the material she thinks looks "more natural" but I think SW is better, if the hot spotting can be handled (very noticeable on white scenes) - I'll try it with a clear coat some time later and will probably spray SW onto the projector wall for the final screen at ~150" if I can work it out.

Image quality
The quality is good but that is totally dependent on the content it is fed - poorly compressed material looks horrid as it will accentuate every flaw of the content. Great 1080p content looks stunning!

The DLP "cinema" look that people talk about. . . is real. Freaked me out a little for the first hour of watching it - I adjust rather quickly. Nonetheless, this was one of many reasons I wanted DLP over LCD for a projector.

Focus seems good - slightly out of focus on the top and right of the screen but I'm pretty sure that's our non-perfect screen, and even if it isn't you don't notice it at all when watching content. . . maybe a little when using it as a monitor.

I can't say much about judder as the current laptop has poor graphics but gets the job done. What I can say, unlike the two LED-LCD HDTVs we tested, this projector has NOT add any more judder than is already there from the laptop.

Noise
If running high quality 1080p content there seems to be little to no noise however, this projector does tend to turn noise into -- not sure of the term -- fizzy/mosquito noise. It's just not the same noise you would see on an LCD and this projector does nothing -- no matter what settings are used -- to clean any of it up. Therefore, IMO it's bad for poor content (read: poorly compressed content).

Color
Pretty good out of the box. It's livable but certainly can be better with adjustments. With the SW it didn't need any tweaking for it to look pretty amazing. The current board, imo, needs a little tweaking but still looks as good as any LED-LCD HDTV under $3K that we've looked at.

Brilliant color
This is actually usable! The LCD HDTVs brilliant color modes were horrid! This gives a little boost in brightness as well.

Black levels to us are fine -- as good as the LCD HDTVs we tested. With both the TVs we had to push the brightness up or shadow detail would get crushed. . . we don't think this projector is any different. Black items look black in relation to everything else and is very acceptable to us.

Lumens
The eco smart mode seems to be just as bright, if not brighter, than any other mode. In other words, I don't get any significant boost in brightness from any settings other than gamma and a slight boost form brilliant color.

Contrast
Comparing this to the LCD tvs that we tested with 17M & 4M dynamic contrast ratios. . . this has as good of a "watchable" contrast ration as either of them.

Dynamic mode
haven't really used this much. . . but it looks horrid out of the box.

3D
OK. . . this part is a little irritating if you are using a HTPC as your source.

IMO Benq has stretched the truth just a little too far when describing this projector's ability to play 3D in "full 1080p HD". They imply that you will get 1080p using just about any source. No, you won't. You will get 1080p/24hz for top-bottom/over-under and frame packing, only. Which means you have to jack with your graphics every time. . . just an annoyance -- seriously, 1080i for SBS?!?!? While this is in the manual their site is a little liberal with the description and lacks any notes.

I've tried some of the ways to play 3d suggested by others. . . nothing really works for me other than changing my graphic card's properties. If I leave it set to 1080p/60hz the 3D options won't even come up at all.

The best solution I've found. . . set my card to 720p. For some strange reason this is the only setting that keeps the exact same screen size, and then I can play my 1080p 3D SBS content without any issues -- yeah, I'm still not getting 1080p, but 3D isn't that big of a deal for us. Haven't even got glasses yet.

Of course, for blu-ray just set it to 1080p/24hz.

update on 3D:
I posted instructions on using stereoscopic player on the avsforum thread for this projector on page 102 for those of you using a HTPC with this projector.
[...]

Build quality and quality control
Honestly, I don't think there is much quality control on this product.
The lid covering the vertical lens shift is so loose that it opens when you turn the projector up. . . makes it feel very cheap.
update: the new projector's cover clicks into place.

When I look into the lens from the side when it's on I swear I see dust spots inside the lens with what appears to be lens grinding marks and/or possibly a smear. . . it actually looks very dirty, but maybe that's just projectors?
update: the new projector does not have this issue

While we haven't had severe problems with the HDMI ports they are not the snuggest fit and a slight bump with disconnect you.

Menu
Welcome to 1995!!!! It's just bad!

Conclusion
I take the word of fellow owners who have owned other projectors, since I haven't, on how this one rates compared to others. As has been discussed by many, for $900 there doesn't seem to be anything close -- looks better than the LED-LCD HDTVs we tested. . . and you get whatever screen size you desire, and that makes this projector worth keeping. The picture quality is great if you feed it quality content and it has enough lumens to deal with some ambient light. . . not a lot (blacks get hammered) unless you go with a gray screen -- I think I would rather control the light and keep my whites. And honestly, at this price range I can use it till the lamp is dead and not feel bad about upgrading or throwing it in the bedroom with a new lamp and upgrading the living area with a new projector.

Update:
Forgot to mention two items.

Fan noise
Yes, you can hear it clearly when there is no sound. Since this thing is just in front of the coffee table we have first hand knowledge of just how loud it is. However, with the surround sound system going we don't notice it at all. Therefore, it is what it is - a projector with a fan cooling system that sounds like a small hair dryer on low.

Light bleed
Yes, there is considerable light bleed out of the fan's exhaust. It shows up about 3' to the right of the image - when on a table. In our current setup that puts the light bleed on a desk area and therefore not an issue. However, in the future this will need to be dealt with. Most likely I'll build some type of housing for the projector to keep it ultra quiet and eliminate all light bleed.

If you are projecting toward a wall that is dark this might be a non-issue however for those using it on lighter walls this can be a noticeable issue.

Update 2:
Found out that the slight out of focus issue is due to the vertical lens shift. As we currently have the projector on a table and vertical lens shift as far up as possible, we noticed it becomes perfectly focused from edge to edge and top to bottom when we return the vertical lens shift all the way down. Therefore, at least for our projector, we can't really say it has a "usable vertical lens shift."

Update 3:
Our projector developed odd fan noise from the fan's bearing, and then half the screen became darker than the other, I posted pics of the issue on avsforum. Seems to be a bad DLP chip.

BenQ replaced the unit with a new one. The new one has better colors out of the box (the settings are different), don't know if our other one was just odd or what, and it's noticeably brighter. All in all the second projector is better all around.

Here's our update from avsforum:
So. . . what's different?

Packaging -- this one was packed inside another box. Previous one was only in the W1070's box.
no "smear" on the lens
Seems brighter. . . noticeably so.
default color settings are different -- seem to look better at first glance
Squaring it with the screen seemed much easier.
cover over the lens shift screw clicks shut
of course, don't have the issues that caused us to return the other one -- fan bearing noise and half side of screen darker.

Firmware: both 1.04. . . bummer it isn't 1.05, but doesn't look like much changed there. Hopefully if I do ISF settings they will be remembered smile.gif
This is one is a February build. Previous one was January.

Color Settings & Brightness
The old one color temperature settings:
100/100/100/256/253?/256
the new:
95/89/93/256/256/256

everything in color management is at 50

If you have played with these settings you know they will make the image darker when reduced below 100, but with the new settings the new projector is still noticeably brighter. If I change the new settings to what I had on the old projector it's very bright.

Remember, I'm using a temp white DIY 84" screen. So, it should be bright at that size.
Now cinema w/ 2.4 gamma is as bright as I had with 2.0 gamma and the old settings -- cranking things up to my "brightest" settings that I had on the old projector gives me a very bright image.

Setting this projector up seemed much easier. The previous one was always a pain to get square with the screen. This one seemed very easy.

Fan noise. . . with high altitude off it's actually very quiet. We are right on the edge for having high altitude on.

All in all seems better out of the box than the first. . .
Now time to run it for a while and see how it does. . . fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Picture, black levels a bit lacking., August 27, 2013
For brighter scenes and 3D, this projector is superb and projects some of the best images I've ever seen; however, in darker scenes, it will leave a little to be desired in black level. As a high end plasma owner, this just may be more evident to me than it would be if I was used to LCD or DLP TVs. It's also probably one of the best projectors you can buy if you are using it in a room with significant ambient light; this thing is extremely bright. In fact, for movie watching in a completely dark room, I actually use an ND2 filter to cut down on the light output (this also incrementally improves the black level).

All things considered, I don't see how you'll beat this projector at the price, and it's even better than some more expensive projectors I've seen. The vertical lens shift (albeit, limited) is extremely useful for setup and usually isn't found at all on projectors at this price point.

Overall, if you're willing to sacrifice some black level for top notch 3D, a sharp vibrant picture, and tons of light output, than you can't go wrong with this.

Pros:
3D - Best out there
Brightness - One of the best projectors for rooms with ambient light; this also helps on the 3D end.
Sharpness - Very sharp picture.
Color/Greyscale - Colors were near dead-on after calibration, as was the greyscale. This projector overall calibrated better than my Panasonic GT50. Colors are extremely vibrant.
Inbuilt speakers - This might not matter to most, but if you're toting this thing around for outdoor use etc, the in build speakers are LOUD.
Bright/Day scenes - Sharp, vibrant, and almost 3D like.

Cons:
Black level - Again, I could just be spoiled by my plasmas, but dark scenes can be noisy and blacks suffer. ND2 filter has helped, but if there's one thing that a projector at this price point is going to lack, it's the black level.
Noise - The fan can be slightly noisy and distracting during quiet scenes or if you're watching at very low volume.
Light Leakage - As someone else mentioned, light leaks out onto my ceiling and off the sides of the projector. Sometimes the picture can be a bit brighter at the top/center of my screen than on the rest of the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE!!, July 7, 2014
I bought this along with a Elite Screens VMAX120XWH2 VMAX2 Electric Projector Screen 120 inch screen for my neighbor. Long story short, my neighbor is not too tech savvy when it comes to projectors. I'm a tech guru and love to do research on new technology.

He first went to Best Buy and told them he had about a $1500 budget for a home theater projector setup. They basically started laughing in his face telling him there is no such set up at that price range. Anything in that range is pure junk. They were trying to sell him on a $4500 and up setup. He very wisely left the store disappointed.

The next day he contacted me and told me what happened at the local best Buy store, first thing I told him "NEVER go to Best Buy to buy technology stuff" Unless its on clearance those people are useless.

I immediately sat down with him and started doing like 5 hours of research on projectors and screens and found this BenQ 1070w projector. I was a bit skeptical for the price range but the really great reviews on Amazon had never failed me before so we bought it.

Setup was a breeze, in the end, the projector, the screen, an Onkio home theater speaker setup with amplifier, speaker wires and all connecting hardware with tax came around $1660. TAKE THAT BEST BUY!!!

How did it look? IMPRESSIVE!!!! I was knocked over by the clarity and sharpness it had on a 120" screen. I brought in several BlueRay movies like Alien to test the dark scenes and high action and sci-fi movies and we were blown away!!!

I now have this projector on my radar and will be buying it soon for myself. Any questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

3.0 out of 5 stars good entry level projector for price, October 21, 2013
paired with a powerful receiver and Elite 1.0 gain screen in a closed dark room, this thing is amazing for the price. tested with Xbox 360, PS3, bluray, streaming netflix, HDMI via a PC, everything looks great. with this thing + the price of the screen, i have a 150" HD image for less than the price of most 55" HDTVs. it was initially difficult for me to figure out whether to buy this or the ST (short-throw) model and mount further back or mid-way. in hindsight, perhaps i should have gone with a shorter throw...I'm still undecided and may (or not) get the ST later down the road...

pros:
- color is fantastic (I used Speed Racer bluray to test). my god.
- black level okay to good. i saw some pixelization of shadows slowly disappearing in the background in one image of one scene of Dark Knight Rises bluray. Doesn't ruin the experience.
- image quality is great
- i don't have light leaking issues (or don't notice them) - it's a projector, it's supposed to spit out light
- the "eco" thing built into these newer projectors will also be a nice feature as I'm sure I will hate spending $200 on a new lamp (why is it so expensive???)

neutral:
- speakers. why even include them? who at this level of home theater audio/video enthusiasm will not already have a full home theater setup? i guess they're necessary if you've actually bought this for the office but at that point connect them via the ports. i would take this stuff out to make room for more (quieter) fans or to just reduce cost...
- movies and TV are great but so far SOME gaming is disorienting. I've only tested Skyrim and a few others. I instantly adapted to watching film and regular TV but there are too many things moving chaotically in SOME games and i'm so close up, it's hard for me to focus (I'm approx 14ft away from a near 150" image so this isn't the game's fault). I can't detect a lot of input lag, which is good. i might need to shrink the image to get my bearings. too much in the periphery. Other games with more static or persistent backgrounds, no problem.

cons:
- fan noise. the con that I wish I never read about is that it does have an audible fan. if i hadn't read this in other reviews, i might have never cared. but since i did, yes, it bothers me a bit. i wish it was silent. it doesn't ruin the fun. when the sound is pumping or dialog is happening i forget about it...
- rainbow effect. Some people will notice this. Some won't. Some will see it but not understand what it is...it's a DLP projector, so it's a minor flaw to the tech itself, not this projector specifically. The processing of projector's color wheel itself becomes visible when bright areas move quickly across a very dark background, or vice versa. My opinion is that most or ALL people DO see it, experience it, but it's so brief their brain may not understand (perception > conception) due to persistence of vision. they don't know what the hell it is like a million other things in life...they know something is off for a split second, but they don't know what or why...SO they don't put a label on it and thus don't remember it - but I bet they DO experience it. JUST MY OPINION. I saw "page tearing" or "screen tearing" in gaming for years without knowing what it was called and probably ignored it years before that. It bothers me more now that I can put a label on it and know what it is...
- expensive lamp replacement (it's a 3rd of what I paid for this thing entirely - that's a bit out of control)
- 3D failed for me out of the box. Using proper HDMI 3D cables from 3D-capable source to 3D receiver and receiver to projector, and brand new SainSonic glasses, it fails utterly. Options are completely grayed out for 3D in the menu. Manual is no help. BenQ's website is no help. I don't see a forum there... According to the AVS forum, the fix is to update to 1.06 or 1.07 firmware (I have 1.05) which is NOT on the BenQ site. You either have to send to BenQ for this (which is utterly stupid - I won't pay shipping just to get a falsely advertised feature to work) OR you have to find the files on the internet somewhere somehow. And apparently the install process for the firmware is fairly involved, difficult and can COMPLETELY BRICK THE PROJECTOR. -1 complete star for this nonsense. Dunno how the others reviewing this projector got 3D to magically work. They didn't say.

5.0 out of 5 stars BenQ W1070 Is Awesome, July 1, 2013
I have been researching projectors for three months. I settled on the w1070, but then I started comparing other projectors near this price range. The reason I choose the Benq w1070 is that I can get a 100" image at only 8'9" back. Secondly, lens shifting, and third, incredible online reviews. I have researched way too much about projectors because I knew every complaint anyone has ever written about the W1070. When I fired it up, I was stunned how good the picture looked. I have a 55" Panasonic Plasma and it looks like a 100" plasma. No rainbows, no noise, very even picture across the screen. Colors were incredibly vibrant and images were sharp and very little fan noise. I tweaked a few settings with the Wow video and the picture looked even better. I am using an Elite 100H screen and the combination is awesome. I haven't tried 3d yet, but I can't wait to check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It For Dedicated Theater....3D Is AWESOME!, August 22, 2014
I was looking for a projector to upgrade my home theater and wanted something mainly for 3d movies (I LOVE a good 3d movie) and something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. After reading just about every website and every review known to man, I narrowed my choice down to the Optoma HD131XE and this BenQ W1070. The choice between the two seemed, at first, difficult. As I continued reading, it seems the only advantage for the Optoma are the deeper black levels. However, after digging deeper, the reason for the supposedly deeper blacks on the Optoma is due to the fact that it uses a lower wattage bulb; not something I want...plus, you could just throw a cheap 10$ N2 filter on the BenQ and bam, problem solved (essentially that's what the optoma mimics with it's lower powered bulb).
Furthermore, the choice between the two became even easier to make after I read that the Optoma uses a 4x business style RGBCMY color wheel that artificially enhances whites and creates a marketing gimmick higher lumens rating. Meanwhile the BenQ uses a 6x true movie theater style RGBRGB color wheel. That alone decided it for me.
I mounted my BenQ to the ceiling and have watched a couple 3d movies and another 2d. I have to say, omg...wow, this thing is really insane. The blacks are not that dark, but who the heck cares? The image off a bluray (not the same if streaming from internet or any other file) is so sharp and the colors are just...wow! I had to play with the 3d to figure things out, but once I did I found myself sitting there and trying to shoo away the objects popping out; especially on Gravity when Sandra Bullock is crying (so cool). Compared to the cinema, in my dedicated theater sitting 9 feet away from 105" screen and 5.1 surround; I prefer my 3d experience, I think the image is WAY sharper than what passive 3d can deliver. Oh, and if you're worried about image brightness? I have no idea why you'd want a brighter image? In fact, I prefer wearing my Sainsonic even watching 2d, just to dim the brightness a little.
Last thing, I had a friend over who installs professional and higher end theaters. He said he deals with BenQ but never recommends because of the price and truthfully, he's never even demoed one. His thoughts after coming over? He's going to buy one for his home:).
Bottom line, I'm glad I spent the extra 90$ on this projector over the Optoma. I know, just based on the color wheel and bulb strength, that I'm getting a better image and peace of mind that I made the right choice. Had I purchased the Optoma I would have constantly been watching for washed out images and wondering if I made the best choice. Pull the trigger on the BenQ, you won't be disappointed!

Gamers, I don't play much but my son loves to play his kids games on xbox 360 and compared to the 50" LCD TV, this thing looks even better.

One more thing: it's difficult to find material that will max out what this thing can do. I hate streaming video via netflix or VUDU because, even though they say "trueHD" their file size is like 2GB compared to 50GB off a bluray. If you want the best image on this thing, you need a good bluray player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon: Excellent service, Projector: My 5 years Niece says 'this is superb than movie theater', August 17, 2014
I am not technical expert, but would like to share my review based on two months of experience with this projector and in mostly in layman terms. First thing, if anyone is looking for the best thing for value of money, simply click on 'buy now' for this projector without any second thought.

After around 6 months of reading thru various AV forums, checking with people who actually owned this projector I had zeroed down for this Model and I am personally very happy for the quality we get at the asked price.

I am projecting it at wall to wall distance of 9 feet on a 92 inch grand-view screen. My viewing distance is also 9 feet and I am able to get THX recommended viewing angle due to which we get immerse feeling while watching movies. As this is my bedroom setup the projector is ceiling mounted and is bit close to top of head when we seat on bed. Even if its close, we don't hear much fan sound, so its not at all disturbing while silent scene in movies. I have Yamaha 196 to complement with this projector for the sound setup. When everything is ON, you feel like in Movie theater.

For bigger rooms, there is no issues, but in my case, my only concerns was with regards to the screen size for projected distance. After raising queries here itself in Amazon, I was convinced that due to good throw ratio I will get big image In my setup, I am getting very good image size.

Regarding Rainbow effect, till now, none of my family members / guests / myself have noticed it.

Regarding 3D quality, its superb. I have couple of IMAX series and couple of SBS format movies. everything works simply perfect. Regarding 3d depth, there were couple of scenes which we experienced very good 3d depth.

While watching one of the IMAX 3d movie, trust me, all of sudden my 5 year old Niece said 'this is superb than movie theater' (I am referring to Indian Theater). I asked, really? she said, yeah !

In due course we had couple of guests and everyone enjoyed big screen. They all liked the picture quality. They had to travel back so even during daytime we were able to get good picture contrast. i.e the Lumens of this projector is sufficient enough to give decent picture for daytime watching (we have blackout curtain )

My Father was delighted to watch FIFA world cup on BIG screen and had experience as if he is present right their in the stadium.

Regarding Amazon Customer care, only one word I can say that they are the best customer care people, truly customer centric. I had got delayed shipment and faulty piece, but, I had piece of mind as it was "Amazon fulfilled'. Customer care was truly customer centric and they helped me with refunds for my delayed shipment and immediately sent replacement piece which works perfectly well and that's what the above review to share my real experience and hope it helps other to buy who want to experience BIG screen in cost effective way

Once again a BIG THANKS to AMAZON for the excellent customer service. it was really hassle free. I am looking forward for future purchases from 'Amazon only ' for my international shipment requirement. Hats off.