Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now PlasmaCar

Style Name: ProjectorChange

on January 31, 2013
The BenQ W1070 is an amazing little box. All of the features and performance are in this little box that projector enthusiasts have had to (and still do!) pay thousands of dollars in other projectors. To get the features and performance that this projector provides at this price point is a regular joe's dream. And the best part is that a nit picky videophile like myself will not feel like he has compromised performance for price. Folks are trading in their $3,000 plus projectors for the W1070 based on performance alone.

To back-peddle a bit this was the situation I was in.... I have a big air duct/bulk head going right through the middle of my theater room which has given me problems of what projector I could use. I was forced to use a short throw 720p projector (GT750) that had 3D. It was great for what it was and it served me VERY well for about a year but it was only 720p + no zoom + no len shift +... you get the idea. Placement flexibility was VERY limited and 720p wasn't that bad but you could definitely notice especially when there was text on the screen. And there is text on my screen all the time with how much sports I watch.

For quite some time I had hoped that a 1080p 3D projector would come out that fit my space needs. The W1070 was a godsend! Even if I didn't have the tight mounting space I would still get this projector.

I ceiling mounted the projector with an Atdec ceiling mount found here on Amazon and fine tuned the picture position using the Test Pattern buried in the W1070's menu. For the novice mounter, you want to make sure that your measurements in relation to len and screen position are precise before you mount the projector. For the price, the Atdec ceiling mount did a great job allowing me to fine tune angles and picture position. The wiring was simple since when I finished my basement I ran the HDMI and power right over where I had planned to mount the W1070.

For those of you with lens shift/offset questions. My setup includes the following. The top of my screen is 15" from the ceiling. The center of the W1070 lens is about 8" from the ceiling. I have the lens 8'4" away from a 100" screen. I needed the top of the projected image to be 7" below the center of the lens at 8'4" away. I set the lens shift all the way "Up" on the W1070 (which is "Down" if ceiling mounting") and that got me the EXACT offset I needed for the image to sit square. Very happy and relieved that my previous calcuations were correct and didn't have to resport to image distorting digital keystone and zoom. Keep in mind that this projector has an offset so the image will be projected UP if table mounted and DOWN if ceiling mounted. for a 100" screen at 8'4" away the range of offset places the bottom/top of the image approximately 2.5" - 7.5" inches above/below the lens depending on how you mount it. This is crucial to know how it will affect your placement options.

In classic Pro/Con fashion after about a month with the projector here are my impressesions.

-Colors are AMAZING on this projector. There is a reason it is ISF certified. The colors are fantastic out of the box but are even better when calibrated. I have mine setup on Cinema mode with Brilliant Color set to ON in EcoSmart mode and the Gamma set to 2.2. That is the best combination of brightness/color/ and contrast for my setup.
-Sharpness and clarity are amazing. with 1080p Blu Ray content I was blown away with the clarity and depth of this projector. I also have a Darbee Darblet to help enhance depth and sharpness (highly recommended) but even without the Darblet the clarity and sharpness blew my old projector away.
-Brightness is GREAT! This is a bonafide light cannon. With Brilliant Color and Smart Eco on with the Gamma set to 2.2 I can watch pretty much anything I want with pretty good contrast with the lights and lamps on in the room.
-Black levels are above average. This projector will not get inky blacks like $10k projectors will but this holds its own. I was very impressed with the contrast and black levels on dark scenes and equally impressed with how much shadow detail was preserved in dark scenes. Huge improvement over previous projectors I have owned.
-3D on this projector will blow you away. Not only is 2D content bright and clear but the 3D on this projector utilizes new 144hz technology to make it extremely smooth. With gamma controls to control brightness and contrast I found a 1.8 Gamma setting to be just right. I watched Avatar and Tron in 3D on this projector and was blown away by the strain-free viewing experience. I got the Sainsonic 144hz DLP-Link glasses for cheap on eBay and they work very well. Just make sure the L/R sync is correct otherwise it will cause eye-strain.

I don't care for...

-I wouldn't consider audible fan noise a con on this projector... its just not SUPER quiet like on larger beasts of projectors. I wasn't expecting this on this projector so I wasn't disappointed. In complete silence you can hear it... I've never noticed it while watching content so that is what matters.
-For the first week or so there is a faint smell from the fan that is basically from the bulb burning off manufacturing residue. Its not strong and not a bad smell. Just an electric metal type of smell. Its gone now and I expect this from any new projector.
-Light leakage isn't great. This would be my only official gripe on the projector. With it being so small there are less chambers and places for the light to go in the projector. This results in a fair amount of light leaking from the fan exhaust. This is emitted to the right of the image when table mounting and to the left if ceiling mounting. The good news is that there is nothing leaking on the image but on a dark scene it is noticeable and I have placed a small piece of paper to block it. (See pics) There is also a halo of light on the ceiling from my ceiling mounted W1070 - this is from the lens assembly and I suppose you could resolve this by fixing a lens hood to the lens. I don't notice the halo when watching content and my ceiling is White White so it is more noticeable because of that. I'm fine with the halo but the fan light leakage had to be taken care of.

I really do love this projector and the small gripe with the light leakage I have with it was not enough to have me not give it 6/5 starts if I could... especially for the price.
review image review image review image review image
5555 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
After putting 150 hours on the bulb I think I have a good idea how much I like this projector. Keep in mind that this projector is not in the same class as a $5,000-$20,000 projector so if you are comparing it to those you are in the wrong place. This is compared to the Optoma HD lines or the Epson Powerlites. I had an Epson projector before this (I have posted comparison pictures of the two) so I really wanted to get an Epson but then I realized how gigantic the powerlite line is and did not want something that big (I think they a little more than twice the size of this with the same picture quality.) I love the Epson brand and my friend bought the 8350 for his theatre and it looks amazing, after comparing it to this I could not see any distinguishable difference in picture quality so the size of the 1070 made me prefer it over the 8350. Next I thought about the Optoma HD20, its a little older but still a great projector. I bought one for my father in laws theatre room and it looks fantastic. He has it on a 100" screen so it is a little hard to compare it to my system. I decided to go with the 1070 because of the lens shift; the HD20 took a lot of work and perfect placement to get it setup. Now to my set up.

I have a 120" electric Favi screen on my wall. I used the Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount - Black (best mount BTW don't get any other mount!) and it keeps it close to the ceiling, there is about 3 inches between the ceiling and the top of the projector. It is mounted at 13' back, which was the farthest I could place it for my 120" screen. With the mount I used and the lens shift it only took me about 15 minutes to get it perfectly calibrated, I even had someone comment on how perfect it looked on the edges while watching a football game last week. I have it hooked up to receiver with 5.1-surround sound. My room is fairly light controlled I have three windows with blinds on them. During the day it does let some light in but you can still watch anything on it just fine. I even turn off my lights and open one of the blinds sometimes to let a little light in while I'm watching. As far as picture quality goes I am really impressed, but also it depends on the source being used. I have three things hooked up to it:

1. Dish Network Joey - For the most part its good but broadcast only goes up to 720p (it lists as 1080i but resolution wise it is the same as 720p it just has better interlacing but that's a whole other article). 720p video stretched that big you get some artifacting sometimes. Our couches are 15' away from the screen so you notice it the closer you get to the screen. Overall very watchable and very fun to watch games on, we love sports a lot at our house.

2. Apple TV 3 - I use this to airplay content from Plex and I use the apps on the Apple TV. Airplay with Plex looks great, the apps that stream video on the ATV3 look much better than the Dish signal. I got rid of my ATV2 and am now using only Plex on my ATV3 and it works great.

3. PS3 - This is where the projector really shines. I can use Plex (I'm a huge Plex fan!) with DLNA on the PS3 and it looks stunning. Pop a blu ray in and it looks as good a picture as being at the movie theatre, people are impressed when they see the picture. I think some people have in mind that a projector is grainy and not very good quality compared to an LED or Plasma but projector technology has really advanced. Video games look great as well. I mostly play the Show 13, and COD four player split screen is really fun because its high quality and you each get your own TV basically when the 120' screen is split up in four. I also have been using the PS3 to watch 3D movies since it is the only way I can play 3D .mkv rips.

To end I will list my pros and cons. For the price this is a fantastic deal and an awesome addition to complete our theatre room in our basement.

Good picture
Lens shift (only up and down no sideways)
Easy placement
Good throw distance
Nice menu
Highly customizable calibration settings (I have a free calibration from Best Buy so they are going to come do a professional one for me)
Excellent picture
Easy to program to universal remote
Inputs switch much quicker than compared to the Epson 8350 or Optoma HD20
Lots of inputs on the back if you don't use a receiver
12v switch to connect an electric screen or other automated systems to it.

The fan is a little loud; I put it on high altitude because I am at 4400 feet. I only notice it when a video is absolutely silent, if there is any noise in the video I can't hear the fan.
Small light leakage. If I had this enclosed it might bother me more but so far I have never noticed it while watching any video and neither has anyone else. I only see it when I am looking at the projector trying to notice it.
I turned off the high altitude mode because my basement is pretty cold, I ready that high altitude mode is to help keep it cooler. Since turning that off it is much quieter.
Lens cap is tethered to the system. I will never take this down and have no need to put the lens cap on so I would like to be able to stick it in my remote drawer with all my remotes I never use.
Long wait to turn back on. With all projectors I think one of the main downsides is that your room is very dark when watching a video. It can be hard to see the remote buttons if they don't light up. I have accidentally turned this off a couple times because I thought the power button was the volume button on my universal remote (hitting it twice turns it off). You have to wait about 5 minutes to turn it back on.
review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2013
I rarely write reviews, but I was so awestruck by this upgrade, I just had to.

I've owned 3 projectors(not including this one), each one being an upgrade from the previous...also with an upgrade in price. My last one was an Epson powerlite 8350. It was a notable improvement over my previous and I was happy with my $1200 purchase less than 2 years ago. My quest for 3D has been a long one. Started with my Bluray player, then recently the receiver. The last piece was the projector, which when I started looking was a crazy $4000. They did start to come down, by half...and still out of reach. My latest "wish list" item was the Optoma HD33. I had an Optoma before so I knew it would be good, but the price was about $1400. I was so close to purchasing it when this BenQ became available. I've heard about BenQ's superior performance, but wasn't willing to shell out that much cash...until now. I figured I would give it a try and return it if I wasn't completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) happy. I was hoping it would be at least as good as the Epson for 2D material and 3D would be a cool addition. I read the many reviews and pulled the trigger.

I received it 2 days later (thanks Prime) and I was stunned to see how small the box was since the Epson is a giant. I opened the Amazon box, and the BenQ box was even smaller. I started to get a little worried. Inside that box was well packed with foam...almost 2" on all sides. I figured how good could it really be. I felt a little deflated and hooked it up by just placing it on the coffee table with a stack of books for height. I used a different HDMI cable because I figured I'd need to go back and forth to see the difference and my Epson was also ceiling mounted. I have a very bright room, especially in the afternoon when I started the "test". The Hobbit (2D) was already in the Bluray player, so I started with that. Right away I noticed a difference in the detail and color. I adjusted the focus and it got even better! I immediately put in "go to disc" for showing off the system. I started with the scene when the Avatar crew first landed in Pandora jungle. I was nothing short of BLOWN AWAY!! I've seen Avatar too many times to count, but felt like I was seeing it for the first time. I watched the entire total AWE!!! I couldn't wait to see it when the room was dark. Later I also put in King Kong and watched the tyrannosaurus battle scene. I could see every scale, all the imperfections on each scale, hairs on Kong, cracked skin, dust and debris. You name it, i could see it. And this was just 2D. Already I was thrilled about my purchase...even if I had spent more...much more.

So the 3D part is on hold. Thanks to Fed-Ex policy, I wasn't at home at the time of delivery, so all I got was a note. :(
I was so mad since this was a Saturday and I received the projector on Thursday. GRRRRRRR. My expectations are pretty high now that the 3D will be nothing short of spectacular. Look for my update...I'm supposed to get the glasses today.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2013
This projector has far exceeded my expectations. I cannot describe how amazing the picture quality is when watching a 1080p blu-ray in a dark room. If you're looking for something under $1000, then this is the projector to go with. This is a great projector for a first time buyer; it will not disappoint!
review image review image
on June 13, 2015
This is a fantastic projector but unless you can get it on sale for about $650 like I did you're better off getting the newer BenQ HT1075 or even better the short throw HT1085ST.

This projector is very bright, has a lot of focal adjustment, and is very quite if not on high altitude mode. The color and picture quality are outstanding too. The picture quality is so good I was actually shocked when I first set it up: it looked like I had a giant LCD TV in my wall. Granted I have a blacked out game room so if you have more light (see the single projector image) the image will be a little washed out but the image looks a lot brighter than that photo implies.

The projector also has vertical keystone adjustment but doesn't have horizontal keystone. That means you can fix the image if you want to mount it as high up as possible, so you're not banging your head on it, but it has to be absolutely, perfectly facing the projection surface at exactly 90 degrees.

I liked the first one I bought so much I bought two more for a surround display.

Finally, you need to make sure you get a good screen. I got this very high quality but inexpensive screen from Silver Ticket Products and am very please with it:
review image review image review image review image review image
on March 17, 2014
I'm in the process of finishing my basement.The walls just got painted so I figured what the heck, lets see what this thing has got. I hung it from the ceiling(with the benq mount which worked great) and just through it on a brown wall. Me and my buddies couldnt believe the picture with a big window and walkout window letting in all sorts of light and with it being displayed on a painted wall. As the sun dropped the picture kept getting better. At night, I don't how the picture could get any better and I haven't even played with any settings yet.

As for the fan noise? I didnt even notice it, although I do have 9' ceilings so it is pretty high up. Also, I havent seen any rainbow affect.

Highly recommended so far! Hopefully it lasts!
review image review image
on December 21, 2014
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I had to move this projector twice. Once because my projector was still falling outside the 120 inch screen I bought for my cinema room and now one side of the projector is not right. I couldnt find a proper solution, if some one can help, I would high appreciate it. This is a bummer
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2015
Wow. What a value! No one can believe that I pulled off my viewing experience for under 1k. Honestly I cant! Pull the trigger and you won't regret it.

Quick update- after now viewing 10 or so movies I find myself so satisfied. For someone that reads reviews almost too much I couldn't be happier in the decision. Use projectorcentral to get your measurements to help you undetstand the short throw. I provided the picture so that it helps understand the location to the couch. I can't hear anything from the projector when the movies on. I really didn't need to short throw but again the quality and price outweighed the location of the unit.
review image
on July 7, 2015
This projector is the BEST! To the color reproduction to the size and quality of the image is just amazing. I also got the QualGear PRB-717 for a projector mount and it works great. The projector is a lot smaller than other projectors of this quality and is worth so much more than its price point. If your looking for a amazing projector and looking at others in the price range, this is the one you should get! I have almost 500 Hours on mine so far and I'm still impressed. People come over and say to me "I never knew a projector could look this good," All I say is I told you so!
I Have a Review of this Projector and also my Room Setup on YouTube! Check It Out!
My Home Theater Setup (Benq W1070):
Room & Home Theater Setup Benq W1070 (Update):
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 11, 2014
A co-worker convinced me to switch from my 51 inch plasma to a projectors. After months of research and thought, I settled on this one. This was my first projector and I had serious budgetary restrictions on what I could spend. And I love it. I went from a 51 inch screen to over 120 inch screen (my wall)!! I may never watch a movie in a theater again, except mine!! I'm blown away by the size, color and clarity of the images and that is without a screen (something I'm definitely going to work on next). This is my first projector so I don't have a lot of experience or knowledge, but this is amazing. 3D capable, but glasses come separate so I can't comment on its 3D performance.

Out of the box settings are great. I used a Video Essentials Calibration disc. In my humble, non-expert opinion, the factory settings are great. It seemed that the factory color settings were very close to spot on using the included color gels in the disc. The projector has a very thorough, if not intimidating, amount of settings you can adjust. I basically stayed away from them in fear of messing something up. However the unit has a restore default settings option in case your tweaks go to far and you forget the original settings.

I have the projector on a book case directly behind the primary seating area. While fan noise is noticeable if you listen for it, it has not detracted from the experience. I imagine that will diminish once I get it ceiling mounted.

As other reviewers reported, there is some light leakage from the fan vents. I have not been disturbed by it. Purists may be bothered, but as a first time projector owner, it is not an issue for me.

I have not played much with the vertical shift option. Based on my limited experience, I'm not noticing a great deal of up or down movement off the image.

Remote control has lighted buttons, a definite plus for watching in a darkened room and you're wanting to adjust settings and what not.

The projector comes with a speaker. I do not use it because I have a home theater system so I can't comment on the sound quality. But I imagine if you're thinking of a home theater projector, you already have your sound system set up.

My first night with it, I invited friends over to watch Captain America: the Winter Soldier. My friends were blown away by the size, color and clarity of the image (remember, no screen, just the wall in my basement). I was blown away as well. I saw the movie in the theater. This was my second time seeing it - now in my home. My friends kept saying, I can't believe that's just your wall and we're in your basement.

I'm truly in love with this projector. Picture and color quality is great. There are some difficulties with black levels as revealed by my calibration disc but this may be an issue inherent with projectors. If you're looking for a budget projector, definitely look into this one. Great bang for the buck. While there may be projectors that out perform this one, based on my research you will definitely pay more for them. Considering that flatscreen TVs of a comparable price don't even come close to the image size this projector can produce, if you want a big picture, definitely consider this projector

UPDATE: I have since mounted the unit to the ceiling. Vertical lens shift works and does provide a noticeable shift up and down. It is in a slightly awkward place on the top of the lens and requires a flathead screw driver. It wasn't a problem reaching it when it was sitting on a table. But now that its mounted to the ceiling, you will need a step ladder or chair to reach. Fan noise has improved with its overhead placement but not entirely gone. It is mounted a few feet behind and directly above from the primary viewing seat.