on January 31, 2013
The BenQ W1070 is an amazing little box. All of the features and performance are in this little box that projector enthusiasts have had to (and still do!) pay thousands of dollars in other projectors. To get the features and performance that this projector provides at this price point is a regular joe's dream. And the best part is that a nit picky videophile like myself will not feel like he has compromised performance for price. Folks are trading in their $3,000 plus projectors for the W1070 based on performance alone.

To back-peddle a bit this was the situation I was in.... I have a big air duct/bulk head going right through the middle of my theater room which has given me problems of what projector I could use. I was forced to use a short throw 720p projector (GT750) that had 3D. It was great for what it was and it served me VERY well for about a year but it was only 720p + no zoom + no len shift +... you get the idea. Placement flexibility was VERY limited and 720p wasn't that bad but you could definitely notice especially when there was text on the screen. And there is text on my screen all the time with how much sports I watch.

For quite some time I had hoped that a 1080p 3D projector would come out that fit my space needs. The W1070 was a godsend! Even if I didn't have the tight mounting space I would still get this projector.

I ceiling mounted the projector with an Atdec ceiling mount found here on Amazon and fine tuned the picture position using the Test Pattern buried in the W1070's menu. For the novice mounter, you want to make sure that your measurements in relation to len and screen position are precise before you mount the projector. For the price, the Atdec ceiling mount did a great job allowing me to fine tune angles and picture position. The wiring was simple since when I finished my basement I ran the HDMI and power right over where I had planned to mount the W1070.

For those of you with lens shift/offset questions. My setup includes the following. The top of my screen is 15" from the ceiling. The center of the W1070 lens is about 8" from the ceiling. I have the lens 8'4" away from a 100" screen. I needed the top of the projected image to be 7" below the center of the lens at 8'4" away. I set the lens shift all the way "Up" on the W1070 (which is "Down" if ceiling mounting") and that got me the EXACT offset I needed for the image to sit square. Very happy and relieved that my previous calcuations were correct and didn't have to resport to image distorting digital keystone and zoom. Keep in mind that this projector has an offset so the image will be projected UP if table mounted and DOWN if ceiling mounted. for a 100" screen at 8'4" away the range of offset places the bottom/top of the image approximately 2.5" - 7.5" inches above/below the lens depending on how you mount it. This is crucial to know how it will affect your placement options.

In classic Pro/Con fashion after about a month with the projector here are my impressesions.

PROs

-Colors are AMAZING on this projector. There is a reason it is ISF certified. The colors are fantastic out of the box but are even better when calibrated. I have mine setup on Cinema mode with Brilliant Color set to ON in EcoSmart mode and the Gamma set to 2.2. That is the best combination of brightness/color/ and contrast for my setup.
-Sharpness and clarity are amazing. with 1080p Blu Ray content I was blown away with the clarity and depth of this projector. I also have a Darbee Darblet to help enhance depth and sharpness (highly recommended) but even without the Darblet the clarity and sharpness blew my old projector away.
-Brightness is GREAT! This is a bonafide light cannon. With Brilliant Color and Smart Eco on with the Gamma set to 2.2 I can watch pretty much anything I want with pretty good contrast with the lights and lamps on in the room.
-Black levels are above average. This projector will not get inky blacks like $10k projectors will but this holds its own. I was very impressed with the contrast and black levels on dark scenes and equally impressed with how much shadow detail was preserved in dark scenes. Huge improvement over previous projectors I have owned.
-3D on this projector will blow you away. Not only is 2D content bright and clear but the 3D on this projector utilizes new 144hz technology to make it extremely smooth. With gamma controls to control brightness and contrast I found a 1.8 Gamma setting to be just right. I watched Avatar and Tron in 3D on this projector and was blown away by the strain-free viewing experience. I got the Sainsonic 144hz DLP-Link glasses for cheap on eBay and they work very well. Just make sure the L/R sync is correct otherwise it will cause eye-strain.

I don't care for...

-I wouldn't consider audible fan noise a con on this projector... its just not SUPER quiet like on larger beasts of projectors. I wasn't expecting this on this projector so I wasn't disappointed. In complete silence you can hear it... I've never noticed it while watching content so that is what matters.
-For the first week or so there is a faint smell from the fan that is basically from the bulb burning off manufacturing residue. Its not strong and not a bad smell. Just an electric metal type of smell. Its gone now and I expect this from any new projector.
-Light leakage isn't great. This would be my only official gripe on the projector. With it being so small there are less chambers and places for the light to go in the projector. This results in a fair amount of light leaking from the fan exhaust. This is emitted to the right of the image when table mounting and to the left if ceiling mounting. The good news is that there is nothing leaking on the image but on a dark scene it is noticeable and I have placed a small piece of paper to block it. (See pics) There is also a halo of light on the ceiling from my ceiling mounted W1070 - this is from the lens assembly and I suppose you could resolve this by fixing a lens hood to the lens. I don't notice the halo when watching content and my ceiling is White White so it is more noticeable because of that. I'm fine with the halo but the fan light leakage had to be taken care of.

I really do love this projector and the small gripe with the light leakage I have with it was not enough to have me not give it 6/5 starts if I could... especially for the price.
review image review image review image review image
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2013
I rarely write reviews, but I was so awestruck by this upgrade, I just had to.

I've owned 3 projectors(not including this one), each one being an upgrade from the previous...also with an upgrade in price. My last one was an Epson powerlite 8350. It was a notable improvement over my previous and I was happy with my $1200 purchase less than 2 years ago. My quest for 3D has been a long one. Started with my Bluray player, then recently the receiver. The last piece was the projector, which when I started looking was a crazy $4000. They did start to come down, by half...and still out of reach. My latest "wish list" item was the Optoma HD33. I had an Optoma before so I knew it would be good, but the price was about $1400. I was so close to purchasing it when this BenQ became available. I've heard about BenQ's superior performance, but wasn't willing to shell out that much cash...until now. I figured I would give it a try and return it if I wasn't completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) happy. I was hoping it would be at least as good as the Epson for 2D material and 3D would be a cool addition. I read the many reviews and pulled the trigger.

I received it 2 days later (thanks Prime) and I was stunned to see how small the box was since the Epson is a giant. I opened the Amazon box, and the BenQ box was even smaller. I started to get a little worried. Inside that box was well packed with foam...almost 2" on all sides. I figured how good could it really be. I felt a little deflated and hooked it up by just placing it on the coffee table with a stack of books for height. I used a different HDMI cable because I figured I'd need to go back and forth to see the difference and my Epson was also ceiling mounted. I have a very bright room, especially in the afternoon when I started the "test". The Hobbit (2D) was already in the Bluray player, so I started with that. Right away I noticed a difference in the detail and color. I adjusted the focus and it got even better! I immediately put in Avatar...my "go to disc" for showing off the system. I started with the scene when the Avatar crew first landed in Pandora jungle. I was nothing short of BLOWN AWAY!! I've seen Avatar too many times to count, but felt like I was seeing it for the first time. I watched the entire movie..in total AWE!!! I couldn't wait to see it when the room was dark. Later I also put in King Kong and watched the tyrannosaurus battle scene. I could see every scale, all the imperfections on each scale, hairs on Kong, cracked skin, dust and debris. You name it, i could see it. And this was just 2D. Already I was thrilled about my purchase...even if I had spent more...much more.

So the 3D part is on hold. Thanks to Fed-Ex policy, I wasn't at home at the time of delivery, so all I got was a note. :(
I was so mad since this was a Saturday and I received the projector on Thursday. GRRRRRRR. My expectations are pretty high now that the 3D will be nothing short of spectacular. Look for my update...I'm supposed to get the glasses today.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2013
The BenQW1070 is the first of a new trend of miniaturized 1080p 2D/3D home theater projectors which use the latest Texas Instruments chipset combined with an improved and faster Dark Chip 3 (DC3). Last year's DLP home theater projectors were overall unreliable, and could even not provide 1:1 pixel mapping. Further they were crippled with the DC2's rather poor native contrast. They were also larger, more expensive and consumed more power.
The key 3D improvement here, previously only available on $30K DLP projectors and commercial movie theaters, is triple-flash (144Hz) image processing. This technique reduces or eliminates annoying (eyestrain, headaches) image flicker in 3D mode by repeating 24Hz images three times for each eye (24*3*2=144Hz).
Improvement in optical efficiency allows for lower wattage and longer life lamps. The fine tuning the color wheel results in a brighter, higher contrast image with colors that pop.
The new SmartEco Mode, which cleverly adjusts the lamp power to maximize power saving by delivering the best contrast and brightness performance using only as much light as needed. This modulating of the lamp was previously only found in the upper 1% market (SIM2). It also greatly extends the bulb life by thousands of hours.
In the past Brilliant Color was more of a liability than a benefit. It is improved with the new chipset used on the W1070. The W1070 is fairly well calibrated out-of-the-box but also includes a full color management system which works rather well.

Competition
The $4K Sony 50ES LCOS is also a bright 2D/3D projector with improved black level
The $2-3K Mitsubishi 7900/8000 DLP cannot generate 144Hz triple flash. The 3D is dim
The $3K JVC X35 offers excellent 2D performance but no color calibration controls. The 3D is also quite dim with some ghosting
Optoma will have a replacement for the DC2 based HD33 DLP out by this summer and is expected to process 144Hz
Acer will introduce the H6510BD DLP in April. Hopefully with Frame Interpolation
BenQ will be coming out with a W1400 in April for ~$1500. Hopefully with Frame Interpolation

Volatile Pricing
The W1070 was initially introduced for $849CN at NCIX. BenQ press release states MSRP would be $999.
For January 2013 it's selling for $1099 (new MSRP?) with new egg at $1299! Be aware of dealers restocking fees or no refund policies. Always buy with excellent return privileges and no restocking fee, such as directly from Amazon.

Limitations
As good as the 144Hz triple flash is, the W1070 has no frame interpolation. This is a nice feature to have for both 2D and 3D.
The smaller the projector the noisier they typically are, especially on the High fan setting.
Mounting and throw distance need to be investigated before purchase as the throw distance is someone shorting than previous or typical projectors. The vertical offset is very limited. The W1080ST is a variation of the W1070 with an even shorter throw lens. It is estimated to arrive in February
Be aware that certain forums are supported by projectors lines they stock. Their steering is usually subtle and one of omission but can persuasive when required with enforcement actions by administrators.
2929 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2013
After putting 150 hours on the bulb I think I have a good idea how much I like this projector. Keep in mind that this projector is not in the same class as a $5,000-$20,000 projector so if you are comparing it to those you are in the wrong place. This is compared to the Optoma HD lines or the Epson Powerlites. I had an Epson projector before this (I have posted comparison pictures of the two) so I really wanted to get an Epson but then I realized how gigantic the powerlite line is and did not want something that big (I think they a little more than twice the size of this with the same picture quality.) I love the Epson brand and my friend bought the 8350 for his theatre and it looks amazing, after comparing it to this I could not see any distinguishable difference in picture quality so the size of the 1070 made me prefer it over the 8350. Next I thought about the Optoma HD20, its a little older but still a great projector. I bought one for my father in laws theatre room and it looks fantastic. He has it on a 100" screen so it is a little hard to compare it to my system. I decided to go with the 1070 because of the lens shift; the HD20 took a lot of work and perfect placement to get it setup. Now to my set up.

I have a 120" electric Favi screen on my wall. I used the Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount - Black (best mount BTW don't get any other mount!) and it keeps it close to the ceiling, there is about 3 inches between the ceiling and the top of the projector. It is mounted at 13' back, which was the farthest I could place it for my 120" screen. With the mount I used and the lens shift it only took me about 15 minutes to get it perfectly calibrated, I even had someone comment on how perfect it looked on the edges while watching a football game last week. I have it hooked up to receiver with 5.1-surround sound. My room is fairly light controlled I have three windows with blinds on them. During the day it does let some light in but you can still watch anything on it just fine. I even turn off my lights and open one of the blinds sometimes to let a little light in while I'm watching. As far as picture quality goes I am really impressed, but also it depends on the source being used. I have three things hooked up to it:

1. Dish Network Joey - For the most part its good but broadcast only goes up to 720p (it lists as 1080i but resolution wise it is the same as 720p it just has better interlacing but that's a whole other article). 720p video stretched that big you get some artifacting sometimes. Our couches are 15' away from the screen so you notice it the closer you get to the screen. Overall very watchable and very fun to watch games on, we love sports a lot at our house.

2. Apple TV 3 - I use this to airplay content from Plex and I use the apps on the Apple TV. Airplay with Plex looks great, the apps that stream video on the ATV3 look much better than the Dish signal. I got rid of my ATV2 and am now using only Plex on my ATV3 and it works great.

3. PS3 - This is where the projector really shines. I can use Plex (I'm a huge Plex fan!) with DLNA on the PS3 and it looks stunning. Pop a blu ray in and it looks as good a picture as being at the movie theatre, people are impressed when they see the picture. I think some people have in mind that a projector is grainy and not very good quality compared to an LED or Plasma but projector technology has really advanced. Video games look great as well. I mostly play the Show 13, and COD four player split screen is really fun because its high quality and you each get your own TV basically when the 120' screen is split up in four. I also have been using the PS3 to watch 3D movies since it is the only way I can play 3D .mkv rips.

To end I will list my pros and cons. For the price this is a fantastic deal and an awesome addition to complete our theatre room in our basement.

Pros:
Inexpensive
Small/lightweight
Good picture
Lens shift (only up and down no sideways)
Easy placement
Good throw distance
Nice menu
Highly customizable calibration settings (I have a free calibration from Best Buy so they are going to come do a professional one for me)
Excellent picture
Easy to program to universal remote
Inputs switch much quicker than compared to the Epson 8350 or Optoma HD20
Lots of inputs on the back if you don't use a receiver
12v switch to connect an electric screen or other automated systems to it.

Cons:
The fan is a little loud; I put it on high altitude because I am at 4400 feet. I only notice it when a video is absolutely silent, if there is any noise in the video I can't hear the fan.
Small light leakage. If I had this enclosed it might bother me more but so far I have never noticed it while watching any video and neither has anyone else. I only see it when I am looking at the projector trying to notice it.
I turned off the high altitude mode because my basement is pretty cold, I ready that high altitude mode is to help keep it cooler. Since turning that off it is much quieter.
Lens cap is tethered to the system. I will never take this down and have no need to put the lens cap on so I would like to be able to stick it in my remote drawer with all my remotes I never use.
Long wait to turn back on. With all projectors I think one of the main downsides is that your room is very dark when watching a video. It can be hard to see the remote buttons if they don't light up. I have accidentally turned this off a couple times because I thought the power button was the volume button on my universal remote (hitting it twice turns it off). You have to wait about 5 minutes to turn it back on.
review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2013
This projector has far exceeded my expectations. I cannot describe how amazing the picture quality is when watching a 1080p blu-ray in a dark room. If you're looking for something under $1000, then this is the projector to go with. This is a great projector for a first time buyer; it will not disappoint!
review image review image
on March 17, 2014
I'm in the process of finishing my basement.The walls just got painted so I figured what the heck, lets see what this thing has got. I hung it from the ceiling(with the benq mount which worked great) and just through it on a brown wall. Me and my buddies couldnt believe the picture with a big window and walkout window letting in all sorts of light and with it being displayed on a painted wall. As the sun dropped the picture kept getting better. At night, I don't how the picture could get any better and I haven't even played with any settings yet.

As for the fan noise? I didnt even notice it, although I do have 9' ceilings so it is pretty high up. Also, I havent seen any rainbow affect.

Highly recommended so far! Hopefully it lasts!
review image review image
on July 7, 2014
I bought this along with a Elite Screens VMAX120XWH2 VMAX2 Electric Projector Screen 120 inch screen for my neighbor. Long story short, my neighbor is not too tech savvy when it comes to projectors. I'm a tech guru and love to do research on new technology.

He first went to Best Buy and told them he had about a $1500 budget for a home theater projector setup. They basically started laughing in his face telling him there is no such set up at that price range. Anything in that range is pure junk. They were trying to sell him on a $4500 and up setup. He very wisely left the store disappointed.

The next day he contacted me and told me what happened at the local best Buy store, first thing I told him "NEVER go to Best Buy to buy technology stuff" Unless its on clearance those people are useless.

I immediately sat down with him and started doing like 5 hours of research on projectors and screens and found this BenQ 1070w projector. I was a bit skeptical for the price range but the really great reviews on Amazon had never failed me before so we bought it.

Setup was a breeze, in the end, the projector, the screen, an Onkio home theater speaker setup with amplifier, speaker wires and all connecting hardware with tax came around $1660. TAKE THAT BEST BUY!!!

How did it look? IMPRESSIVE!!!! I was knocked over by the clarity and sharpness it had on a 120" screen. I brought in several BlueRay movies like Alien to test the dark scenes and high action and sci-fi movies and we were blown away!!!

I now have this projector on my radar and will be buying it soon for myself. Any questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2014
I was looking for a projector to upgrade my home theater and wanted something mainly for 3d movies (I LOVE a good 3d movie) and something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. After reading just about every website and every review known to man, I narrowed my choice down to the Optoma HD131XE and this BenQ W1070. The choice between the two seemed, at first, difficult. As I continued reading, it seems the only advantage for the Optoma are the deeper black levels. However, after digging deeper, the reason for the supposedly deeper blacks on the Optoma is due to the fact that it uses a lower wattage bulb; not something I want...plus, you could just throw a cheap 10$ N2 filter on the BenQ and bam, problem solved (essentially that's what the optoma mimics with it's lower powered bulb).
Furthermore, the choice between the two became even easier to make after I read that the Optoma uses a 4x business style RGBCMY color wheel that artificially enhances whites and creates a marketing gimmick higher lumens rating. Meanwhile the BenQ uses a 6x true movie theater style RGBRGB color wheel. That alone decided it for me.
I mounted my BenQ to the ceiling and have watched a couple 3d movies and another 2d. I have to say, omg...wow, this thing is really insane. The blacks are not that dark, but who the heck cares? The image off a bluray (not the same if streaming from internet or any other file) is so sharp and the colors are just...wow! I had to play with the 3d to figure things out, but once I did I found myself sitting there and trying to shoo away the objects popping out; especially on Gravity when Sandra Bullock is crying (so cool). Compared to the cinema, in my dedicated theater sitting 9 feet away from 105" screen and 5.1 surround; I prefer my 3d experience, I think the image is WAY sharper than what passive 3d can deliver. Oh, and if you're worried about image brightness? I have no idea why you'd want a brighter image? In fact, I prefer wearing my Sainsonic even watching 2d, just to dim the brightness a little.
Last thing, I had a friend over who installs professional and higher end theaters. He said he deals with BenQ but never recommends because of the price and truthfully, he's never even demoed one. His thoughts after coming over? He's going to buy one for his home:).
Bottom line, I'm glad I spent the extra 90$ on this projector over the Optoma. I know, just based on the color wheel and bulb strength, that I'm getting a better image and peace of mind that I made the right choice. Had I purchased the Optoma I would have constantly been watching for washed out images and wondering if I made the best choice. Pull the trigger on the BenQ, you won't be disappointed!

Gamers, I don't play much but my son loves to play his kids games on xbox 360 and compared to the 50" LCD TV, this thing looks even better.

One more thing: it's difficult to find material that will max out what this thing can do. I hate streaming video via netflix or VUDU because, even though they say "trueHD" their file size is like 2GB compared to 50GB off a bluray. If you want the best image on this thing, you need a good bluray player.
on December 21, 2014
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I had to move this projector twice. Once because my projector was still falling outside the 120 inch screen I bought for my cinema room and now one side of the projector is not right. I couldnt find a proper solution, if some one can help, I would high appreciate it. This is a bummer
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a fantastic projector but unless you can get it on sale for about $650 like I did you're better off getting the newer BenQ HT1075 or even better the short throw HT1085ST.

This projector is very bright, has a lot of focal adjustment, and is very quite if not on high altitude mode. The color and picture quality are outstanding too. The picture quality is so good I was actually shocked when I first set it up: it looked like I had a giant LCD TV in my wall. Granted I have a blacked out game room so if you have more light (see the single projector image) the image will be a little washed out but the image looks a lot brighter than that photo implies.

The projector also has vertical keystone adjustment but doesn't have horizontal keystone. That means you can fix the image if you want to mount it as high up as possible, so you're not banging your head on it, but it has to be absolutely, perfectly facing the projection surface at exactly 90 degrees.

I liked the first one I bought so much I bought two more for a surround display.

Finally, you need to make sure you get a good screen. I got this very high quality but inexpensive screen from Silver Ticket Products and am very please with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGVHZSA
review image review image review image review image review image