5.0 out of 5 stars Benq 1080st review
Published 13 months ago by Sally Ortiz

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but slightly off...
This BenQ is my first projector. My first impression once I unboxed the projector and hooked it up was "WOW! This is amazing" even with projecting onto my blank white wall. The colors are vibrant and the brightness and contrast is perfectly acceptable to me. I bought the projector mainly to use outdoors at night for family and friends to watch backyard movies on...
Published 1 month ago by J. Boone

5.0 out of 5 stars Benq 1080st review, November 26, 2013
This review is from: BenQ W1080ST 1080p 3D Short Throw DLP Home Theater Projector (White) (Electronics)
I have been searching for a projector since last black Friday. Over the past year I have had many models reach the top of my list. I did extensive research on all products, 3d glass, cables ect.... The end result was my purchase of the Benq 1080st. I can honestly say it was one of the best purchases of my life. It will truely change the way you watch TV or movies. I use it everyday for TV viewing and 3D movies. I have it about 7 feet from the wall and it displays about 140 inches. Think about that for a second....140 inches of 1080p glory.

Set up:
Very easy (took maybe 10min, most was moving calbe wires and stuff).
Anyone semi familar with an HD TV should have no problems navigating the menu on the Benq. Changing the colors, brightness and contrast will seem familar. Setting the lamp to the power setting is too easy (econo is still bright enough to use for everything). Setting the zoom and adjusting the focus is easy and fun to play around with. As with most other reviews I would highly recommend an additional sound system of some type.

Picture Quality:
The TV I replaced was a 46inch Samsung. I can honestly say this has a better picture. It is bright, crisp and clear. If you have some form of Comcast (Xfinity) most show are displayed in 720p. That is no fault of the benq but the original broadcast signal. Still looks really good. Any 3d movie rental on comcast is displayed in 1080i. That looks very close to movie theater 3D. Bluray and Bluray 3D display at 1080p. When I saw the picture for the first time in 1080p 3d, I laughed in hysteria because I could not believe my eyes! It was amazing! The nice thing about the benq is that every time you either change a channel or switch inputs, on the top left of the display it show the input source and image (720p, 1080i or 1080p). That is how I discovered Comcast was broadcasting in 720p and quick call in confrimed this. However you watch or whatever you watch the picture is going to be bright. Adjust the colors alittle and you have a great looking movie theater in your house.

The Benq 1080st projector itself:
Very good quality. The unit feels very well built. It looks nice and sleek. The fan noise to me is almost non-existant. It not nearly as loud as an Xbox 360. It does have a fan to keep everything cool and I would say it is not even as loud as a computer. Really it is a non issue. All the correct inputs are there. I even had a conversation with my friend on how the Benq must have been made so there would be no issues. The people at Benq must really looked at every customer complaint before making the 1080st. It is very impressive.

3D quality:
Very good. At first in to be very honest I was not too impressed. Then I adjusted the brightness down and contrast up, changed the gamma level and adjusted the CMYK color levels up by 12 on each.....my jaw dropped (changing these setting is very easy to do). It has good depth and is very clear. I bought the rechargable 3D glasses and would highly recommend them. The screen does have a red hue when your glasses are not on and 3D is playing, agian a non-issue. It is simply amazing lifting the glasses up on your face and then putting them back down and seeing how the 3D works. Regular boradcast 3D in 720p is not bad at all and if you do plan on gettig a 3D bluray play you will be amazed. No reason to ever to the movies again. I found myself constantly talking through the movie on how great it looked and how it doesnt seem fair to have this in my house.

Overall this is worth every penny. Every single person that has been lucky enough (lol) to see this in my house thinks I spent at least 5k on this projector. Thats what you get from Benq: big picture small price. I have read hundreds of reviews before my purchase of the 1080st. All I have to say is read this review and then buy it. You will be very happy you did. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My First, and I Love It, May 19, 2013
This is my first personal projector, otherwise I've only seen other people's and the ones I buy for work presentation setups. But I have to say, in my opinion it is absolutely fantastic, clear crisp picture that even manages to ignore nearly all the light pollution that comes from the door of my split level, the only exception is when the scene is super dark/black for obvious reason, if there is any real light to the scene, you really cant tell.

Like I said, the image is sharp a vivid, great brightness, everything just looks right, I pretty much feel like I have a 100in TV on my wall. Absolutely love the short throw, I have a moderately small man cave and on top of that I wanted to be able to do motion stuff with kinect, wii, etc. so I needed to be able to keep movements from getting in the way, mission accomplished, I can stand 4ft from my screen and not be in the way of the projection, giving me plenty of space to move around.

Other Notes:
+Runs very near silent, the only time I notice the fan is when there is nothing else to hear.
+Never used the built in speaker so can't comment but others make it sound like its decent, really though, if you're doing something like this, don't cheat yourself using built in speakers, get a real setup, even if its only like 2.1 or 3.1 or even just a sound bar(they make some pretty good ones these days).
+As others will tell you, adjustments are to account for angels etc are very limited so be careful and get it right.
+I don't feel I notice any of the classic projector visual oddities, I have a pretty nice fixed frame screen from Elite Screens. Check them out, good quality/price and they really aren't that hard to get put together. Manual isn't always 100% clear so be careful but its still pretty good.
+Haven't picked up glasses yet. Looking at some after I finish this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but slightly off..., November 6, 2014

BUT... there is one thing that bothers me. I have played with the focus and find that I cannot achieve an evenly focused image. I specifically wanted a full HD projector and was expecting a razor sharp image because it IS full HD using DLP technology and I am feeding it a full HD signal via HDMI. The focus is slightly off on the upper part of the image compared to the lower part. And vice-verse if I adjust the focus opposite. If I adjust the zoom slightly, the unfocused area changes to another area. For movies, this is not so bad and hardly noticeable. But when projecting text such as the channel guide on DirecTV (running at 1080 res) or from my laptop (also at full HD res), you can see a distinct focus difference from the upper to lower part of the projected image. In the focused area, the image is razor sharp and you can see each pixel clearly. But in the unfocused area, the image is quite soft.

I have a 114" Elite Screens screen coming on Monday and I will see how I can tolerate this focus issue on a proper screen. I realize that in the big picture this projector is not exactly high-end, but I do think the focus COULD be better. It seems to be a quality issue with the lens more than anything else because I can push slightly down on the lens and get a nearly 100% sharp focused image. $899 may not be a lot of money to some folks, but to me, this was a major purchase and I expected a better focus.

The lens/focus issue aside, I am really impressed with this projector. The short throw lens will allow me to use it in the house for a 114" picture at reasonable distance. But I can also take it outside and project a GIANT 200"+ image that is still BRIGHT and vibrant.

My every day use TV is a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70" SXRD that has been ISF calibrated. It has a stunning picture. BUT, after adjusting the settings on this BenQ projector, focus issue ignored, the colors and detail level darn near rival my 70" Sony! I was very impressed. You can tweak and tune the BenQ to give you a vivid eye-popping picture, OR adjust it to be more natural and film-like.

UPDATE: I have to give a HUGE thumbs up to Amazon's customer service. They overnight express shipped me a new projector and it arrived today. This new projector is AWESOME! The focus is 99.9% perfect from top to bottom, corner to corner. Now I am absolutely in love with this BenQ projector!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring movie theater at your home.., February 6, 2014
*************** Original Review 6-Feb-2014 *********************

This is my first review on Amazon. Although, I keep buying many items from Amazon and I really liked few of them and were worth giving 5 star rating, none of the item impressed me so much to write a review. But I am so much impressed with this buy that I decided to write my 1st review.

I have already used Vivitek Qumi Q2 and IncrediSonic LED projectors. These are very small size portable projectors with long lasting LED lamp. Although these projectors project good quality image, they can not produce vivid colors. I use to feel like I am watching old days Eastman color movie.
LED technology in projector has still long way to get mature. For this reason, I decided to buy normal lamp projector even though such projectors are not very portable and requires costlier lamp replacements.

After about 2 months research I finalized buying either BENQ W1070 or W1080ST. Both projectors are same except throw distance. Finally I ordered W1080ST.
I got this projector on 23-Jan. It is manufactured in Nov-13 and has FirmWare ver. 1.04. It has backlit(red color) remote.

Here is my observation

1) Image quality is EXCELLENT with vivid colors and as good as what you see in movie theater. I am not using any screen and projecting image on bare wall.

2) Brightness is very good and I can watch movie with few lights on. But with all lights switched off, I feel like I am watching 120 inch LED TV.
Even in movie theater all lights are switched off for better viewing experience. So, do not set your expectations to unrealistic levels. LCD/LED TVs will always have better brightness than projector image.

I always use Smart Eco mode with brightness level 55 and that is more than enough.

3) Projector speaker produce loud enough sound and I am still using it while watching movies. But watching a 120 inch screen with inbuilt speaker is not a good idea and I plan to buy sound system to get a real movie theater feeling. If I connect projector to laptop using VGA cable then sound do not come from projector speaker(it will be from laptop speakers). If I use my chromecast then sound comes from projector speakers.

4) Projector keeps track of lamp hours used and you acn see it in menu.

Do not listen to professional reviewers who criticize this projector for light leakage, fan noise, rainbow effect. Earning bread and butter by criticizing every good product is their job.

5) My observation is that there is minute amount of light leakage but this projector produces image which is 1000 times brighter than leaked light and I won't notice leaked light even in dark scene.

6) Fan noise is very minimum. My laptop fan produces more noise than projector. Maybe projectors which are manufactured in Nov-13 might have lesser fan noise.

7) After watching 100 hrs of movies, I have not yet seen rainbow effect.

8) Remote works fine and it is not necessary to point remote at projector to operate it. Remote has "Light" button on right side and when I press this button entire remote gets illuminated with backlit red color light. Then I can see and press whatever button I want to use. This is nice feature till the time I get familiar with button locations.

I wish BENQ had provided USB port on this projector. They provided all kinds of input/slots but forget to provide a USB port. My Chromecast needs USB power and I have to keep laptop nearby to provide power to it. Projector has Mini USB B port and I need to check if I can power up Chromecast using mini USB B to USB female connector.

Finally, I am Very Happy with this purchase. The last time I was so happy when I was teenager and my father gifted me motor bike.
I already have recommended this projector to many of my colleagues.

*************** Update 25-Jul-2014 *********************

Its been 6 months (330 hrs) I am using this projector. It is still functioning normally. No fan noise, no rainbow effects.

Projector body has ventilation holes and is mostly open and you can see internal circuits quiet easily. This is good for ventilation purpose but

1) If your house is roach\bug infested then be careful. Bugs can easily enter inside and might cause damage to internal circuit.
2) If you plan to use it outdoor\dusty area then dust can easily enter inside and might get gathered around lens.

Just keep it safe from roach, dust and enjoy your movie theater.

3.0 out of 5 stars full review, August 21, 2013
the good: i have the projector in a small room, 11 1/2 feet from the wall, and it's projecting a 200" image! call it theater of the absurd, but i like that senselessly huge picture. right now it's projecting onto my wall, with no professional material, and the picture is still superb. crisp, vibrant, and so real. obviously i'll be getting a real screen soon to stop the color bleeding from the uneven surface. i just watched mud in 1080p and it looked just like the movies, with that oh-so-real effect from the DLP chip. the projector is quiet for 33db, i don't notice it on because my stereo conquers the noise. obviously there's a lot of heat coming from it, but this is normal for any projector. there is no motion blur whatsoever, and the contrast and black levels are superb. there is not much light coming from the projector unlike some other ones i've seen. the picture is still overall square which some short throws i have heard of issues with. the pixels are still tiny and not noticeable except from a very close distance.

now, onto why it gets 3 stars....

the bad: there is an issue with consistent focus across the screen, but only if you have it set to the minimal screen size setting. the first one i got had a portion on the top left and bottom right middle that wouldn't come into complete focus, at or around 85% focus, on the smallest screen setting, creating a noticeable blur on text, and a sometimes noticeable blur in motion. when setting the screen to the completely full size, there is absolutely no problem at all with the focus consistency. i thought this may be a quality control issue but the second one is the same way, albeit with less of an issue. the focus all around is pretty good but on the bottom right middle its about 90% focus as compared to 100% focus, again, only with the smallest screen setting. this only occurs when the screen is set to it's minimum size. when i have it set anywhere past this the focus issue is not present. however the room i have it in, i have to have it set to it's minimal picture size, so i don't have a choice, because I don't have a roof mount, i just have it sitting on a desk in the back of the room. so, if you do plan on purchasing this, buy a ceiling mount, or make sure and use it as a short throw project should be used, nice and close to the wall, and you won't have ANY focus issue, because you'll be able to set it to it's maximum screen size. i'm still giving 3 stars because the company shouldn't even allow the screen to get so small if it cannot remain in focus properly.

i also had the 1070 BENQ, which did not have any focus issue, hooked up to my same PC (macbook pro 1080p hookup, I even bought an extra adapter and HDMI cable to verify the issue's source).

overall: i still highly recommend this, but it's getting three stars from me because I"m 2/2 in bad focus on the small pic setting. due to outstanding overall quality and every other good outweighing the bad, i still recommend this projector.

UPDATE: i bought a roof mount and picture is perfect. i also moved some furniture and put it on the floor in the middle of the room to see how the picture would be and it was perfect. so, basically lesson learned is that this project doesn't like to be in the back of the room on the minimal screen size setting. my family came over and watched a couple movies with me, and they're already bought their own!

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away, I love this thing!, June 9, 2013
Amazon prime got this to me in 2 days, and I've been in love ever since. I didn't yet have a bluray player when I got it, so I tried out the 3D on my cable box's HBO 3D, which was only 1080i in side-by-side, and I was pretty impressed already. Of course I was going from my old Infocus X1 so it was a big jump (800x600 to 1080p)...
But once I got a bluray player and saw full HD 1080p through this thing I knew I had almost no reason to ever go to the movies anymore. I picked up a few 3D blurays like the IMAX Under the Sea, Hugo, and Life of Pi and I was amazed at how clear, bright, and vivid the 3D picture was, especially for an entry level projector.
I have an 8 foot wide screen, which I'd been using with the old X1 for the past 6 years or so, and now it's finally being treated to the beautiful images it was made for.
Also this thing is twice as bright as the X1, I used to have to wait until full nightfall to watch a movie or play games, now dusk is perfectly fine. I assume part of that is helped by the short throw - the light travels about half as much from projector to screen to eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect picture quality, November 23, 2013
I've owned several projectors and this my second short throw and hands down this is the best short throw projector you can buy. This is the main reason I bought this projector for the flexibility it gives you. The picture quality is perfect nice sharp and great blacks. For the money there is not a better projector in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars best investment ever, September 22, 2013
I would not know what to do without my ben q! when they say short throw they really mean it. I only need 8 feet for a good 125-150" screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect picture quality, March 1, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great experienace so far...just gave 4 Star but hoping I can bump it up to 5 soon :), March 10, 2014
My case :
I have been looking for a high qualiy projector for home theater use for couple of years. I did more detailed research for last 5-6 months and saw BENQ W1080ST with great reviews from users.

1. Why I selected this?
- Short throw - Quire frankly, not sure how much awareness is there amoung consumers on 'Short Throw' projectors.
- 1080P HD - Bigger screen means you Have to have Great quality HD display. So, 1080P is a huge thing and you wont be disappointed with this
- Price - I spent around 940$ (watch out, this projector's price is fluctuating across the week from 860-1100$. So, watch out for the best prices in Amason.com :). Getting a great ST, 1080P projector for this price is really a good deal in my mind.

2. My experience so far
- I got this on last THursday (03/06) and projected that on my light green wall on my dining room. I did not have Blu-Ray disc at that time, so, I tried few 1080P Youtube vids. I have to tell you, if you picked the right High Quality one, you will be amazed on how good this thing is. Sunda afternoon, I for a Blu-Ray and watch at my basement which is almost dark. GREAT Experience. I was able to project around 5 feet away from the white wall (which bad ramdom crayon drawings my kids did :) with around 8-9 fee diagonal screen size. That was quite big and all were happy with the quality.

3. Anything on negative side?
- I think the blacks are not that great (which I knew when I bought this awnay). But that black level does not bother me at all.
- Price - thought I said about it was a great price, I still wish it's bit less. Again, no big deal. I am happy....
- I hit the power cable accidently and the projector shutdown (expected LOL)....and a red light was blinking indicating 'lamp'. Not really sure what that is but it came back up in few mins. I think that is designed that way may be to save the lamp. But this just freaked me out...that is all...
- Saw a tiny bit of un-unifirmity acorss the screen interms of focus. Again no big deal...with that much of short throw power, I am quite happy about the focus quality and sharpness...

4. My two cents to who ever who is in research phase for a projector....
- I think this is the best deal in the market on 1080P Short Throw projecters. But just read some articles and figure it out...do not spend mre time on reading...this is a Pretty awesome deal. I wish I had the opportunity ot check the 720P version of the same (BENQ W720ST). But I at least know what I got is better :). But I do not know 'how much better' though...