5.0 out of 5 stars Benq 1080st review
Published 4 months ago by Sally Ortiz

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent focus and brightness
I got my w1080st last night and see serious issues with inconsistent focus and brightness across the screen.
Using the test pattern, you can get to a point where entire screen is some what in focus (not super crisp) and in that mode you wont notice any focus issue while watching movie - due to color and motion.
When I connected my HTPC and opened windows...
Published 8 months ago by NWGuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Benq 1080st review, November 26, 2013
This review is from: BenQ W1080ST 1080p 3D Short Throw DLP Home Theater Projector (White) (Electronics)
I have been searching for a projector since last black Friday. Over the past year I have had many models reach the top of my list. I did extensive research on all products, 3d glass, cables ect.... The end result was my purchase of the Benq 1080st. I can honestly say it was one of the best purchases of my life. It will truely change the way you watch TV or movies. I use it everyday for TV viewing and 3D movies. I have it about 7 feet from the wall and it displays about 140 inches. Think about that for a second....140 inches of 1080p glory.

Set up:
Very easy (took maybe 10min, most was moving calbe wires and stuff).
Anyone semi familar with an HD TV should have no problems navigating the menu on the Benq. Changing the colors, brightness and contrast will seem familar. Setting the lamp to the power setting is too easy (econo is still bright enough to use for everything). Setting the zoom and adjusting the focus is easy and fun to play around with. As with most other reviews I would highly recommend an additional sound system of some type.

Picture Quality:
The TV I replaced was a 46inch Samsung. I can honestly say this has a better picture. It is bright, crisp and clear. If you have some form of Comcast (Xfinity) most show are displayed in 720p. That is no fault of the benq but the original broadcast signal. Still looks really good. Any 3d movie rental on comcast is displayed in 1080i. That looks very close to movie theater 3D. Bluray and Bluray 3D display at 1080p. When I saw the picture for the first time in 1080p 3d, I laughed in hysteria because I could not believe my eyes! It was amazing! The nice thing about the benq is that every time you either change a channel or switch inputs, on the top left of the display it show the input source and image (720p, 1080i or 1080p). That is how I discovered Comcast was broadcasting in 720p and quick call in confrimed this. However you watch or whatever you watch the picture is going to be bright. Adjust the colors alittle and you have a great looking movie theater in your house.

The Benq 1080st projector itself:
Very good quality. The unit feels very well built. It looks nice and sleek. The fan noise to me is almost non-existant. It not nearly as loud as an Xbox 360. It does have a fan to keep everything cool and I would say it is not even as loud as a computer. Really it is a non issue. All the correct inputs are there. I even had a conversation with my friend on how the Benq must have been made so there would be no issues. The people at Benq must really looked at every customer complaint before making the 1080st. It is very impressive.

3D quality:
Very good. At first in to be very honest I was not too impressed. Then I adjusted the brightness down and contrast up, changed the gamma level and adjusted the CMYK color levels up by 12 on each.....my jaw dropped (changing these setting is very easy to do). It has good depth and is very clear. I bought the rechargable 3D glasses and would highly recommend them. The screen does have a red hue when your glasses are not on and 3D is playing, agian a non-issue. It is simply amazing lifting the glasses up on your face and then putting them back down and seeing how the 3D works. Regular boradcast 3D in 720p is not bad at all and if you do plan on gettig a 3D bluray play you will be amazed. No reason to ever to the movies again. I found myself constantly talking through the movie on how great it looked and how it doesnt seem fair to have this in my house.

Overall this is worth every penny. Every single person that has been lucky enough (lol) to see this in my house thinks I spent at least 5k on this projector. Thats what you get from Benq: big picture small price. I have read hundreds of reviews before my purchase of the 1080st. All I have to say is read this review and then buy it. You will be very happy you did. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My First, and I Love It, May 19, 2013
This is my first personal projector, otherwise I've only seen other people's and the ones I buy for work presentation setups. But I have to say, in my opinion it is absolutely fantastic, clear crisp picture that even manages to ignore nearly all the light pollution that comes from the door of my split level, the only exception is when the scene is super dark/black for obvious reason, if there is any real light to the scene, you really cant tell.

Like I said, the image is sharp a vivid, great brightness, everything just looks right, I pretty much feel like I have a 100in TV on my wall. Absolutely love the short throw, I have a moderately small man cave and on top of that I wanted to be able to do motion stuff with kinect, wii, etc. so I needed to be able to keep movements from getting in the way, mission accomplished, I can stand 4ft from my screen and not be in the way of the projection, giving me plenty of space to move around.

Other Notes:
+Runs very near silent, the only time I notice the fan is when there is nothing else to hear.
+Never used the built in speaker so can't comment but others make it sound like its decent, really though, if you're doing something like this, don't cheat yourself using built in speakers, get a real setup, even if its only like 2.1 or 3.1 or even just a sound bar(they make some pretty good ones these days).
+As others will tell you, adjustments are to account for angels etc are very limited so be careful and get it right.
+I don't feel I notice any of the classic projector visual oddities, I have a pretty nice fixed frame screen from Elite Screens. Check them out, good quality/price and they really aren't that hard to get put together. Manual isn't always 100% clear so be careful but its still pretty good.
+Haven't picked up glasses yet. Looking at some after I finish this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Contrast and Clarity Beats $5K LCoS, September 30, 2013
Benq is selling the W1080 with the essential 1.03 firmware, so my original review is being replaced.
This review only covers points which have not been emphasized or even discussed elsewhere.

I purchased the W1080 only after many positive reviews (the best being Projector Central) and Benq releasing firmware allowing for Blu-ray 3D discs projection.
The short throw lens is unique in it offers a 120" diagonal screen from only 6' back! If ceiling mounted the small, white projector is never in the way. Its like having a gigantic flat-panel for less than $900!
Compare this to expensive $5K projectors which typically spew exhaust heat and noise onto your head. Further you cannot sit close to the screen or your head will create an outline on the screen.

Lens Quality
The focus on the screen varies according to warm-up time. When cold the focus is worse at the top then corrects itself after 10 minutes. Focus uniformity is good only because the lens is so sharp. The lens in some $4K name brand LCoS projectors will not even resolve the panel's grid lines.
Espon, after many years was finally forced to upgrade their lens in the $3X 5030 projector.

Setting Focus
I use Windows File Explorer and List the contents of a large directory with Clear Type turned Off. It's easy to adjust the lens ring for the best overall focus. Once set it stays set. The focus is clearer with no mis-convergence or color fringing, unlike $4X-$10X three chip LCD or LCoS. The higher DLP fill-factor surpasses flat panels which look coarse in comparison.

Contrast Test
The killer contrast test is to set the Windows Desktop Background color to Black (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Desktop Background>Solid Colors>Black) then open up a White box (Windows File Explorer) and make it small so it only takes up about 1/8 of the screen. Then grab it and move it around the corners of the screen. Do you see a faint white image in the opposite corners?
The optimized W1070/1080 optical path clearly passes this test with flying colors as all the other corners remain black. The cheap lens in my very expensive $5K LCoS projector fails miserably with considerable reflections. The bottom line is the simplified lens in the W1080 is sharper and the picture has better contrast under real-world viewing. While every novice can see the blacks turn milky grey, the experts (really those in charge) at the forums are either blind or choose, as a dealer to remain silent.

3D
First do not pay any attention to the Sound & Vision reviewer's W1070 3D settings as the contrast should be left centered at 50. Otherwise you blow the highlights, for which the reviewer then proceeded to down-rated the projector!
The shorter distance from the projector to the screen pays dividends with a brighter image.
I sit closer with 3D than for 2D (with my directional high-gain screen) and also up higher (maximum office or bar stool height) for a brighter image. This also allows to reach-out-and-touch-someone!
3D is nosier with the fan on high. 144Hz triple flash glasses create a rock stable image with no flicker. I use the 1/2 price DLP® Link 3ACTIVE® 3D Glasses for 144 Hz DLP 3D Projectors. Rechargeable.
The menu has a "Benq" gamma setting which I found best. I turn sharpness to maximum on the 1080 and the 3D player. Brightness can be increased a notch but the jumps are quit coarse.

Placement
The small physical size and white color make it blend into the room. I used this white ceiling mount Universal Projector Ceiling Mount for DLP / LCD video projectors (Heavy Duty Steel, White, adjustable height 16.9-Inch - 25.6-Inch, built-in cable management, easy installation) .

On the projector put the lens in the center of the zoom range when selecting ceiling holes as, any small distance errors can then be corrected. For the W1080 the bottom (or top if ceiling mounted) edge of the image is level with the center-line of the lens. It's important to take into account the two offset of the lens when drilling the ceiling mounting holes.

Reliability
My sample has zero reliability issues with over 250 hours. DLP is a stable technology and TI really came through with all its DSP/image processing experience. Combine this with Chinese products known for value. Thank you.

Black Level
Excellent in real life IF your system is correctly set-up and working optimally. I use Eco Lamp mode for all 2D. I use Person of Interest and BlackList TV series or opening scene of Hansel and Gretel. If your black level is washed out with a HTPC then try to confirm with a dedicated Blu-ray player. My Nvidia 600 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport SLI Ready Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD has superior blacks while my AMD 7750 ASUS HD7750-1GD5-V2 AMD Radeon HD 7750 VGA 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Cardis a bit washed out. I will probably try the new AMD R7 260!

Benq W1070 is deservedly a runaway best seller. I think the W1080 has even more benefits but the momentum is with the W1070 as it came out first. Someone i know lit that spark!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring movie theater at your home.., February 6, 2014
This is my first review on Amazon. Although, I keep buying many items from Amazon and I really liked few of them and were worth giving 5 star rating, none of the item impressed me so much to write a review. But I am so much impressed with this buy that I decided to write my 1st review.

I have already used Vivitek Qumi Q2 and IncrediSonic LED projectors. These are very small size portable projectors with long lasting LED lamp. Although these projectors project good quality image, they can not produce vivid colors. I use to feel like I am watching old days Eastman color movie.
LED technology in projector has still long way to get mature. For this reason, I decided to buy normal lamp projector even though such projectors are not very portable and requires costlier lamp replacements.

After about 2 months research I finalized buying either BENQ W1070 or W1080ST. Both projectors are same except throw distance. Finally I ordered W1080ST.
I got this projector on 23-Jan. It is manufactured in Nov-13 and has FirmWare ver. 1.04. It has backlit(red color) remote.

Here is my observation

1) Image quality is EXCELLENT with vivid colors and as good as what you see in movie theater. I am not using any screen and projecting image on bare wall.

2) Brightness is very good and I can watch movie with few lights on. But with all lights switched off, I feel like I am watching 120 inch LED TV.
Even in movie theater all lights are switched off for better viewing experience. So, do not set your expectations to unrealistic levels. LCD/LED TVs will always have better brightness than projector image.

I always use Smart Eco mode with brightness level 55 and than is more than enough.

3) Projector speaker produce loud enough sound and I am still using it while watching movies. But watching a 120 inch screen with inbuilt speaker is not a good idea and I plan to buy sound system to get a real movie theater feeling. If I connect projector to laptop using VGA cable then sound do not come from projector speaker(it will be from laptop speakers). If I use my chromecast then sound comes from projector speakers.

4) Projector keeps track of lamp hours used and you acn see it in menu.

Do not listen to professional reviewers who criticize this projector for light leakage, fan noise, rainbow effect. Earning bread and butter by criticizing every good product is their job.

5) My observation is that there is minute amount of light leakage but this projector produces image which is 1000 times brighter than leaked light and I won't notice leaked light even in dark scene.

6) Fan noise is very minimum. My laptop fan produces more fan noise than projector. Maybe projectors which are manufactured in Nov-13 might have lesser fan noise.

7) After watching 100 hrs of movies, I have not yet seen rainbow effect.

8) Remote works fine and it is not necessary to point remote at projector to operate it. Remote has "Light" button on right side and when I press this button entire remote gets illuminated with backlit red color light. Then I can see and press whatever button I want to use. This is nice feature till the time I get familiar with button locations.

I wish BENQ had provided USB port on this projector. They provided all kinds of input/slots but forget to provide a USB port. My Chromecast needs USB power and I have to keep laptop nearby to provide power to it. Projector has Mini USB B port and I need to check if I can power up Chromecast using mini USB B to USB female connector.

Finally, I am Very Happy with this purchase. The last time I was so happy when I was teenager and my father gifted me motor bike.
I already have recommended this projector to many of my colleagues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect picture quality, November 23, 2013
I've owned several projectors and this my second short throw and hands down this is the best short throw projector you can buy. This is the main reason I bought this projector for the flexibility it gives you. The picture quality is perfect nice sharp and great blacks. For the money there is not a better projector in this price range.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent focus and brightness, August 8, 2013
When I connected my HTPC and opened windows explorer (or browser) with screen full of text on it, I could see all the text blurry. When I tried to focus, I could get either center of the screen OR top left of the screen super crisp - but not both/entire screen. If the top left is crisp then center of the screen is extremely blurry and vice versa.
This was also reported by another person in AVSForum (just do a search onw1080st focus issue).

I am wondering if I got a lemon projector or other ppl are not noticing this focus and brightness issue.
I WILL return this and possibly try w1070 hoping that the focus/brightness issue is due to short throw otherwise will end up buying Epson 8350.

5.0 out of 5 stars blown away, I love this thing!, June 9, 2013
Amazon prime got this to me in 2 days, and I've been in love ever since. I didn't yet have a bluray player when I got it, so I tried out the 3D on my cable box's HBO 3D, which was only 1080i in side-by-side, and I was pretty impressed already. Of course I was going from my old Infocus X1 so it was a big jump (800x600 to 1080p)...
But once I got a bluray player and saw full HD 1080p through this thing I knew I had almost no reason to ever go to the movies anymore. I picked up a few 3D blurays like the IMAX Under the Sea, Hugo, and Life of Pi and I was amazed at how clear, bright, and vivid the 3D picture was, especially for an entry level projector.
I have an 8 foot wide screen, which I'd been using with the old X1 for the past 6 years or so, and now it's finally being treated to the beautiful images it was made for.
Also this thing is twice as bright as the X1, I used to have to wait until full nightfall to watch a movie or play games, now dusk is perfectly fine. I assume part of that is helped by the short throw - the light travels about half as much from projector to screen to eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great projector I just couldn't keep!, May 29, 2013
The picture was awesome! The short throw made setup easy. The projector was great and had no lag for gaming! I never tried the 3d. My problem was the rainbow effect. I must be really sensitive to it because I couldn't hack watching anything with dark scenes. Don't let that deter you because my parents and my brother both watched it and didn't even notice it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfect picture quality, March 1, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector for the money, August 19, 2013
It is amazing that you can get a 1080p 3d projector with a rated bulb life of 5000 hours for 1 grand. The projector is bright and has great color, focus and screen uniformity. I've owned the infocus 4805, samsung sp710, and the panasonic ae900. I also currently have the panasonic ae2000, ae4000, and ax200 projectors and the optoma gt700. The 1080st beats them all except for the ae2000 and ae4000 which have better black levels. Highly recommended!!

ARRAY(0x994d73fc)