5.0 out of 5 stars The BenQ W710ST projector: First Impressions...
Published 19 months ago by W710ST

3.0 out of 5 stars nice project but no bluray 3D
the projector works great, and for the price you cant ask for much more. however, the description states that it plays 3D movies. that may be true, but it does NOT play bluray 3D movies. other than this it is a nice projector for small rooms.
Published 12 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars The BenQ W710ST projector: First Impressions..., January 15, 2013
This review is from: BenQ W710ST Short Throw HD DLP Home Theater Projector (White/black) (Electronics)
Update 5/4/13: With about 70 hours on the clock, still very satisfied. Added Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray player with wifi. Works like a charm. And it takes full advantage of the 710's HD capabilities. Also constructed a 4 by 8 frame with a white sheet stretched and stapled at the sides of the frame (no longer projecting on a wall). On the back side of the screen is black landscape fabric stretched and stapled at the sides to keep light from reflecting back from the wall. This also works well. But the sheet I'm using is a cheap, low thread count so I can see the weave if looking closely. A good quality white bed sheet (with a high thread count) should work much better, providing a sharper image. The benefit of the "sheet method" is a very light-weight screen with a straight and flat face. Just don't let your cat (and his claws) anywhere near it.

Here's the bad: I have a few persistent dust blobs. They are very noticeable when scenes go to black. I don't know if my 710 was delivered "contaminated" or if the dust infiltrated while in my possession. In either case, here's what I would recommend for every new projector user, no matter the type or brand you purchase: after setting up your projector, play a movie and freeze on a black scene (Make sure the viewing room is dark). Then operate the focus through its full range. If the frozen black image turns into a star-lit night sky your projector's optics are internally contaminated. If you see just a few and the fuzzy spots only come into view when the image is out of focus, it's not an issue. Otherwise, you may want to seriously consider if its something you can live with. The manufacturer should allow repair or replacement. (Personally, I haven't made that decision, yet.) If your new projector is "clean", do whatever you can to keep it that way. Remember, a projector like the 710 is short-throw, so it is likely to be low, near the floor when in use. The viewing room must be clean. Use a good, clean vacuum to suck up as much dust as possible. And while doing any activity in the viewing room other than using your projector, make sure the projector is covered.

Update 2/17/13: I've changed my rating from 4 stars to 5. I received a replacement W710ST from Amazon and, with a total of 17 hours on the clock, it is performing perfectly, minus the speaker buzzing problem (see original review below). Getting the replacement projector from Amazon was as painless as could be. I'm very satisfied with Amazon and my new BenQ W710ST (so far). One quick comment before you move on to the review: This projector is currently $550. As I'm sure you already know projectors can be mighty expensive. Based on the performance of the 710 (at $550) I can only imagine, since I'm a beginner, how well a 5, 4 or even a $2000 projector might perform. Unfortunately, I'll probably never know. Can't really justify the expense and not able to afford it, anyway. All I can say is, based on my limited experience, the 710, in spite of a few minor quirks and/or design errors, provides exciting home theater at an affordable price. Considering a giant screen TV? Fuhget-about-it. In fact, I'll save you the time needed to read my long-winded review by offering the only best advice I can give: disregard everything and go straight to Short Throw(ST) High Definition(HD) projection. The ST technology makes a LOT of sense. And it works, very well. As for HD projection? In a word, WOW!

Review 1/15/13: The BenQ W710ST does the job, but...

there were a few issues. The BenQ box (inside a larger delivery box) arrived a few days ago and it looked like it had been "through the mill" (scratches, scuffs and dings). It caused me to be suspect right away. Inside the BenQ box, however, everything appeared new. The unit came carefully packed inside a black, well made and fully padded nylon carry case along with the usual extras (except component and/or HDMI cables). The "feel" of this projector is solid and precise but it's a bit chunky and odd shaped. It's not compact. Short throw is the 710's primary selling point and the main reason why I decided to try it. The BenQ is designed to be set up low and up front, not in the back over your shoulder like most projectors. It does work well and I like it. The remote is also substantial with full control and an easy-reach backlight button. A lense cap is also provided. An important extra.

Upon firing up the W710ST, The fan was exquisitely quiet. Nearly silent in eco-mode...but (and here's the "but") the internal speaker was annoyingly buzzy. Starting at about 1/3 volume the plastic projector body began buzzing. Turning up the volume caused the projector to vibrate to a point where talking or music could not be understood. However, I dont intend to use the projector for presentations, only home theater, so one would not tend to use the internal speaker anyway... but (the last "but") it's still a defect (or damage) and I MAY decide to return it for that reason.

Now what about the picture: it's big and bright with excellent color and good blacks. The 710 can easily be run in eco while ambient light exists. For example, you could have a 60 watt incandescent on in the back of the room (as long as it's filtered and not throwing shadows). I havn't seen the wonderful detail others have mentioned. Although I have not acheived the highest resolution yet either. I'm presently sourcing from an older standard def DVD player with component out (720 by 480), not to mention projecting on a painted wall. Planning to go to HDMI out (1280 by 720) on a new DVD player this week. I'm assuming the picture will have significantly more detail then. A problem I've found, although minor, is the lack of control built into the unit. There's no vertical keystoning and source signals are managed automatically (no manual control.). Also, a bothersome thing about the menu is it pushes you too far back when hitting return. You'll find that you're always going back then forward again, a recurring but temporary nuisance. On the up side, there is a very usefull feature that allows you to set up fast and almost anywhere without much fuss. There are auto presets built in which adjust color output for different colored walls. I'm projecting on a smooth, flat painted wall tinted a slight yellow. The projector corrected for this perfectly. Warm up time is about 30 seconds. Shutdown is quick.

About 3D: The 710 has the capability but 3D doesn't interest me very much.

Overall, this is what the W710ST does well: short throw, easy/quick set-up, good video under various conditions. All the extras and, especially, the very quiet fan is a bonus. On the downside, the BenQ lacks some control which, I believe, is standard on similarly priced units. It's heft, odd shape and quirky menu/remote take a little getting used to. Still, the W710ST is a fine example of quality in design and function. If not for the speaker problem, I would have gone to 5 stars for initial use and quality.

Hate to say it Amazon, I'd give you 5 stars as well but the delivery took longer than originally suggested (11 days instead of 5 - 8 days). And it was obvious the package was kicked around prior to leaving the shipper (whomever that was). You were the best price, though. And the transaction was no hassle.

Update 1/16/13: I incorrectly noted above the 710 does not offer vertical keystoning. It does. But not horizontal keystoning. Keystoning can be confusing and here's why: Vertical keystoning will allow angle adjustment of the displayed image on a HORIZONTAL axis; meaning the displayed image can be tilted backward and forward as if on an invisible rod laying accross the middle of the screen. Horizontal keystoning, which the 710 does not allow, pivots the image on a vertical axis. So, in essence, it's a conflict in terms.

I would also like to note other pluses and minuses: 1. The 710 doesn't get hot. Compared to an Epson I tried out previously, it's like night and day. The Epson ran hot, even in eco mode. 2. The 710 user manual (downloadable and on a supplied dvd) is pretty good. What I like most is the manual provides a clear and concise explanation of each menu item. 3. The remote is very responsive from virtually any angle. 4. I haven't seen any "rainbow effect" that others have mentioned can be a problem with DLP projectors. I was very concerned about this. Fortunately, there's been no evidence of that whatsoever with the 710. 5. The 710 is a power hog (300 watts), mostly due to the lamp (220 watts). 6. The 710 audio (mono into a buzzy speaker) is extremely lacking. For my purposes (home theater) it's utterly useless. The problem here is I may, at some point, like to use the 710 as a stand-alone unit. But that is not possible because of the speaker problem. Even if there were no vibrations, I can't believe a small, mono speaker would be effective under any circumstances. Also, the audio connections in the back of the unit are not clearly marked and confusing. Why isn't the audio 2 channel pass-through and contollable from the remote (versus mono sound terminating at the projector)? Doesn't make sense. And there's no understanding why you don't get either a component cable and/or an HDMI cable with the projector. Not good marketing of the product in my opinion. Wouldn't it make sense to provide the means to demonstrate your product in the best possible way? I would suggest to BenQ that they sort these issues out (should be easy fixes) if they really want to sell a first rate projector to the masses.

Final notes and buying tip: Know what you intend to use your projector for and under what conditions (what's MOST important). I don't believe there's a projector made that will do it all. For me it's home theater in a not-so-big room, so I wanted short-throw; a big, bright image with decent clarity and contrast (I'm looking forward to a new DVD player and a real screen for an even better theater experience). Plus, NOOOO distractions, meaning a QUIET fan. The 710 does these jobs admirably. But if it's complete portability with great audio capabilities you're after, look elsewhere. And a word about LED (which the 710 is not): I was hoping that might be an option for me. I liked the idea of a long life, eco-friendly (no mercury and low power consumption) lamp. Those are the primary LED benefits. It can be "always on" like a TV. But, as far as I know, it really cannot be used as such. The brightness levels just aren't there, yet. Besides, other than the benefits mentioned, what good is it to have a projector with a lamp lasting 25 years when, in all likelyhood, the projector itself with either be trashed or outdated within 5 years?

Update 1/17/13: Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with this review but I think I can offer an extra bit of info that may be helpful: a comment to my review noted I cannot watch high definition video on the 710 without bluray. It turns out he was very right. But being a person who has to learn for himself I decided to conduct a little (unscientific) study. I went to my local library and fortunately they had multiple copies of the same move, including one in bluray. Then I went to my local Walmart and purchased 2 dvd players (1 upscaling and 1 bluray) giving me three dvd players (as noted above I have an older non-upscaling player with component out). I hooked all three players up to the 710 at the same time, all with the same movie (Note that an additional benefit provided by the 710 is 2 - not just 1 - HDMI inputs, along with component in, allowed me to test all three at the same time.) I synced up the players as best I could and using the remote control I was able to switch from one player to the other. Bluray is DEFINATELY better; a stunning improvement over my old standard definition player, not to mention the upscaling player. The image was significantly more vibrant and clear. The upscaling player was only marginally better than my old player. But an improvement nonetheless. It was akin to making a sharpness adjustment from less sharp to more sharp. Other than that I couldn't see any real differences which, I suppose, makes my old dvd player an acceptable performer. There was no significant difference that I could see in terms of brightness, color and black levels between all three players. In fact, the "softness" of my old player had it's benefits. The additional clarity displayed potential shortcomings of either the bluray player and/or the projector. I noticed especially when using the bluray player, "noise" in the blues and grays in some scenes. This was not evident at all on the old player. I'm not knowledgable enough to know what and why the noise was there. Perhaps it's simply a matter of making an adjustment, somewhere. I dont yet know.

So this wraps up my overblown review of the BenQ W710ST. I hope it was in some way helpful to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars BenQ W710ST Short Throw HD DLP Home Theater Projector, July 15, 2012
Purchased this projector to watch movies and sports in a small living room and bedroom setting. My first choice was a Viewsonic 8200 1080p, however I just didn't have the living space to fit the the long throw distance. So I settled for the BenQ w710, even though the projector is 720p the image is vibrant and sharp using the preset theater, living room, or bright settings. I haven't had the need to use any of the 3 user setting because the image is just perfect out of the box. The colors being projected are very much like my lg300 led projector except much brighter and sharper. I have tried the projector using a portable 100" screen and my bedroom wall and I really can't tell the difference, both images are excellent.
This projector is much sharper then expected and has a lot better image then the projector I bought it to replace, which is an Optoma gt720 which I puurchaed almost 2 years ago. I originally thought the Optoma image was great, this one however blows it out of the water, its not even close. Oh yeah it is also 3d ready.
UPDATE: Just installed a new framed 106 inch screen and the picture looks fabulous. Was toying with the idea of purchasing a new benq 1080st projector but I can't imagined the picture looking much better than what it does now. 3d using a viewsonic converter and sainsoinic dlp glasses looks amazing.
Pros: Short throw lens, great led like colors, user friendly menus, zoom lens, backlit remote, plenty of connections including an audio out.

Cons: Wish it had two internal speakers instead of just one.

Yes I would highly recommend the purchase of this productBenQ W710ST Short Throw HD DLP Home Theater Projector (White/black)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have A Movie Theater In My Bedroom,..........Neat!!!, January 10, 2013
Cass G (South Lake Tahoe, Ca) - See all my reviews
I have only owned this projector about about a week now, but have been using it everyday for many hours from various sources ie different dvd players, cable boxes, blu ray, roku, computers ect. and projected in different rooms on various types of walls and materials at different times of day. This is my first home projector, so I cannot directly compare it to it's competitors, but I did read all the reviews I could find before purchasing this one and became versed on the good and the bad of home projectors. The first thing I discovered when shopping for a projector is there are a lot of them out there and one must decide exactly what they need or want of their projector, what they will most be using it for and what they're willing to spend. In my case it boiled down to wanting a solidly built reliable projector to primarily play my huge dvd collection through my high end 720p upscaling players, that I could also easily move from room to room, ( I only have a handful of blu rays, and I find 3D just annoying most of the time), so it wasn't worth twice the price or even several hundred more to get 1080p 3D, all the bells and whistles. So far this projector has really fit the bill and has been exceptional.
The intuitiveness of this projector is remarkable, immediately recognizing the aspect ratio and frame rate of any source and adjusting to best suit it. The picture is stunning, and the presets are well calibrated, this was kind of a bummer to me because I'm a tweeker, I love to play with lots of settings and get the best picture I can, but this thing is on auto pilot for the most part and there's not a lot you can do, it's super user friendly and all set up with a beautiful picture right out of the box. It has the DLP Brilliantcolor Technology and a 10,000 :1 contrast ratio, a big part of why the picture is so good. This projector is also rated to work up to 10,000ft without needing to be on high altitude mode, many other projectors I looked at were warranty void at 3,000 or 4,000 ft above sea level, this was a big deal to me because I live at 6,000 ft above sea level, it also shows me this company probably has a better built machine they stand behind, that doesn't have to run the fan full blast nonstop if you live on a hill. The projector runs remarkably quiet and unexpectedly cool even after using it all day.
It is a great projector, easy to use, easy to move around and set up, great picture, lots of inputs, seems very thought out and well built , great projector for me.
Here are the cons,:Its bigger then I thought it would be, about the size of 2 shoe boxes side by side, and feels like it weighs 10-12 lbs.
It's not great in daylight, it is watchable, but if you are looking for a tv replacement daytime projector this probably isn't it.
The blacks on this projector are fantastic, but it does sometime struggle with deep or complex big varying blues,(only occasionally, and never with HD sources) like deep blue skies or nighttime skies with full moon, most people probably wouldn't notice, but if I'm being nit picky.
I have seen the dreaded rainbow effect here and there, but not often enough to dislike this projector, especially for what I paid for it, I knew this might happen occasionally, it doesn't have the most bleeding edge advanced and expensive color wheel or wheels you might get in more expensive models, but it does have a 3X Speed/Six Segment Color Wheel, which is very good in this price range,(if you are sensitive to the rainbow effect using the cinema mode with brilliant color off makes rainbows virtually nonexistent,(if you're looking to pair this projector with a screen, because of it's brightness and close proximity I would pair it with a non reflective or low gain screen), I've also seen the "screen door effect" the picture is made up of pixels after all, and it's a big screen, so if you're close enough you will see them, at a comfortable distance you won't, just like a TV.
The speaker is not great, it claims to be 10 watts, but sounds very tinny with all but the best sources, if your watching something alone it will do in a pinch, but with the inclusion of a 10 watt speaker they definitely could've had a better quality one.( I have it paired with a Vizio sound bar in my bedroom, great inexpensive stereo solution.)
My last con is,: Projection is addicting, I bought this planning to use it for special occasions, movie nights, big games ect, but my bedroom has become a nonstop movie marathon, (totally not Benq's fault, well maybe a little.)
All in all this seems to be an excellent movie projector, the depth and detail of the picture really do give you the theater experience, zero ghosting or noise with hdmi connections, the short throw is awesome to have a huge screen with the projector just being a few feet from the wall, dvd's look great, blu rays look amazing, netflix awesome as well. It is 3D ready, superb blacks whites and grey's, all the colors are fantastic really,( the list spec is 1.07 Billion colors)flesh and skin tones are also exceptional, recognizes and adjusts for 24p, which I love, refresh rate up to 120htz, this projector has Variable Iris A.I. technology that adjusts all the contrast and color on a frame by frame basis, something you just don't see in this price range or even in many more expensive models, can project on almost any surface well,(even has "what color is your wall" settings, longer lamp life than most projectors and you never need take it off ecco mode, this thing is bright, brighter than most projectors in this price range at 2500 ANSI lumens, better contrast, longer warranty, more inputs, and to my mind most likely a better build than the competitors in this price range, and will run longer and cooler and with out issues, fingers crossed. )))
Update: So I've put about 500 hours on the projector now, I use it every day, it has basically become my tv replacement. It's running strong, beautiful picture, still just as cool and quiet. I paired it with an awesome 110 inch Vutec tripod screen. I leave it on ecco mode most of the time to save the bulb, but I have been using normal mode once a day for my "main event" movie of the night, the picture is brighter and a bit more engrossing with normal mode on. The lens attracts dust and you will see the particles on your screen, so you will need a lens dust solution like compressed air or a very high quality microfiber. You will also likely want a very long hdmi cord to connect to your sources. I also recommend getting a good power strip to plug the projector into in case of power failures as some added protection. I have not had a chance to try the modern 3D yet, but this projector has 2 3D settings DLP Link 3D and Nvidia 3D vision. I have a whole channel of the old school 3D movies on my Roku and have watched some of those with reasonably good results. One last tip, if you really want to dial in the focus, put the zoom or magnifier on max, focus it, then take the zoom back down to normal.
Update: Projector still running strong at 1200 lamp hours and I have 3D now) I couldn't believe how easy and inexpensive it was to do, but apparently the newer active shutter glasses don't require converters, transmitters or whatever extra equipment 3D ready projectors required in the past, so I just got these glasses 3DTV Corp DLP-LINK 3D Glasses 2 Pairs for ALL 3D Ready DLP Projectors and ALL Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP TV's and this 3D Blu ray player that also does 2D-3D conversion Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi and wallah I have a 3D movie theater on the cheap, I suspect the effect is not as dramatic as using the Nvidia 3D, but it works, I'm a happy camper ))

5.0 out of 5 stars BenQ W710ST 720p Short Throw Projector, August 8, 2012
Don (Illinois) - See all my reviews
If you have a small room and want to watch movies or play games on a 10 foot screen, you only have two choices. The BenQ W710ST or the Optoma GT750e. 1080p would be nice, but not in this price range. However 720p looks pretty darn good on a 10 foot screen. I am projecting on a flat white living room wall. I watch Netflix[they stream in 720p I think] and regular DVDs[Some upscale better than others]using my computer and a Nvidia GTS450 video card with an hdmi cable. I haven't tried Blue ray, but it would look even better.
I tried the optoma but returned it because of a scratched lens.The BenQ appears to have better build quality and a better lamp warranty than the Optoma. But the optoma has native 3D. It supports hdmi 1.4a, and has extra computer resolutions because of it's 1280x800 native resolution. It's also a tad brighter, but that only matters if you use it with a lot of light in the room.
Bottom line. If you want a good projector for mainly watching movies and 2D games, get the BenQ.
If you must have 3D for games and movies or use it a lot for presentations, get the Optoma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector for small apartments, October 31, 2012
PRO

Beautiful 16:9 image in vibrant colors and pretty good blacks - if the image is smaller than the projector you can still see a little bit of light unless you're in Econ Mode. Low noise (Econ Mode is noiseless) and moderate heat. Great inputs/output options.

CON

Wish there was more range in sizing the image ie. making it much smaller. It's almost too big (>100") with as little as 5' throw distance, but this is really the scenario for which the projector was designed.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice project but no bluray 3D, August 12, 2013
Dan (Marietta, GA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture; short throw is the way to go, July 2, 2012
Purchased this projector as a first time home theater projector, and was amazed with the image quality out of the box. GREAT colors, compared to optoma brand projectors. This projector has one of the shortest throw ranges for projectors under $1,000.00 and one of the best pictures. When connected to an LG blu-ray player via hdmi cable, this projector has and amazing picture, that can be compared to modern day hdtv's, the only difference is that the image is 2-3 times the size! For a first time home theater projector, this is one of the best on the market for the price. There is NO difference between 720p and 1080p with this projector, no need to spend the additional money for 1080. This projector can be used in ambient lighting conditions with light shining directly on the screen and there is minimal difference in picture quality/ visibility, in fact we had to turn down the brightness to less than half so it was not so intense at night.

I would highly recomend this projector. Stop searching and buy now.

Update: 3/21/13
After having this projector for a while, the equivalent lamp hours indicator is just under 500 hours and it is still going strong. Image looks great and the colors are still bright and vivid, unlike some projectors that seem to lose the color vividness. We have found all sorts of fun stuff to use this projector for, such as TV, movies, games, computer use, and photo viewing when friends are over. When friends come over they are amazed at the picture quality and the size of the picture. I have also now seen the image quality of an optoma short throw projector, and the blacks and richness of the picture does not even come close to the BenQ. In addition, the picture seems fuzzy on the Optoma.

4.0 out of 5 stars Video strong audio weak., May 2, 2013
I just got the projector 2 days ago along with a Da-Lite 203 projector stand and a Roku 3. I intend to use it to stream movies out on my backyard deck on those nice evenings. With spring here hopefully I'll find some nice evenings soon. So far Ive just hooked it up inside to try it out. First impression is a nice picture when streaming HD movies. If you're streaming standard def movies you may be a little disappointed in the clarity. Also I'm sensitive to "the rainbow effect" and I do notice it from time to time. As long as its HD you should be satisfied. My first projector was an Epson Moviemate 25. It came with its own internal speakers, an outboard subwoofer and an 80 inch screen in a package deal. The projector still works after 8 years of use. There is one thing the Epson clearly trounces the BenQ on and its the sound. The BenQ has one 10 watt speaker where the Epson has two 10 watt speakers and a subwoofer which is more than adaquate. The BenQ turned all the way up is weak and lacking. The BenQ although is easy to set-up and I use my old 80 inch screen from the Epson package on it. It fills the screen up from just four feet back and 31 inches off the ground with a sharp crisp picture. I'll update this review after I've tried it outside.

6/17/13 Update. Well after using the projector for over two months, I am very pleased with its performance. I originally bought this projector to move to the next level of watching movies, streaming. I pretty much got tired of getting in my car going to kiosks to pick up DVD's watching the movie, getting back in my car the next day to return it. I've streamed movies like Snitch, The Last Stand and Jack Reacher. Pretty much anything that comes out fresh on the DVD release charts. What I like about the projector is that out on my deck I can start watching movie while the sun is up but setting. The picture is bright and clear then. The projector also stays suprisingly cool the whole time using it. I ended up buying an upcomvert DVD player for the existing movies I own and aren't available for streaming yet, also hooking my Xfinity cablebox to it for live sports watching as well. As I said the sound is weak on the BenQ single internal speaker but I solved that problem by using a portable digital boom box. I purchased an Altec Lansing inMotion MIX iMT800 a couple of years ago from Amazon for my basement gameroom to have music while playing pool or darts. Well this thing works great for the BenQ. It actually has a better sound than the original projector I owned. I can't turn it up all the way, its just pounds too loud. So if you want to enhance you sound incredibly, buy a good quality portable digital boom box with a mini jack (mp3) input and you should get more than adaquate sound. Great projector for the price, clear and very bright picture. Runs very cool. Very easy to set up. Happy outdoor movie viewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first projector, December 13, 2012
I finally saved up some money for a nice, big television for gaming. But, then I found this projector. The rest is history.

This is easily the best projector in this price range.

PROS:
- Super-bright, actually viewable in the day, but a dark room is highly recommended

- Very good contrast ratio, vivid colors

- Absolutely NO lag (for gaming, very important to me), unlike most big-screen HDTVs

- Screen real estate as big as you want it to be, specs say up to 300" but mine is probably about "100 and it's more than adequate. I use my whole living room wall as a screen (It is white)

- It's HD! Only 720p, but for this price, who's whining? It certainly doesn't bother me, and no one else notices. All the detail I need is there.

- It's short-throw, which means it doesn't have to be very far away from the wall to get a good screen size. Mine is probably about 7-8 feet away from the wall or so. Works in smaller rooms!

Okay, now the not-so-good. These are problems that very few projectors can avoid, though:

- The lamp has a 4,000 hour life, so if you use it heavily, you will have to replace it within a few years. Good news though, there is an 'economy' mode that can squeeze as much as 6,000 hours out of it. That is what my projector is on, and it's bright enough for me. You can get a replacement, but the official BenQ replacement is over $200.

- Although I mentioned it can work in the day, if your room is very bright, or lets in a lot of sunlight, it will not be very visible, despite its brightness. The blacks will be completely washed out, because the image can only be as dark as the surface it's projecting on. You will need some dark curtains. If you just wanted to show some quick photos or something, it would probably be okay.

- If you don't have a white wall, you will need to put something up; not quite as straightforward as a television in terms of setup. A white bedsheet or something should suffice, otherwise you will need a projector screen.

- Built-in 10W speaker is...meh. Get a sound system. I have projector audio output routed through my home stereo. There is a 1/8th headphone out port on the back, which goes to RCA audio connections going into my stereo.

Overall, I made a very good decision getting this particular projector. It is a great entryway into home-theater projection. My friends and family are totally floored by it's awesomeness. One of my best purchases this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super happy that I bought this model, November 3, 2012
Kevin Stokes (Fairport, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my Acer projector which died.

This projector is so much better there is no comparison. Because it is a short throw, I have it only about 5 feet from my wall, and yet the image is six feet wide. It is brighter, higher resolution, and has lots more options than my old one. The short throw means I can move it much closer to the wall. This was great for me because now we can sit directly behind the projector whereas before we were on either side. Also, it is much easier to walk around the room without blocking the picture.

Setup was a breeze. The included remote works great. The test pattern was really useful to get the positioning correct. By using the keystone correction I could point it down a little to keep it from clipping the top of the picture off because of a high shelf on that wall. Without that option, I would have had to move the projector closer to reduce the image size.

There are also little nitpicky things that are better than my old one. On my Acer, everytime I put the lens cap on it would move the focus, so it had to be readjusted with every use. The BenQ has a much better design where the lens cap only makes contact with the case of the projector, not the lens. Not a big deal, but it something that makes me happy every time I put the lens cap on.

This unit is quiet (I.E. it doesn't have a noisy fan), has a great user interface, a good picture and tons of features I haven't even tried yet.

I have yet to find anything I dislike about this product. I highly recommend it.

Rate and Discover Movies