on November 27, 2012
I am coming from a 60Hz 1080p LCD ASUS monitor that I have had for going on 5 years. This monitor set up quick and after a bit of calibration, is fantastic; a very good investment. There was in instant difference even in just moving the mouse across the screen at 120Hz. Also, the default refresh rate on this monitor is 60Hz, so you must go through and change this manually. Win7:[screen resolution --> advanced settings --> monitor, and select 120Hz on the drop down]

A big reason why I got this monitor is because I would get some motion sickness after about 30 minutes of gaming on my previous 60Hz monitor. I've read that 120Hz monitors can help with this effect. With this 120Hz monitor, I am now able to game without taking any Ginger Pills!

Colors out of the box are admittedly not the best, I'd recommend:
Picture Preset: Standard
Brightness: 36
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 6
Gamma: 4
Color Temp: User (R-97, G-94, B-98)

____________________________________________________________________
14-month Update: I still love this monitor like the day I got it, I've had no issues whatsoever either in use or with the actual monitor itself. The "dust cover" that comes with it actually gets more use that I ever thought! Many, many hours of gaming have been enjoyed with this monitor and it is true what they say, once you go 120Hz, you can't go back. I have no regrets with in buying this monitor! Great investment.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2013
Pretty nice monitor with awesome 120hz capability. Has a really nice stand that can position the monitor in a variety of ways. Colors are lacking a bit but you can adjust them to your preference. Can also switch inputs from my PC to my Xbox with out resetting my xbox. Nice packaging too.
on February 14, 2013
Alright, after much research and arduous mental decisions, I finally decided on this monitor to upgrade my overall experience on the PC. It did not disappoint. 120mhz changes everything. Gaming is ridiculously smooth now. Everyday operations and internet browsing feels more responsive and in tune. My main hesitation on this purchase was all the negative reviews and comments I've read concerning the color quality out of the box. Many people complain about the bad colors and brightness. I do not have this problem whatsoever. I am running windows 8 (which isn't as bad as everyone seems to think, just use the desktop) and I used the calibration tool. This monitor is absolutely perfect for my needs. Very easy on the eyes too. ISP screens just blast my eyes, so for long sessions this thing is great. I don't do the 3D thing, but perhaps I'll give it a go at some point. Also, the stand is top-notch. All monitors should take note on the design and build of this wonderful stand.

Update: I just watched The Dark Knight Rises on this monitor. AMAZING.
on September 27, 2012
I love the Monitor, and I payed a good price but there were a few issues.
First of all if you buy the monitor off Amazon, you don't get to return it unless there are 7 dead pixels or 3 dead pixels within a square inch. If you were to buy the monitor from the Benq website you can return it for any reason within 30 days.
Unfortunately I had 5 dead pixels around the lower right half of the monitor and although it doesn't have any significant disadvantage it does bother me when I have a small cluster that doesn't look as good as the rest of this beautiful screen.
Secondly another benefit of the Benq website is that there are some discounts available if you have coupon codes so you may be able to save a few bucks that way.

As far as the product goes it is a great monitor, the 120Hz is amazing and it really does make a difference when gaming. The monitor is easy to set up and has a lot of cool features.
on July 21, 2012
If you are an avid PC gamer and are looking for the best gaming monitor on the market look no further! The BenQ XL2420T monitor is truly a revolutionary technical solution until IPS gaming monitors come to the market. I currently own three Alienware AW2310 OptX 120Hz 3D monitors and love playing games in surround. The only drawback to these monitors is that they are LCD and not LED and thus do not have a very good contrast ratio. Also, their response time is only 3ms (gray-to-gray) compared to newer monitors on the market today that have 2ms (gray-to-gray). They also do not support NVidia's new 3D Vision 2 Lightboost technlogy which provides double the amount of backlight when 3D mode is enabled, effectively eliminating games from being too dark.

I ordered this monitor from Amazon and received it within 2 days - thank you Amazon Prime! I had the box opened and the monitor set up only minutes after the UPS delivered it to my doorstep. All I can say is "WOW!". The first thing I noticed (beside no dead pixels) was that the blacks were exceptional. I mean a really rich black color that my AW2310s are not able to produce. And all other colors throughout the gammut were sharp and exact thanks to the LED backlighting. Both the 120Hz and 3D modes worked flawlessly. The NVidia 3D Vision 2 Lightboost technology truly shines compared to the first generation 3D Vision. I was also truly amazed at the diverse menu selection that allows you to tailor the screen's particular characteristics based upon your own personal preferences. The mouse-like controller that comes with the monitor allows for you to navigate through the multiple menus with ease. The best part about the tailorability of the menus is the option to save up to three unique setups and then being able to select any one of them through the use of three buttons on the controller labeled as "1", "2", and "3". For me, I set up the buttons as such; "1" is for FPS games (BF3, MW3, Crysis 2, etc), button "2" is for RTS games (Diablo, XCOM, etc), and button "3" is reserved for watching movies or just surfing the internet.

Here is my list of PROs and CONs for the BenQ monitor:

PROs

1) Best gaming monitor on the market - LED backlight technology allows for very high contrast and better representation of color gammut
2) NVidia 3D Vision 2 compliant (requires you have 3D Vision 2 glasses and emitter - sold separately)
3) Only gaming monitor on the market that is equipped with a Displayport 1.2 that allows for full 120Hz and 3D support - no longer forced to use a dual-link DVI cable!!
4) Definitely a better investment for the price vs. other monitors in the same class
5) Monitor stand is outstanding - provides a wide array of adjustability; tilt, swivel, horizontal, and landscape/portrait rotation adjustability!
6) Monitor mount is VESA compliant (100mm x 100mm)
7) Dual-link DVI is included with the monitor
8) Matte finish - Depending on your preference, this may be a con. I highly prefer to use matte finished screens for gaming as I hate seeing reflections behind me. If you don't like matte finished screens, then don't buy this monitor!
9) Outstanding display response times; 2ms (gray-to-gray) and 5ms (black-to-white)
10) Brand new "Black eQualizer" technology reall works! Allows for you to brighten dark areas on-screen without making the light areas to bright - tested it in BF3 and wow! No more campers hiding from me in the dark areas of the map. I could see them easily and was able to even the playing field quickly :D

CONs

1) BenQ customer service is known to an absolute nightmare to deal with - I hope this monitor doesn't break or malfunction in the future (fingers crossed)
2) Made in China :( NUFF SAID!
3) Displayport cable not included - I had to order it separately off of Amazon (received it the same day - thanks again Amazon Prime!)
4) No 27 inch version of this monitor :(
5) This monitor is a Twisted Nematic (TN) panel monitor. TN panel monitors are inferior in overall picture quality and viewing angles versus IPS monitors. Unfortunately, there are no 120Hz 3D IPS monitors on the market today
6) NVidia 3D Vision kit is not included with this particular model - if you do want to buy this monitor bundled with a 3D Vision 2 kit (glasses and emitter), then get the BenQ XL2420XT

Bottomline, if you are looking for the best 120Hz 3D gaming monitor on the market with the very best picture quality and user adjustability, look no farther. The BenQ XL2420T is by far, the best out there in it's class!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2013
The monitor is a must, I bought 2 , they was for my son, he using for gaming for pc, and Xbox , great product!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2013
First of all, if you want a monitor for gaming, this is the monitor you want. Yes, there are monitors out there that have better gamut, and DPI, thus resulting in a better text reading and photoshopping experience, but this monitor is AIMED at Gaming. Which is all that I do on my custom built beast. I run a i5-3570K, 660ti so I more often than not put out more than 60fps in a game. That's fine and dandy for a 60hz screen, because it looks smooth. But if you get a 120hz screen, you see every single frame your GPU is rendering. Twice the frames per second. It's indescribable. Your games come alive, you instantly feel more confident in every game you play, especially first person shooters. I was getting crazy headshots like I've never gotten before.

Bottom line: If you want the best gaming monitor that still has a better picture than any other TN or LED out there, this is your go to.
on July 3, 2012
This monitor is great and a true 120 hertz monitor, which is a great relief to my eyes over the years of having used an outdated dell monitor.

I bought this 2 days ago, and it showed up on my doorstep before they even posted the tracking. It was extremely fast shipping.

The stand is completely adjustable and able to be rotated left and right as well as up and down. Which is great, my last monitor I bought I had to return because of how poorly made the stand is.

I have had this monitor for less than a day, I will update it if there are issues, but so far it is great. 100% perfect, no dead pixels or anything.

Also, the monitor's UI/menu system is really well done, pretty much the best I have ever seen. Its power button is located on the very far right hand side, it glows a very dim gray color that isn't distracting. When you touch the side of the monitor, a row of lights light up and act as buttons. It has a very futuristic look and feel to it.
on December 25, 2012
I used to play Counter Strike on a bad CRT, but even the bad CRT let me play 640x480 @ 120 hz or 800x600 @ 100 hz. Eventually, I got rid of it in favor of an LCD monitor due to the crisp image possible with DVI and the thinner profile. But I had not realized practically all LCD screens were 60 hz. It has been years since I switched over to an LCD screen and for all of those years, playing Counter Strike was not the same, and it was precisely because of the refresh rate difference.

To all of the naysayers out there, they probably don't play games at a competitive enough level to know how much of a difference it makes. It is NIGHT and DAY the difference between 60 hz and 120 hz, even 75 hz to 120 hz. The moment I hooked up this monitor and turned it on, I could tell the difference. Even just moving the mouse around on the desktop feels way better (aka - smoother). It is the most glorious purchase I've ever made with regards to computer hardware.

With this monitor, it is like playing on a CRT without all of the CRT baggage. 1-deags have never felt so good... there were entire situations that I simply wouldn't be able to handle very well on my previous LCD screen which was 60 hz, 75 hz on certain resolutions. Anything that required very fast movement was much more difficult to do at 60 hz because of the jittery feel. Twitch reaction shots like 1-deags are much easier to perform at 120 hz.

This monitor is an absolute must have for those who can afford it, play first person shooters, and have a computer capable of running said games at 120 FPS or higher. This monitor isn't really necessary in my opinion if you play RTS games or other games where you're not in direct control of your camera. Don't get me wrong, 120 hz is a very noticeable difference in many aspects that isn't unique to first person shooters, but it's hard to justify the premium price of this monitor if you do nothing but play StarCraft, World of Warcraft, Diablo, The Sims, or other non shooter games.

Also, you should know beforehand if you really can notice the difference between 120 hz and 60 hz. For me, it is absolutely clear the difference between 120 hz and 60 hz. Just show me the mouse moving around the screen and I can tell. My roommates, however, none of them can tell the difference. They simply don't know what to look for. They don't play games competitively. They don't push boundaries of player capabilities. If you're not the kind of player I am, you won't find much value in these 120 hz monitors.

Anyways, this monitor isn't just great for the 120 hz. It's also miles ahead of other monitors in regards to ergonomics. The stand the monitor comes with is pretty amazing. These days, almost all LCD monitors come with a silly fixed stand that will rotate if you're lucky. This thing has the full setup when it comes to the stand. I personally don't need it that much, but it sure is nice when I do to have all of that adjustability (height, tilt, swivel...).

The on screen display controls are also pretty slick. There are many adjustable options. One of my favorites is the variety of scaling options provided. This monitor is 1920x1080, but say your computer can't run your game at that resolution at the performance you need. So the simple thing is to drop down your graphics settings and drop down the resolution, right? On my old LCD, I HATED doing that. The scaling never worked right (well, it just wasn't in the monitor). Your 4:3 resolution was stretched to fill the whole 16:9 screen. Gross. I played Counter Strike like that for years just to get 75 hz. Not so on the XL2420T. The monitor will properly scale the image to a variety of presets, or to your own custom scale! When this scaling occurs, it will retain the 120 hz refresh rate, so you can play at whatever settings you wish at the correct aspect ratio.

My one main gripe with the screen is just how long it takes to switch inputs and the fact that the on screen display controls are programmable touch buttons without a "Switch Input" option. Why is this an issue? If you hook up both your computer and your gaming console (in my case, a PS3), you might often be running both. Sometimes, I switch to my PS3 and it takes a little while (not too long, maybe 2 or 3 seconds) to switch inputs. Not so bad. The problem comes when you turn a device OFF before switching inputs. Say I switch to the PS3 and then turn off the PS3. The monitor takes a few seconds to detect that the input has lost signal. During this time, the on screen display controls DO NOT RESPOND. You have either beat the momentary pause before the monitor realizes the input signal is lost and race to switch the inputs or you have to wait out the 2-3 seconds for it to detect the lost signal, then you can switch inputs. But then you need to wait another 2-3 seconds when you switch inputs, since that's how long it takes. What does this have to do with the programmable touch buttons? The touch buttons don't respond during the signal loss/input switch. Even if they did, you can't see what you're selecting, so it's hopeless there.

The main issue is the input switch times. If the input switching were instant, then this would be a non issue.

A few other items worth mentioning, since this is an LCD screen: viewing angles and ghosting. The viewing angles, as with all TN monitors, leaves something to be desired. This screen is not ideal for group use. You should be sitting squarely in front of the screen to see all the colors without distortion. It isn't like an atrocity compared to other TN monitors, but when you compare it to IPS screens, the viewing angles really are horrendous. With regard to ghosting, I personally don't notice ghosting while I play Counter Strike. I can, however, notice the halo effect when watching text scroll up and down when I browse web pages. This is a side effect of overdrive on low response time LCD screens, which is GOOD for gaming. But if you do a ton of text or image work and no gaming, you don't need a 120 hz TN panel.

Still, this monitor, is hands down the best gaming monitor I've ever used. Nothing else comes close (but I haven't used other 120 hz LCD screens). Even CRTs, I wouldn't want again. Who would want that kind of bulk and blurry VGA images? I want my crisp digital signals and my 1-deags.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2013
After purchasing a BenQ XL2420TX, I decided (after their support team said it wouldn't work) to purchase two XL2420T models for an Nvidia 3d Vision Surround setup. I connected the TX to the displayport on an NVidia GTX 660 card, and the two XL2420T monitors on the dual-link DVI connections. When I enabled surround, 3d was still available, and it worked perfectly with Torchlight 2, Mechwarrior Online, as well as Unigien Haven and Valley benchmarks (this is what I have tested so far). I also checked without 3d enabled on Skyrim, and this worked as well. Overall, I am very pleased with this combination. I never tried any 3d vision monitors from the earlier generation, but brightness doesn't appear to be an issue with these, and I am very happy with the purchase!

Edit: After having both XL24020T's for a few months, one went out on me. The power would come on, the screen would flicker on, then go back off. After contacting support and explaining the issue, and them doing some due diligence to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong, they promptly issued an RMA number, I shipped it back, and the monitor was repaired promptly. It is now back on my desk. While I would prefer if the RMA didn't have to happen, I was happy with the overall process.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...