4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Tool
Published on January 5, 2010 by New England Tool Snob

2.0 out of 5 stars OK product within limits but not recommended
The Bench Dog Crown Molding Cutting Jig is a helpful product within limits, but I found that it wasn't completely satisfactory for what I needed. Here is why:
- The body of the jig raises the molding up above the saw table. This makes it much harder to keep a long piece of molding perfectly straight for cutting.
- The thickness of the bottom of the jig also...
Published on August 15, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Tool, January 5, 2010
This review is from: Bench Dog 10-027 Polymer Crown-Cut Crown Molding Cutting Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
I used this jig for the first time last month to successfully install crown molding in two rooms. This was also my first time installing crown molding so the concept of cutting everything upside down took some time to get used to, but once I got it, the cuts came quickly. The jig obviously cannot compensate for an incorrect measurement or a poor cut, but it was helpful in guiding the user to determine the correct side of the blade to place the molding, showing the direction of the cut, and keeping the crown held securely at the correct angle from the base to the back of the fixture.

The plastic is very durable (dropped it several times on concrete without incident) and the clamp with two plastic wing nuts can be tightened to keep the molding firmly in place. I would have liked to have some rubber coating on the bottom of the fixture to reduce slight scraping of the table but mainly to stop the jig from sliding on the table once in position. It would also be nice if the jig had a built in clamp so it could be secured to the back fence or the table without interfering with the cut.

I would definitely recommend this fixture instead of buying crown stops that are usually specific to your miter saw and may not hold crown molding as well as this jig.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK product within limits but not recommended, August 15, 2010
A Kid's Review
- The thickness of the bottom of the jig also made it very difficult to use with medium sized (4-3/8) moldings on my 10 inch saw. The molding kept scraping the bottom of the blade while I adjusted it into position.
- Using this device meant trying to keep one extra thing straight. It is easy to get the molding straight in the jig, but then it becomes annoying to make sure the jig is straight on the saw table.
- The jig is useless for short (under about 12") pieces.

On the good side:
- The clear instructions on the face of the jig help prevent those really stupid mistakes that everyone does with crown.
- For moderate length and moderate sized material it is quite helpful.
- If the user has a chop saw that isn't compound, a tool like this is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, June 11, 2009
Peter A. Becker (New Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This thing is brilliant - best $30 I ever spent. I had been dreading the job of crown molding on the kitchen cabinets I had just installed after looking through all the how to's....figuring out angles, glueing guides to arm saw, etc. etc. etc. I had little confidence that I was going to be able to do the quality work that the rest of the installation had warranted.
I'm not even sure how I came across this thing but what I thought was going to be a weekend (at least) and lots of thinking and measuring 15 times, turned into a few hours without 1 error or "miss".
I can't compare it to any of the other products like this, but it worked great for the standard ceiling/kitchen molding I was using.
If you're a DIY'er thinking about doing crown molding, don't even think twice about this purchase, you won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help!, July 13, 2009
I picked this up for doing crown molding on wood cabinets and it works great. Inside and outside miters come out perfect for molding that can't be painted. Everyone who has seen my cabinets wants to know how I got such perfect cuts that didn't need to be filled. The other secrets are quality fine tooth blade and slow cutting to avoid any tear-out.

So far I've cut up to 6" molding on my 12" miter saw with no issues. For the guy who had issues with 5" molding on his 10" saw, it's not the jig's fault.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but.., February 1, 2010
It is a nice jig although I would prefer it heavier and have a larger base. It works good on 4-5" molding but anyting larger it feels a bit small.It is durable as it has fallen off the table a couple of times without cracking. It does hold the molding quite well on the fence. Bench Dog makes a good product. I also have the Crown 45 and use it for certain applications but the Bench Dog I think is a better product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tool, May 11, 2009
This tool worked great for me. I'm a competent do-it-yourselfer, but didn't like crown moulding because of the hassle of using a compound miter saw and screwing up the angles. This tool and a borrowed nail gun made the job a snap. The pictures made it easy to make sure I was making the right cut and the box was easy to position to place the cut in exactly the right place. No problem cutting on both sides with my mitre saw

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Money!!, June 4, 2010
This jig, when used with the True Angle Tool, makes cutting compound miter joints perfect. You won't regret purchasing this jig, if you have crown molding to install. Purchased on Amazon and it was received as indicated, well packaged and not damaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money., December 12, 2009
Worth the money - it's easy to use and reminds you how to use it. I use it infrequently so it's nice to have the directions directly on the jig itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes the guesswork out of crown moulding. But little issues can make using this product a pain, October 14, 2012
This product makes cutting crown moulding fairly easy. However you have to be careful of a few things. The center extension fence of my unit was not parallel with the outer fences and had to be shimed to match. (Shims are not included) When making a cut with the jig on the right side of the saw I had trouble with the saw's motor housing hitting the jig and preventing me from making the cut. I built a little stand that allows me to place the jig further away from the saw to fix the problem.

This jig will hold the moulding so you get matching left and right side cuts, just be ready to make a few adjustments before use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 28, 2013
Never did crown molding before, and this made the process easy and the results profession. By following the direction, double checking alignment of molding with images of walls, etc. you won't waste any wood. I used pine and painted it, but if you're working with expensive hardwood molding, I'd say this product is a must.

Bench Dog 10-027 Polymer Crown-Cut Crown Molding Cutting Jig
$37.45 $30.84
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.