4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a mental challenge? Look no further.
Published on April 2, 2000 by Edward Yang

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading. More "self-help" than raw Franklin.
Published 19 months ago by JM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a mental challenge? Look no further., April 2, 2000
This review is from: Benjamin Franklin's The Art of Virtue: His Formula for Successful Living (Paperback)
I saw this book one day when I was browsing Franklin Covey planners in the mall. It had been awhile since I read something not business related so I thought I'd give this a shot. I'll be honest when I tell you I enjoy a good read but this book took me about one year to read from beginning to end. The first few chapters weren't too bad but then it got into a section about a debate between two philosophers on the definition of virtue and why one should practice a virtuous life. I've never read anything that mentally straining in my life (my degree is in Mechanical Engineering BTW). I enjoy the arts but that one section took me about a month before I could fully digest what the philosophers were saying in the span of less than 2 pages. This one section proved so enlightening that my head hurt for about 2 days after I had a chance to chew on the content. If you had any doubts that the founding forefathers of this great nation were anything but geniuses, this should dispell any and all myths. I must say that I even had to break out the dictionary for some of the diction used in this book in that it was definitely not your everyday conversational english. If you enjoy mental challenges of a higher level and your mastery of the English language is proficient enough to understand the fine nuances of sentence structure and double, sometimes triple meanings, I would recommend this book. If you're looking for something a little more entertaining and easier on the mind, then definitely look somewhere else. But I will admit, when I did finally complete this book one year later, I actually felt a major sense of accomplishment. I guess that makes me just a little more virtuous?

5.0 out of 5 stars A primer in basic American values. Insightful, witty, genius, April 29, 1999
By A Customer
If you ever doubted the basis upon which our great country is built, read the ideals of one of its creators. Benjamin Franklin demonstrates that his contribution to the creation of the United States was purposeful. I am now jealous of the resource that Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Washington, et. al. had when he added to their discourse. The Art of Virtue organizes and describes Franklin's perception of a virtuous life, defines happiness by his own values, and shows how every person has the power to pursue a virtuous life to become a happy person. Those famous inalienable rights which Jefferson quoted in the Declaration of Independence come alive with Franklin's wit and wisdom. It is not often I acknowledge a wise man, but Franklin was no doubt an oracle in the field of character. Most impressively, this wisdom is just as applicable today as it was 200 or 2000 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "Right Way", October 17, 2000
A book like this should be mandatory reading for everyone. Particularly people who represent other people's interests for a living, such as World Leaders, Presidents, Kings, etc., would find it absolutely useful; a kind of constant tool, a compass that keeps them on the right track once and again. This is a book that shows not only Franklin's wit and wisdom, but also his vulnerability, that wonderful human quality, thus making it enchanting and insightful. Buy this book, learn and practice these principles, and enjoy the new breath of fresh air you'll experience in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless work, March 28, 2006
When you look at the cover and the preface, the book may appear to be written by Benjamin Franklin, but that is somewhat misleading. Sure, the essence of the book comes from the writings of B.F., but the editor of the book has also done a great job of putting a collection of writings by Franklin into an excellent structure.

Twelve virtues are identified answering key questions about the source of happiness, how to attain it, and many other important aspects of life. Each virtue is supported by B.F.'s writings. I especially liked the summaries at the end of each chapter that would emphasize the essential points of the corresponding virtue.

This is a very accessible book, and a great companion for anyone who thinks life should be more than pursuing selfish goals and satisfying petty pleasures.

Perhaps, this work is more useful in understanding B.F.'s wisdom than his autobiography, which is another great classic.

I was slightly confused as to why the book was presented to be merely a book by B.F., given that the editor has contributed quite a bit in terms of organization and explanations. Perhaps to improve the sales?

In any event, this is a great work that, I bet, will improve the perspective of anyone who reads it actively.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER-CALA-FRAGA-LISTIC-EXPI-ALA-DOSCIOUSE, April 6, 1999
By A Customer
I am actually in the process of reading this book right now, and I love it. The things that Rogers decided to include in this book about the life and wisdom of Benjamin Franklin has definately given me new insights into who he was, but more importantly, insights into specific ways how I can better my own life. In an instant I would strongly recomend to people to not just read it, but find ways to apply the things they learn in thier lives. It's just good, what else can I say?

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally Insightful Piece from One of History's Great Thinkers, May 3, 2010
The Art of Virtue covers Franklin's twelve principles for living a virtuous, happy and productive life. Franklin never complied these into a book himself, thus George Rogers pieced this together from several of Franklin's written pieces, segments from his Almanacs, and other various sources including letters to friends. Rogers' commentary is complete with analysis and summations that result in an exceptionally well flowing masterpiece.

Franklin observed that people tend to let their values be dictated by the tide of popular opinion; an ominous notion given that the choices we make that govern our lives are generally in the context of our value system. Franklin asserts choosing values is among the most important choices we make as human beings; thus the greatest of all ambitions is to develop strong character. All his guidance is based on the principle that the one thing all humans have in common in a desire to be happy, and therefore being of strong character and living a virtuous life is the most logical path to true happiness.

Franklin's ideals are strong on morals, yet are also powerfully pragmatic. He does not suggest merely living an altruistic life, but to live by a set of guiding principles that lead to productivity built upon strong character. Said best by Franklin, "To be happy it is necessary to learn how to govern one's passions and appetites, to be just in one's dealings with others, to be temperate in one's pleasures, to support oneself with fortitude in difficulties, and to be prudent in one's affairs."

An added benefit, George Rogers offers such a fine overview of Franklin's thoughts that Rogers nearly maintains the grandeur of Franklin himself. If more work was available from Rogers I would jump at the chance to find a copy. This book is an outstanding success and one I readily recommend to those who value practical philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Ben Franklin, January 23, 2007
Great book on Benjamin Franklin's life. This book will make you a better person. Read it and digest it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading. More "self-help" than raw Franklin., May 26, 2013
I wish I would have paid more attention to another review here (from D. Gamble) that emphasized that this really is not unadulterated Franklin. I think it's misleading to list Benjamin Franklin as the author (as Amazon does). Certainly listing him as the author couldn't hurt sales. I wonder what Franklin would think about authorship of this book being ascribed to him.

The editor, George L. Rogers, interjects himself and his own ideas far more than most editors would venture to do, and in so doing becomes more the author than the editor (I'd guess a good half of the text in the book is from Rogers rather than Franklin). Interspersed throughout the book are "Franklin's formulas for successful living" written by Rogers (inexplicably in verse form) that I suppose are meant to summarize particular aspects of Franklin's philosophy. These always seem to ramble listlessly and bear no resemblance to what I would understand as a formula, i.e. a terse representation of the essence of an idea.

While there is a decent amount of raw source material from Franklin's writings, Rogers isn't content to let Franklin take the helm. The result is that the book has the feel of something from the self-help section, supplemented with Franklin's writings or life history. This isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but still disappointing if you're expecting to get a book *by* Benjamin Franklin, as it claims to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom and truth of the ages never changes., June 25, 2014
This book was packed with a lot of simple truths and wisdom. The thoughts put forth are just as valid today as they were 250 years ago. I can only wish that more folks were inclined to study this type of material. The world would be a much better place for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 13, 2014
I'm reading this book to my son during our homeschool. "Virtues" aren't taught in public school. My son was old enough to have heard of Benjamin Franklin as a scientist, so the "virtues" of not wasting time and working toward a goal when stated by Franklin carry more weight than if just spoken by me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Benjamin Franklin's The Art of Virtue: His Formula for Successful Living
Benjamin Franklin's The Art of Virtue: His Formula for Successful Living by Benjamin Franklin (Paperback - June 1, 1996)
Used & New from: $0.80