5.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE

Published 20 months ago by Vaughn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
I odered this rifle on amazon because they had the best price with free shipping. I have looked at a lot of pellet guns online trying to figure out which one I wanted. I knew I wanted one with a Nitro Piston instead of a spring. I couldn't wait for the Benjamin Trail NP to show up in the mail. It looks cool online and I was hoping it looked as good in my hands. I wasn't let down. I recently bought a Savage Arms 22LR and the Benjamin Trail is built much better. It also comes with a really nice scope. I took it out in the back yard and shot the first shot into the ground to see how loud it was, and it was loud. The first shot made a dog in the neighborhood start barking, but the second shot was much quiter. I have shot it a few hundred times now and it has gotten even better. The instructions say it has a hundred shot break in period and it's true. It gets better the more you shoot it. Right now I am using the Crosman Field Hunting .177 Cal, 7.4 Grains, Pointed, 1250ct. They are cheap, but you can shoot all you want. I plan on getting some heavier pellets to see how they do. My friend has a Dasiy spring break barrel pallet gun. When I shoot his you can feel the spring shaking after you shoot and is just a little louder. The best part about the Nitro Piston is that it is smooth. The trigger does suck. It does feel like a long trigger pull. I losened the screw a few turns and it seemed to help a little. At frist I wanted to replace it, but now I am used to it so it doesn't bother me anymore. Overall this is a very nice gun for a good price. Now I just need to find a gun case that is wide enough for the pistol grip and scope on it. I don't like carring it to and from my car because it looks like a big gun and I don't want my neighbors giving me weird looks.

UPDATE: 21/JULY/2011: I wish I would have gotten the .22 size. I originally got the .177 because the ammo is half the price as .22, but it would be nice to have the bigger punch from a bigger pellet. Also I don't know if is the ammo or not but I can't seem to get it to shoot consistently. I took it to the range and shot a target 30 yards away. I used 4 different types of pellets and adjusted the scope a tiny bit at a time. After adjusting the scope it would shoot right where I wanted it, but a few shots after it would always seemed to go back to shooting high. I couldn't get it to shoot center. I will have to give it another try.

UPDATE: 22/MAY/2012: I still have this gun and it's still nice. Now that I have had it for a while not only do I wish I would have gotten the .22, but now I wish I would have bought a pellet gun that had iron sights so I had the option to take the scope off. I don't really trust the scope to be on target. It always seems to shoot high and right. I can still hit my target, but thats because I make the adjustment when aiming and I am low and left. Another reviewer suggested to screw the scope adjustments all the way in and out to lossen it up. I am going to give that a try. I did find a gun case that fits perfect and has a pocket on the outside that holds all my pellets. Plano Gun Guard 300S Soft Rifle Case, Hunter Green

3.0 out of 5 stars General Review for Break Barrel pellet gun Scope combos without iron sights, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
This review is not specifically for this rifle, but for all break barrel pellet rifles scope combos that do not have fixed sights. I am a pellet rifle shooter with over 22 years of experience. I decided to write this review because of the many reviews I have read here on Amazon about accuracy problems with these break barrel scope combo pellet guns that come without fixed sights. Many people are confused about why the guns are so inaccurate. While there are certainly pellet guns that are more accurate then others, even the most accurate break barrel pellet gun in the world will be inaccurate with a scope that is mounted to the piston chamber and not the barrel. The problem is not the scope or the gun. There is a cardinal rule that applies to all rifle shooting. The way to attach a scope for best accuracy is to mount it to a gun with an unmovable barrel or attach it to the barrel itself. These Hollywood movies that show a sniper put together a gun out of a suit case and shoot with pin point accuracy are a joke! You could never do that in real life. The problem with all break barrel pellet guns and scopes is that the scope mounts to the piston chamber and the barrel moves each time you cock the gun. No matter how precision the cocking mechanics of the gun is, the barrel will never be exactly in the same place after each cocking procedure. This is why it is impossible to get a break barrel pellet gun to be very accurate with a scope mounted on it. I bought an RWS Diana 1.77 Pellet Rifle in 1990. I have owned it for 22 years and have shot countless thousands of rounds through it. It is so accurate that I can literally stack pellets on top of each other at 25 yards ( on a good day), but only with fixed sights. I once saw a new pair of Nike shoes about my size hanging from the power lines. I went home got my pellet rifle, came back stopped the car and shot the shoe string in half in one shot. They fit me perfect and were brand new. A while back I was squirrel hunting in a pecan orchard when a found a huge pear tree out in the middle of it. I was hungry (for pears) and the pears were way up high, so I sat there and shot down about a dozen pears by shooting the stems off. I have tried a few scopes on this same pellet gun over the years and cannot get better pattern then 1.5 inch pattern at 25 yards with a scope attached. I say again, the scope is not the problem. The problem is that scope is not attached to the barrel and the barrel moves. Fixed sights are mounted to the barrel and so they do not move. Why any company would design a pellet gun without iron sights is insane. This is what happens when people that know nothing about shooting design guns.

This review is for information only. It is not intended to be a review of the quality of this particular pellet rifle. The only aspect of this pellet rifle that I am reviewing here is the fact that it does not come with fixed sights and anyone that is considering buying it should be aware that it does not have fixed sights and the manufacturer does not provide any way to add fixed sights to the gun. As a result, this pellet rifle can only be used with a scope and as such the buyer should not expect any high degree of accuracy out of this rifle. Personally, I believe that it is crazy that a company like Benjamin would not be aware of the accuracy problems with break barrel pellet guns and scopes and that they would make a gun without fixed sights. But that is just me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Package, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
I don't think you could ask for a better pellet gun package for the price. For a little over $200 you get a solid .177 pellet gun (synthetic stock is great, as you don't have to worry about marking it up as you would with wood) with the nitro piston, a good looking barrel, a nice scope, and a pretty decent sling. The gun is extremely solid and feels great in your hands. It is on the heavy side, but I think the weight helps overcome some of the side effects of the springer/piston style kick. The one thing it should come with is the RMCoil to lubricate the compression chamber. The stuff is hard to find in stores and from what I understand you don't want to use standard firearm oil for the compression chamber. The weaver rail for the scope worked great and made mounting the scope very easy. The gun is quiet, considering it is capable of slinging .177 pellets up to 1,200 fps with alloy ammo (personally, I don't want the pellet going that fast as I believe the pellet doesn't have the weight to overcome the negative effects of approaching/exceeding the sound barrier). I have used crossman ultra magnum domed pellets to slow the speed and have achieved great accuracy as a result. The extra weight of the pellet is great for taking care of back yard varmint. The trigger is very long and a little heavy out of the box. However, the trigger adjustment screw allows you to shorten the pull and once adjusted bacomes a very usable trigger. As previously stated, it is a great package that gave zero issues when setting it up for its first use and has been a pleasure to use ever since. It is hard to put the thing down because it is so much fun to shoot. An added plus is that the thing is one of the baddest looking pellet guns around. It just looks like it means business and begs to be fired at something other than a measly paper target.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but improvements required +++ UPDATED, August 22, 2011
AK (Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
For a $200 air gun, this Trail NP .177 isn't bad. If you think you are getting a Ninja quiet squirrel shooter for the neighborhood, you might want to reconsider. I have spent about 2 weeks with this gun and have learned several things about it at the range as well as in the neighborhood.

The word on the street is that the gun will quiet down after about 50 - 100 rounds. So far, I find that somewhat true. Nothing like a 10dB drop but "just a little" quieter. I think that this gun sounds like a roofers' nail gun, you hear the air "squirt" from the nail gun and then the POP when the pellet/nail hits the target.

One thing I discovered after the target groups were pretty bad (3" at 25 yards) was that the barrel was an absolute greasy mess. No wonder the groups were terrible. Since it was hard to find a .177 cleaning rod, I took a clothes hanger and straightened it out so that it would go down the barrel without rubbing the rifling. I pushed 3/4" gun patches with WD-40 and let it soak for a few minutes. Even after ten patches, the patches were still coming out black. Finally I got the barrel clean and went out and shot a 1" group at 25 yards.

I chrono'd the gun and got 921fps, 921fps, and 926fps for a three shot group using RWS Meisterkugeln pellets, that's pretty darn good consistency.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the scope either. The point of impact of the pellets on the target are not really moving in the correct proportion to the number of scope clicks. Sometimes 1 inch up at 25 yards is 16 clicks, sometimes it is 6 clicks??????? I may (UPDATE - did replace) replace the scope too after I replace the trigger.

One last thing, the trigger is AWFUL. The trigger has a long, strange (feels like) two stage trigger without a crisp break point. First on my list is to replace the trigger with a CharliedaTuna dot com trigger, that is what the experts say to use. (no kidding, that is the website)

Overall, a pretty good gun, several orders of magnitude better than a Crossman BB gun from 20 years ago BUT less quality and performance than a Benjamin Marauder .25 or Edgun PCP gun.

+++ UPDATED 8/27/11 After installing the GRT3 trigger and a Bushnell Badger scope, the difference is night and day. The trigger is phenomenal and the scope works perfectly, charliedatuna dot com for grt3 and pyramydair dot com for the scope. Groups are roughly half of what they were before the improvements. Now the gun is 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LIKE THIS RIFLE, BUT VERY PICKY WITH PELLETS, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
I really love this rifle, its well made,(for the price) looks great, and overall solid, with a great scope. Trigger here of course sucks, so I replaced my with a custom trigger from ArizonaAirguns.com. and it works great, nice light pull and a crisp break. This rifle however is very picky with pellets. I tried a lot of different pellets, and the best ones that work for me are JSB DIABLO EXACT 8.4GR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great technology!!!, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
This is my second Nitro Piston air rifle, the other is the Bengamin Titan. Comparing this with the Titan is the NP has a better scope and is slightly more powerful and is also quieter. There isn't much else to say other then these are the best rifles you can buy and the technology has come so far that these last longer and are better in every way compared to the old spring technology. You used to have to buy a custom pellet gun to get these results, but now you can spend 200 bucks and get the best pellet gun out there. I will probably buy another, a .22 so I have a hard hitter that isn't sub sonic, but these are great for target practice and pest control. Shot a pigeon off my roof and direct hit and didn't damage my roof. Super accurate and my neighbors were none the wiser. I actually don't like shooting birds or anything else that is living, but this was a pest and this is a great pest control tool. The pigeons mate took off and never came back. I was sad to have to kill the bird, but glad I didn't have to shoot both. I have a ton of fun with this thing, there is nothing like setting up targets on a country road with my nephew. teaching him the value of life by not targeting birds, and teaching him proper gun safety. These are no toys, search youtube you will see these guns are used to hunt and kill pigs, full grown pigs. Always be aware of your surroundings, these aint your daddy's BB gun!! On a calm day you can hit 100 yards with the right pellet, expect 1/4 inch groups at 25 yards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
This air rifle is outstanding compared to the crosman spring air rifle I bought a year ago. The spring rifle had the kick of a .22LR (maybe even more) and was just about as noisy. It was accurate until the plastic sights got banged and I could never get it quite right.
This Benjamin Nitro piston rifle blew me away. It's slightly easier to cock and fires with very little recoil and is very quite. With the spring rifle I could get a shot off at one varmint before they all heard it and went quickly into hiding. With this Nitro rifle they don't hear it and keep going about their business of destruction. Every few weeks I have to thin out the herd and this has worked extremely well.
Please keep in mind that the rifle is only as good as the pellet. I got a bad double pack of crosman destroyer pellets. They were within 12" at 20 yds and every now and then one would go "off the map". I've had better luck with crosman premier HP pellets. I can hit within 2" at 30 yds consistently.
The only thing I wish this rifle had was iron sights... it's hard to find an air rifle with TRUE iron sights though. The scope is decent though, no problems there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Powerful and Accurate Air Rifle for Great Price!, December 29, 2012
CHIRAG CHAUDHARI (OAK FOREST, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
*** Before I start writing the review let me say: "DO NOT BUY THIS POWERFUL RIFLE IN .177 FLAVOR. GET .22 CAL. IF YOUR (stupid) STATE LAW PROHIBITS BUYING .22 W/O FOID (FIRE ARMS OWNERS ID) THEN APPLY FOR IT AND WAIT OR GET LESS POWERFUL RIFLE (>1000 FPS)"

I bought this in .177 flavor for $192.xx (Amazon price keeps changing, originally I paid $224.xx but I called customer service and they gave me the difference back).

Pros.
> Very Powerful
> Very Accurate (Use Heavy Pellets eg. Crosman Ultra Magnum Heavy, and Hold the Rifle the same way EveryTime)
> Weaver rails welded to chamber
> Big Thumb hole stock (great while hunting in cold weather with Hand Gloves)
> Nice Sling provided
> Decent Scope (Like AO and Mil Dots)

Cons.
> Trigger (Its Adjustable but that dosent help at all :/ )
> Very heavy

TRIGGER : DONT GO FOR "CHARLIE DA TUNA" There is video on YouTube using washer you can Mod it to be Hair Trigger.
But I suggest NOT TO USE WASHER but use something very very small in diameter, I used back Cover of BIC ball point pen.
Works Great. See pictures (i used two layers first but just use only One ring)
** if you ever mod your trigger NEVER EVER PULL TRIGGER WHILE COCKING THE GUN, Because of Moding Trigger dosent locks while cocking and the break Barrel Returns to its position with full force Resulting in Bent Barrel.

4.0 out of 5 stars GUN GOOD SCOPE CRAP, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
As soon as i recieved the gun I cleaned the barrel. Then proceeded to sight in scope. After 20 rounds all over the place, I cleaned the barrel again. It wassn't until I switched pellet types did I relize this gun is picky on what goes down the tube. The scope is crap. I could not get it to remain sighted in until I went far right then far left, all the way up then down. then the sights started working...in large corrections. two or threee clicks then tap the scope is the best method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class and beyond, May 5, 2014
Susan Thomas (Edwardsville, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177) (Sports)
Took me a while to finally choose the Benjamin Trail NP over several very nice Gamo rifles. I purchased the Benjamin Train NP pistol at Wallmart a few months ago and was very impressed with it. I am extremely pleased with this purchase. Aside from the fact that I have been an avid air rifle/pistol shooter for over 30 years, I also have shot competition in both pistol(.45) and rifle(.308) for many years. I didnt like the fact that, with alloy pellets, the muzzle velosity exceeded 1100 fps. This obviously makes the rifle louder from the mini sonic boom effect. Furthermore, as the pellet begins to slow, the shockwave can catch up and tumble the light alloy pellets. This is not an issue with the heavier lead ammo as it chronies at 1050, 1052, and 1049 with a 9.4 grain lead pellet. Before even mounting the CenterPoint 3-9x40mm scope, I ran a patch through followed by about 50 break-in shots and then another quick cleaning. After mounting the scope, I dialed it in at 25 yards with less than 10 shots and there it stayed. The rifle is actually more power than I needed as I am not a hunter. At 25 yards, this rifle is a nail driver and penetrates the first 70 pages of a phone book. I am able to consistantly achieve 1/2 inch or less groupings at this distance and now prefer it over my Winchester 1000X. As any mechanical thing you buy, there will occasionally be a lemon. I really believe that anyone giving this rifle less than 4 stars just sucks at shooting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Benjamin Trail NP All Weather Air Rifle (.177)
$324.99 $169.00