Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

on January 8, 2013
I used to enjoy watching The Benny Hill Show. This set contains Benny Hill shows from 1969 to 1989.
There are three volumes in the set. Each volume contains six disks.
Volume 1: 1969 to 1974 - 21 episodes.
Volume 2: 1975 to 1981 - 20 episodes.
Volume 3: 1982 to 1989 - 17 episodes.
There is a rather spartan booklet (one sheet, quad-folded) in the first volume that lists the tracks for all eighteen disks. It lists skit titles for each show, but it does not give production information or dates.
When you insert a disk, you must endure: the FBI warning, a plug for A&E Home Video (quite loud!), a plug for Fremantle Media, and clips of shows--all before the main menu appears (about one minute and fifteen seconds). You cannot circumvent this.
The main menu for each disk lists only the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 (for the shows on that disk). There is no alternate audio and no captions--open or closed. There is no option to play an entire disk.
When you select a show and press Play, you get a list of tracks within that show. If you press Play again, it plays the entire show. If you select a specific track, it plays from that point to the end of the show. Playback stops after each show and displays the main menu again.
The disks played equally well in a component DVD player or the DVD drive of a computer (using WinDVD).
The video and sound quality are very good to excellent. I did not try all the disks, but the ones I tried played well.
88 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
The films of the shows I've viewed so far generally were very good duplicates. The sound is sharp and well defined on the shows that I watched. Very clean films that were not remastered, but the ones I've played, so far, look good on a 65-inch TV. Keep in mind that they were not wide-screen, but the old, narrow TV format, so, to avoid veiwing distortion, set your wide-screen TV for narrow screen (1.33 to 1) with grayed out vertical bars on the sides.

The only negative of "Benny Hill" is that his absurd humor is addictive. Once I started watching, everything planned for the evening was dumped, since I couldn't stop watching this superbly executed humor.

An added plus were his female trio singing those ancient songs that us older viewers enjoyed. They do it well, one per show, apparently.
on July 31, 2015
The only problem with this Megaset is that there are no English subtitles. As a big fan of Benny Hill, I enjoy his great wit and humor...but now as I age and my hearing gets less and less, I had hoped that this Megaset would have subtitles or SDH, but alas it doesn't. The picture quality is OK, but unfortunately AMAZON didn't disclose that these Benny Hill episodes don't have subtitles. In the future, please AMAZON disclose whether or not a movie or 'megaset' like this one has English subtitles or SDH. With a growing population of retired folks with varing degrees of hearing loss, having movies with subtitles becomes more and more necessary. I suggest that AMAZON specifically address this issue with your many movie vendors as this is a growing need. I ask that you revise your selling and description policies to include whether or not a movie has subtitles because while I will keep this set, if would have been nice and appropriate to disclose this factor so a buyer is aware of a manufacturer taking short cuts like this. It is the honest thing to do, and I hope AMAZON will advocate for and help accomodate deaf and hearing impaired folks, whether they be Senior Citizens like me, or not.
55 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
I have to face it: my parents are old, and they're cranky. I ordered this and kept teasing them something great was coming, and they shrugged me off. The night I plopped this in their lap while they watched TV, I saw their faces light up like kids on Christmas day. My dad in particular couldn't wait to play one DVD after another, and before I knew it he was laughing loudly and slapping his knee, disturbing our cats. Totally worth the price.

Being born and bred in the US, a lot of the dialogue skits are so thick with Hill's accent that we skipped through those. There's also a lot of cultural reference jokes that we just don't get. A lot of the singers and bands that appear are completely unheard of here as well. But, it's the crude humor and the non-narrative skits that even coughs up a laugh or two from my desensitized throat. Yeah there's some nudity, but in this day and age, barely even noticed.

Very memorable sound effects that I heard of as a kid and still imitate these days, like when Hill repeatedly slaps the old cast member's head several times. Stuff like that just never gets old.
on October 31, 2012
A gift for my father-in-law, who lives with us. He's spent HOURS in his room laughing his tail off at these old shows. THAT'S the picture of a successful gift.
on June 22, 2015
What can I say that you don't already know??? This Benny Hill Complete Megaset Collection is the pinnacle of his legacy career!!!! It represents many many hours, several decades ago, spent in front of my TV rolling in laughter!! From the late sixties to 1989, one of the most funny British men "OF ALL TIME," entertained you with reckless abandon!! No topic was taboo! His slapstick comedy was fresh...but maybe on the risqué side at times...but you looked forward to seeing him and his crew of regulars on TV, EVERY WEEK!!

There are 18 wonderful disks in this collection. The hardcore Benny fans will find this collection quite lacking. Lots of the episodes have been cut and some of the major episode themes are either missing or so small in content, as to disappoint you greatly!! Overall, the collection is well worth the money and well worth the laughs from one of the greats...a master of comedy.
VINE VOICEon July 22, 2015
HILARIOUS! My husband and I used to watch Benny Hill back in the 1970s and 80s on TV. When we relocated to Hawaii, Benny wasn't shown on TV here. The only way we saw him was via VHS, and those usually had a few shows on them. We are happy to get his Thames series on DVD, since there's a lot of episodes we haven't seen for years. I was extremely happy to get this set on sale here at Amazon. Whenever my husband is feeling depressed (he suffers from Parkinson's Disease), I pop in a Benny DVD and it makes him laugh and smile.
on February 16, 2016
Picture quality is great for a show that was on TV over 40 years ago. I prefer the original show quality because it brings you back to a different time for entertainment! I liked it so much that I purchased every available Benny Hill DVD that Amazon offered.
on July 18, 2015
Benny Hill is not politically correct.You either love him or hate him. I love him. Some of his routines are purely verbal and some are purely visual. Alfred Hitchcock described some movies as "pictures of people talking." I love his visual routines and his use of "under-cranking." You HAVE to look at it, you just can't listen to it.
on June 3, 2015
Although these DVD's have not been remastered, the quality is excellent. The only thing I wish was that there was a play all option on the discs but beside that minor issue, this is a great collection to have in your collection. It is hours of laughs.

The extras I've watched so far were excellent and informative as well.

Benny Hill is one of the greatest comedians of the 20th century. The only one, in my opinion, that could even come close to Benny Hill was Dave Allen.