5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful Spirals? Sure!
Published on October 10, 2010 by Jennifer H-S

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nifty, but check out other models
Published 24 months ago by Maryland Shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful Spirals? Sure!, October 10, 2010
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
I purchased the Benriner Cook Helper for making raw pasta from squash and zucchini. After researching other spiral slicers (including the two more popular brands: Joyce Chen 51-0662 Saladacco Spiral Slicer, White, World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer), I ran across a forum on a cooking website where many people swore by the Benriner and had purchased it to replace the two aforementioned brands. I'm glad I found that forum, because it led me to search for the Benriner on Amazon.

First, the Benriner is sturdy, despite the fact that it's plastic. I've cranked on it pretty ruthlessly, and I'm sure it will hold up to years of use. It does a good job making raw pasta from zucchini and squash. Carrots are tricky because of the size--play around with the way you slice them first, and you'll get it to work. One of my favorite uses for the Benriner is spiralizing beets. It makes quick work of an otherwise messy job, and a spiral-sliced beet salad is one of the sexiest summer meals you'll ever meet.

You'll have to play with the blade attachments to find the one that works for each veggie: sometimes on harder veggies, the smaller size works best. Just be patient, and you'll learn to play well with your new kitchen helper.

The Benriner doesn't speak English too fluently--the box and the directions are unclear, but they're so darn cute that it's ok. You don't need the directions anyway--this tool is easy to use, the blades swap out easily, and it's easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Truly Reliable Spiral Slicer!, April 14, 2007
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
The Benriner Cook's Helper originated in Japan and aren't we glad that its made its way to the US! A very reliable spiral slicer offering true versatility and durability. Made of ABS and Nylon reinforced resin, this spiral slicer is here to stay! Just crank and churn with the option of cutting continuous strings, strips or curly strands with four different blades to choose from (1) Flat edged blade, and (3) Tooth edged blades (Coarse, Medium and Fine) This is all you'll need to get you're creative juices flowing. You can create beautiful salads, elegant garnishes and main courses, if you're a Raw Foodist. The famous Spaghetti type strands that all raw food diets long for, using yellow squash and Zucchini turn into beautiful replicas of their wheat counterparts. Want to experiment with super thin slices of cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and onions etc; be my guest because you can't go wrong! Everything turns out beautifully every single time. Cleaning is also a snap, just use soapy water to wash, rinse well and dry...that's it!

WARNING: handle blades with care....they are extremely sharp! You can also expect to replace your blades at some point during the lifetime of your Benriner, because inevitably they will become dull. Replacement blades are available on quite a few websites (do you're homework because I can't list them here) I've seen the complete set listed for approximately fourteen dollars. I agree with those who say this item is pricey and compared to the numerous poorly made spiral slicers on the market today, it certainly is. However, because of the level of reliability that you get with the Benriner its well worth every penny! Just be sure to shop around when purchasing your Benriner Cook Help, or Benriner Cook's Helper or Benriner Asian Spiral Slicer, to make sure that you're getting the best price available.

PLEASE NOTE: I am a paying customer not a employee, lobbyist or representative of any company whose products I've reviewed. I write enthusiastic and hopefully informative reviews in an effort to help fellow online shoppers make more informed buying decisions, or in avoiding similar frustrations that I've experienced when shopping on online.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nifty, but check out other models, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
Even though this item is more lightweight than I expected it to be, it is made of sturdy extruded plastic and has done a really nice job on cucumbers and zucchini so far. I have made ribbons and also vegetable noodles and they have turned out very well. It is easy to clean as long as you rinse it just after using. I barely even dry mine before I put in back in the pantry. The blades are very sharp so the turning of the handle is pretty effortless. The three detachable blades it comes with fit perfectly into an empty prescription pill bottle, so that is how I am storing them in my kitchen drawer. They are very sharp, so you do need to put them into something rather than having them loose in a drawer. The only thing I don't like about this slicer, and it's something I knew before I bought it, is that the seeds of the vegetable are sliced in with everything. One other spiral slicer I've seen leaves the core of the seeds. It's something I would have preferred, but that model was on backorder. This is a nifty kitchen gadget that adds unique texture to vegetables so they seem different than the same old slice, chop, or dice. Would recommend.
UPDATE AFTER RECEIVING WORLD CUISINE SPIRAL SLICER - I have to say the newer slicer I received kind of puts this model to shame. I will probably wind up giving this one to a friend. The World Cuisine Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer is easier to use and stays in place better on the counter because it has a larger footprint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm!, August 20, 2005
My wife wanted to be able to make spaghetti-thin strands of carrot, beet and other vegetables, to add to salads and soups. This thing fits the bill perfectly, and works like a charm. The only caution is that it is difficult to figure out how to use it from the instructions, which are in Japanese with a hit-and-miss (and sometimes humorous) English translation. Once I got it working, though, it was fast and easy to shred and slice vegetables, and fast and easy to clean. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, September 17, 2011
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
I love this veggie slicer! When I first looked at buying one, I couldn't decide between this one and one of the less expensive brands, but ultimately, I decided to get this one for two different reasons: 1) it is smaller than the Spirooli and I have a small kitchen, so space is an issue and 2) it makes FOUR different types of "noodles" - ribbon, angel hair, spaghetti and fettuccine. I wasn't so sure I wanted to spend the extra money on it as it is a little more expensive than the other brands, but I also wanted it to last. I planned on making it a regular feature in my kitchen instead of just something I used once in a while. And it is so worth the money! This little device works like a charm. I have used it on zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes (several varieties), onions, jicama, rutabaga, and I plan on trying it on fruits in the near future. It is true that the veggies should be relatively straight, but the size doesn't completely matter because I have used thinner zucchini and larger, more rotund rutabagas and had great success. It also helps if the veggies are a bit more on the firm side, rather than soft, as this will affect the texture of the "pasta", but it is still tasty no matter what. This is a great way to eat more raw foods or even change the texture and variety of the cooked foods you are eating because you can make the "noodles" and then cook them if you want something more substantial than regular wheat or rice pasta. This is a really fun device, works great and is very well made. Very sturdy, very sharp, and easy to use. I also highly recommend watching a couple of YouTube videos by John from discountjuicers.com to help you decide which spiralizer you want to get. (FYI: it is cheaper on amazon, but the videos are incredibly helpful because the Benriner is from Japan and the instructions aren't that great)

4.0 out of 5 stars Zucchini pasta! Here are a few tips..., May 20, 2011
Snowcrane (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
When I first used this slicer for zucchini pasta, I was so disappointed... I got angel-hair pasta as promised, but the seeds made a gloppy mess that mixed in with it. The noodles looked unusable. I wished I had bought the World Cuisine Spiral Slicer instead, but my budget wouldn't flex enough to let me get two slicers in such a short amount of time. What to do, what to do...

I experimented a little more and found that:

- For zucchini noodles, the biggest blade is the best
- Core about half of the seeds out of the bottom of your zucchini. Don't core the top or your spiral slicer will have nothing to grab onto. You will still get some seed mush, but far less than if you don't core.
- Make sure that only the tines of the blade are sticking up, or the pasta doesn't make spirals.
- Sometimes I peel the zucchini before I spiral it, sometimes I leave the skin on. It doesn't seem to make a difference in how the machine works, or much of a difference in taste.
- If you are going to heat your dish, heat the sauce, not the noodles. Heating the noodles makes them slimy!

The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is because of the trial-and-error needed for learning how to use the machine. You will get a really cute Engrish manual, but I almost gave this away the first day I had it because of the learning curve. Better instructions would help the folks on this side of the sea... I'm betting that's not the company's first priority. But oh well.

Enjoy your pasta!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets the requirements, November 17, 2005
For plastic, against which I'm prejudiced, this seems a fairly sturdy gadget, lightweight as all plastic goods are, but not going to fall apart anytime soon unless your tyke gets ahold of it (inadvisable). There may be a touch of brains in using plastic instead of metal or wood - why? Because acidic juices leaking and squirting from the vegetables would very likely eat away at a metal or wood apparatus - theoretically - and plastic - again theoretically - can endure. More likely? Plastic's cheaper, and the manufacturers mass-produce this product at a cost of twenty-five cents, marking it up 16,800%. However, you can't find this anywhere cheaper than Amazon, as far as I know.

Safer than a mandolin. You have to be careful when you change the blades (duh!), but where is that not true? Makes beautiful ribbons of vegetables. No real competition to speak of. Buy it if you need it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thin noodles - but takes too much effort, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
Although this makes excellent thin noodles, I was very surprised that:
a) the Benriner technique of press-down-while-turning the handle put more strain on my lower back than the push-sideways-while-turning technique of the Paderno Spiralizer.
b) the Benriner does not remove the seeds of squash/cucumber, which I thought would be a bonus - instead it makes the end results too mushy for my recipes.
c) I found clean-up to be just OK, due to the inconvenience of having to unscrew the blade to clean it, then re-screw the blade back in for the next use.
d) because of its size, this could be a very good travel spiralizer, but not an everyday one for me, as I need a spiralizer which speedily produces a lot of product, with quick clean-up.
Bottom line: I went with the Paderno World Cuisine Spiralizer, and am VERY happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Truly Reliable Spiral Slicer!, March 11, 2005
The Benriner Cook Help made in Japan. Finally a reliable spiral slicer which offers true versatility and durability made of ABS and Nylon reinforced resin this spiral slicer is here to stay! Just crank and churn giving you the option of cutting continuous strings, strips or curly strands with four different blades to choose from (1) Flat edged blade, and (3) Tooth edged blades, Coarse, Medium and Fine. This is all you'll need to get you're creative juices flowing allowing you to create beautiful salads, elegant garnishes and main courses if you eat raw. The famous Spaghetti type strands that everyone longs for using yellow squash and Zucchini turn into beautiful replicas of their wheat counterpart. Want to experienment with super thin slices of cucumbers, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper and onions go right ahead because you can't go wrong they'll turn out beautifully each and every time. Cleaning is a snap just use soapy water, rinse well, then dry. Handle with care because the blades are extremely sharp! Also expect to replace your blades after a period of time because they will become dull. Replacement blades are available on quite a few sites I've seen the complete set for around fourteen dollars. Though this item is on the high end it is well worth every penny. Please make sure you shop around when purchasing your Benriner Cook Help, or Benriner Cooks Helper or Benriner Asian Spiral Slicer, to make sure you're getting the best price available!

3.0 out of 5 stars so so quality, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Benriner Cook Helper Slicer (Kitchen)
Kind of flimsy for the price- works well with larger vegies so so with small easy to clean- feels like it is going to break when you are pushing down on the handle- does make a nice garnish though

Benriner Cook Helper Slicer