Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

I had been eyeing this attractive Berard salt keeper for quite some time. There are plenty of other more reasonably priced options on Amazon, but this is the only one I really wanted. Finding myself with some gifted birthday money, I made the purchase.

Made from beautifully finished olive wood, the salt keeper stands about 3 inches tall and holds about a 1/2 cup. The lid snaps into place magnetically, and smoothly swivels with the use of one hand.

The swivel is a simple screw. Opening and closing the lid requires opening in one direction and closing in reverse. Otherwise one could over tighten and damage the lid. Alternatively the lid can be removed by screwing off in the other direction. I expected something more technical, but the screw system works well.

Since these salt keepers are made from olive wood, each one has its own appearance. The one I received came as described and looks just as attractive as the one pictured. Obviously the grain pattern is different though.

If you're like me, you'll find the price of this item is steep. If it weren't for the birthday cash, I probably would have just left this in my wish list. However I am glad I made the purchase. The Berard handcrafted salt keeper is an attractive addition to my cooking station. If you can justify the price, you'll enjoy it too.

Solid olive wood
One handed lid control
Holds 1/2 cup

on May 2, 2013
I received this product as a wedding shower present, after finding the "same" at Sur la Table. It was no where near as high of quality, or as beautiful. The magnet was weak, the lid was warped. It was a huge disappointment. Luckily, we could return it and buy the Sur La Table one. Don't try to save money, it's not worth it!
on July 3, 2013
I ordered 9 of these for gifts, returned 5 for significant imperfections - gaps between top and bottom, gouges, etc.. I then bought them at a brick and mortar store where they were same manufacturer but significantly nicer. When you get a good one, they are gorgeous!
on January 26, 2013
I am returning a second one of these as it has a know with gauges and splits. I have seen these beautiful Berard Olive wood salt keepers in kitchen stores and never seen one that was flawed. However, this is my second order through Amazon (Amazon Prime supploer) and both were flawed, I assume factory rejects, yet these are being sold at full price. I am now very sorry I wasted my time ordering these and having to return, but happy for the great Amazon Prime return option.
on April 9, 2013
Some had missing chunks of wood, others were rough and splintery. Very poor quality.
I would definitely not recommend. Thanks.
on July 27, 2013
This was a splurge purchase for me and so well worth it! I like keeping kosher salt close to my cook top and have been using a box for years. That has its downsides. Fill a measuring spoon and, for sure, some will spill over. Or, do the Rachael Ray palm thing and pray that your palm isn't damp. Oh, and the box takes up quite a bit of space. Frustrated with the box idea, I started pouring the salt in a Pyrex dish so I could pinch it or scoop it... Nice, but, shoot, the salt was vulnerable to dust and anything else floating in the air, like splattering grease from a nearby cooking adventure. I found the Berard French Olive-Wood Salt Keeper on Amazon, via their recommendations, while looking for another cooking utensil. It's made of beautiful wood and looks great on my counter. The magnetic closure works well while not making it at all difficult to open the box. I can grab a teaspoon or a pinch with ease. And the salt is protected from surrounding activities. Beautiful and functional piece!
on December 27, 2012
i have purchased this item once before, about 18 months ago
it's a good size and the lid magnet is strong.
the quality of the one i recently purchased was not as good as the first.
the lid didn't fit well and had a fairly noticeable gap.
on May 20, 2011
The Berard 90070 French Olive Wood Salt Keeper is absolutely beautiful. Opening the lid by the swivel mechanism is an easy, one-handed, smooth movement. It swivels both clockwise and counter-clockwise. The wood is beautiful and looks elegant on my Venetian gold granite counter. Never thought I'd call a salt cellar "elegant". It is almost art. I researched other olivewood salt keepers. The Williams Sonoma keeper (same price as the Berard 90070, about $50) is made in Tunisia, and reviews on the WS website indicate their swivel lid does not quite fit level with the bowl leaving a slight but noticeable gap. The Berard's lid is perfectly level with no gap, AND it is made in France BY HAND! If you appreciate a fine, elegant, and useful kitchen addition created from beautiful olivewood by an artisan, this is the salt keeper for you. Berard 90070 French Olive-Wood Handcrafted Salt Keeper
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2013
Let me start off by saying that I have seen and felt this salt keeper (as it is shown) in stores, and it is just as beautiful as pictured and super smooth to the touch. This is not, however, what I received. If you look at the picture - notice the rounded edges on both the lid and the container. The one I received has sharp edges on both pieces, which may not seem like a big deal, but having seen the pictured one and comparing it to what I received, it is. Also the alignment of the lid to the box is uneven (lid sits tilted). Don't get me wrong - I'm not giving this a 1-star review because they sent me the wrong item - they sent me the correct item, but this gets 1-star because the quality has gone down considerably, and even the design has been sacrificed. Will post a pic so you can see what you'll likely receive if you order it. It's too bad... the salt keeper pictured is truly a beautiful item and worth the pricey cost - but looks like they've made changes at the manufacturing end.
review image review image
on March 25, 2015
I will say the customer service was favorable; the one I received was not well-made-big gap between the top and bottom, the grain did not line up, so I found the same item at sur la table ( and I did have to pick out one with the nicest grain), contacted the seller, who refunded my money when I sent pictures of the unsatisfactory product. However,mi would not purchase this again online; too much variability between each one to rely on chance!