4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly perfumed, otherwise great newborn-like doll
Published on December 29, 2010 by HeatherHH

Published on May 26, 2011 by Mommy

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly perfumed, otherwise great newborn-like doll, December 29, 2010
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
We are a family of six children, ages 9 years down to a baby. My daughters love baby dolls, and they take care of them just like a real baby, with the experience to know exactly what that should be like! When I first saw this doll, I was sure it would be adored as it's modeled to look like a real newborn. So, when my 5-year-old needed a new doll for Christmas, as her old one was falling apart, this is what I bought.

This is definitely a very realistic, newborn-like baby doll. It's on a slightly smaller scale, 14" curled up, but the doll is properly proportioned. There are all the appropriate creases and folds, the backbone visible, etc, but the relatively standard non-gender specific features. The posture is that of a newborn baby, curled up. This is a huge plus for my daughters (the 7 yo and 3 1/2 yo like to play with it too).

However, it does differ in some ways from many babydolls. The legs, as mentioned, are curled up like a newborns, and they are not moveable. This doll stays curled up like a baby and can not be stood up to pretend it's an older child or grown-up. Also, the eyes are permanently open; there are no lids.

The big negative for me is that the doll has been perfumed, presumably to smell like a newborn baby. I never use baby powder or scented stuff on my babies, so my babies don't smell perfumed. But even the perfumed babies I've smelled have had a much milder smell than this. When I opened the box, I could immediately smell the scent. I've since washed the baby doll several times with soap and water, as well as handwashing the clothes, and the smell is still there. It's possible it will wear off some with future use, but the doll has been played with for a week, and I can still tell when the baby comes near. The smell might be less bothersome to someone else, as I tend to avoid scented items, but still it is very noticeable. My daughters aren't bothered by the smell, but they can't bring it near me, because it does bother me. NOTE: After almost 1 year of use, the smell has not faded one bit.)

The clothes that came with this doll seem durable enough, though there is a caution to only handwash the diaper and not to wring it dry. Additional clothes for this doll don't seem to be easy to find. It will not fit in standard 14" doll clothes because of being thicker around the torso and curled up. We bought size preemie sleepers, and they're slightly big, but no bigger than a newborn's clothes often are on him/her.

Still, on the whole, I like this baby doll. It's a nice realistic-looking newborn, which is perfect in my family where the children are very used to having baby siblings. It's very educational and lends itself well to pretending to be a mother/father. My main caution is about the fact that the doll is strongly scented, and I would caution against buying it if anyone in your household is sensitive to scents and perfumes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Facial Expression may NOT be the same if you mind this!, May 19, 2011
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
OK... I just got this baby doll. This is no where in this listing/ pictures showing that you might get the baby doll of a DIFFERENT facial expression. But the one I got is NOT the same as the picture!

I knew there are 2 facial expressions of this doll since I saw it on the JC Toys website. HOWEVER, in this listing, it only shows ONE facial expression! So I thought I was getting the "smiling" one. BUT NO, it turned out the one I got is the one without the smile but an open mouth.

Well I think Amazon should at least tell us which one we're getting, or they should show the picture of the one with a different facial expression so we know we may be getting either one.

I am still keeping this doll as I think it actually looks even more realistic than the smiley one. But for some people, this may be a big deal. So I'd like to tell you this with this review. If you want to see what the other facial expression looks like, you may want to go to the JC Toys website to check it out.

On the good side, as I said, this is a really realistic baby doll! I like the soft vinyl and the cuddling post. Very cute doll!

4.0 out of 5 stars NO SMELL, October 4, 2012
Irishlawlass (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I was looking at this doll on Amazon for a while and debating about getting it for my 3 and a 1/2 year-old because of the negative reviews about the heavy perfume smell and also because no seller on here can guarantee the facial expression you want. So, I decided not to buy it. Then I came across about 8 of them on the shelf at the local toy store with the giraffe as the mascot. They had the smiling face doll which is the one everybody pretty much wants and nobody gets when they order online. I even contacted the sellers on here to ask if they could sell me a smiling one and I got some very pointed "no"'s. I grabbed it and took a good look at it and then put my nose right ON the baby and inhaled deeply. Nothing. No smell whatsoever aside from the expected slight plastic toy smell. I stood there probably looking like some kind of total weirdo sniffing this baby doll again and again and then sniffing the other dolls while keeping an eye out for store security to ask me to leave for such strange behavior. No smell on the dolls. My theory is that if you buy the doll from a store, where it has been sitting open with air circulating around it for weeks or months, it loses that perfume smell. When it's crated with 40 other dolls and not exposed to air circulation, the smell likely intensifies and saturates the dolls. So if the scent is an issue for you, then try getting it where the giraffe shops -- ehem -- or buy it in advance and let it sit out somewhere to lose the scent. Plus, at the giraffe joint it was just twenty-two big ones and not thirty-one to fifty like they're asking here. Just sayin' is all.. Also, it's a disappointment that the legs don't move. No idea why the manufacturer would cheap up on the leg joints but they did. Still, when you are expecting a newborn and you want your 3 year-old to share a little in the experience, this is a great option for a doll Christmas morning.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes but it is offensively smelly - no one wants to be near it, May 26, 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I had high hopes for this considering the brand name. It does resemble a newborn with a wrinkly body, stick out belly button, newborn hospital bracelet, facial expression, super fine appearance of hair (painted on, not real), body positions, and weight of doll. My daughter was really excited when she saw it - but open the box up and get a huge unpleasant surprise! This thing is not lightly scented - it is scented with an overpowering great-grandma old perfume kind of smell. How a doll designer decided this was a good scent for a newborn doll is a big mystery. Anything this doll touches, no matter how brief, gets left with the scent on it, including my daughter. I left the doll up in her room and later went upstairs and could smell it from the stairs. During a nap, my daughter wanted it in her crib - she and her entire crib smelled of the scent. I had to take everything out and launder it. My daughter no longer will play with it. My husband finds its appearance "freaky" and does not like it at all. The arms and legs are very stiff making changing the doll really difficult and the clothing that comes with it is unimpressive. I don't think this is really intended as a toy doll for a child but the price indicated to me that it was. It's not nice to hold, look at or play with or have in your house, unless you like how it smells.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty baby doll., April 28, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
It arrived very quickly and my daughter loves it, so how does it get better than that? A+++ I highly recommend for the 18-24 months age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly adorable, March 25, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I love this doll. Ok, I don't particularly love dolls, but I was very pleased to give this to my daughter! The baby is very lifelike and has the most adorable little smile. She is not at all creepy like a lot of other baby dolls are. I even took my picture of my daughter holding her toward the end of my second pregnancy and people thought I had had the baby! That's how realistic she is! :) I have also seen other dolls from this company and like them a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real As Can Be!, February 12, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
This baby is oh-so-real and what a beautiful little face.....we love it. Perfect for the expectant sister-to-be----even comes with clothes! Perfect! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait for Christmas morning!, November 1, 2010
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I love the doll and can't wait for my "dd" to see her Christmas morning. I purchased the open mouthed one from another site. I'm coming here to order the grinning one so she can have twins. There are several places you can order from so look around... if your are not picky on the face style check the Christmas Distributing sites/catalogs. It will be listed as La Newborn real life Doll/or Babies gift set. If ordering from those sites and most eBay sellers (it will come in a small white box).

I attempted to order this doll from the [...] site because the baby w/the grinning face was not available on amazon at the time. [...] is shipping the wrong doll so buyer beware, I placed two orders and both times I was shipped the open mouthed doll not listed on the site. The customer service is out sourced so it is very difficult to return and replace the order it took a call to corp to correct the miscomunication. The review portion of their site does not work so I thought this might be helpful to those of you who are shopping around.

She is scented but it is more of a tea rose smell than baby powder.
Preemie clothes fit but rather loosely, and it is rather difficult to put clothes on her so you will want the extra room. Try preemie diapers to make sleepers fit (zippered fleece works better)and thick socks to fill out the feet.
This is a Non-gender specific doll but very life like, the skin has a soft/silky feel but over all it's a semi firm vinyl body probably a little pokie to sleep with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would rate 5 stars if it was less than $27 like I can get at Sears, August 22, 2010
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
This looks like it would cost 45 dollars and it is a wonderful fit for my 4 and 5 year old girls. It is realistic and comes with lots of great clothes. The only surprise I have is that I purchased this at my local Sears store for under $25 and I usually find things cheaper on Amazon. They sell it at Sears online for $27. Hmm. . . However, it is still a great price and I would recommend highly. This is the first doll my girls have liked (other than polly pockets and barbies).

5.0 out of 5 stars well loved, January 28, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
My Grand daughter aged 2 just loves this doll and has it with her all the time, a nice toy

JC Toys La Newborn