4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly perfumed, otherwise great newborn-like doll
Published on December 29, 2010 by HeatherHH

Published on May 26, 2011 by Mommy

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly perfumed, otherwise great newborn-like doll, December 29, 2010
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
We are a family of six children, ages 9 years down to a baby. My daughters love baby dolls, and they take care of them just like a real baby, with the experience to know exactly what that should be like! When I first saw this doll, I was sure it would be adored as it's modeled to look like a real newborn. So, when my 5-year-old needed a new doll for Christmas, as her old one was falling apart, this is what I bought.

This is definitely a very realistic, newborn-like baby doll. It's on a slightly smaller scale, 14" curled up, but the doll is properly proportioned. There are all the appropriate creases and folds, the backbone visible, etc, but the relatively standard non-gender specific features. The posture is that of a newborn baby, curled up. This is a huge plus for my daughters (the 7 yo and 3 1/2 yo like to play with it too).

However, it does differ in some ways from many babydolls. The legs, as mentioned, are curled up like a newborns, and they are not moveable. This doll stays curled up like a baby and can not be stood up to pretend it's an older child or grown-up. Also, the eyes are permanently open; there are no lids.

The big negative for me is that the doll has been perfumed, presumably to smell like a newborn baby. I never use baby powder or scented stuff on my babies, so my babies don't smell perfumed. But even the perfumed babies I've smelled have had a much milder smell than this. When I opened the box, I could immediately smell the scent. I've since washed the baby doll several times with soap and water, as well as handwashing the clothes, and the smell is still there. It's possible it will wear off some with future use, but the doll has been played with for a week, and I can still tell when the baby comes near. The smell might be less bothersome to someone else, as I tend to avoid scented items, but still it is very noticeable. My daughters aren't bothered by the smell, but they can't bring it near me, because it does bother me. NOTE: After almost 1 year of use, the smell has not faded one bit.)

The clothes that came with this doll seem durable enough, though there is a caution to only handwash the diaper and not to wring it dry. Additional clothes for this doll don't seem to be easy to find. It will not fit in standard 14" doll clothes because of being thicker around the torso and curled up. We bought size preemie sleepers, and they're slightly big, but no bigger than a newborn's clothes often are on him/her.

Still, on the whole, I like this baby doll. It's a nice realistic-looking newborn, which is perfect in my family where the children are very used to having baby siblings. It's very educational and lends itself well to pretending to be a mother/father. My main caution is about the fact that the doll is strongly scented, and I would caution against buying it if anyone in your household is sensitive to scents and perfumes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Facial Expression may NOT be the same if you mind this!, May 19, 2011
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
OK... I just got this baby doll. This is no where in this listing/ pictures showing that you might get the baby doll of a DIFFERENT facial expression. But the one I got is NOT the same as the picture!

I knew there are 2 facial expressions of this doll since I saw it on the JC Toys website. HOWEVER, in this listing, it only shows ONE facial expression! So I thought I was getting the "smiling" one. BUT NO, it turned out the one I got is the one without the smile but an open mouth.

Well I think Amazon should at least tell us which one we're getting, or they should show the picture of the one with a different facial expression so we know we may be getting either one.

I am still keeping this doll as I think it actually looks even more realistic than the smiley one. But for some people, this may be a big deal. So I'd like to tell you this with this review. If you want to see what the other facial expression looks like, you may want to go to the JC Toys website to check it out.

On the good side, as I said, this is a really realistic baby doll! I like the soft vinyl and the cuddling post. Very cute doll!

4.0 out of 5 stars NO SMELL, October 4, 2012
Irishlawlass (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I was looking at this doll on Amazon for a while and debating about getting it for my 3 and a 1/2 year-old because of the negative reviews about the heavy perfume smell and also because no seller on here can guarantee the facial expression you want. So, I decided not to buy it. Then I came across about 8 of them on the shelf at the local toy store with the giraffe as the mascot. They had the smiling face doll which is the one everybody pretty much wants and nobody gets when they order online. I even contacted the sellers on here to ask if they could sell me a smiling one and I got some very pointed "no"'s. I grabbed it and took a good look at it and then put my nose right ON the baby and inhaled deeply. Nothing. No smell whatsoever aside from the expected slight plastic toy smell. I stood there probably looking like some kind of total weirdo sniffing this baby doll again and again and then sniffing the other dolls while keeping an eye out for store security to ask me to leave for such strange behavior. No smell on the dolls. My theory is that if you buy the doll from a store, where it has been sitting open with air circulating around it for weeks or months, it loses that perfume smell. When it's crated with 40 other dolls and not exposed to air circulation, the smell likely intensifies and saturates the dolls. So if the scent is an issue for you, then try getting it where the giraffe shops -- ehem -- or buy it in advance and let it sit out somewhere to lose the scent. Plus, at the giraffe joint it was just twenty-two big ones and not thirty-one to fifty like they're asking here. Just sayin' is all.. Also, it's a disappointment that the legs don't move. No idea why the manufacturer would cheap up on the leg joints but they did. Still, when you are expecting a newborn and you want your 3 year-old to share a little in the experience, this is a great option for a doll Christmas morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real As Can Be!, February 12, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
This baby is oh-so-real and what a beautiful little face.....we love it. Perfect for the expectant sister-to-be----even comes with clothes! Perfect! Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes but it is offensively smelly - no one wants to be near it, May 26, 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I had high hopes for this considering the brand name. It does resemble a newborn with a wrinkly body, stick out belly button, newborn hospital bracelet, facial expression, super fine appearance of hair (painted on, not real), body positions, and weight of doll. My daughter was really excited when she saw it - but open the box up and get a huge unpleasant surprise! This thing is not lightly scented - it is scented with an overpowering great-grandma old perfume kind of smell. How a doll designer decided this was a good scent for a newborn doll is a big mystery. Anything this doll touches, no matter how brief, gets left with the scent on it, including my daughter. I left the doll up in her room and later went upstairs and could smell it from the stairs. During a nap, my daughter wanted it in her crib - she and her entire crib smelled of the scent. I had to take everything out and launder it. My daughter no longer will play with it. My husband finds its appearance "freaky" and does not like it at all. The arms and legs are very stiff making changing the doll really difficult and the clothing that comes with it is unimpressive. I don't think this is really intended as a toy doll for a child but the price indicated to me that it was. It's not nice to hold, look at or play with or have in your house, unless you like how it smells.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best doll I've purchased., December 28, 2011
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I was a bit worried after purchasing it because people had commented that it had a strong smell and that I might get a different face on the doll.

My sister absolutely loved the doll! It doesn't smell like anything and I got the face in the picture.

I was a bit shocked by how realistic! It even has the leftover umbilical cord bandaged like a real newborn! It's wrinkled just like a newborn too.

It does seem durable, and it was really worth it. My only complaint was that it's smaller than I'd imagined it, but my sister loves her and that's all that matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars well loved, January 28, 2013
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
My Grand daughter aged 2 just loves this doll and has it with her all the time, a nice toy

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL baby doll, June 17, 2011
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
We bought this baby for my little girl(age 4) when we had our second baby to help with the transition of becoming a big sister. This baby of course comes with the pink outfits & is not anatomically correct(we didn't want it anatomically correct anyhow). My daughter was set on that fact she wanted a "boy baby"(meaning a baby wearing blue). We found a set of all blue clothes made for this baby on ebay(we just looked up "Berenguer clothes"). Anyhow, I do agree that this baby does come with a strong scent(like baby powder or roses), but being that we've had this baby for about 6 months now, the smell is pretty much gone. I can smell it if I purposely put my face to the doll & take a good whiff. My daughter LOVES this baby! She did not like baby dolls at all until she got this one. She will not go anywhere without this baby. The clothes are VERY durable & made to last. She took this baby to preschool with her everyday & we always washed the outfit every week. It has held up very well-no fading or tearing.I just have to caution you--This baby looks so real that we have had a lot of people stop us thinking we put a real baby in the bottom of the shopping cart or stroller because that's where my little girl puts the baby when she gets tired of carrying it around. The detailing on this baby is remarkable. It's face is the cutest baby doll face I've ever seen & that smile just makes you want to laugh. The legs, hands & feet are painted with realitic tinting & wrinkled in just the right places a newborn would be wrinkly. A lot of the Berenguer dolls are really goofy-looking & so are a lot of "newborn-looking" baby dolls, but this one is just cute!I think that was why we initially decided to get it for our daughter-I thought if she was going to like any baby doll-it would have to be one that looked cute!! We ordered an extra one to keep as a backup. A truly treasured toy at our house!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new big sister!, March 25, 2011
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
I bought this doll for my 3 year old who will soon be a big sister. I wanted a realistic newborn looking baby doll for her that she could care for while I was caring for the new baby. I love this doll and I know she will too. I especially like that it is all vinyl so it can be bathed and that it comes with clothes and diapers. I can't wait to give it to her at the hospital!

4.0 out of 5 stars Would rate 5 stars if it was less than $27 like I can get at Sears, August 22, 2010
This review is from: JC Toys La Newborn (Toy)
This looks like it would cost 45 dollars and it is a wonderful fit for my 4 and 5 year old girls. It is realistic and comes with lots of great clothes. The only surprise I have is that I purchased this at my local Sears store for under $25 and I usually find things cheaper on Amazon. They sell it at Sears online for $27. Hmm. . . However, it is still a great price and I would recommend highly. This is the first doll my girls have liked (other than polly pockets and barbies).

JC Toys La Newborn