Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 11, 2002
Most children are afraid of going to the doctor (well a lot of adults are, too, but for completely different reasons). When the word doctor is mentioned to kids images of needles, blood, bandages, and strange looking objects come to mind. Reading THE BERENSTAIN BEARS GO TO THE DOCTOR may help relieve some of the fears that children have when they know they are going to the doctor.
In the story, Brother and Sister Bear have to go to Dr. Gert Grizzly to have a checkup. Brother isn't too bothered by the whole thing, but Sister is a bit worried. The next day Sister is able to help out some frightened younger cubs while she is in the waiting room and sets an example for all the children to follow.
Overall, a delightful little book that helps relieve children's fears of going to the doctor and gives them a broader perspective about life.
22 comments14 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2006
This book was the favorite book for my young children (now grown) when we

were preparing for doctor visits. It is still beloved by my retarded son

who is now 31, and I have bought many copies for him through the years. It

covers all the important topics: anticipation (dread), waiting room, routine

exams, and possible shots. All of this is with pictures and words.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 1999
The berenstain Bears Go To The Doctor is a great book.I especially like how it has the cubs (brother and sister) going to the doctor for a check-up. They ended up not finding anything wrong with them and getting a shot anyway so they don't get sick. It turns out that papa, whose convises them that he never gets sick, gets sick. This is a really good book and fun to read. I would recommend this book to anyone.
One in the series, FIRST TIME BOOKS. These helped our young kids understand so much about everyday life. Even though the characters are bears, they mimic children in a regular human family. This is unlike the Dr. Seuss books, many of which have strange creatures, interesting but not always ones children can sympathize with.

"Take a deep breath,
Stick our your tongue.
Come see Doctor Grizzly
While you are young."

So it begins. Sister Bear is anxious, fearing that the visit will hurt. Of course, Papa bear finds occasion to brag, because he never gets sick! AH-CHOO! sneezes he as he drives the family to the doctor's. Brother Bear worries about getting shots. But Papa Bear assurs him it'll be nothing. So the kids get their shots--not problem.

But AH-CHOO! continues Papa Bear. And a neat and satisfying ending. Yep, my kids and I loved this story. AH--excuse me!--CHOO! Gotta take my medicine now.
on August 23, 2013
My daughter purchased this to go with the Doctor's Kit she also purchased. Our Granddaughter just turned three and aa a reward for learning all of letters and all of the sounds, she received both of these. She absolutely LOVED it. She brought it with her when visiting so she could "take care" of all of us including the pets. We all got checkups, had our blood pressure and temprature taken, received our shorts and just generally were told we were in great shape. The book helped her learn how all of the instruments in the case were used by the doctor. Great addition to go with the Doctors Kit or to help chlldren with their trips to the doctor.
on August 4, 2015
Overall, I'm very happy with this book, and the Bernstein Bears didn't let us down.

Pros: There are stickers in the front and back of the book. With our son, we've made a teeth brushing chart, and he gets a sticker on it after every brushing, with a little prise after each week. The book shows what your dentist office might look like, and some of the tools that might be used.

Cons: If your child is going to the dentist for the first time, you may or may not want another book. They use the word "yank", have a yanking tool to pull out teeth, and brother bear has a cavity and has to have it filled (but they skim over the real details of cavity fillings and are very light hearted about it all). My son enjoys this book, but I do "re-write" some of the book as I read it, to make sure my sons not scared of his first upcoming visit.

I really like this book and the cute stickers that come with it, it's more than worth the price. If I had to choose again though, I might have waited to get this book for later, and gotten another book to prep my son for his first visit.
on December 14, 2005
The world lost a real gem of a writer when Stan Berenstain passed on November 29. Together, Berenstain and his wife, Jan, and eventually their two sons, created books featuring lovable but flawed characters who tackle just about every real issue that faces families.

All kids have fears of the doctor, and why shouldn't they? Most doctor's visits for young kids involve lots of uncomfortable poking and prodding, and, more often than not, shots. Yikes! However, going to the doctor is still necessary, we all have to do it. This book will help open a dialogue to let your child discuss their fears, and let you discuss why visiting the doctor is so important. Kids will enjoy the gentle humor and honest portrayal of a doctor's visit (yep, Sister Bear has to get a shot!) and the consequences when you don't go to the doctor (Papa gets sick). A great conversation starter!
11 comment2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2014
My granddaughter and I really enjoyed this Berenstain Bears book. It's one of the original stories with Brother and Sister (before Honey and the more 'modern' stuff). Mama tells the kids they are going to see the doctor for a check up they are scared and unsure...but the story take a child on a trip with the Bear kids and find out that visiting the doctor isn't a bad thing and they are for your well being... and that shots are good things and explains a little about 'why' you should get booster shots etc (so for those that don't believe in shots for children this book isn't one for you) but my granddaughter and I enjoyed it.
on December 13, 2015
We have this book and I've purchased twice now as a gift. I include with a doctors kit as a gift for a three year old, both times a hit.

It very simply goes through what will will happen during a check up- and my boys copy it and play doctor using things they learned in the book as well as the real experiences.

It talks about shots, I think it addresses them well.
on August 8, 2014
As always Berenstain books are great. My granddaughter loves all Berenstain books and this one is no exception. When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said she wanted every Berenstain book that she didn't already have. Couldn't do quite that much but I did purchase several to help her complete her collection!