5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching book for all libraries!
Published on December 28, 2005 by boxwood100

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Junk Food
This, like all other Berenstain Bears books, teaches a valuable lesson about eating healthy. It's a great story to inspire your child to eat healthy.
Published on October 31, 2002 by Kati Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching book for all libraries!, December 28, 2005
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
This is a cute book even without a message attached to it and it makes my little one laugh every time we read it. Dealing with eating too much candy and junk food is the subject and it starts with mama seeing that her cubs were eating all the time and getting quite chubby. So, after running into the family doctor at the grocery store, the bear family gets to see a slide show on the body and how it works. Plus, they learn the importance of eating good food and not the junk. The best part is something that all of us have difficulty doing. Mama bear throws out all the junk food in the house (actually, she puts it in the freezer) and provides only healthy snacks like carrot sticks, nuts and raisins. We've even tried this and believe me, it works. There's now a preference over candy for nuts and raisins (especially the yogurt ones!) and candy, well, it's just not that prevalent anymore. I highly recommend this one - it will stick with your children for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teaching children about healthy foods, October 7, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
The book not only stresses eating healthy foods, but why our bodies need healthy foods. Book also gives a brief description of the body's different systems, digestive, skeletel, etc. Book finishes with the importance of exercise. Book stresses this lifestyle for children as well as adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, December 14, 2005
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
The world lost a real gem of a writer when Stan Berenstain passed on November 29. Together, Berenstain and his wife, Jan, and eventually their two sons, created books featuring lovable but flawed characters who tackle just about every real issue that faces families.

This book is no exception. Most people, especially kids, have a tendency to overindulge when it comes to junk food. This book shows that eating healthy is a lifelong pursuit (Papa Bear has the same troubles that the kids have). It's not intended as a primer on nutrition or exercize habits, but rather as a fictional story intended to promote conversations among families about healthy lifestyles. And for what it is, it's wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Junk Food, October 31, 2002
Kati Lane (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
It all starts when Mama bear notices her cub are getting a bit chubby. So she takes all of the junk food in their house and locks it in the freezer. Well Papa bear wasn't too happy about this but he went along with it anyways. The next day the bears go to the grocery store. Mama Bear passes all the junk food and heads straight for the healthy food. At the checkout counter they run into their family doctor who tells them to stop by the next day. When they get there she shows them a slide show of how the body works and how much it needs healthy food. She also tells them to exercise.
This is a great story for kids who have a sweet tooth. It will show them that some healthy foods are good too. Also it can teach them that its good to have healthy food most of the time but a little snack is good here and there. Also it shows that exercise pays off, because in the end the bears are the only family to complete the Bear Country Marathon. I recommend this book to anyone. It's a great story and teaches a very valuable lesson. I am almost positive that you and your child will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little one loves this book, July 15, 2007
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
I am not a huge fan of this book, but my daughter LOVES it, so I am giving it 5 stars. She refused to try a sticky bun tonight because 'it's junk food', so I appreciate that (we mostly eat healthy around here). I just hope that she never points at anyone out in public and says something like "they eat way too much junk food".

5.0 out of 5 stars books, March 14, 2014
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
Books, you can never have too many books. Especially in a school setting. School, classroom and home.....the more the better

4.0 out of 5 stars They need an adult version of this book!, November 29, 2011
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives.

I really liked how in this book, we see the poppa bear dieting too. That way kids sort of see that parents can use motivation, too. Considering the growing waistline of the USA, maybe this book wasn't popular enough, haha!

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible message, November 13, 2011
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
I am such a huge fan of these books and movies but i tossed this one in the trash! it has the worst message ever. rather than talking about how healthy food gives you more energy and to enjoy everything in moderation it taks about the cubs being fat and that is the reason they should eat better. So far this is the only bear book i have absolutely hated. total disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Sweet Childhood Memories Surround This...:), November 2, 2010
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
My father used to read the Berenstain Bears books to me all the time when I was little, and this was one of our favorites, along with "Get the Gimmes," "Meet Santa Bear" and "Too Much Teasing." I think that making this particular TBB book a must - read was a conscious decision on my father's part, since he has always been very much in favor of healthy life choices and exercising moderation when it comes to junk food! I have to say I really cannot understand the complaints that other customers have raised about these books, bcuz I never took anything bad away from them - indeed, I plan to share these books with my future children!

I never really thought about this until I read another customer's review...it does indeed seem odd that Mama Bear would announce that all the junk food is going in the freezer section of the fridge. I mean, if I'd been in that situation as a little kid, my reaction to that would have been, "Hey, thanks, mom! Now all I need is one of the kitchen chairs and a stack of phone books to get my goodies back!" LOL!

Oh, and about other customer's concerns about the fact that Papa Bear often behaves as immaturely as the cubs and never backs Mama Bear up - I'd recommend that you not be so quick to condemn that aspect of the series, bcuz there are some kids whose family dynamics resemble that...my family was one of them, LOL (my dad and I made a pretty good team, LOL)! So, for me, it just made the TBB books all the more relate - able! :)Not only that, but I also thought it was great fun to watch Papa Bear split the seat of his pants when he bends down to grab his bag of sweets...LOL!

All in all, this another great TBB book in a long line of other ones, and I'd recommend it to anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, March 16, 2008
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food (Paperback)
My dad used to read this book to me so I bought it to read to my daughter. It teaches a good lesson about candy consumption. I love these books!

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food by Stan Berenstain (Paperback - March 12, 1985)
$3.99