5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and a Bit Educational
If you want to give your kids a taste of the basic Thanksgiving history, The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks by Jan and Mike Berenstain is a fun choice.

Published on October 3, 2009 by Kristina Seleshanko

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for kindle better in print
I am a fan of the berenstain bears books. The lessons they teach are great for kids. This one is able to teach the story about the pilgrims and thanksgiving in a way that will keep a child engaged. There are small pictures for each page which I know my little one really enjoys. However, I do think Berenstain Bears' books, at least for the toddlers, are best enjoyed in...
Published 20 months ago by kookaburra

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and a Bit Educational, October 3, 2009

In this new title, the familiar Berenstain bear family delivers some hand made furniture to some friends on a farm. For payment, the family gives Papa some produce - and a fat turkey called Squanto (named, we learn, after the famous "Native Bear" who helped the Pilgrims plant their corn). Papa's mouth is already watering, imagining the turkey complimenting his Thanksgiving dinner, but Sister bear is horrified. Squanto is much too handsome to eat. Besides, she's "never met her Thanksgiving dinner before." She wants to keep Squanto as a pet, but Papa bear isn't convinced.

Trying to distract Sister's mind, Mama suggests Sister and Brother put on a Thanksgiving play for all the relatives. Mama volunteers to sew costumes if Sister will write the script. This does keep Sister's mind off Squanto, and soon Sister, Brother, and their cousins are putting on a fine Thanksgiving show offering the very basics about the Pilgrims and their desire to worship God freely, the Mayflower, and Squanto.

However, when Mama calls "Dinnertime!", Sister suddenly remembers Squanto. But she's relieved when Papa points out the window at the pen he's made for the family's new pet: the turkey Squanto. A fine salmon is the center of the family's Thanksgiving dinner and when prayers of thanksgiving to God go round, Sister adds, "And I am especially thankful for my wonderful new pet, Squanto to the turkey!" "AMEN!" everyone cries.

The last page of the book offers a few conversation-starting questions and project ideas about giving thanks and the Thanksgiving holiday.

What I Like: My four year old loves the Berenstain bear books, and this title is no exception. It's a fun reminder of the basics of why we celebrate Thanksgiving: to remember an important part of history and to thank God for all he gives us. The Christian content in this book is, in my opinion, just right. It is neither an afterthought, nor does it get in the way of the story or become preachy. I'm also pretty picky about books that show kids upset about eating animals; I want my children to have a what I consider a natural attitude about animals being designed for us to eat. However, I do not find this book provokes my preschooler to question eating meat.

What I Dislike: The questions and projects page could be better, but the story itself is a big hit in my household.

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Kristina Seleshanko
Managing Editor
Christian Children's Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Berenstain Bears books are a favorite in our house!, April 19, 2010
I haven't met a Berenstain Bears book that I didn't like, and this makes a nice addition to your collection of kids books. I love the Christian values that are reinforced! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story, December 28, 2012
Our 3 year old loves every BB books we read to her. Amazingly enough she usually retains the moral of the story and repeats in in every day life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanksgiving Book, December 20, 2013
I love adding to my collection of Thanksgiving books to use with my Kindergarten and !st grade classes in which I sub. "Giving thanks" has become antiquated and with Christmas just around the corner I hope to install in the little ones a spirit of thanksgiving for all they have now and for what they may receive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, December 5, 2013
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights) (Kindle Edition)
I love reading all of the Berenstain books to my children! They read this book often but mostly at Thanksgiving time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks, November 26, 2013
I love the Berenstain Bears books--I collect them--my children enjoyed them as do my grandchildren do now!!! THey teach and entertain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, great life lesson, November 12, 2013
This is such a cute and good book that teaches a valuable lesson to kids in just the right way! My 4 year old son and 6 year old daughter listened intently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for thanksgiving, November 6, 2013
My 3 year old loved this book! It kept her attention and was a great way to give a simple explanation of thanksgiving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanksgiving with the Bear Family, October 23, 2013
This book is about the Bear Family celebrating Thanksgiving, to give thanks, and how Brother, Sister, and Honey perform a play about the 1st Thanksgiving.

In conclusion, this is the perfect book to read to young children about Thanksgiving and to give thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Thanks has a cute story line., August 2, 2013
I thought this book had a cute story. I came out at the end of the book about how I thought it would be.

Rate and Discover Movies