5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Product, Great Customer Service
I was familiar with the Berkey name as the filter of choice when I lived in the jungle in Hawaii with rainwater catchment (and leptospirosis and giardia risk). So it seemed a good choice for my current situation of regular camping trips and also town errands with chlorinated city water.

The customer service on this item was overwhelmingly positive. It arrived...
Published on April 3, 2010 by Ela Harrison

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could rate 0 stars
This is a brilliant idea that is very poorly executed. The amount of pressure required to force water through the filter demands that the structural integrity of the bottle, cap, seals, and air valves be of appropriate strength to withstand repeated applications of pressure.
I bought 4 of these, and read the instructions and other feedback very carefully. OK, I...
Published on May 18, 2012 by Higgy77

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 515 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks Water, preventing functionality, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Based on reading the reviews of this product and viewing YouTube clips the product is VERY hit or miss. It seems as though half of them work, the other half do not.

In order for the product to function you have to squeeze the bottle to push the water through the filter. However, because the filter sits in the bottom of the bottle you cannot squeeze it much at all. Most importantly, when you can get a good squeeze of the bottom water just starts leaking all over the place. Maybe 20% of the time I could get the bottle to work, and the filter is very effective, but the other 80% of the time I just ended up with water all over my shirt.

I returned this product and was very dissatisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but..., August 23, 2013
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
This is just a pain in the ass. You'll wear yourself out initially squeezing it in order to eventually use it. Then you'll need to drink more water to rehydrate from that effort. I'm thinking Berkey is just selling this based on name recognition cuz I like their other products. This is totally impractical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Water purifier!, August 17, 2012
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Water bottle worked great up in the BWCA. Water tasted great every time. The one minor downfall was that the water comes out somewhat slow. Would highly recommend this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in a pinch but NOT a portable Berkey, December 6, 2011
POSITIVES:
1. Small size, portable.
2. Water tastes great.

NEGATIVES:
1. Filter requires an INORDINATE amount of pressure to produce water.
2. Filters are easily clogged after moderate use.
3. Air release at the top of the bottle LEAKS water so you'll need to use over a sink for indoor use.

The big Berkey filters for home use are great but these little guys don't measure up. The design is poor, requiring an insane amount of squeezing just to produce a few sips of drinking water. You'll start to choose dehydration over the effort soon enough. My wife and I have both battled hand cramps since using the Sports. The top of the lid leaks unfiltered water when applying pressure and both bottles ordered arrived dirty, scratched and dusty.
One positive is that the little water that is produced tastes good.

OVERALL: Skip the Berkey Sport and settle on the next smallest Berkey full-size filter instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can this be right? Complete failure....!, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Filtered water bottle sounded like a great idea for the upcoming trips to Thailand and Greece. The savings on bottled water alone easily justified the price. Read some reviews and were aware that you cannot gulp down the water like you are used to. The filter will create resistance and slow the process.
The bottle arrived with no instructions but Google can provide answers to any questions I had. The surprise was...... no water!
If you fill it up and let it sit for a while no amount of squeezing on the bottle or sucking the tube (until your face turns blue) would produce no more than a teaspoon of water from the thing.
By the time the trip to Thailand was over it was too late to return the darn thing. Twenty-four bucks is not the end of the world but either; A - this is a complete scam, B - I got a faulty unit, C - I don't know how to get water out of a water bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you get it going, February 7, 2014
mymom51 (Wanatah, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Once you get it going, it is great. You absolutely must get it primed. I bought 4 of these for a trip to Peru. You must fill them with water and physically push the water out two or three times until the water is clear and it becomes easy. I have read about people having problems with this and will assume they had defective bottles as I had no problems with any of the four I bought and used. Turns out, where we were, everyone uses bottled water and it was fairly cheap but better safe than sorry when it comes to that. I have a sensitive system and sometimes react to different water in the states so I will use mine whenever I am out and about here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible execution, never even used it in the field, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Don't like this thing, at all. It's big, bulky, and a pain to use. The little sippy straw that comes out of the top is crushed by the lid and doesn't look too robust. You have to fill the bottle and then squeeze the whole thing to force water out the top. It comes out in a dribble. The filter element is left to swing around freely inside while it's empty, so it's probaby prone to breaking. I had to stuff ziplock bags in mine in an effort to protect and silence it, not to mention recover precious volume in my pack. This of course, adds to the hassle of using the damn thing. I replaced this with a sawyer squeeze point one system with a pair of platypus bags, and an adapter kit to line directly into my 3L camelbak. That is an excellent system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondermous!!!, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
I used this as my only filter for a 44.2 mile hike across the Olympic mountains. It was perfect for that region, as we could often refill it, as water was plentiful. Here is the big win, refilling takes less than 5 seconds. Unscrew cap, dip bottle, screw cap back on and drink. I even drank straight from the river without using the bottle. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Water filter, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
Water tastes great! I use Berkey system in my home. Bought this for air travel. I do not like sucking on the straw - you can't sip it. Will use as travel often and all kinds of water. Good to have good and safe water,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, April 12, 2013
This review is from: Berkey Sport Bottle Portable Water Purifier
This thing made travel easy. Everyone else was either looking for water bottles and or carrying around huge water bottles. It was great to save the effort, cash and weight. I used this exclusively as my water source in a third world country. My delicate U.S. stomach arrived home happy and healthy. It's a great buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 515 | Next ›